Start by marking “The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross

The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11.5)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Amanda Cross is master of the American literary whodunit. In her delicately menacing short fiction, assembled here in one volume, dangerous impulses seize the most unlikely individuals, and everyday existence is fast eclipsed by the bizarre. Among the compelling intrigues: The cold-blooded murder of Mrs. Byron Lloyd, shot dead during a writers' panel discussion . . . the e ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross

Moira Russell
I read these mainly because I had come to the end of all my Cross books (except for the very odd penultimate one), and was sad to have done so. In that context each story was a delight, a little like eating a very small box of very fine chocolates. I don't know what someone might make of these stories if they (the person not the stories) were not very familiar with Kate and her author. As Cross/Heilbrun says herself in her own introduction to the book, I don't typically read detective short stor ...more
Rebecca
Meh. There Are a few pleasing passages here and there but overall I was underwhelmed. These stories are all solved with information that the detective learns offstage which is cheating to my mind and makes the solution unsatisfying.
Cathy
I picked up this book at a give-away table in a library. The stories were delightful. Each was a nice easy read - just the right amount. I might have to check out other books by Cross.
Linda
Can one read too many Amanda Cross mysteries? I would have said no before I read this collection. Reading these stories in a row is much less satisfying than one full book at a time.

Cross writes witty, elegant and very literary mysteries. There may be bodies but rarely blood. Our English prof/investigator, Kate Fansler, always teaches me something new and interesting in the course of her tales. And I've long thought that her husband is the only other man I might consider marrying (after my own h
Andrea Sachs
I seldom read short stories because I like really getting to know the characters in a book. I found, however, that I was only reading a page or two of a novel before going to bed - so I decided to read Amanda Cross's Collected Stories thinking that one story a night would be a good going-to-bed read. I was right! These are not "murder mysteries", but thinking mysteries; puzzle solving stories.

Now - back to a much longer book!
Leslie Angel
didn't know she wrote stories. very nice to read her elegant, over-long sentences again, perfect for waiting for my car's oil to be changed.
Michele bookloverforever
I love Kate Fansler stories and have done so for 30 years.
MLF
MLF marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Hayley Woodbridge
Hayley Woodbridge marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Rsmith
Rsmith marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1) Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3) Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6) The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2) The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)