Start by marking “Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk” as Want to Read:
Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk

Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  24 reviews
For readers of Salt, Sugar, Fat who want to make favorite snack foods more healthfully at home, here are recipes for wholeseome homemade Twinkies, Ding-Dongs, Doritos, and Cheez-Its, all with gluten-free and vegan variations! Make everyone's favorite childhood snacks with whole grains and natural sweeteners full of wonderful flavors and nutrients not artificial colors and ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Sasquatch Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Real Snacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Snacks

Jesse Henning
Solid inspiration/technique for snack fakes but-

since it's one of those 'healthy snacks' books, be prepared to make some creative substitutions when nearly every recipe calls for flours of grains that grow on the moon.
Isa Lavinia
Interesting, and I wish I could try some, but about 99% of these recipes call for like 50 different types of flour - Harry Potter had an easier time finding the horcruxes than me ever finding this stuff.
Dhonna
I am very impressed with these recipes. I have stopped buying crackers because the ingredients are ridiculous. But, after reading this book I am inspired to try and make my own! And the onion dip and that banana "ice cream"...and vegan options for every recipe, how cool is that?
Emily
I'm not sure I'd actually make anything out of this book, but the fact that I could is pretty cool. These are not at all healthy foods, but they are more real than packaged junk food--no dyes or preservatives or ingredients you can't pronounce. There is a good break-down of different types of flours and sweeteners in the front; one of the best I've seen, actually. Note that all recipes include adaptions to become gluten free or vegan.

If I were to make anything, it would probably the Cheese-It. I
Megan
Apr 01, 2014 Megan marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook
PH 641.5 F
Heather
I wasn't expecting this cookbook to be healthy (although the cover claims that all recipes have vegan and gluten-free alternatives). Despite the bias towards health, all, if not most, have substitutions for normal ingredients. Many of the recipes sound interesting, particularly the graham crackers, Goldfish, and raspberry coconut Twinkies. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I look forward to it.
Beth
I LIKE IT
Tracey
Nov 23, 2013 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
these were fancier/more labor intensive than I ever care to make, but it looks like she put some effort into developing a gluten-free version of her biscuit/empanada dough that I haven't tried yet, but which might have been just what I was looking for. That is the only GF recipe in the bunch, however, so people with this dietary restriction should probably borrow from the library rather than purchase.
Autumn
I was prepared to dismiss this book as super-bougie Portlandia nonsense. Why are women suddenly expected to hand make Fritos?? But there is a recipe for homemade cheesy poof powder on the last page that I find Very Intriguing. Hmmmmmmm. Update: I tried the Corn Nuts recipe (basically baking spiced hominy at 400 degrees) and those little buggers exploded. Proceed with caution!
Love & Flour
I was impressed with the variety of snacks covered in this cookbook. Practically everything I thought of, from goldfish crackers to Twinkies, was in there. I have not made anything from the book yet, so that might change my opinion as time goes on, but for now, I really liked it. This cookbook seems like a great one to have on hand for the "fun" factor.
Molly
I appreciate that she offers gluten-free and vegan options for all of the recipes. Alot of them seem to be more work than I care to expend, or require kitchen tools that I don't have and I'm not going to go get. But I think that's the point of eating "junk" food you make yourself- make it worth the calories and the time you spend. Just a theory.
Cindy
This book is full of wonderful childhood treats that can be made in a much healthier way. Though the book does not provide any nutritional info the ingredients are ones that you know and can find at a local grocery store. All recipes come with photos and most include ways to make the recipe gluten free or vegan.
Bethany
This book is for the hardcore lover of homemade, healthy food, which is not the level that I'm at. I'm not willing to go to a specialty store for special sugars and flours just to make some treats. But this book would be VERY helpful if I was at that stage, and I would definitely recommend it to others!
Stephanie
Laura does a great job with photography on this book. Sadly though, there wasn't anything really new in here. I have been pinning similar knock-offs of brand name snacks for a while now, and have even managed to make a few. Not sure I would bother buying this.
Stewart Tame
These recipes sound delicious and seem reasonably easy to make. I'm hankering to try a few. I'll have to check my stock of appliances and equipment first, though. Also I need to look around for some of the more exotic ingredients. Fun cookbook!
Erin
I haven't tried any recipes, but they sure look fun. This is another cookbook I would love to own and dedicate good time to cook through. Think favorite snacks from childhood. It will make you nostalgic to flip through.
Robert Hudder
Decent book for those who want to make healthy versions of mass market snacks - even gluten and vegan - such as goldfish crackers, twinkies, hostess cupcakes, etc. Some of it is really clever.
Amy
I'm not really a sweets or snack cake person, but I'm really interested in making my own crackers. I'm glad that they had vegan substitutes for most of the recipes.
Katie
Every single recipe comes with a vegan version and a gluten-free version. Love you forever, lara ferroni. Healthy-ish twinkies from scratch at my house, y'all!
Jillian
Offers vegan and gluten free modifications! Not sure I'll ever make anything out of it but we'll see.
Nora
Great recipes for everything from twinkies to goldfish! And it includes vegan variations for EACH recipe!
Carrie Hill
Great snack hacks. Wonderful way to have snacks without all the extra chemical junk.
Michelle
Photos are gorgeous as usual. I will report back after I try a few recipes.
Aug 01, 2013 Jennifer added it
Shelves: food
Looking forward to trying some of these recipes out.
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Susan B
Susan B marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Homemade with Love: Simple Scratch Cooking from In Jennie's Kitchen
  • Breakfast for Dinner: Recipes for Frittata Florentine, Huevos Rancheros, Sunny-Side-Up Burgers, and More!
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Home Made Winter
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • One Good Dish
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Meatless: More Than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
Doughnuts: Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home Cookie Doughlicious: 50 Cookie Dough Recipes for Candies, Cakes, and More Food Photography: Pro Secrets for Styling, Lighting & Shooting Put an Egg on It: 70 Delicious Dishes That Deserve a Sunny Topping Photographing Food