Start by marking “Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles #5)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  25,747 Ratings  ·  1,154 Reviews
After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Iris
Mass Market Paperback, 290 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by Del Rey (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trapped

Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
37th out of 625 books — 1,110 voters
Cold Days by Jim ButcherThe Blinding Knife by Brent WeeksThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussTricked by Kevin HearneA Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison
Adult Fantasy & Sci-Fi 2012
11th out of 432 books — 859 voters

More lists with this book...

Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Okay... I'm going to try something a little different. One would hope, at this point, that anyone interested in reading the Iron Druid (this installment specifically) would have read the previous books. So instead of telling you what a clever dog Oberon is (he seriously deserves a treat) or mention how funny it is (I SO wish I could hear the story -in person- of "The Purloined Poodle" featuring two dogs and Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago) or how action packed it is (okay, how many Gods ...more
Patrick

I got to read #5 early! Ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh!

My only regret is that I didn't read the Two Ravens and One Crow novella that Hearne put out first.

It's listed as book 4.5, and I think it would have really helped to bridge the gap for me. When I started this one, I hit a sort of mental speed-bump when Twelve years had passed. It really threw me for a loop.

Alas, I didn't know about the novella before I started reading this one. And now, even though I do know about it. I probably won't be ab
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, look at that! Once again, everyone’s favorite druid Atticus O’Sullivan somehow managed to anger just about every deity from every pantheon worshiped by mankind. (Well, everyone except Perun, but that’s understandable – Perun is Slavic and our gods are all kinds of awesome. Not too bright, but awesome.) This is turning out to be a special talent of Atticus’s, and a good thing too, or we would have nothing to read about.

After twelve (!) years of training, binding Granuaile to earth
Phrynne
Apr 30, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Number five in the series and I really enjoyed this one! At last we have achieved two Druids instead of just one and Atticus has a real partner in crime. Oberon is still making his smart comments, the gods are making war and the Fae are making mischief. Nothing new except that Atticus is digging himself deeper and deeper into trouble with just about everyone and everything. There's lots of very clever world building and plenty of action leading to a serious cliff hanger of an ending. I am loving ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Another time I want to go slowly and carefully as many of my friends love this series. Personally I'll never really be a fan. I went into this series based on the same recommendation I've had on a few other UF series, to wit "if you like Jim Butcher's Dresden series you'll like these".

Mostly this just proves how differently everyone sees the Dresden series.

Our protagonist here is a Druid (as far as he knows the last)(view spoiler) who's been a
♥Rachel♥
Jan 02, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it
Loved how bad-ass Granuaile's become! And finally (view spoiler)

I don't know if I would say this ended on a cliffhanger but it was definitely a BIG "to be continued". I can't recommend the audio version of this series enough. Luke Daniels is the shit! He gets 5 stars for his performance.
Lyn
Nov 01, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it
Granuaile gets her time.

Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series continues with Trapped, his 2012 entry into the adventures of Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon. Atticus’ initiate Granuaile MacTiernan has been a major character since the beginning novel of the series, 2011’s Hounded, but Trapped sees author Hearne spend more time with Granuaile as she works to complete her training and become a full druid alongside Atticus. And while the growing sexual tension between the two is a factor in the narrative, m
Eon ♒Windrunner♒ & part-time Warder ☯
After the last Iron Druid book I read I wasn’t super excited for the next book in the series. I cannot actually remember what went wrong, but it still got 3 stars. No review though.

*tries to remember…

Nope. It’s not coming back. This book does pick up where the last left off so I wasn’t left wondering on that account, but not sure why I didn’t rate it higher. Either way I couldn’t find anything wrong with this one.

Action packed, humorous, well written and fun all the way. If you have read any o
Elspeth
Jun 18, 2014 Elspeth rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, urban-fantasy
When I got the email that I was accepted for a advance copy of Trapped I almost didn’t believe it. I stared at the email for a few minutes then quickly downloaded it to my kindle just in case they changed their minds.

At that point I hadn’t read Tricked yet, I have a very bad habit of hoarding series books that I love. I bounce back and forth from wanting to read it terribly to wanting to wait because as soon as I read it I will have to wait FOREVER for the next installment.

So after finishing Tri
Brandt
Dec 05, 2012 Brandt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone in the mood for some light and humorous UF..
2,5/5

Butcher keeps raising the bar for Urban Fantasy, and Hearne just provides more of the same..
This series keeps getting more and more uninteresting, 90 % of the characters in the books are gods..
Not humans, but superhumans with awesome powers.. However all the gods seems stupid, immature, and petty (and not at all powerful compared to Atticus..)
It's not that i have a problem with the amount of respect Hearne shows for his subject matter (which is close to non-existing, but what do i care), i
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Find more reviews like this one at The Demon Librarian

12 years later...

