Start by marking “El Profeta: (The Prophet--Spanish-language edition)” as Want to Read:
El Profeta: (The Prophet--Spanish-language edition)
read book* *Different edition

El Profeta: (The Prophet--Spanish-language edition)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  116,363 ratings  ·  4,091 reviews
La obra maestra de Kahlil Gibrán es uno de los más queridos clásicos de nuestra época, un repositorio rico en sabiduría y alegría que ha inspirado a generaciones de lectores. Con poesía frugal y bellamente resonante, El profeta ofrece inolvidables palabras de esperanza y consolación sobre los temas del nacimiento, del amor, del matrimonio, de la muerte y de los otros hitos ...more
Published November 9th 2011 by Vintage Espanol (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about El Profeta, please sign up.

Arielle She is a prophetess or seer. She has been given the gift of divine sight. Gibran studied Hindu texts and it seems as though he pulled it from there.…moreShe is a prophetess or seer. She has been given the gift of divine sight. Gibran studied Hindu texts and it seems as though he pulled it from there. "Mitra" is the Hindu god of friendship, thus the name Almitra. (less)

Man0sh
أعتقد أنها ستكون أروع شئ قرأته وسأقرأه عن الأنسانية والحب والعطاء والحكمة
كتاب رائع يستحق الاقتناء وقرائته أكثر من مرة
أبدع ثروت أباظه في ترجمته ويكأنه علي لسان عربي وليس بمترجم

أشد المقطوعات أثارت أعجابي
في المأكل والمشرب
وحين تنحر ذبيحتك ناجها في سريرتك قائلا:"إن الفدرة التي تذبحك هي نفسها... تذبحني؛وأنا مثلك مصيري الفناء.
فإن الناموس الذي أسلمك إلى يدي سوف يسلمني إلى يد أشد بأسا.
وحين تقضم التفاحة بين اسنانك،ناجها قائلا:"لسوف تحيا بذورك في جسدي، وتزهر براعم غدك في قلبي، ويصبح عبيرك أنفاسي؛ومعا ن
Karey
Jan 03, 2008 Karey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a breath of fresh air
Now that I'm reading The Prophet again, words that I read twenty-seven years ago still ring clearly in my mind as I read them again today. It was a wonderful moment a few evenings ago to find myself reciting aloud and from memory passages that had struck me then--and now--to the very core. Kahlil Gibran spent a couple of years revising The Prophet. Since it is a short book, the concepts come across as distilled. The influences of his native Lebanon as well as his love for scripture, come through ...more
Mansoor
The Prophet made me feel profoundly spiritual when I was nineteen. It was a great way to experience spirituality and romance as a teenager, but as I got older, its lusty descriptions of the true meaning of love, marriage, and life just seem like pretty, but shallow, wordplay.

Now, don't write to me and prove me wrong on this, because I like the idea very much. I believe that Khalil Gibran was quite the player. The Prophet has a seductive tone that avoids making any concrete statements, which is t
Patrick
Of course I remember almost nothing of this book, except that it was an arduous journey through the elementary and unspecific explanation of religious doctrine that tries to be open and liberal, but is actually very conservative and full of ideology that I feel is unrewarding mostly due to the difficulty in actual application. If anyone reads this, although I see no reason why they would, listen to my words. The truth, however you define it, however you need it, is simple. When you see it you kn ...more
Lee Transue
Despite your religious views, be they absent or strong, Gibran has given us a work of beauty that proves, to me at least, that faith is not necessary to be good and right.

A favorite quote from the book:

"Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music."

Lee
Jahn Sood
Jul 26, 2007 Jahn Sood rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone in a quiet place
I'm not sure that this book lived up to the thousands of recomendations that I got to read it. It is very beautiful, many of the lines are great, but as a whole, it seems like a sort of ode to indecision. Maybe I didn't take enough time with it, but seemed to me to be so heavily focussed on balance and contradictions that it didn't make any extreme proclamations. Maybe balance is more real than that which is self-glorifying, but I just wasn't as moved as I wanted to be. Maybe at a different time ...more
Huda Yahya

ولا يخطر
ryan
Jul 29, 2007 ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
a book for anyone willing to step outside of the insitutionalized perspective of life that most of America and the world finds itself in. Every line is an intuitive and insightful proclamation of the gut feelings we all have about the way life can be lived and should be lived. I have heard the quote on marriage being like two trees standing near each other with a little space between them so the wind (God) can come between them. it's an extremely popular and inspirational book!
Nadia Mounier
دي مش هتبقي أول و أخر مرة أقراه, الكتاب مليان جدا و أعتقد انه صعب ان الواحد يدركه من أول مرة و لكني استمتعت بشكل كبير جدا بيه. فكرته فكرتني جدا بخطبة الوداع لسيدنا محمد (ص) , و ده مفسره ثروت عكاشة في المقدمة عن تأثر جبران بالانجيل و القرأن و النسخة الانجليزيه في أسلوبها الشعري و الرومانسي متأثر جدا بأسلوب ترجمة الانجيل , حتي الالفاظ المستخدمة شعرية انجليلة بشكل واضح.

