Start by marking “The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross

The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11.5)

Amanda Cross is master of the American literary whodunit. In her delicately menacing short fiction, assembled here in one volume, dangerous impulses seize the most unlikely individuals, and everyday existence is fast eclipsed by the bizarre. Among the compelling intrigues: The cold-blooded murder of Mrs. Byron Lloyd, shot dead during a writers' panel discussion . . . the e ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories of Amanda Cross

Moira Russell
I read these mainly because I had come to the end of all my Cross books (except for the very odd penultimate one), and was sad to have done so. In that context each story was a delight, a little like eating a very small box of very fine chocolates. I don't know what someone might make of these stories if they (the person not the stories) were not very familiar with Kate and her author. As Cross/Heilbrun says herself in her own introduction to the book, I don't typically read detective short stor ...more
Nov 16, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have missed Kate Fansler, so when I saw an Amanda Cross book that I had not read on the shelf, I grabbed it. I don't think I have ever seen these at the used bookstore before ... This is, as it says, a collection of short stories. Kate Fansler is involved in all except one. It was a perfect book for the train ride and filled with old friends.
Meh. There Are a few pleasing passages here and there but overall I was underwhelmed. These stories are all solved with information that the detective learns offstage which is cheating to my mind and makes the solution unsatisfying.
Sep 29, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can one read too many Amanda Cross mysteries? I would have said no before I read this collection. Reading these stories in a row is much less satisfying than one full book at a time.

Cross writes witty, elegant and very literary mysteries. There may be bodies but rarely blood. Our English prof/investigator, Kate Fansler, always teaches me something new and interesting in the course of her tales. And I've long thought that her husband is the only other man I might consider marrying (after my own h
Lynda Newman
An enjoyable, fun read!
Andrea Sachs
I seldom read short stories because I like really getting to know the characters in a book. I found, however, that I was only reading a page or two of a novel before going to bed - so I decided to read Amanda Cross's Collected Stories thinking that one story a night would be a good going-to-bed read. I was right! These are not "murder mysteries", but thinking mysteries; puzzle solving stories.

Now - back to a much longer book!
Dec 29, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at a give-away table in a library. The stories were delightful. Each was a nice easy read - just the right amount. I might have to check out other books by Cross.
Leslie Angel
didn't know she wrote stories. very nice to read her elegant, over-long sentences again, perfect for waiting for my car's oil to be changed.
Michele bookloverforever
I love Kate Fansler stories and have done so for 30 years.
Camille Gervasio
Camille Gervasio rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Jacque added it
Oct 10, 2016
Daniele marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Linda K March
Linda K March rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Jo Dawes
Jo Dawes marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Judy rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
jess marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Natalie Houghtby-haddon
Natalie Houghtby-haddon rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Alain added it
Jun 06, 2016
Alain added it
Jun 04, 2016
Anna marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Mary marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Tobi Grantham
Tobi Grantham marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Ken Russell
Ken Russell marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)