I love the cover for this; it's so nice to see Granuaile on there. And it was great to be back with the trio again (adding in Oberon, of course) but I have to say this was probably my least favourite book in the Iron Druid Chronicles so far.

I don't know if maybe it was me not paying close enough attention or if it was just a bit all over the place, but I spent much of the book a bit lost and confused, if I'm honest. Just so
Stacia (the 2010 club)
note : all phrases in brackets [ ] are thoughts from my favorite dog, Oberon.

FINALLY. There were a few big 'finally' moments in Trapped. One of the biggest finally moments I refuse to spoil for you, but I think it's safe to mention that Granuaile finally became a full-fledged druid in this book because we've been waiting for it a long time and knew it was going to happen eventually. Yay for her getting her animal forms!
Granuaile's joy at this new (form) elicited an extremely loud road, startli
D.G.
Jul 29, 2015 D.G. rated it liked it
As usual, this was exciting book, full of interesting action and unexpected twists but I got mad by the way the business with Atticus and Granuaile got resolved. When I read a book in the first person, I expect to know something about that person's emotions but the author spent more time on wisecracks that on really revealing Atticus' feelings.

I don't know why I keep getting disappointed with the continued lack of emotional disclosure by Atticus. It's clear that the author is just not going ther
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

This book was fun “trapped” between a cover! I was skeptical when I saw Trapped would take us twelve years in the future, but I’ve learned not to doubt Kevin Hearne. This book was exciting, sexy, hilarious, tense, and everything in between. It is definitely one of the stronger entries in a consistently strong series.

We find Atticus and Granuaile still in hiding, but Granuaile has completed her druidic training and is ready to be bound t
Eric
Oct 31, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to get into the urban fantasy genre
Recommended to Eric by: Nicole Evans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Now that I am caught up to real-time with this series, it seems like a good point to assess it as a whole. In previous reviews, I have praised two things that are starting to become formulaic, and hence losing their luster:

First is the idea that Atticus's actions have consequences. While I still love that their is significant plot development and that everything does not just "reset" to normal at the end of each book, I am starting to see a plot loop that looks something like this:
1) Atticus ne
Maggie K
Dec 29, 2013 Maggie K rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I probably would have at least TRIED to finish this, but I left it at the beach, and have no interest in going to the trouble of finding another copy. The juvenalia type humor would be fine in small doses, but apparently this one wasn't edited, and I kept rolling my eyes at the 'one too many' jokes.
I cant beleive that when I first read Hounded I would have ever wanted Oberon to shut up.....very sad day.
Limbo
Dec 13, 2012 Limbo rated it liked it
Let me start off by saying, by now it's getting pretty boring. It's mostly all the same crap, with none of the fun or interesting elements thrown in.

However, it's better than the last book.

But then, the last book was mostly just a giant cultural insult.

The power ratios are getting fairly stupid. Atticus is constantly cheat coding everything that moves. There're no stakes in any of the fights at all. And even Atticus' fun personality can't do anything to make those action sequences less boring.

Th
Nita
Nov 02, 2012 Nita rated it it was amazing
This book jumps a whole decade. It takes 12 years to train a druid apprentice and Granuaile is just about done with her apprenticeship with Atticus. They just have her binding to the earth to do. They've been in hiding; most everyone, including the gods, think Atticus is dead. But just as they start Granuaile's binding, they are discovered. Atticus has many who wish him dead, including a few different gods and the dark elves.

This is my favorite Iron Druid Chronicle so far. What I really enjoyed
Ami
After loving this series for 4.5 books, this time I hit a bump. I don't know if it because I was in the wrong mood ... but the book felt off. Or maybe because of the 12-years time jump?

Atticus still likeable but Oberon was slightly annoying. I didn't find his quips as funny as the previous books. In fact, most often, his quips felt like filler, just an annoying background noise. I wasn't impressed with supposedly romance plot too -- PROBABLY because for the last 4.5 books, Atticus and Granuaile
Majo
Spoilers de libros anteriores

Luego de un time skip de 12 años, Granuaile por fin está por convertirse en druida, pero el karma encuentra a su mentor, Atticus y se desata el infierno. Ambos deberán huir de los enemigos que los creyeron muertos por más de una década: los dioses nórdicos (view spoiler), el panteón greco-romano (view spoiler) y los vampiros del viejo mundo. (view spoiler)
Christy LoveOfBooks

4.5

“When in doubt, blame the dark elves.”

I love Atticus. I love Granuaile. I love Oberon. I love the humor . I love the secondary characters. I love Luke Daniels narrating. I love this series!

There you have it. The end.

