Start by marking “Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles #5)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  16,964 ratings  ·  954 reviews
After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Iris...more
Mass Market Paperback, 290 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by Del Rey (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trapped

Cold Days by Jim ButcherThe Blinding Knife by Brent WeeksThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniTricked by Kevin Hearne
Adult Fantasy & Sci-Fi 2012
12th out of 409 books — 820 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
41st out of 535 books — 837 voters

More lists with this book...

Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Okay... I'm going to try something a little different. One would hope, at this point, that anyone interested in reading the Iron Druid (this installment specifically) would have read the previous books. So instead of telling you what a clever dog Oberon is (he seriously deserves a treat) or mention how funny it is (I SO wish I could hear the story -in person- of "The Purloined Poodle" featuring two dogs and Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago) or how action packed it is (okay, how many Gods...more
Patrick

I got to read #5 early! Ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh!

My only regret is that I didn't read the Two Ravens and One Crow novella that Hearne put out first.

It's listed as book 4.5, and I think it would have really helped to bridge the gap for me. When I started this one, I hit a sort of mental speed-bump when Twelve years had passed. It really threw me for a loop.

Alas, I didn't know about the novella before I started reading this one. And now, even though I do know about it. I probably won't be ab...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, look at that! Once again, everyone’s favorite druid Atticus O’Sullivan somehow managed to anger just about every deity from every pantheon worshiped by mankind. (Well, everyone except Perun, but that’s understandable – Perun is Slavic and our gods are all kinds of awesome. Not too bright, but awesome.) This is turning out to be a special talent of Atticus’s, and a good thing too, or we would have nothing to read about.

After twelve (!) years of training, binding Granuaile to earth...more
♥Rachel♥
Loved how bad-ass Granuaile's become! And finally (view spoiler)

I don't know if I would say this ended on a cliffhanger but it was definitely a BIG "to be continued". I can't recommend the audio version of this series enough. Luke Daniels is the shit! He gets 5 stars for his performance.
Brandt
Dec 05, 2012 Brandt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone in the mood for some light and humorous UF..
2,5/5

Butcher keeps raising the bar for Urban Fantasy, and Hearne just provides more of the same..
This series keeps getting more and more uninteresting, 90 % of the characters in the books are gods..
Not humans, but superhumans with awesome powers.. However all the gods seems stupid, immature, and petty (and not at all powerful compared to Atticus..)
It's not that i have a problem with the amount of respect Hearne shows for his subject matter (which is close to non-existing, but what do i care), i...more
Elspeth
When I got the email that I was accepted for a advance copy of Trapped I almost didn’t believe it. I stared at the email for a few minutes then quickly downloaded it to my kindle just in case they changed their minds.

At that point I hadn’t read Tricked yet, I have a very bad habit of hoarding series books that I love. I bounce back and forth from wanting to read it terribly to wanting to wait because as soon as I read it I will have to wait FOREVER for the next installment.

So after finishing Tri...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
note : all phrases in brackets [ ] are thoughts from my favorite dog, Oberon.

FINALLY. There were a few big 'finally' moments in Trapped. One of the biggest finally moments I refuse to spoil for you, but I think it's safe to mention that Granuaile finally became a full-fledged druid in this book because we've been waiting for it a long time and knew it was going to happen eventually. Yay for her getting her animal forms!
Granuaile's joy at this new (form) elicited an extremely loud road, startli
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Find more reviews like this one at The Demon Librarian

12 years later...

I love the cover for this; it's so nice to see Granuaile on there. And it was great to be back with the trio again (adding in Oberon, of course) but I have to say this was probably my least favourite book in the Iron Druid Chronicles so far.

I don't know if maybe it was me not paying close enough attention or if it was just a bit all over the place, but I spent much of the book a bit lost and confused, if I'm honest. Just sor...more
D.G.
As usual, this was exciting book, full of interesting action and unexpected twists but I got mad by the way the business with Atticus and Granuaile got resolved. When I read a book in the first person, I expect to know something about that person's emotions but the author spent more time on wisecracks that on really revealing Atticus' feelings.

I don't know why I keep getting disappointed with the continued lack of emotional disclosure by Atticus. It's clear that the author is just not going ther...more
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

This book was fun “trapped” between a cover! I was skeptical when I saw Trapped would take us twelve years in the future, but I’ve learned not to doubt Kevin Hearne. This book was exciting, sexy, hilarious, tense, and everything in between. It is definitely one of the stronger entries in a consistently strong series.

