Start by marking “Mission Flats” as Want to Read:
Mission Flats

Mission Flats

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,530 Ratings  ·  300 Reviews
Before the New York Times bestselling success of Defending Jacob, William Landay wrote this critically acclaimed first novel of crime and suspense—perfect for fans of John Grisham, Scott Turow, and Dennis Lehane.

“Landay writes with eloquent intensity.”—The New York Times Book Review

By a shimmering lake in western Maine, a body lies sprawled in a deserted cabin. The dead m
Published June 12th 2012 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mission Flats, please sign up.

Ina No this one was good but kind of boring. Defending Jacob was so much better on many levels. It's a book that you don't forget that easily so you can't…moreNo this one was good but kind of boring. Defending Jacob was so much better on many levels. It's a book that you don't forget that easily so you can't compare Mission flats with Defending Jacobs. It is two different books.(less)

Paul Pessolano
Feb 14, 2012 Paul Pessolano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Mission Flats” by William Landay, published by Dell.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

I had never heard of the author William Landay until a month ago when I read his novel, “Defending Jacob”. This was a truly exceptional read and you can find my review on “goodreads.com”. Suffice it to say I gave it the highest rating possible.

After reading “Defending Jacob” I went back to find what other books he had written. I just finished his first book, “Mission Flats”. What a marvel, I cannot determine which bo
Amanda Day
Kristine
Like many of the other reviewers, I too read Defending Jacob and enjoyed it. I enjoyed Mission Flats as well, even though I did find it to be a little slow in the beginning. It did pick up and had many plot twists and turns all the way up until the end.
The one problem I found with the story is that certain things just don't fit. One of the major complaints about mysteries is that they don't make sense or are unbelievable. This is often the reason people will give when saying that they don't li
Athena
Oct 20, 2015 Athena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Δεν μπορώ να πω ότι ενθουσιάστηκα με το πρώτο βιβλίο του William Landay, ο οποίος είναι συγγραφέας του μυθιστορήματος "Υπόθεση Jacob". Η πλοκή αυτού του βιβλίου ήταν συνηθισμένη και σε αρκετά σημεία γινόταν κουραστική. Υπήρχαν σημεία όπου ο ρυθμός ήταν πολύ αργός και κάποια άλλα που ήταν υπερβολικά γρήγορος. Επίσης, κάποιες στιγμές ένιωθα ότι έχανε σε αληθοφάνεια το κείμενο. Εκείνο που μου άρεσε ήταν η ανατροπή στο τέλος, ουσιαστικά, όμως, θεωρώ πως η "Διπλή Παγίδα" είναι ένα μέτριο αστυνομικό μ ...more
Maddy
Mar 12, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2003-reads
There's not much crime to speak of in the small town of Versailles (Ver-SALES), Maine. The chief of police, Ben Truman, is only 24 years old. He had been studying for his doctorate in history and returned home when his mother developed Alzheimer's. He eventually inherited the police chief job from his father. When Ben discovers the decomposing body of a prominent prosecutor from the Boston district attorney's office in a local cabin, life changes dramatically. Ben has never had to investigate an ...more
Glenda Ricord
Nov 18, 2011 Glenda Ricord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Glenda by: Goodreads Reviews
I absolutely loved this book. It was fast moving, well written and the end was a big surprise. I didn't figure it out until it was actually revealed at the end. This was William Landay's first book which won an award for Best First Novel. Well deserved. If you like mysteries this is one of the best I've ever read.

I have downloaded his second book which is entitled The Strangler. If it is half as good as Mission Flats it will get five stars as well.

John Johnston
Mission Flats was a back-to-back read for me after finishing William Landay's - Defending Jacob. I enjoyed the first book and this second book did not disappoint me. A law degree from Boston College and several years as a prosecutor have obviously prepared our William Landay well for his career as a writer of crime novels. Mission Flats is much more than the straightforward police procedural it at first seems to be. As the plot unfolds, it becomes clear that the novel is a psychological study of ...more
Michael
"Mission Flats" features small town police chief Ben Truman. His father was the chief before him and Ben left grad school in Boston so he could help care for his mother who had Alzheimer's Disease.

As part of his job, Ben checks the summer homes on the lake and this time, he finds the deceased body of a DA from Boston. The man had been murdered in a manner that pointed the finger at a drug dealer from Boston.

