Start by marking “The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection” as Want to Read:
The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection

The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection (Batman)

When Batman crosses paths with the gleefully violent Judge Dredd, things are bound to get ugly! In these tales from the 1990s, the two crimefighters face The Riddler and The Joker and battle extra-dimensional gladiators. A special bonus included in this collection is Judge Dredd's epic battle with alien bounty hunter Lobo.

This amazing new hardcover collects Batman/Judge Dr
Published November 27th 2012 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection

Alejandro
The incarnations of Justice and Law meet… and it won’t be easy!

I was able to ge ton its original publications the prestige format comic books of “Vendetta in Gotham” and the two parts of “Die Laughing”, but since I wasn’t able to find the other stories collected in this hard cover TPB, I didn’t hesitate to buy it, and therefore, I used this edition (that indeed I have) to make the overall review of all stories presented here.

The overall rating is the average sum resulted of the ratings on each
Anthony
Sep 28, 2015 Anthony rated it liked it
Shelves: batman
Fun and easy read. It's also the first Judge Dredd stuff I've read, which is pretty bad for a British comic book nerd in his 20s (sue me, I'm still learning!).

It never spends too much time going into the how and why of things, it's more 'Dredd and Batman together. Let's roll with it and have some fun!'.

High point of the book was Joker making it into Megacity One, becoming immortal, only to find it all taken away from him on his return to Gotham. He thought he finally had the upper hand on Batman
Robert Hood
Dec 12, 2013 Robert Hood rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book, beautifully drawn and produced. It's also grotesquely surreal, visually, and reading it is like plunging into some sort of drug-induced nightmare. While not the best of either Dredd or Batman, the stories have the irresistible attraction of bringing these two iconic characters together -- one a law enforcer who is ultraviolent and willing to kill in accordance with his world's unforgiving laws, the other a vigilante who does what the police can't do in his world but ...more
Alan Baxter
Nov 25, 2012 Alan Baxter rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, crime
A truly great collection in a beautiful hardcover edition. Some of the best artwork anywhere by some of my favourite artists (Simon Bisley, Glenn Fabry, Carl Critchlow). And the stories! Batman and Dredd together - how can you go wrong? Brilliant stuff.

I'm not really sure why the Dredd/Lobo crossover story is included in here. It's a good fun yarn, but Batman isn't in it, so I don't understand why it's in the "Batman Judge Dredd Collection".
Andy 117
Nov 17, 2014 Andy 117 rated it really liked it
Batman is an icon of American pop culture. Judge Dredd is an icon of British pop culture. For some, a series of stories that explore the way these two titans of comics differ, from a cultural standpoint, would be fantastic; a look at the ways America and Britain are apposed when presenting political satire, superhero vigilantism, and male power fantasy.

This isn't that.

This is just Batman and Judge Dredd playing silly chumps for a few hundred pages. And I love it.

Some top talent has come togethe
Ernest Spoon
Sep 22, 2016 Ernest Spoon rated it it was amazing
Well, I guess I'm in the mood to catch up on 20-year-old comic books.

I really loved the artwork by all the artists involved in this collection. The whole endeavor has a dreamlike quality that suits the nightmare worlds of both The Batman and Judge Dredd.
Martin
Mar 15, 2014 Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
How can two characters be so similar yet so different at the same time?

One will leave you a beaten and broken wreck in the pursuit of justice; the other will do that too but he may also arrest you as well. Batman and Judge Dredd are two iconic characters. Incorruptible; uncompromising; they're forces of nature in their respected worlds that make them legends in their own right.

Fighting for order in a world of chaos the only difference between them is the lengths to which they will go to achieve
Gav451
Apr 08, 2015 Gav451 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another value collection containing 4 stories in all. The last, involving Lobo, can largely be ignored as I see no reason to include it. This whole book is about 2 iconic characters and their interactions.

So here we get 2 larger than life figures given to great writers and great artists who are then allowed to have some fun. It is clear that this is never meant to be central to any cannon and neither is it sacred and so we have writers who are allowed the let their imaginations run riot.