We find Atticus and Granuaile still in hiding, but Granuaile has completed her druidic training and is ready to be bound t...more
Eric
Oct 31, 2013 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to get into the urban fantasy genre
Recommended to Eric by: Nicole Evans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Now that I am caught up to real-time with this series, it seems like a good point to assess it as a whole. In previous reviews, I have praised two things that are starting to become formulaic, and hence losing their luster:

First is the idea that Atticus's actions have consequences. While I still love that their is significant plot development and that everything does not just "reset" to normal at the end of each book, I am starting to see a plot loop that looks something like this:
1) Atticus ne
Limbo
Let me start off by saying, by now it's getting pretty boring. It's mostly all the same crap, with none of the fun or interesting elements thrown in.

However, it's better than the last book.

But then, the last book was mostly just a giant cultural insult.

The power ratios are getting fairly stupid. Atticus is constantly cheat coding everything that moves. There're no stakes in any of the fights at all. And even Atticus' fun personality can't do anything to make those action sequences less boring.

Th...more
Nita
This book jumps a whole decade. It takes 12 years to train a druid apprentice and Granuaile is just about done with her apprenticeship with Atticus. They just have her binding to the earth to do. They've been in hiding; most everyone, including the gods, think Atticus is dead. But just as they start Granuaile's binding, they are discovered. Atticus has many who wish him dead, including a few different gods and the dark elves.

This is my favorite Iron Druid Chronicle so far. What I really enjoyed...more
Ami
After loving this series for 4.5 books, this time I hit a bump. I don't know if it because I was in the wrong mood ... but the book felt off. Or maybe because of the 12-years time jump?

Atticus still likeable but Oberon was slightly annoying. I didn't find his quips as funny as the previous books. In fact, most often, his quips felt like filler, just an annoying background noise. I wasn't impressed with supposedly romance plot too -- PROBABLY because for the last 4.5 books, Atticus and Granuaile...more
Maggie K
I probably would have at least TRIED to finish this, but I left it at the beach, and have no interest in going to the trouble of finding another copy. The juvenalia type humor would be fine in small doses, but apparently this one wasn't edited, and I kept rolling my eyes at the 'one too many' jokes.
I cant beleive that when I first read Hounded I would have ever wanted Oberon to shut up.....very sad day.
Jacob Proffitt
Okay, this one is more of a running . . . run than anything resembling a plot. Atticus and Granuaile are coming out of the 12-year fade from the end of the last book. This is a wise decision (though I sense some short stories fit in there), as Granuaile needed those years for training and there's a limit to how much you can interrupt that or drag it out in a series. And Granuaile the graduate druid is nineteen kinds of awesome.

At least some of my trouble with the book is that Granuaile's "bindin...more
MLE
One of my favorite urban fantasy series just keeps getting better and better. In too many series when the main character makes a mistake they are protected from the consequences, or the consequences really aren't all that serious. That is if the main character makes any serious mistakes at all. This is definitely not the case here where carless words spoken by Atticus in a previous book have serious, and deadly consequences for both himself, and others (many, many others). It's time for Atticus...more
Alex
These books aren't long enough! Another 8 months until this book is out apparently. Sigh...that's a long time!

I love this series thus far, but if you've read the first chapter of this book which is included at the end of the 4th book, you know this one takes place 12 years later. I am not a big fan of books that time jump like that. Especially one this long.

The last book ends with Granuaile still being an inexperience Druid apprentice and now suddenly this book jumps 12 years and she's about to...more
FV Angela
* ARC provided by Netgalley
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-trappe...

As both a lover of urban fantasy and a cover whore, yes I will admit that sometimes I buy a book just because it has a pretty cover, I initially started reading Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series because of the combination of interesting blurb and cute redhead. See this man <— , this man is a cutie pie. I’m not normally into the curly-haired, redheaded look, but I will make an exception for him. Afte...more
Mihir

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall rating = 3 & 1/2 Stars

ANALYSIS: Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid Chronicles has grown from strength to strength since its publication in 2011. Kevin’s writing style along with his characterization has made him the darling of urban fantasy readers all over the world. He’s often talked as the next-in-line author for Jim Butcher fans to go to and for many he has become an author to be followed in his own right. I was very much enamored by Atticus...more
Jacqie
This is another review where I tell you how much I like Kevin Hearne, and then proceed to be lukewarm about his book.

