The Myth of the Muslim Tide: Do Immigrants Threaten the West?

The Myth of the Muslim Tide: Do Immigrants Threaten the West?

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From the author of prize-winning Arrival City, a controversial and long-overdue rejoinder to the excessive fears of an Islamic threat that have spread throughout America and Europe and threaten our basic values.

Since September 11, 2001, a growing chorus has warned that Western society and values are at risk of being overrun by a tide of Islamic immigrants. These sentiment...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Vintage

Joe
When Anders Behring Breivik went on a shooting spree that left 69 dead at a Norwegian summer camp a year ago, he left behind a manifesto that ran to 1,518 densely typed pages. In it, he proselytized his conviction that Muslims will make up a majority of Europe’s population by 2080.

Breivik’s alarmist sentiments were hardly original and stemmed from the writings and blogs of many mainstream right-wing western writers, including Daniel Pipes, Patrick Buchanan and Canadian Mark Steyn.

The core of the...more
Libby
"The Myth of the Muslim Tide" contends that immigration of Muslims to the West is viewed as a threat when, according to the author (Doug Saunders), the reality is that a collective emotional vulnerability perpetuates the myth. This is "...because Muslims are often very visible, and often more controversial than other migrants, they may seem to be far more numerous than they really are. And, sometimes, their presence leads us to suspect that there must be something wrong with us" (pg. 58). The au...more
Darcy
Much like Saunder’s superlative Arrival City, this work is very well researched and takes aim at phobias focusing on Muslim migration to the West. Taking on the preponderance of works that raise concerns over Muslim migration on religious and cultural grounds, Saunders does an excellent job sifting through the rhetoric to identify the root issues. He then dispels most concerns with a journalist’s touch and a solid parade of evidence. The research is excellent and the comparisons to earlier waves...more
H Wesselius
Simple and to the point. Saunders uses simple data and past history to create holes in any "Eurabia" or "Muslim Tide" argument. He rightly points out similar fears to Catholic and Jewish immigration were unfounded and goes on to explain how those fears are misplaced and wrong once again. Well worth the read but in all likelihood not going to convert any of the ideologues who fear the "Other".
Kevin
Everyone who has even a passing interest in affairs in the Muslim world ought to read this very lucid survey of public opinion attitudes among Muslim immigrants in western countries. The statistics essentially prove that all the alarmist assertions made by Islamophobes in the West are pretty much wrong (e.g., Muslims are plotting to impose sharia law in the west, Muslims are drowning their Christian and Jewish neighbors in the West by outbreeding them, etc.). The fact is, Muslim immigrants are a...more
Lisa
This is an excellent book that systematically and logically debunks "popular fiction" about Muslim immigration patterns. The author addresses individual myths and claims made (and often made up) by conservative writers that incite fear. He uses reliable polling and survey data to demonstrate Muslims will never make up more than 12% of the population of any western nation. Within two generations they assimilate and have the same birth rate, religious affiliation rate, and patriotic inclinations a...more
Beth
The author does a very good job of discrediting the hysteria surrounding the Muslim immigration populations in various countries at this moment in history. He does so very factually and by unpacking the assumptions and misinformation in the mass media.

I especially like the way he organizes the book. He looks at the broad issues created by the media, then picks those apart with fact, look back at history to show how what is happening is nothing new and then discusses what he thinks are some legit...more
Murtaza
A short, efficient volume that rubbishes the claims of clash-of-civilization ideologues and contextualizes the arrival of Muslim immigrants with Catholics and Jews decades before them (the responses and challenges were much the same, perhaps even more strenuous).

He does a good job of showing the profoundly thin ice immigrant-scaremongering scholars are actually standing on. Much of their claims are indistinguishable from the antisemitism and anti-immigrant demagoguery of the past, based on shall...more
The Muslim Problem. It’s true that every generation of Americans experiences some sort of fear and dread of a massive invasion of undesirables. The utopian Puritans feared the pacifist Quakers. The Anglican planters feared the Baptist-converting Scots-Irish poor. The Federalists in office feared the Republican-leaning French and Irish. The white Christians feared the Chinese Confucians. The list goes on.

