Start by marking “Tempting Faith Di Napoli” as Want to Read:
Tempting Faith Di Napoli

Tempting Faith Di Napoli

“Our house, in Little Italy, shared a wall with the Rossis’ next door, and our clothesline connected with the Pilettis’ behind us. My mother used to say that if one of the neighbours’ houses was swallowed up by hell, we would all be pulled down with them.”

Smart, witty, and emotionally generous, Tempting Faith DiNapoli is first-time novelist Lisa Gabriele’s alternately wren
ebook
Published May 7th 2010 by Anchor Canada (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Faith Di Napoli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Faith Di Napoli

Karena
Jan 17, 2011 Karena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, fiction
Sunday I spent all day reading (and finishing) tempting Faith DiNapoli by Lisa Gabriele. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I highly recommend it. Lisa is very funny. I saw her give an introduction to her work this summer, and she could be a wicked stand-up comic if she had the desire. You'll know the book by the candy-necklace-rosary on the cover.
The book is about Faith who grows up in an poor family during the recession...her father meets her mother at church...the childre
Amie
Jul 02, 2014 Amie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book, after hearing it took place in Windsor and 'out in the county.'

I am glad that I read it. I thought it was a great book and even though I am not a religious person, I could relate to some of the feelings that Faith had.

I thought it was a realistic portrayal of a growing up tale, and I liked that it wasn't all glossy. It is a bit hard of a read, but I am sure there are some people that can read this and say, hey, that was my teenage life!
Tori
2005- I usually like coming of age tales, but this one didn't do much for me. Faith DiNapoli is the second child of four and the daughter of a father who speaks heavily accented English and a mother who chain-smokes, both of whom can not get along with each other. The inside of the book flap said we were supposed to be able to follow Faith's life from eight to eighteen, but most of the time I couldn't tell what age she was supposed to be. I think this was a combination of lots of flashbacks and ...more
Leya
Feb 09, 2013 Leya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Wow! The DiNapoli's are quite the family! They had me smiling, laughing out loud, and crying too. They truly seem to be a "real" family. Because I was raised Catholic, I can identify with Faith, her curiosities, her doubts and her questions. It brought back a whole bunch of memories, some good and some bad. But reading this book was a wonderful experience.

If you want to revisit your teenage years, this may be the book for you. But be warned it also deals with serious stuff, it deals with drugs,
Melanie
Jun 21, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great recommendation and a must read! This book will always stay on my bookshelf as it's been a great book to read over and over again.
Deonnah Davis
Jun 02, 2014 Deonnah Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful story. I might be slightly biased because I was raised catholic and experience similar situations as the protagonist. Christian/ Non Christians should enjoy this alike. Goes you a deeper understanding of the doubts and reasoning of a damaged Christian.
Sue
Aug 06, 2016 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get into it. Put it down after reading 85 pages
Andrea MacPherson
Jul 14, 2015 Andrea MacPherson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come after Book Club meeting!
Mikkee
May 08, 2010 Mikkee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book's author made me feel all the emotions of the narrator's voice, and she created a seamless transition in the voice as she grew. This is not a light or fluffy read and it was heavy at times. I felt the weight of the sadness and anxiety of the main character, sometimes carrying it with me and forgetting it was not mine.

If you don't like heavy language, this book is not the one for you. It does go to create the telling of the story and the perspective of poverty and lack of education.
Chris
Sep 18, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and enjoyable, but also depressing. I wish most of the characters would have made better choices in their lives. The were caught up in lives that were going no where. There was some amusing black humor about her dysfunctional family though. A crazy nitpick: too much smoking! I hate it in books when characters are always smoking. It makes me think of cigarette smoke and I get grossed out, even though I'm not around it.
Quynh E
Mar 09, 2008 Quynh E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for $1 off the the used book rack at the library and I easily would have paid full price for it in hardback!!! It's a realistic fiction of about surviving the trials and tribulations of growing up and finding yourself while resisting the urge to succumb to being the typical rebellious adolescent.
Dawn
Feb 06, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because the author is a local writer. Thoroughly enjoyed the story and loved feeling the connection of the setting in my own home town and surrounding area. Made it a fun read.
Vicki Mollenauer
I thorougly enjoyed this book. Being raised in Catholic schools made the humor extremely witty. A fast read, but definitely a good one.
Bdmason
Sep 22, 2010 Bdmason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a girl life from 8 to 18. set in sw ontario which is where i live. writing style and characters very interesting
Paula
Apr 21, 2011 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book's setting was Windsor, ON and Essex County in the 60s and 70s so it held alot of memories for me.
Diana
Jul 28, 2009 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!
Mari-Tricia
Oct 24, 2012 Mari-Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read by a local writer
Julie
Jan 12, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing...can't wait to read again :)
Jul 29, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hauntingly familiar...
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Elia
Elia marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Jan Moore
Jan Moore rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Beaux Corps
Beaux Corps marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016
Marni
Marni marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Sarah added it
Jul 18, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Emily!
Emily! marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
  • The Conversion of the Jews
  • Off The Beaten Path - A Steve Cassidy Mystery (Steve Cassidy, #3)
  • The Money Tree
  • Common Ground
  • The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne
  • The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580
  • The Ballad of Les Darcy
  • Blackfly Season (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #3)
  • Danny Gospel
  • The Unabridged Charles Dickens
  • Portrait of a Burger as a Young Calf: The Story of One Man, Two Cows, and the Feeding of a Nation
  • Africans in America: America's Journey through Slavery