Start by marking “Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Discover the Rewards of Homeschooling Your Young Child
Young children are full of curiosity, imagination, and a sense of wonder. They're willing to try new things and possess a natural joy of discovery. Yet in a traditional school, these natural behavior traits are too often squelched. That's why more and more parents just like you are choosing to teach their children at ho
Published January 11th 2012 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Homeschooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeschooling

Adrienne
Okay, I feel like this book is manipulative and verging on dishonest. Dobson is clearly pushing her unschooling agenda without disclosing it as such. Take the passage on page 94. First she references a study funded by the National Institutes of Health that showed that children best learn to read with 1) phonemic awareness, 2)phonics, and 3) exposure to meaning (reading aloud with your child, discussing, etc.). Then she says this:

"Looks like a happy marriage of phonics and whole language, the two
Kathleen Garber
I was excited to read this book which is for homeschooling ages 3-8 because of course I've started basic homeschooling with my 21 month old and wanted to be ready for more instruction when my child gets older.

However I must say this book didn't live up to my expectations. The best part of the book was the ideas on teaching Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic and the books and websites listed in the resources at the back of each chapter. The information itself is pretty good but the writing style is
Sheri
Dobson covered a wide range of topics, but I felt like it was more surface prep than get-your-hands-dirty useful. Perhaps it's because I was trained as a teacher, I thought this was all fairly commonsense, basically reassuring parents subject-by-subject that homeschooling is a doable option.
Deanna Annaed
This book is quite dated now, having been published in 1999. I'm not even sure that half the websites mentioned would work anymore. There was a lot of computer games mentioned that were probably on disks and can't even be located anymore. I think you could get all the information given in this book simply by visiting a few different homeschool blogs.
I also found the idea that the whole thing was based on a small group of families' answers to a survey kind of flawed. I had to return the book to t
Jenn
Eh, this book was lackluster. I got a lot out of the Dobson book I read just prior to this one, Homeschooling: The First Year, or something like that. I don't know if this was just too much repeat information from the other book or if it really just wasn't as useful. It seemed a little unorganized. In fact, the author said flat out in one paragraph "I'm having a hard time organizing this information." Um, maybe figure that out before you publish the book?
Stacey Miner
This is just another book to read if you're trying to convince yourself to homeschool. It comes packed with tips and encouragement to make your homeschooling journey a successful one. I think the part I like best is the overwhelming abundance of additional resources (books and websites and things) listed at the end of every chapter. After reading this book, I've added a couple dozen more books to my Goodreads to-read list. I recommend this book to anyone who's still trying to decide whether or n ...more
Hafidha
Definitely a primer for the considering-homeschooling and newly-homeschooling parent. I didn't get much use from it personally, as I'm committed to unschooling and have been reading about homeschooling for two decades now. I do, however, recommend it to newbies. I think Dobson gives a good overview of HSing approaches as well as many resources. It's a bit "busy" for me - I prefer more focus in my reference books, but if you're just starting out this will open your mind to the possibilities.
Janaleefish
This book has a lot of tips for teaching the little ones. It touches on how the little minds absorb info and how best to facilitate that need. Great for those parents that feel inadequate to teach compared to those so-called "Experts" in the public school field. The book points out that teaching is easy when you take the opportunities throughout your daily routine to teach. I got a lot of ideas and a good grasp on my homeschool plan this next year with my preschooler and 1st grader.
Melissa
I am excited and encouraged after reading this book. Homeschooling is not as daunting now.
Kerri
Four stars because the book is 10 yrs old so a lot of the website or "other book" recommends are even more outdated, but still an EXCELLENT primer to get someone started or introduce them to the idea of homeschooling... Lots of great advice & encouragement.

