Start by marking “Tom's Tweet” as Want to Read:
Tom's Tweet

Tom's Tweet

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Tom is on the hunt for a tasty morning treat when he spies a flip-flapping, fluttery bird just there for the taking. Hello, breakfast! But little Tweet with his big black button eyes is too skinny to eat. Tom is determined to not get involved, but he can't just leave Tweet there . . . frightened, unhappy, alone. Consarn it! It's just Tom's luck to get stuck with a Tweet!
Published November 8th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tom's Tweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom's Tweet

The Library Lady
The rhymes don't always work--you know, authors, prose is JUST FINE for children's books, not everyone is a Seuss--but the story is sweet and funny and well done and the pictures truly hilarious.
Dolly
Mar 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets, rhyming
This is a sweetly humorous story about a cat who defies his basic instincts to care for a helpless creature. His efforts are not always appreciated, but all ends well.

We loved the grumpy old man cat, Tom - he reminds me of a more comic and spry version of Simon from the book The Grannyman by Judy Schachner. We have two cats at home that are 14 and 15 and I'm always telling our girls that they are grandma and grandpa kitties and that we need to be gentle and kind to them. But despite their age,
paula
Awkward type breaks mar the flow of the very with-it rhyming text in this action-packed tale of a gruff old man cat and the tender tweety bird he finds in the grass one day. Anybody with a crusty grandpa who turns out to be a total creampuff the moment he meets his grandbabies will recognize old Tom.
Nancy
This was a really cute story about a cat who finds a baby bird who has fallen out of it's nest. I got it for my Kindle from our library to read to my grandchildren over Thanksgiving holiday. They both liked it a lot...especially the illustrations of Tom and his little Tweet.
Joan Gagan
I totally loved this book it is so funny! I can see reading this to early elementary grades. So fun!
Lindsay Stier
Audience: primary
Genre: fiction - modern fantasy

Pre-reading Strategy:

This book is about the relationship between a cat and a baby bird. To get students thinking about what they already know about the relationship between a cat and bird, students will draw a picture illustrating their opinion of how the two interact. We will discuss the students pictures and make predictions about what we think might happen between the cat and bird in our story.

I would use this strategy because it will open up di
Todd Glaeser
A very funny book with illustrations by the incredible Dan Santat!
Dan
Dan Santat's illustrations are outstanding in Tom's Tweet. I enjoyed the story as well.
Mickey
This was just as cute as it could be! Tom the cat thinks he's scored an easy snack when he finds a helpless little bird, but his conscience kicks in and he decides to do the right thing and tries to put the baby back in its nest. An angry Mama bird misunderstands and goes on the attack. Poor Tom finally gets his little tweet back home, only to find him on the loose again the next day. The illustrations were charmingly adorable, and the story is a hoot. This one is being given to several little o ...more
Amanda
Tom could never imagine how his life would change the day he found the scrawny skinny Tweet. He thought he found breakfast, but couldn't bring himself to eat the poor little thing. Tom's actions are a reminder that not everything is what it seems to be. Text is rhyming and the story includes ways to take care of a baby bird. I would recommend this book to readers grades 2-3, but younger readers will enjoy this as a read aloud text.
Holly
This book made my day! A cat's heart is melted by the scrawny little "tweet" he was fixing to eat, and against his will he does the unthinkable to take care of the little angel, even while braving the attacks of the mama bird. And the ending is the best of all possible endings. I'm going to have to buy this one. And also add it to my dream storytime designed to promote vegetarianism. Oh wait--worms were eaten in this one. Never mind.
Paul  Hankins
I like this one. . .especially for the fact that it has cat hips in it which reminds of Kliban's cats (but this is whole other weird kind of ladder we don't need to get into here). Ladders to Of Mice and Men for Tom's being saddled with a friend in dire need of protection and nurture (don't miss Tom's eyes when he chews the worm for Tweet).

Sandybear76
Tom is minding his own business in his yard when he hears a sound. It is a little bird who has fallen from his nest. Tom really tries to put the little bird back in the nest but the little bird's mama dive-bombs him. So Tome takes care of the little bird for a while.

Funny book. kids will love it.
Marcie
I ordered this because I'm on a Dan Santat kick. I did enjoy it even though the rhyming text is not my favorite to read aloud. A bit to sing-songy for me. However the illustrations of Tom are so reminiscent of Disney's version of Cheshire Cat, one can't but enjoy it.
Pamela
D'awwww. This book about an unlikely relationship between a cat and a baby bird (this relationship is not eater and food!) is super-cute, with gee-shucks language that gives it a quirky twang. It's too involved for my storytime group, but I really like it!
Kris
I was loving this book until I came to some awkward line breaks that made me stop and reread to get the rhythm just right. I do love the crotchety old Tom Cat with his "Tarnation!" and "Dagnabbit!" and how he can't resist the skinny little Tweet.
Kristi
Crotchety old Tom the cat is out and about one morning when he discovers what he thought would be his next snack. We soon learn that Tom is just an old softy at heart. Perfect picture book for a read aloud!!
Beth
With all of the technology talk of tweeting it is so refreshing that the tweet is a bird. We can all have unlikely friends in this world and be very happy. The artwork is colorful and refreshing.
Jackie
An unlikely friendship begins between a scraggly, scrawny little bird and a very hungry tom cat. It's true, the cat is a softy at heart...and ends up 'tweety-sitting.' HAHAHA!
Margie
With a narrative infused with humor and illustrations that up the laughter factor this collaboration is fantastic.

For my full review:

Wendy Kuzma
The language is rich and the rhymes are fun in this cute story about an unusual friendship.
Shelli
Bright, colorful and fun picture book about an unlikely hero and a baby bird in need of rescue.
T
Cute little story I read to my class.
One cat and a cute baby bird.
What more could you ask for?
Beverly
Very cute; the cat ends up protecting the baby bird rather than eating it.
Autumn
This is the cutest book!Adorable illustrations, sweet story with rhyming prose.
Lake Agassiz Regional Library
This book is adorable. Tom is a cat-version of Walter Matthau. 'Nuff said.
Caitlin Sempowich
Very cute story! The rhyming is a little weak... not great for story time.
  • Big Mean Mike
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • Otter and Odder: A Love Story
  • Bawk & Roll
  • Dinosaur Kisses
I Am Cow, Hear Me Moo! I Hatched! Seed, Sprout, Pumpkin, Pie Stanza Apples for Everyone