As ever
1. Judgement on Gotham
2. Vendetta on Gotham
3. The Ultimate Riddle
4. Die Laughing
5. Judge Dredd vs. Lobo (no Batman)

1 and 3 were illustrated by Simon Bisley. I haven't read much by him but the coloring added an old school surreal feel to his stories. The other stories were ok in the art department. I picked this up because it seemed like reviews on Amazon trended towards being very positive with few people not liking it. Much like the recent Dredd movie, it exceeded my expec
Keith
Feb 05, 2014 Keith rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely tremendous. I'd read all the Batman/Dredd crossovers besides Die Laughing back in the day, so was really keen to get a hold of that. Having them all in one lovely book is a real treat, especially as the stories and artwork are so good. Like the Dredd/Aliens crossover, these are really successful, making for great Batman stories as much as they do Dredd stories, I loved it. The Lobo/Dredd crossover that's pegged on the end really wasn't my cup of tea, but it's a bonus so can't ...more
Graham Bailey
Dec 17, 2012 Graham Bailey rated it it was amazing
I own all of these in their original format, but I'm a sucker for these lovely collected editions so I had to add it to my pile.
This is a great book; irreverent, fun, OTT and in your face. The artwork is by some of the most influential comic artists currently working and us beautiful on every page and the writing is just what you'd expect from the Wagner/Grant powerhouse.
Dredd & Batman, what more could you ask for?
Not convinced by the addition of the Lobo/Dredd crossover, but it's silly fun
Jacob
Feb 05, 2014 Jacob rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

Over 300 hundred pages for $20. A Marvel book at a similar page count would cost $30 or more.

This book as should delight Judge Dredd fans, but I don't think Batman fans will enjoy its British sensibilities. I particularly enjoyed looking at Cam Kennedy's art work. I haven't looked at a book he's drawn since The Punisher and Star Wars: Dark Empire. Simon Bisley's art has never suited my tastes, but I did like some of his panels and other art contributors like the amazing Gle
David
Apr 10, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: batman
Not much in the way of traditional story development - but this is fun, bone-crushing stories BEAUTIFULLY drawn.

What it lacks in writing it more than makes up for in the art department. I borrow a majority of the graphic novels I read from the public library, but this volume is worth owning. This crossover is better than the standalone Judge Dredd comics I've read and better than most Batman stories from the 90s.
Ming Siu
Jun 29, 2013 Ming Siu rated it liked it
I read the first story when I was a kid, back in the 90s, and I remember being a little freaked out about the creepiness of Judge Death and his gory killings. Now, however, all of this reads as silly, tongue-in-cheek fun. OTT in its violence and silly in plotting, this book is enjoyable as a guilty pleasure. The painted art by Bisley, etc. is gorgeous, but in comparison, the traditional pencil-and-ink stories feel flat (coincidentally, those are also far weaker in story and even humour).
Robert Marsh
Aug 25, 2016 Robert Marsh rated it really liked it
Mind-blowing artwork throughout. First story, Judgement On Gotham, was the best. Worst was the second story, Vendetta In Gotham - and not just because the Ventriloquist is probably one of Batman's lamest adversaries. Stories improved after that. Artwork though is unbelievable, acid-trip level throughout. Fantastic. And Batman and Judge Dredd together? What's not to like? Other than Vendetta In Gotham.
Larry Kenney
So much fun! The first of the Judge Dredd/Batman crossovers was one of my favorite comics. Unfortuntately, it's also the best of the series. However, that doesn't stop the whole collection from being a great, fun read. It's always fun to see Dredd kicking ass, and to see The Dark Knight trading blows and philosophies with him is a hoot.