FYI: Picked this up from the Payette Library, so you know where to find it when I'm done :)

Melanie
Book seems to be heavily tilted towards unschooling and isn't as useful a guide for early years as I would have hoped. I much prefer Terrie Lynn Bittner's books for preschool/homeschooling in general. Also chock-full of outdated resources, though that seems par for the course in the homeschooling world (which is wonderful but frustrating).
Martha
This is a sort of cross between The Complete Guide to Homeschooling and You Can Teach Your Child Successfully but not as good as either. I'd still recommend getting the other two instead, but this one is better than some of the others I read, & does combine some of the "how to set up/run" facets with some of the "how to teach" facets.
Sara
I read this book after a suggestion from a vetran homeschooler and I really enjoyed it. I found it helpful in answering some of my questions and conerns and finialized my decision to homeschool my 3 kids. It was also full of resources that I will be looking into. I am so excited to join them in their learning journey!
Elissa
I think I was expecting more from this book, although I'm not really sure what. It's a book with tips from various homeschoolers of young children about how to homeschool young children. Some of the tips are helpful, but I feel like those tips could have been listed in a few pages and saved me some time.
Heather Leak
I gained a few helpful tips in preparing to homeschool my 4 and 6 year old, mostly from the sections at the end of the chapters which listed resources (books, websites, curricula, etc.) Would recommend this to someone who is thinking about or just starting their journey in homeschooling.
Joy
I appreciated the feedback from so many different homeschool families that Dobson compiled in this book. I picked up quite a few great tips and tricks from the book as well as other resources to check out and look forward to checking out her other books as my children grow older.
Ash
I can honestly say that I did not learn one thing from this book. I am not satisfied with any of the homeschooling books at the public library, they are either waaay dumbed down and spend more time justifying the idea of homeschooling than actually giving you a curriculum.
Christina
This was a great resource. I'm looking to do some Pre-K homeschooling next year and found this book to be full of great suggestions. I found most helpful the sections on reading readiness and simple math concepts, as well as field trip ideas.

Ralene
Nov 30, 2011 Ralene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone homeschooling ages 3-8
I loved this book. It was an inspiration that drug me out of a rut I had been in with homeschooling. It's full of ideas and stories from many different kinds of homeschool families.
Angela Higgins
The premise was good. Validated what I am already doing. The best part of the book were the real life examples of what other homeschoolers are doing.
Amy
Quite a bit of helpful information for beginners, but frequently things are pulled out into sidebars or text boxes that are dark grey and difficult to read.
Nicole
Good reference type of book. I enjoyed reading it, but it's hard to remember everything that I read in it. Downfall of checking books out from the library. :)
Catherine
Only moderately helpful to me, but it seems like it would be very useful to someone who was just starting to explore homeschooling as an option.
Crystal
I've read several books on homeschooling by this point so it is probably overkill but I like that it addresses the ages 3-8.
Shannon
"The early years are a child's information-gathering time, and he accomplishes this as a physical, sensory being..."
Theresa
The people in Linda Dobson's books are not representative of the wide variety of people who homeschool.
Abby
This book was so encouraging! I absolutely loved it. I am doing things right!!!
Diana Nelson
Totally agree with the entire book and currently implementing many of its concepts.
Stephanie
practical advice on the beginnings of homeschooling ages 3-8 years old.
Catherine
Fun to see what these homeschooled kids went on to do with their lives.
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • The Everything Homeschooling Book: All You Need to Create the Best Curriculum and Learning Environment for Your Child
  • Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book Of Homeschooling
  • For the Children's Sake
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education
The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child: Your Complete Guide to Getting Off to the Right Start The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas: 500+ Fun and Creative Learning Activities for Kids Ages 3-12 The Homeschooling Book of Answers: The 101 Most Important Questions Answered by Homeschooling's Most Respected Voices (Prima Home Learning Library) What the Rest of Us Can Learn from Homeschooling: How A+ Parents Can Give Their Traditionally Schooled Kids the Academic Edge The Art of Education

“available to them, generally display a refreshing enthusiasm and eagerness about learning. Learning isn’t a chore, they’ve discovered, it’s a by-product of engaging in activity with a fresh, eager, hungry mind. If we can bend our own thinking processes far enough to give play its rightful due, we could call creativity the play of the mind.” 0 likes