Start by marking “Walking to Mercury” as Want to Read:
Walking to Mercury

Walking to Mercury (Maya Greenwood #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In The Fifth Sacred Thing, readers fell in love with Maya Greenwood, the 98-year-old writer who led Northern California's successful 21st century rebellion against a racist, totalitarian regime of the South. Walking to Mercury takes readers back to the 20th century and powerfully dramatizes the forces that shaped this extraordinary woman.The book opens and closes with the ...more
Published November 23rd 2011 by Bantam (first published February 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Walking to Mercury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking to Mercury

R. C.
I tried to care about the characters, but they came across as whiny, privileged people. I tried to be fascinated by the settings, but the author didn't include (through her character's voices) near enough detail, adding to the sense that these were spoiled, oblivious people. It did occur to me that this was intentional, but I couldn't stand it anymore by the time I was halfway through the second chapter.
I loved this book! My brother got it for me because he's into Starhawk and he thought I would like the story because it is heavily influenced by the 1960s counterculture. He was right.

You really got to know the characters well and could empathize with them. Rio and Maya's relationship was so magical at first and you really felt that and when it changed I was really hurt too. I also loved the layout of the story. It takes place while Maya is carrying her mother's ashes as a middle aged woman and
Lovely sequel to Starhawk's novel, Fifth Sacred Thing. This one takes us between the 60's and the 80's, between hippie psychedelic youth, to antiwar activism, to mid life crisis in landscapes of Haight-Ashbury, New York, and Mexican curanderas, to trekking the mountains of Tibetan Nepal. The vistas are gorgeous, the soul searching potent, the nostalgia delicious. Very magical, loving, and beautiful.
My first introduction to Starhawk was from her eco-Feminist Sci-Fi, The Fifth Sacred Thing. The novel pits a Los Angeles dystopia against a San Francisco utopia several decades after the collapse of the United States due to nuclear arms. One of the main characters, Maya Greenbaum, is the subject of Walking to Mercury.

Of course, I was shocked to find out that Walking to Mercury was nothing like FST. It's a fiction story that examines the lives and loves of three central characters, one of which i
Coquille Fleur
This is a prequel to Fifth Sacred Thing. Part of me wonders if some of this was cut from that other (awesome)novel,and reborn as Walking to Mercury. It's a fascinating story of the hippie lifestyle and coming into adulthood of Johanna, Rio, and Maya. Kind of reminded me of Marge Piercy's Vida a little, but that's a good thing. I love Starhawk's fiction, because she weaves Goddess culture into her stories and it's all very magical.
"...hopes to find out why the power that once pounded through her like a drumbeat has fallen silent." This may be JUST the book I need to read right now! [3/2010:]
S Fred Langridge
Much more like a Carol Shields novel in terms of genre than like "The Fifth Sacred Thing", but I enjoyed it a lot. The viewpoint character isn't very endearing - she'd be an incredibly irritating person to be friends with - and that works quite well. As far as I can tell, it deals thoughtfully with issues of race during 1960s-80s anti-war/anti-nuclear activism. Bi main characters are always a bit of a selling point for me.
This is the "prequel" to The Fifth Sacred Thing. It's about how Maya grew up and how her magick developed. It's pretty good, and is a really neat character study that does not set out to portray her as or any other characters as perfect or reaching for perfection, but as people with flaws and baggage who are growing, learning, changing, and making new mistakes as they do so. It's not as compelling as its precursor, but it's still a very good read in Starhawk's distinct style.
Laura Callanan
I was worried about reading this prequel to The Fifth Sacred Thing because I found that book so wonderful. And although it's true it isn't quite as good as that first novel, this one is still terrific. It's more emotional and character based that the first novel, which was much more political and philosophical. But the basic issues of environmental justice, spirituality, and human relationships are still there.
I read this right after The Fifth Sacred Thing. There's still a significant gap of time between the two story lines. I wonder if a third book will ever happen. (Maybe after the movie of The Fifth Sacred Thing comes out.) I enjoyed this one, too.
Love this book! I re-read both every couple years. Maybe not as powerful or cohesive as The Fifth Sacred Thing, still it gives the back story to Maya, Rio & Johanna, ancestors to the grandchildren whose adventure makes up the "sequel"... being a child of the 60's myself I can totally relate to many of the things they went through and how the dream turned sour for many.
Susan Clark-cook
I have read a lot of this author's non fiction and like her style of writing. She is a wiccan, feminist, eco-activist with strong points of view and her foray into fiction was a great surprise for me. I hope she writes many more in this vain, mystical and futuristic in theme but also has many thought provoking ideas and ideas of possibilities.
This was a beautiful view into the woman and her loves we know and love from "The Fifth Sacred Thing." Such a beautiful journey. So worth reading and seeing how Maya became the woman we know and love. I'd love there to be another book that perhaps takes us from here, to 2047 and the journey she and her family took to get there.
I can read it again and again! Starhawk goes where other authors don't, and makes things Real, and it's Really hard to be living the revolution, and it's really so wonderful, and revolution is so much more important in our little happy souls than how many mountains we can climb. I continually love this book.
I tried reading this as a book club book because we liked Fifth Sacred thing so much. I got about half way through and couldn't manage the rest. It was kinda boring and had a long section about all they learned from an acid trip... I just couldn't identify.
my sister asked me to read this. The protagonist is forever searching and never finding because she is never satisfied. Peopled with flawed and real characters, unfortunately many of them are unlikeable. I was most interested in the philosophy.
I didn't love this one as much as I loved The Fifth Sacred Thing. I read it second, and it is the prequel, but I just didn't feel as connected to it.
Kiara Lee
A good read, but not quite as moving as Fifth Sacred Thing. Still worth the time for the way Maya, the main character, learns and grows.
Jennifer Wyld
This book is a wonderful prequel to Fifth Sacred Thing with lots to get you thinking... Starhawk tells powerful stories...
Kim Zimmerman
I learned what it was like growing up in the 60's. I also learned about the Goddess and I love her!
sequel to Fifth Sacred Thing. I liked the first book better. But it was still good!
Definitely liked the fisth sacred thing better, but thought this one was pretty good
I really loved reading this book. Quite an adventure story.
I couldn't get in to it, gave up after 3 chapters.
Profound, inspiring, and impossible to put down
gives the history before the 5th sacred thing
Best Sequel EVER.
nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Clara Ferreira
Clara Ferreira marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives--Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends, and Emotions Unde
  • The Storyteller's Goddess: Tales of the Goddess and Her Wisdom from Around the World
  • Cunningham's Magical Sampler: Collected Writings and Spells from the Renowned Wiccan Author
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth
  • Mindlight: Secrets of Energy, Magick & Manifestation
  • Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • The Goddess Companion: Daily Meditations on the Feminine Spirit
  • Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet
Starhawk (born Miriam Simos) is an American writer, anarchist activist, and self-described witch. She is well known as a theorist of Paganism, and is one of the foremost popular voices of ecofeminism. She is a columnist for both and On Faith (the Newsweek online forum on religion).

Starhawk currently lives in San Francisco, where she works with Reclaiming, a tradition of Witchcraft th
More about Starhawk...

Maya Greenwood (2 books)
  • The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1)

“But a real vision, a real change, isn’t safe,” Maya said. “You don’t pay a workshop fee for it, you pay with your life.” 2 likes