Seriously, I’ve kind of been a slacker with this series, but no more! I’ve missed it too much. I like that Trapped jumps twelve years. Granuaile kicks ass now, and I can’t even tell you how much I love that Atticus finds it so attractive. He has confidence in her skills and treat
Jacob Proffitt
Okay, this one is more of a running . . . run than anything resembling a plot. Atticus and Granuaile are coming out of the 12-year fade from the end of the last book. This is a wise decision (though I sense some short stories fit in there), as Granuaile needed those years for training and there's a limit to how much you can interrupt that or drag it out in a series. And Granuaile the graduate druid is nineteen kinds of awesome.

At least some of my trouble with the book is that Granuaile's "bindin
MLE
Apr 29, 2013 MLE rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, arc
One of my favorite urban fantasy series just keeps getting better and better. In too many series when the main character makes a mistake they are protected from the consequences, or the consequences really aren't all that serious. That is if the main character makes any serious mistakes at all. This is definitely not the case here where carless words spoken by Atticus in a previous book have serious, and deadly consequences for both himself, and others (many, many others). It's time for Atticus ...more
Alex
Dec 04, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
These books aren't long enough! Another 8 months until this book is out apparently. Sigh...that's a long time!

I love this series thus far, but if you've read the first chapter of this book which is included at the end of the 4th book, you know this one takes place 12 years later. I am not a big fan of books that time jump like that. Especially one this long.

The last book ends with Granuaile still being an inexperience Druid apprentice and now suddenly this book jumps 12 years and she's about to
Susan
Jun 09, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Another exciting adventure in this mystical series. The beginning was a little slow for me, hence the 4 star rating, but it takes off, has a good ending and a great lead into the next book. Kevin Herne and Luke Daniels make an excellent duo, between the writing wit and creative voices it makes for a funny and entertaining ride. Oberon is laugh out loud funny, "unless you are a cat person", wink, wink. To get the most enjoyment out of all the fantastic characters, this is a series that should be ...more
FV Angela
* ARC provided by Netgalley
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-trappe...

As both a lover of urban fantasy and a cover whore, yes I will admit that sometimes I buy a book just because it has a pretty cover, I initially started reading Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series because of the combination of interesting blurb and cute redhead. See this man <— , this man is a cutie pie. I’m not normally into the curly-haired, redheaded look, but I will make an exception for him. Afte
Enzo
Mar 30, 2016 Enzo rated it really liked it
As always Kevin Hearne does a great job with the Iron Druid. "Trapped" which works best if you read "Two Ravens and One Crow" a short in between book novelette. Atticus knew he was in for some payback after his incursion against the Norse Gods. So that debt has finally come back to haunt him. Haunt might be a strong word but I think it fits.
So on the eve of Granuaile's "graduation" and looking forward to being bound to Gaia. Atticus is called to assist with the Norse. This troubles Atticus and
Per Gunnar
After having read the previous book in the series, Tricked, I was almost at the point of giving up on this series. The reason I did not was because I quite liked the first two instalments in the series and I really do not like to drop a series in the middle of things and thus rarely do it. This book is an improvement over the previous one. I am happy for this of course but, as you might deduce from the above, I do not really consider it a major feat and it just brings the book up to an average l ...more
Yodamom
Dec 05, 2012 Yodamom rated it really liked it
3.5
12 years latter...Atticus has finally finished his training of his apprentice Granuaile. Now he must bind her to the earth, there's only one problem. To bind her he must show himself and the gods he angered that think he's dead will know he is alive.

He must deal with the mistakes from his past. He has made many, and there are a lot who want him dead. Karma. Big bad nastiness come looking for Atticus, things get dark. Granuaile, must be binded before...

The relationship between master and stud
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 29, 2012 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The Iron Druid Chronicles has been one of the wittiest and clever series to break into the urban fantasy landscape over the past year. The prolific Hearne has released five titles in this series since 2011, helping to keep rabid fans satiated. In TRAPPED, however, he does more than deliver another hilariously smart tale, he lets twelve years pass between TRICKED and TRAPPED.

When a series is as fun as this one, skipping even one year is painful, so I was
Not enjoying Trapped #5 3 17 Feb 27, 2016 03:01AM
Nothing But Readi...: Hearne, Kevin - Trapped - (The Iron Druid Chronicles #5) May 5th, 2014 8 152 May 27, 2014 09:54AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Trapped (Iron Druid 5) 1 3 Aug 19, 2013 02:27PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Trapped by Kevin Hearne 1 2 Dec 11, 2012 04:52PM
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Carniepunk
  • Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5)
  • Duel Nature (Demon Accords, #4)
  • The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...

The Iron Druid Chronicles (9 books)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Untitled (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)

“When in doubt, blame the dark elves.” 51 likes
“Lie down and offer your throat. No, wait, that's how dogs submit. I know! Offer her you're wallet!" Oberon” 32 likes