Start by marking “This Living Hand: Essays, 1972-2012” as Want to Read:
This Living Hand: Essays, 1972-2012
Preview

This Living Hand: Essays, 1972-2012

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When the multitalented biographer Edmund Morris (who writes with equal virtuosity about Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, Beethoven, and Thomas Edison) was a schoolboy in colonial Kenya, one of his teachers told him, “You have the most precious gift of all—originality.” That quality is abundantly evident in this selection of essays. They cover forty years in the life of a ...more
Audio
Published November 20th 2012 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This Living Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Living Hand

Doug Clark
On Monday, I finished Edmund Morris’s collection of essays, The Living Hand and Other Essays. Morris is a Pulitzer-prize winning author of a three-volume biography of Theodore Roosevelt [The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (the 1980 Pulitzer Prize winner for Biography), Theodore Rex, and Colonel Roosevelt]. In between these volumes, he also wrote a controversial biography of Ronald Reagan, Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan and Beethoven: The Universal Composer.

This collection of essays is a chronologi
Terry Earley
I did enjoy the essays on Teddy Roosevelt. I became a fan of Morris reading his Roosevelt trilogy. The first 2 far better than the 3rd.

The literary stuff left me flat, but then I am not so interested in that area, except for the essay on being on the panel choosing the 100 best. it was nice to be able to pick and choose in this selection of essays.
haetmonger
This frigging guy. Strutting around London with a cane while quoting Wodehouse one minute, hugging trees and calling people Vandals the next. This is what I want to be like when I'm old.
Mary Kristine
This book gave me a true appreciation of the power of well written essays. Knowledgable and yet beautiful.
Laurie
"...sentences skeining west to east, a book in flight. I grew to prize the silence, even the minisilences that fell between one word and the next, and to this day, when words won't come, I listen for them rather than look for them. Sooner or later one that sounds right will whisper itself onto the page." Best sentence in the whole book. Unfortunately, inconsistency of prose and too many pedantic passages diminished enjoyment of these essays.
Brandon

"Strapped to the roof of his station wagon where five whitetail deer. Ribbons of blood flowed down the sides of the car as he sped triumphantly by."

"...a hall of white dresses . . . white bees floating in breezes of cambric silver . . ."

READ LOLITA
Jonathan Crowe
A collection of essays by the author of biographies of Beethoven, Reagan and Theodore Roosevelt; naturally these three turn up a lot in these pieces.
Philip McKeating
Philip McKeating marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Carrie Knerr
Carrie Knerr marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
GC
GC marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Danielle Leger
Danielle Leger marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
keres
keres marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Mio Hartan
Mio Hartan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Tim Linder
Tim Linder marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
John Majors
John Majors marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ursula
Ursula is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Koji
Koji marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Bill Howe
Bill Howe marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Ralph Strong
Ralph Strong marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
K
K added it
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Edmund Morris is a writer best known for his biographies of United States presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan. Morris received his early education in Kenya after which he attended Rhodes University in South Africa. He worked as an advertising copywriter in London before emigrating to the United States in 1968.
His biography The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt won the Pulitzer Prize and Natio
More about Edmund Morris...
Theodore Rex The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt Colonel Roosevelt Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan