Start by marking “The Limit, 1” as Want to Read:
The Limit, 1

The Limit, 1 (Limit #1)

Go with the flow

In classrooms across the globe there are cliques. These circles have set their own rules and standards that they attempt to impose on their peers, to varying success. Sometimes these groups go beyond the principles of friendship and scholarship. And in seemingly increasing numbers some of these groups turn to perversely righteous self-preservation.
Published October 9th 2012 by Vertical (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Limit, 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Limit, 1

Boys Over Flowers by Yoko KamioHana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya NakajoThe Wallflower, Vol. 1 by Tomoko HayakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki Nakamura
Dramas Based On Manga
61st out of 69 books — 45 voters
Attack on Titan, Volume 01 by Hajime IsayamaDeadman Wonderland, Volume 1 by Jinsei KataokaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaBlack Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoFuture Diary, Volume 1 by Sakae Esuno
Transgressive Manga
37th out of 69 books — 152 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean O'Hara
Survival-horror has been part of the manga landscape since at least Kazuo Umezu's The Drifting Classroom, but there's no doubt that it received a huge boost from Battle Royale. Nowadays it's everywhere -- Btooom!, Aphorism, Cage of Eden, RealPG, Strobo, etc. Nor is the genre confined to the shonen and seinen demographics as Keiko Suenobu's Limit demonstrates -- even girls in Japan want in on the thrill of murdering their classmates.

The story follows a predictable set-up -- Mizuki Konno's class i
Sue Moro
Jul 12, 2015 Sue Moro rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This is described as being similar to Lord of the Flies, and there are definitely elements of that story present. In Limit, we follow five girls that have survived a bus crash into a deep ravine that they are unable to escape from and thus must await rescue.

Within this group of girls there are two who've been considered members of the "popular" group although they aren't close friends, Mizuki Konno and Haru Ichinose. Haru has always been jealous of Konno's beauty and intelligence, although she
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Oct 04, 2012 Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe) rated it really liked it
When it comes to manga lately, I feel like I’ve been living under a rock. I received this review copy, and wasn’t familiar with the title at all. I love the cover, though, with the main protagonist standing defiantly, yet a bit battered, and staring boldly ahead. The cover is very simple and eye-catching, and I immediately sat down to read the book. Keiko Suenobu is also the author of LIFE, which was being released by Tokyopop before they shuttered their offices. I haven’t read any of that ...more
Maya
Nov 27, 2012 Maya rated it it was ok
Review for volumes 1 - 6 (whole series)

Battle Royale (Hunger Games) style survival stories are currently quite common in the manga medium, but Limit is the only version I'm aware of that's aimed at girls. After spotting the eye-catching cover repeatedly in the book store I was really looking forward to reading this series ... so I'm sad to say, it turned out to be quite the disappointment.

What sets the setting apart from other survival stories is that the characters aren't forced by some outsid
V
Feb 19, 2015 V rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, manga
Once upon a time, I read a little manga called LIFE and was promptly hooked. I watched the J-drama, I went on forums, and devoured volume after volume of the Tokyopop release from my local library. Then I discovered that Tokyopop weren’t going to publish it anymore, so I started to look for more chapters online.

But, after a while, the euphoria wore off. LIFE wound up dragging like hell and coming up with more and more contrived situations for Manami and co. to bully poor Ayumu in. Tokyopop got a
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Jan 11, 2014 Judy (Geeky Reading) rated it liked it
Shelves: own, manga
~3.5/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

I finally picked up this series, during the RightStuf! sale (ohmygod, you guys. That sale practically made me go broke) (kidding) (kind of). I’d heard both Kodansha and Vertical mention it, and it had never really caught my notice until they did. It fell completely under my radar, which is a shame.