The gaming feel of this book is even stronger than in the previous ones. In this one, Granuaile "levels up" by becoming a full druid and gaining her animal forms and powers. If you do table-top gaming, you know that the power-up sessions are often not especially dramatic. You're excited that your character has keen new powers and strength, but not a lot of deep stuff usually goes...more
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
I'M SO HAPPY!!

I'M VERY VERY HAPPY!!

I'M JUST TOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that this is a fantasy/adventure book and I'm not supposed to capitalize on the love part.. BUT, DAYYMMM.. If that wasn't worth the wait!

I have been rooting for those two from book one which seems like a million years ago after everything that happened. Finally, not only were they able to make Granuaile into a full blown druid, they were also able to see just how much they meant to each other. I'm glad that they "got...more
Chel (The Procrastinator's Corner)
Also posted on The Procrastinator's Corner

I loved the first four books in the Iron Druid Chronicles and book four, Tricked, is my most favorite so far so it hurts me to say that after the best book in the series comes my least favorite, Trapped. I loved the humor and the action-packed scenes in the previous books and while those aspects are still present in Trapped, they all suddenly felt tedious to me and they fell far too short for my liking.

Whenever I read a new book from this series, I alway...more
Kelly
When things are at their worst, Atticus is at his best. You know, that pretty much sums up the entire series. I mean, the guy can have the most horrific injuries imaginable and have any number of bad guys trying to fillet him and he always manages to make things work to his advantage. It's not always pretty and it's not always painless but he gets it done. I like that in a Druid.

I really, really, REALLY love Granuaile. She's not willing to sit on the sidelines and let others fight her battles fo...more
The Flooze
Ah, the ever-aggravating review of a later installment...

As I posited in my wrap-up of Tricked, the original trilogy scheme was just too limiting for Hearne. Breaking free of that allows him to better realise the vast mythological playground he's envisioned for his characters.

Enhanced worldbuilding and deeper character development are the most notable features of Tricked. My understanding of Atticus has taken great leaps in the past two books: his motivation, his connection to the earth, his wel...more
Tammi
There was so much good and so much bad.

Atticus and Oberon were still cool characters and did like how Granuaile grew up. I like learning more about them, how they interact with the elements and Gaia, and the gods were fleshed out more.

This book felt like the author took a many different short stories and mashed it into one book. Each individual story was interesting but as whole it was a big old mess.

And did we really did need the dwarf story. My god, it went on and on and on. I read books on m...more
Dawn
While not my favorite of the Iron Druid books, Trapped is still a fun, face-paced, easy, and entertaining read. In this offering, Granuaile has completed her Druid training and is read to be bound to the earth by Atticus. Of course things don’t go according to plan as one of Atticus’ bad decisions (really for a 2,100 year old Druid, Atticus makes some pretty DUMB decisions) and the bounding is interrupted. Atticus, Granuaile, and Oberon must deal with Bacchus and Loki who are both out to kill At...more
This volume of the Iron Druid series left me a bit on the fence--I still love Oberon the Irish wolfhound, there were still moments that made me laugh out loud, and I loved seeing Granuaile begin to come into her own as a druid. That said, though I liked it better than the last book overall, the plot felt all over the place. One good thing about the series is that actions have consequences, and the repercussions are sometimes felt far in the future. But this time it seemed as though too much happ...more
Cathy  Keaton
3.5/5 stars.

I can't like these books as much anymore.... >_< Why is Leif like this now? Please make him normal again, Mr. Hearne! *begs like a hound*

Ever since Book 4, Leif Helgarsson has been...well, weird and out-of-character. Where's the spoken iambic pentameter? Where's all the irritation at Atticus' stupid vampire questions? And where's the 1,000-year-old vampire who is so out of touch with modern times he needs an even older immortal to tell him how to be cool in today's world?

I'll...more
Anne
Decent, but not awesome.

The Good

Instead of dragging the series along while Atticus trains Granuaile, we get to fast-forward 12 years. She's ready to be bound to the earth and become a Druid when the story opens.

The Not As Good

The plot itself seems to be on repeat.
Atticus has angered gods/vampires/dwarves (or all of the above), and now he has to fight for his life.
Second verse, same as the first.
And with all of the mythology that gets mixed together, it can get somewhat confusing at times.

Recomm...more
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (MHI, #4)
  • Demon Driven (Demon Accords, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14)
  • Carniepunk
  • The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)
  • Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • Born of Hatred (Hellequin Chronicles, #2)
  • Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)

“When in doubt, blame the dark elves.” 40 likes
“Lie down and offer your throat. No, wait, that's how dogs submit. I know! Offer her you're wallet!" Oberon” 27 likes