Start by marking “The Geography of Hope: A Tour of the World We Need” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Geography of Hope:...

Chris Turner

The Geography of Hope: A Tour of the World We Need

After the fierce warnings and grim predictions of The Weather Makers and An Inconvenient Truth, acclaimed journalist and national bestselling author Chris Turner finds hope in the search for a sustainable future.

Point of no return: The chilling phrase has become the ubiquitous mantra of ecological doomsayers, a troubling headline above stories of melting permafrost and rec
Published April 30th 2010 by Vintage Canada (first published October 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Geography of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Geography of Hope

theduckthief
Jun 12, 2009 theduckthief rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Under our current economic system, you can never have enough and you can never have too much. In fact, our entire economy is predicated on continued, endless growth. Yet we live in a finite world, with finite resources and a limited amount of space to dump our wastes. Bit of a problem there." David Suzuki p283

For years now we've been assaulted by the media shouting from the rooftops about global warming and dark predictions for the future. While "if it bleeds it leads" may still apply to journa
Joseph
Oct 22, 2008 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dreamers, Activists, People who Like to Build Things
The Geography of Hope is exactly what I'd hoped for when I ordered the book, an optimistic synopsis of the future. After receiving an "environmental must-reads" list from a friend, I whittled out several based on their cynicism and doomsaying. I heard about this book and checked out the author's website, liked his angle and sense of humor, and purchased the book through Amazon.ca.

Within the vignettes, the book imports a lot of ideas from other authors, with quotes, excerpts and book reviews in s
Patrick
May 20, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Hopefully I'll write a real review later, but as for right now, I've just got one minor complaint (although this was overall a GREAT read for anyone interested). My beef is that Chris seems to dismiss nuclear without giving me any real reason to take his side. From my point of view, I'm sitting here, trying to wrap my mind around what might be our real answers to this whole sustainability mess, and it seems he should have made a go at convincing me that nuclear options didn't deserve any place i ...more
JB
Dec 27, 2015 JB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise for this book--to provide a tour of the sustainable world we need--is sound and exciting. The book flirts with brilliance on several occasions, and provides quite a few examples (though dated) of sustainable communities, design, and ideology. All fine and good.

That said, this book needs an editor. Turner writes well, and perhaps a tad too much. Meandering, bloated, diverging paragraphs--pages--are much too common. I've had to skim many a paragraph to get to the good stuff: stories ab
Blake Kanewischer
Sep 04, 2013 Blake Kanewischer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, urbanism
I happened to read E.F. Schumacher's book, Economics as if People Mattered, shortly before reading this book, and the homage is notable (and acknowledged). This book is an extension of Schumacher's thoughts, and takes some of the modern technologies, ideas, and initiatives and relates them back to Schumacher's framework. It's an adaptive blueprint for our world, one where we can all take snippets, chunks, or entire chapters as needed for our lives.
Vineca Gray
Jan 15, 2014 Vineca Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Turner is a gifted researcher and social commentator above all else. His turning of phrase is a joy to read. For example, on the matter of Sir Thomas More's book 'Utopia'Chris states, "...the name itself is cunningly, punningly ambiguous: it translates literally from the Greek as 'no place', but it plays on a homonym meaning 'good place'."

Wow. I would recommend this book to anyone who is truly curious about the world we live in. An epic adventure.
Christine Ceballo
Jan 01, 2013 Christine Ceballo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Really does a good job exploring all the positive environmental achievements made in Canada and around the world. It's a nice change from the doom and gloom negative aspects of the problem. It's not an easy read and I did it in two rounds. Some of the working is a little heavy. I can't wait to read his book "The Leap".
Jeptha Davenport
Apr 08, 2008 Jeptha Davenport rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good examples of existing, implemented technology for sustainable living with a focus on individual and small community action, with some asides and personal observations from the author's one-year world travels to collect these examples. Chris Turner lives in Calgary and has inspired my own stab at more sustainable living here -- ask me how I get my electricity from wind power now!
Alexis
Nov 08, 2008 Alexis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book about sustainability and how the world is changing was just too damn long for me. It was good, but very complex and I had to pay attention. Still, I'm glad it was written and think other people out there might enjoy it more than I did.
Scott Harrison
Great book. Ones look at the sustainable places, people and ideas around the world. He travelled to all the places in this book.
Sanchit
Jan 09, 2014 Sanchit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I returned this...lets just say I finished the book.

To be honest though, I really liked this book. It was...like cake. Yummy.
Carolyn
Sep 26, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enviro, thinker, non-fic
I almost stopped reading this, the first chapter I found to be boring (and the last one too). but there many interesting things within the middle chapters of what's happening in the world
Lori Henry
Feb 05, 2012 Lori Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Turner packs this tome with a dizzying array of information, a lot to think about, and reasons to hope. I'm so glad I read it.
Jason Morelyle
Dec 29, 2015 Jason Morelyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Chris Turner is a national treasure and a much needed voice in the wilderness of big energy PR spin and climate change denial.
Tim Falconer
Tim Falconer rated it really liked it
May 11, 2009
Sandra Allen
Sandra Allen rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2010
Al
Al rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Dmetri Berko
Dmetri Berko rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Mike Velemirovich
Apr 06, 2014 Mike Velemirovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great detail
Elke Wenners
Elke Wenners rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Pcarley
Pcarley rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Andrea McDowell
Andrea McDowell rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Forrest
Forrest rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Devin
Devin rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Todd Tyrtle
Todd Tyrtle rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Tom Bowes
Tom Bowes rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2012
Brian G
Brian G rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization
  • Ecoholic Body: Your Ultimate Earth-Friendly Guide to Living Healthy and Looking Good
  • The 100-Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating
  • Getting A Grip: Clarity, Creativity, and Courage in a World Gone Mad
  • Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth
  • David Suzuki's Green Guide
  • Unhooked Generation: The Truth About Why We're Still Single
  • Slow is Beautiful: New Visions of Community, Leisure and Joie de Vivre
  • Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet
  • Skinny Bitching: A thirty-something woman mouths off about age angst, pregnancy pressure, and the dieting battles you'll never win
  • Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Making Good
  • Enough Is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources
  • Climate Wars
  • Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • The Status Syndrome: How Social Standing Affects Our Health and Longevity
Chris Turner (born July 25, 1973) is a Canadian journalist and author. He was the Green Party of Canada candidate in the November 2012 Calgary Centre federal by-election, placing third behind Conservative and Liberal candidates in a close race.

There is more than one author with this name

For the GoodReads SciFi author see Chris Turner.
More about Chris Turner...