I knew it would have darker themes, but I still didn’t know much about it until I decided to get it. I went into it knowing about the Lord of the Flies eleme
Mazohyst
Oct 14, 2016 Mazohyst rated it really liked it
I've read most of Keiko Suenobu's "Life" and as soon as I saw the cover of this book at the local library, I knew it was by her, without even looking at the author name. Suenobu has a tendency to focus on bullying in her manga (or is it just "Life" I don't even know anymore) and seeing that battered and worn girl just made it click. However, that's not the only reason why she's all battered up like that! In fact, that ISN'T the reason why she's battered up. It's survival of the fittest and they ...more
Guguk
Jul 07, 2015 Damon rated it really liked it
Fun
Chibineko
Nov 25, 2012 Chibineko rated it really liked it
If you've read Life, then you'll know what to expect in this as far as character interaction goes. If you're not familiar with Life, then let me warn you: Suenobu likes exploring the worst sides of society, especially the sides of society you see with high schoolers. In Life you had themes of self-harm, violence, and even rape. I've read the first volume and while this isn't as dark as Life could get at it's most depressing points, it's still fairly dark. I know that some readers don't prefer ...more
Pomme de Terre
2.5 stars. This is a review for the entire series since I think it's silly to count individual volumes as book; these things are so short you could literally finish one in ten minutes.

That said, I think the series is a ridiculous, melodramatic guilty pleasure, but it's a shoujo series that sees a group of girls get trapped in the wilderness after a bus crashes and kills all the rest of their classmates, which is (disappointingly) rare in shoujo manga, to say the least. It gets points for that, a
Puji P. Rahayu
Apr 29, 2013 Puji P. Rahayu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sabisteb
Apr 15, 2013 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die 2. Jahrgangsstufe fährt traditionell auf ein sogenanntes Klassen-Camp. Ziel und Zweck dieser Übung ist es, mitten in der Natur seinen unabhängigen Geist trainieren. Auf der Fahrt ins Camp kommt es zu einem folgenschweren Unfall. Die Lehrer, der Busfahrer und alle Schüler bis auf 5 kommen ums Leben. Diese 5 überlebenden Schülerinnen waren sich schon unter normalen Umständen nicht gerade freundlich gesinnt, da ist es wenig hilfreich, dass die Klassenaußenseiterin die einzige Waffe an sich ...more
Shiku
Nov 26, 2012 Shiku rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
The fist volume is, again, more about bullying than survival - seems like it's the author's favourite topic, but I really don't mind that too much.
The characters are a little bit superficial for now, but that's no surprise considering the few pages this volume has. There are some hints at more depth, but well, we'll see what the author has in mind. (Another review didn't make me too hopeful, though.)
The character development that was shown seemed a little bit radical. I do not doubt that pupils
Jenna
Aug 13, 2014 Jenna rated it liked it
7/29/14 edit: After rereading volumes one and two in one sitting, I did enjoy it much more than previously stated. The contrast between the shojo drawing style and the grimness of the survival story (as pointed out to me by Alex) did work this second time round, and provided an added sense of realism and horror that everything devolved so quickly. I would still say, however, that it did get rather Lord of the Flies very quickly, but in an exciting manner rather than a contrived one.

Will finish
Eric
Feb 01, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
picked this up thanks to a review from Comics Worth Reading. A group of students on a class trip have a horrific bus crash and are now thrown together and must survive. The first volume is more about classroom dynamics and bullying and the shift of power as the popular girls who rule the hallways are now at the mercy of a bullied girl with a weapon. this is fairly short for a manga collection (only 3 chapters, the first of which is double sized) so not much happens beyond the crash but it ends ...more
duniamimpigie Anggi
Apr 09, 2015 duniamimpigie Anggi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yang suka memerhatikan masalah bullying di anak SMA Jepang
Jujur, saya baru kenal pengarang ini. Jadi, enggak seperti reviewers yang lain, saya sama sekali enggak bisa ngebandingin dengan bukuna yang lain. (yah, anggep aja pembaca buta #ngasal)