As the investigation gets under way, Boston officials try to take control but Ben insists
Angela
Apr 06, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slow and too predictable...and yet the so called twist just isn't believable. After reading Defending Jacob this book falls flat. I won't even bother with Landay's other book.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
A darned fine rookie effort, written by the guy who gave us Defending Jacob.
Rowena Hoseason
Jul 27, 2015 Rowena Hoseason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although there’s a recently-published edition on offer, Mission Flats is actually author William’s Landay’s debut crime thriller and it first saw light of day well over a decade ago. Landay obviously aimed at the literary end of the spectrum, and attempted to blend a pacey page-turner, brimming with plots twists and artful authorial deception, with more meaningful debate on policing, personal and social issues. Mission Flats aims high, then.

It’s also a curious mixture. The back-cover blurb sugge
Quillracer
Jan 22, 2013 Quillracer rated it it was ok
I hesitated to read this book after being thoroughly disappointed in Defending Jacob. Still, any author can turn out one bad book, so I gave Landay a second chance.

Mission Flats is better than Defending Jacob but not by much. Landay tells Ben Truman’s story in a conversational voice. The story reads like he’s telling the story to a friend not reporting on events. Then he goes and spoils that easy tone with long narrative passages (sometimes whole chapters) of Ben’s thoughts that slow the story d
Celeste
This review is going to sound bipolar. The characters are realistic and the plot is brilliant. The ending - even after I had somewhat guessed whodunnit - still threw me for a loop. But I struggled to get through it, and I never got emotionally involved. I'd compare it to watching a movie that's won a bunch of Oscars, but bores the audience even though it's flawless. Maybe it's because the author was a prosecutor for the DA's office - so it's written in a very clinical, Law & Order sort of wa ...more
Dan Maguire
When I started this book I really enjoyed it. In fact, I wish I could give it 4 or 5 stars. The writing was solid, the story interesting, and the characters mostly well sketched. I don't want to write too much about the plot, but what brought the story down for me is that toward the end, the reader learns that one of the characters has been pretending not to know things he's actually known all along. I did not find this clever or rewarding, in fact, I found it somewhat deceitful and frustrating. ...more
Donald Grant
Jun 10, 2015 Donald Grant rated it liked it
William Landay is a good writer. He brings you into this story and holds you until the end. Yes, there are more characters to track, but they were necessary.

A small town police chief gets caught up in a murder and finds himself going to the big city to solve the case. A female DA who catches his eye and crooked cops who seem to stymy his investigation. All somewhat cliche, except Landay keeps you turning the page with anticipation as to how it will all turn out. Isn’t that what a good mystery do
Kimberly Russell
I have a love/hate relationship with this one. On one hand the first half of the book was really boring. On the other hand parts of the story were still really interesting. Landay's writing is supurb so I kept reading. Then it got boring for a while. Then he smakes you with an awesome twist. For me, it was worth the read because the writing quality is so fantasic. If you read Defending Jacob then you know he is the awesome at a badass twist near the end.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Μπεν Τρούμαν: ο νεότερος διοικητής αστυνομικού τμήματος στις ΗΠΑ εργάζεται στο Βερσάιγ, εγκαταλείποντας τις σπουδές Ιστορίας στο Πανεπιστήμιο της Βοστόνης. Η μητέρα του ανακάλυψε ότι πάσχει από Αλτσχάιμερ και βρήκε το θάρρος να αυτοκτονήσει πριν εκφυλιστεί η ασθένειά της. Αυτή η κίνηση στοίχειωσε για πάντα τις ζωές του γιου της και του συζύγου της, Κλοντ.

Ρόμπερτ Ντάνζιγκερ: εισαγγελέας από τη Βοστόνη. Το πτώμα του βρέθηκε σε αποσύνθεση σε ερημική κατοικία κοντά στη λίμνη του Βερσάιγ.

Χάρολντ Μπρά
Tina
Jun 04, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read Defending Jacob and loved it. That's why I decided to read Mission Flats. Well, Mission Flats fell flat for me. I did manage to finish it, but it was a marginal crime/thriller that barely kept me interested enough to continue reading. This isn't at all what I had expected. I'll give it 2 stars instead of one just because this is one of the author's older works. Maybe his next novel after Defending Jacob will be awesome.
Alan Zabel
I read "MIssion Flats" because I had thoroughly enjoyed Landay's later book, "Defending Jacob". "Mission Flats" had all the elements of a good mystery, it kept me turning pages, lots of plot twists and revelations, and so on. I didn't like it quite as much as "Defending Jacob". I believe that the characters were more finely drawn in "Defending Jacob". Still, "Mission Flats", Landay's first novel, is a highly enjoyable read.
Arnie Shunneson
May 02, 2014 Arnie Shunneson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Mostly I liked it. that is the spoiler free review.

Now with SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

At times during the book I was acutely aware that the author wanted you to suspect Gittens as the bad guy. All the while I was thinking "he wants me to think its this guy so it must not be this guy" . For a moment Mr. Landay tried to double trick me out of that stance but of course that is exactly what he was doing.