Unfortunately, any discussion about the perceived threats of some immigrant group is clouded...more
It’s no secret that many Western countries fear change. The United States, in particular, seems to endorse this discomfiting belief that our way is the best and, more tellingly, the ONLY way to do things. Anything that threatens to alter the way we think about our world and structure our communities sets off nation-wide alarm.

Unfortunately for us, and for those around us, this means that we’re almost always in a state of utter panic. The world is an inherently changing place and we cannot avoid...more
John Russell
I heard about this book via an NPR interview with the author which I found very compelling. For a long time, I've been curious about Islam and everything related to the Arab world, and I'm constantly trying to defend the religion and its adherents from the narrow-minded attacks it so often attracts. In said interview, Mr. Saunders cited many astounding facts that soundly lay to rest the assumptions that Muslims are opposed to integration or that they tend to support the acts of terrorists and ji...more
Cary Hilbert
While many may avoid reading this so as not to be subjected to a discourse on the merits of Islam relative to judeo-christian faiths, the author entirely avoids weighing the relative validity of beliefs. The aim of the text is, rather, to substantiate a balanced perspective, as a Westerner, of living among people whose backgrounds are quite different than one's own. Saunders's refutations are clearly laid out and unambiguous, and there is no lack of supporting evidence making manifest the irrati...more
James
The author makes a powerful case that Muslim immigrants as a group are no different than earlier groups who have come to America. It's one of those books that clears out all the half-truths and falsehoods clogging discussion of an issue. Its thesis is essentially that everything Pamela Gellar and Bruce Bawer have told you is wrong. And Saunders commands a wealth of data to prove his case.
Muslims in American and the West, he documents, are no more sympathetic to violence than other people. They...more
Dave Mcmahon
A very interesting book which debunks many myths about the Muslim supposed "invasion" of Western societies. Eye-opening statistics and parallels with previous episodes of "migration-invasion scare" by Roman Catholics and Jews.

Facts, statistics, common sense.
Kenneth
This book will open your eyes about the Islamic population and how that demographic developed in the Western world. It takes specific misconceptions and prejudices and shoots them down like skeet. The fact that the writer is able to show it's a rerun of the old anti-Catholic and anti-Semitic prejudice will seal the deal.
Barbara Kellam-scott
Heard Saunders on "Fresh Air," talking about who he thinks is behind the promulgation, if not the making, of the "Innocence of Muslims" film and the mess being blamed on it. I was so impressed, I ran out and bought the book, and I'm hoping to run a rolling review of it on PolicyMic.com. Glad to hear from others.
Thebookmistress
Includes recent and fascinating demographic research, even if not all conclusions made perfect sense. I found the Catholic Tide/Jewish Tide sections interesting but irrelevant. Definitely worth reading, but cannot be taken as one true view on the matter.
Paul
Excellent evidence-based overview of the history of immigration waves, the threat to society they are perceived to be and their eventual integration into the mainstream. Whatever your views on this issue, Saunders presents an argument worth considering.
Cow
(Hint: the answer to the title question is "no".)

Lots of research, lots of numbers, a few compelling stories. It's well put together. I've already read enough that I mostly skimmed huge chunks of it, but it'd make a fine little intro text.
Anthony Nuccio
Absolutely fantastic read. It was an easy read that is packed full of facts and information to counter the popular Orientalist lies. I highly recommend for all to read.
Karen Boothroyd
Excellent! Well researched and balanced. Puts the current situation here in the West into historical perspective. Recommended read for everybody.
Gina Long
easy to read. Parallels the statistics of previous immigrants and current Muslim immigration to dispel the myth of "creeping Sharia."
!Tæmbuŝu
Dec 27, 2012 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to !Tæmbuŝu by: Foreign Affairs
Elke
An honest and thorough look at the stupidity of Islamphobia.
Informative. Useful facts for conversations.
Mansoor Ladha
Mansoor Ladha marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Doug Saunders is a Canadian-British author and journalist.
More about Doug Saunders...
Arrival City: The Final Migration and Our Next World Myten om den muslimska flodvågen