Toxic Faith: Experiencing Healing Over Painful Spiritual Abuse

Toxic Faith: Experiencing Healing Over Painful Spiritual Abuse

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Experiencing Healing from Painful Spiritual Abuse

When religion becomes a means to avoid or control life, it becomes toxic. Those who possess a toxic faith have stepped across the line from a balanced perspective of God to an unbalanced faith in a weak, powerless or uncaring God. They seek a God to fix every mess, prevent every hurt, and mend every conflict.

Toxic Faith
dist...more
Published April 13th 2011 by Shaw Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Toxic Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toxic Faith

Mike
Wow. What an amazing book. A bit odd reading it from an atheist perspective but enlightening nonetheless when viewing my faith experience retroactively.

Arterburn is a psychologist who operates a practice focused on helping individuals solve longterm personal issues. He is a believing Christian and writes this book from the perspective that toxic faith (or immature faith) is detrimental while mature faith is healthy and uplifting. Even as an atheist I see great value in his perspective and, in r...more
J Campbell
Very good book! Helped me see some unhealthiness in churches we've attended. Thankfully we've found a healthy church to attend now. Besides, no church is perfect, as it's full of imperfect people!
Thomas
Excellent book for anyone trying to heal from a legalistic background!
Lauren
this book changed my life.
Beth Peninger
A good dialogue from professionals about one type of addiction: religious addiction. The authors are believers in God so they have a basis from which to speak about this addiction that is probably much more prevalent and widespread than most people would think.
The main author, Stephen Arterburn, is well known in Christian circles for his radio shows, New Life Treatment Centers and various other books he has authored (Every Man's Battle, Healing is a Choice to name a couple). As happens in Chris...more
Debi
Overview of what an addiction is. Detailed information on how religious addiction starts. Signs of a toxic faith. How recovery from religious addiction can happen.
Here are some of the toxic beliefs that can indicate being part of a toxic faith/religious addiction:
-God's love and favor depend on my behavior.
-When tragedy strikes, true believers should have a real peace about it.
-If I have real faith, God will heal me or someone I am praying for.
-Problems in my life result from some particular sin...more
Trent Stephens
I read this book as someone who was surrounded by toxic faith my entire young life. I've watched those around me ruined by religious addiction and then watched that addiction turn into other addictions as we grew out of the church. I though as I started that this book might help me further understand and come to terms with this pain. However I just kept asking questions out loud of how can intelligent people watch what religion does to people and still logically believe that anything good can co...more
This was a good book. I enjoyed it in the main, although some parts weren't really about things I could relate to.
Bethany
Very helpful for anyone who has been damaged by a church experience in the past.
John
Does a great job showing the dark side of faith and helping to direct you to a living faith.
Carolyn Francis
Carolyn Francis marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Mickey Basham
Mickey Basham marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Andy Stager
Andy Stager marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Nhien Vuong
Nhien Vuong marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Stephen Arterburn is the founder and chairman of New Life Ministries — the nation’s largest faith-based broadcast, counseling and treatment ministry — and is the host of the nationally syndicated “New Life Live!” daily radio program heard on over 180 radio stations nationwide. Steve is also the founder of the Women of Faith conferences attended by over 3,000,000 women.
Steve is a nationally known p...more
More about Stephen Arterburn...
Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time Every Young Man's Battle: Strategies for Victory in the Real World of Sexual Temptation Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them Every Man, God's Man (Every Man Series)

“All problems are not results of sin; many are simply results of reality.” 1 likes
“God has given us the freedom to make choices. Some choices will be better than others. The worst ones will cause us discomfort and pain, but the pain will not always be the result of God’s punishment for sin. When people play with fire, often they feel the heat, and some get burned. The pain is from the fire, not the punishment of God. Sin is like that. Pain is often a result of sin, but not necessarily a punishment for it.” 1 likes