Ini... yang menarik adalah pendalaman karakter. Komik ini enggak sedangkal yang saya kira pada awalna (dan saya meramalkan ke depanna pun akan semakin berat). Sayangna, kalau baca jilid ini aja, enggak bakal "berasa", kesanna halamanna kurang (entah gimana, pokona saya ngerasa ga cukup dan pengen langsung ada jili
morbidflight
Feb 18, 2014 morbidflight rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, relationships
Suenobu has the talent (shown in Life) of giving immense depth to something ostensibly superficial. The schoolgirl, perhaps one of the most dismissed characters in Japanese fiction, is given the attention she deserves (though very different from the figure of the schoolgirl in Usamaru's Short CutsShort Cuts, Vol. 1, heh).
Mark
Feb 09, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
If you want to read a story of survival in an extreme condition, you're bound to read some nasty stuff. What if the story itself features five high school girls who are hating each other? This is the first Keiko Suenobu work I ever read, and I must admit that I was taken by surprise with the characters. No one is nice enough for you to root for, not even the main character, Mizuki Konno. Can't wait to find out how the story will develop in the next volumes.
Kereesa
Feb 22, 2014 Kereesa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of darker manga
Recommended to Kereesa by: HalCon
Very Lord of the Flies meets Mean Girls but well done and kind of creepy. Gotta love manga for pushing the limits of utter hatred, humiliation, and human interaction. Great art, intriguing story, even if the main heroine is kinda of angsty and flighty.
Titis Wardhana
baru dalam keadaan darurat, sifat asli manusia pada kelihatan. Dilihat dari covernya, chara utama si Konno, tapi Konno ini sifatnya gak baik2 amat, gabung sama geng paling populer di skul biar aman gara2 trauma pas SMP. Yang paling mending Kamiya, paling tenang dan netral. Dan anak2 SMA tetap mengerikan kalau sudah soal bully2an...
Alex Gonzalez
Jul 24, 2014 Alex Gonzalez rated it liked it
What starts as a story reminiscent to Lord of The Flies in volume 1, degenerates into stereotypical shojo fare. By series' end I'm left frustrated. Just the same, a good enough read that ends long before you start to hate it.
Ravenhats
Nov 10, 2012 Ravenhats rated it really liked it
A interesting survival story about a small group of stranded highschoolers trapped in a lord of the flies type scenario. With the power given to a jealous and anger outcast with a scythe it is interesting to see how far the group will be pushed and if they can actually survive.
Jasmiina F
Jul 04, 2013 Jasmiina F rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Maybe too distressing manga for me. I liked the girl who's in the cover very much and I think she is the reason I'll read the next volume. Too bad she's the only character in this comic that I really like.
Dolores
May 05, 2015 Dolores rated it liked it
There were elements of this story that reminded me of "Dragon Head"--a graphic novel I read many years ago. Interesting, but definitely an exploration of the darkest corners of the human psyche and not for the faint of heart.
Hruotland
Liest sich weniger als Plädoyer gegen Mobbing, eher eine Warnung: »Mobbing ist OK, sorgt bloß dafür, dass das Opfer keine Waffe in die Finger kriegt.«
Ähhh… nein danke.
Sherry
Jun 14, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Awesome art work. The author quickly establishes character hierarchy and then it's just as quickly turned upside down. Moving onto volume 2.
Mikayla Clipperton
I was expecting some sort of school drama. But this is a whole new level of drama. A cool Who-done-it. I couldn't put it down until I finished the series.
Bethany
Feb 14, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-2013, manga
I actually really enjoyed this book! It's a shame how underrated it is. I'm looking forward to reading the next one! 4.5/5
Jessica
Apr 08, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
  • Cross Game 2 (Cross Game, #4-5)
  • Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit, Volume 1 (Ikigami, #1)
  • Arisa, Vol. 04 (Arisa, #4)
  • Dragon Head, Volume 1 (Dragon Head, #1)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 03
  • Young Miss Holmes, Casebook 1-2
  • Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1
  • Elfen Lied, Vol. 4 (Elfen Lied, #4)
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 8