Start by marking “Tempting Faith Di Napoli” as Want to Read:
Tempting Faith Di Napoli

Tempting Faith Di Napoli

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  16 reviews
“Our house, in Little Italy, shared a wall with the Rossis’ next door, and our clothesline connected with the Pilettis’ behind us. My mother used to say that if one of the neighbours’ houses was swallowed up by hell, we would all be pulled down with them.”

Smart, witty, and emotionally generous, Tempting Faith DiNapoli is first-time novelist Lisa Gabriele’s alternately wren
ebook
Published May 7th 2010 by Anchor Canada (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Faith Di Napoli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Faith Di Napoli

Karena
Sunday I spent all day reading (and finishing) tempting Faith DiNapoli by Lisa Gabriele. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I highly recommend it. Lisa is very funny. I saw her give an introduction to her work this summer, and she could be a wicked stand-up comic if she had the desire. You'll know the book by the candy-necklace-rosary on the cover.
The book is about Faith who grows up in an poor family during the recession...her father meets her mother at church...the childre
Amie
I picked up this book, after hearing it took place in Windsor and 'out in the county.'

I am glad that I read it. I thought it was a great book and even though I am not a religious person, I could relate to some of the feelings that Faith had.

I thought it was a realistic portrayal of a growing up tale, and I liked that it wasn't all glossy. It is a bit hard of a read, but I am sure there are some people that can read this and say, hey, that was my teenage life!
Tori
2005- I usually like coming of age tales, but this one didn't do much for me. Faith DiNapoli is the second child of four and the daughter of a father who speaks heavily accented English and a mother who chain-smokes, both of whom can not get along with each other. The inside of the book flap said we were supposed to be able to follow Faith's life from eight to eighteen, but most of the time I couldn't tell what age she was supposed to be. I think this was a combination of lots of flashbacks and ...more
Leya
Wow! The DiNapoli's are quite the family! They had me smiling, laughing out loud, and crying too. They truly seem to be a "real" family. Because I was raised Catholic, I can identify with Faith, her curiosities, her doubts and her questions. It brought back a whole bunch of memories, some good and some bad. But reading this book was a wonderful experience.

If you want to revisit your teenage years, this may be the book for you. But be warned it also deals with serious stuff, it deals with drugs,
Deonnah Davis
Such a beautiful story. I might be slightly biased because I was raised catholic and experience similar situations as the protagonist. Christian/ Non Christians should enjoy this alike. Goes you a deeper understanding of the doubts and reasoning of a damaged Christian.
Mikkee
This book's author made me feel all the emotions of the narrator's voice, and she created a seamless transition in the voice as she grew. This is not a light or fluffy read and it was heavy at times. I felt the weight of the sadness and anxiety of the main character, sometimes carrying it with me and forgetting it was not mine.

If you don't like heavy language, this book is not the one for you. It does go to create the telling of the story and the perspective of poverty and lack of education.
Chris
Very well written and enjoyable, but also depressing. I wish most of the characters would have made better choices in their lives. The were caught up in lives that were going no where. There was some amusing black humor about her dysfunctional family though. A crazy nitpick: too much smoking! I hate it in books when characters are always smoking. It makes me think of cigarette smoke and I get grossed out, even though I'm not around it.
Quynh E
I bought this for $1 off the the used book rack at the library and I easily would have paid full price for it in hardback!!! It's a realistic fiction of about surviving the trials and tribulations of growing up and finding yourself while resisting the urge to succumb to being the typical rebellious adolescent.
Dawn
I read this book because the author is a local writer. Thoroughly enjoyed the story and loved feeling the connection of the setting in my own home town and surrounding area. Made it a fun read.
Vicki Mollenauer
I thorougly enjoyed this book. Being raised in Catholic schools made the humor extremely witty. A fast read, but definitely a good one.
Bdmason
a girl life from 8 to 18. set in sw ontario which is where i live. writing style and characters very interesting
Paula
The book's setting was Windsor, ON and Essex County in the 60s and 70s so it held alot of memories for me.
Diana
LOVED IT COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!
Mari-Tricia
Awesome read by a local writer
Julie
Amazing...can't wait to read again :)
Hauntingly familiar...
Jaclyn Tasker
Jaclyn Tasker marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 24, 2014
Ned
Ned added it
Dec 13, 2014
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Renee
Renee added it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Conversion of the Jews
  • Off The Beaten Path - A Steve Cassidy Mystery (Steve Cassidy, #3)
  • The Money Tree