And I've missed the Main Man, Lobo. The extra Dredd/Lobo story was fun to read, and I'm gonna brush off my old Lobo stuff and give it a reread now!
Vicki-shawn
Jan 12, 2013 Vicki-shawn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Vicki-shawn by: me
This book has made it into the hall of fame section of my collection. Whats not to love about a collection of Bat and Dredd team ups? This book is something any Bat Dredd fan just has to have, simple as that. Oh and did I mention the art? This collection has some of the best comic art with a bullet! The art is so good that If i could only have a copy in sanscrit I would still get it. THE ART IS THAT GOOD! GET THIS NOW, WHAT ARE YOU DOING STILL READING THIS GO!
Sam Quixote
Mar 10, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Holy Drokk, Batman! A crossover between the bat vigilante and the fascistic future policeman? Unfortunately it’s not as good as it sounds and somehow John Wagner managed to get four books out of this unlikely team-up. Full review here!
Scott Weatherby
Feb 02, 2014 Scott Weatherby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I got this book the second I saw it on store shelves because I was always interested in Judge Dredd, but I didn't know where to start.

I'm glad I started here because this is a great read from start to finish. I don't even mind how the Joker's drawn.
Dan
Jan 05, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing
All the artwork is at its best as well as mixed, and the stories are brilliant as well as connected.

Batman & Judge Dredd are like a married couple, they hate each other, but can not live with out each other.
Dan Weiss
Dec 19, 2012 Dan Weiss rated it really liked it

Even though the JD series didn't do well in the US in the 90s, These crossovers capture some of the best points of both characters. The 90s was also a wacky time for comic book art and these are no exception.
Mathew Quitney
Dec 07, 2012 Mathew Quitney rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Worth it for the content alone, it's just too bad they didn't include any bonuses. A sketch section or some layouts would have been appreciated, especially since this is some of Glen Fabry's best work.
Kyle Burley
Feb 04, 2014 Kyle Burley rated it liked it
Not much to this really. Batman and Judge Dredd kick each others asses for a few hundred pages, occasionally stopping to fight The Joker or Judge Death or whoever. There is, however, some beautiful painted art from the likes of Simon Bisley and Glenn Fabry.
Roberto Diaz
Nov 08, 2013 Roberto Diaz rated it liked it
A good example of the somewhat nonsense crossovers of the 90's. Andeven if the stories feel kind of dated, it's still a fun ride just for the art. A beautiful drawn graphic novel compilation.
Laurence Tuck
Apr 19, 2015 Laurence Tuck rated it really liked it
Great fun, the Batman universe is handled well and it has provided me with a decent introduction to Dredd.
Hone Haapu
Apr 18, 2016 Hone Haapu rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Worth a read if you are a fan of both characters. Some nice art and interplay between the two. They both inhabit a very dark, rigid and uncompromising worlds so the idea works well.
Annice22
Aug 04, 2014 Annice22 rated it did not like it
This is one of those books I'm really glad I checked out from the library instead of buying because I did not enjoy reading this. The stories were very weird and not interesting at all.
Joshua Parsons
Joshua Parsons rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Uniqueweasel
Uniqueweasel rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Spencer
Spencer rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
  • Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition
  • StormWatch, Vol. 1
  • Nemo: River of Ghosts
  • Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (Victorian Batman,#1)
  • Earth 2, Vol. 3: Battle Cry
  • DC Presents Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City
  • Lobo: The Last Czarnian
  • Death and the City
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 6: Bloodlines (Hellblazer New Edition, #6)
  • Batman: Arkham Unhinged, Vol. 1
  • Batman & Robin: Dark Knight vs. White Knight
  • The Punisher: Circle of Blood
  • All Smoke Rises: Milk-Blood Redux
  • Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution
  • Obsession
  • Mago Terrenal
  • Wonderland, Volume 1 (Grimm Fairy Tales Presents)
  • Tokyo Ghost, Vol. 1: Atomic Garden
John Wagner is a comics writer who was born in Pennsylvania in 1949 and moved to Scotland as a boy. Alongside Pat Mills, Wagner was responsible for revitalising British boys' comics in the 1970s, and has continued to be a leading light in British comics ever since. He is best known for his work on 2000 AD, for which he created Judge Dredd. He is noted for his taut, violent thrillers and his black ...more
More about John Wagner...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1