That being said the book was enjoyable, well written and the ending was good and I did not know for sure wh
Melinda
Oct 05, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This was Landay's debut novel. As obvious from the comments here, many readers like myself decided to go back and read this 10 year old book after loving his more recent novel, Defending Jacob. Even standing alone, I enjoyed this psychological murder mystery thriller. The pacing was not as deliberate and definitive as that of DJ, but it did not disappoint as a debut. He was developing his skill with plot twists that he would later fine tune in DJ.
Told in the first person narrative voice, the nov
Δώρος Αντωνιάδης
Αυτό είναι το δεύτερο βιβλίο του Λάντεϋ που διαβάζω. Θα το χαρακτήριζα πιο κλασικό αστυνομικό μυθιστόρημα έναντι της Υπόθεσης Jacob που ήταν μια ιστορία πιο εσωτερική, που έπαιζε πιο πολύ με τους χαρακτήρες και τη διάβρωση τους στον χρόνο. Στην αρχή αισθάνθηκα πως διάβαζα μια απλή ιστορία χωρίς ιδιαίτερο ενδιαφέρον. Ο Μπεν με εκνεύριζε που ήταν τόσο άσχετος, τόσο άπειρος. Στην πορεία όμως όλοι οι χαρακτήρες -αλλά κυρίως ο Μπεν- ωριμάζουν. Στη Βοστόνη η ιστορία γίνεται πιο ενδιαφέρουσα και ειδικά ...more
Anne-Marie
Feb 15, 2012 Anne-Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful, well let me re-phrase that. Boring, SO boring I had to struggle to get through it. William Landay has come a looooong way, "Defending Jacob" was amazing!
Jody
May 02, 2012 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as "Defending Jacob" but it was entertaining. Characters weren't as developed and the story line wasn't as strong but all in all I liked it.
Jackie Nolden
Jul 08, 2015 Jackie Nolden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot. Quite different than Defending Jacob. Landay's characters are flawed people; like most of us.
Val Wilkerson
I enjoyed the book, it to had a great suprise ending, just didn't grip me
like Landay's book "Defending Jacob" did.
Carmen
Jan 12, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel certainly made me think about right and wrong. I've long held the belief that some laws are unjust, and those that seek to enforce unjust laws, and those who persecute someone because they broke that questionable law, are in fact, morally "criminal" themselves.

I'd go so far as to give a pass to the cops that forced a cop killer to jump off a bridge. Saved taxpayer money. "Rough Justice" has an appeal to me, especially in view of the fact that keeping folks in prison at the rate we do
Thart2002
I listened to abridged version of this novel and do so while driving. I say this to explain my lower rating. I am not going to give any details away but need to say the reason I am giving it a two instead of a three is the ending. Though it tied some of the ends together I felt like I missed something along the way or if I didn't miss something I was duped by the author. There were things that I liked about the ending but a day later I find myself wondering about it. Again, my confusion could be ...more
Elisa
Dec 04, 2012 Elisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, a good read, but definitely NOT "Defending Jacob".
Marian Gassmann
Feb 02, 2015 Marian Gassmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read Defending Jacob, I was eager to read another book by this author. Mission Flats is an entertaining "who dun it", though not as engaging as Defending Jacob. I actually had an inkling as to how the story would end, and I prefer to be surprised. I believe if I had read this book before ever picking up Defending Jacob, I may have enjoyed it more. However, I will rate it four stars based solely on it's entertainment value, and ability to keep me reading, instead of my usual habit of falli ...more
  • Boston Requiem
  • The Devil's Redhead
  • Officer Down
  • Pyres
  • The Ninth Step
  • The Beggar's Opera (Inspector Ramírez, #1)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #1)
  • Dead Lions (Slough House, #2)
  • The Many Aspects of Mobile Home Living
  • Loyalty (Fina Ludlow, #1)
  • Run The Risk (Alex Delillo, #1)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • The Victim
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Hard Revolution
  • Silent Waters
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance
William Landay is the author of the New York Times bestseller Defending Jacob. Previous novels include Mission Flats, winner of the Dagger Award for best debut crime novel, and The Strangler, which was an L.A. Times favorite crime novel and nominated for the Strand Magazine Critics Award as best crime novel of the year.
More about William Landay...

“But sometimes you can't figure everything out because you can't ever really understand other people. You can't understand why they do what they do. You just have to accept a little mystery, Ben. People are mysterious, the world is mysterious. You can't know everything. You're not supposed to. This isn't a history book. It's just the world. It's a messy place.” 13 likes
“We move through time like a man in a rowboat, looking back even as we move forward.” 8 likes