ثروت عكاشة ابدع في الترجمة لم يجعلها ترجمة حرفية أو حتي ترجمة محترفية ناقلة فقط بالعكس أنا كنت احيانا بنسي انها ترجمة, أسلوبه الشعر
John
This is a semi-poetic collection of views on important things in life, like love, giving, crime and punishment, pain, talking, and beauty. They are told by a wise person who gives his opinions when solicited by the town on his day of departure. I like this part:

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, Speak to us of Children.
And he said:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though the
أحمد
يلقِّب البعض هذا الكتاب بإنجيل جبران. أعتقد أن هذا هو الوصف الأفضل لكتاب اقتبس كاتبه حروفه من نور سماوي.

أحمد الديب
2008
Dan
Jul 16, 2007 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college guys who want to impress girls, teenagers who want to feel spiritual
This book is cool because it is an excellent display of how similar the world's religions truly are. When it comes down to it, they are really all the same and the differences are mainly aesthetic.

However, pretty much any person who has learned about many different religions is really going to come to the same conclusion. All the religions in the world are all compatible, because their entire purpose is to provide a belief system to help people in a society get along. The rules that make humans
Riku Sayuj
Re-read a classic to start off the new year. As with every classic, this too turned up in a new light. With echoes of Schopenhauer, Kant and even Comte, this deep poem suddenly took new life in this reading. Now what is left is to search out which way the influence spread before flowering in this expression - east to west, the other way, or is it an early amalgamation of all philosophy like all truly great poems are.
§--
Mar 31, 2010 §-- rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: trash cans, hippies, idiots
Shelves: least-favorites
98% Nonsense. I feel dizzy.

There are a couple nice lines in here:

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?"

And,

"Beauty is eternity looking at itself in the mirror."

THAT'S IT, though. There is nothing else worth reading. Yea Verily, I say unto ye that ye cannot be intelligent or well-re
Jen
Jul 01, 2009 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wannabe mystics
Recommended to Jen by: it was free, so it recommended itself
I am torn between loving this book and wanting to make fun of it. Lets have the fun first. From Jen, the prophet-

On laughter:

And now, why do you snicker, or sniggle, or cough aloud
when a wrong happens? The mouth of the unjust is eternally in riot, it delights to bare the teeth and pull back the unclean lips.

As Bram pointed out there are definite subtexts here...this is my genius, of course. I meant to be all subtexty and such. Ha.

I loved this book. Loved it. When I read it, alone, it was wonderf
Hend
The song of love ,love of nature, and all other creatures
, love that illuminates the wonderful aspects of life and that gives life meaning and depth. ……
He believe in the purity of human being and the goodness hidden in every soul, that is devoid of any evil … it is a whisper on spirituality……

A quote that I liked….

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the n
Erinina Marie
The Prophet by Kalil Ghibran

This book was given to me as a gift from my director in the last show that I did. I carried it with me everywhere and read it on the train, anytime I was waiting or bored. It brought me such immense comfort and inspiration. When I would read it’s pages before a long day at work, I came to work much more peaceful, than crabby. It’s messages are simple, yet profound and there is room in them to interpret them and hear them according to wherever you are in your life. I t
Hayat الياقوت
أجمل ما في هذا الكتاب هو المقدمة التي كتبها المترجم د. ثروت عكاشة والتي تناهز المئة صفحة.
فيها ذكر سيرة جبران، وقد انبهرت بكثير من الحقائق التي ذكرها خاصة علاقته بـ"ماري هاسكل".
ومن الأمور المفيدة في المقدمة تحليله حول فكر جبران وعقيدته، وكيف أنه أقرب إلى الصوفية والإيمان بوحودة الوجود والحلول من أي شيء آخر. وأيضا من تبيانه أنه ثمة تناص في الشكل على الأقل بين ما كتبه جبران وبين ما كتبه نيتشه.

كتب "النبي" أصلا بالإنكليزية، ولم يترجمه جبران إلى العربية. ترجمة د. عكاشة بليغة جدا وفيها روح أدبية رائعة
الطبعة التي قرأتها عن (دار العرب للبستاني)..مكتوب عليها أنها الترجمة الوحيدة التي أقرها جبران
وهي ترجمة: أنطونيوس بشير
الطبعة الثانية-1985

ومرفق بها الاثني عشرة لوحة التي رسمها جبران لهذا الكتاب-للأصل الانجليزي لهذا الكتاب-
استمتعتُ بقراءة هذا الكتاب الصغير
،وجداني جدًا،وفلسفته المحبة المعطاءة..ليس متفائلاً أو متشائمًا،بل يحاول أن ينبه لماوراء كل فعل وسلوك يشترك فيه البشر
تكلم عن الدين والزواج والعمل والصداقة والشريعة والجريمة والشر والخير..
عن الحب والعطاء الذي في كل شئ،عن عمق هذه الأشياء جميعًا
ملحق
Zaki
I think people are making this out to be something it's not. It's bombastic nonsense.
Muhammad Galal
-- مصنّفٌ هذا الكتاب بأنّه أشهر و أروع ما كتب جبران .
-- قال عنه صاحبه " إنّه ديانتي و أقدسُ قدسيّات حياتي "
-- أٌصدرَ بالإنجليزيّة عام 1923 م .
-- عرّبه الأرشمندريت أنطونيوس بشير .
-- استمرّ جبران في التعبير عن وحدة الوجود بصوره الأكثر من رائعة .
-- زيارتي الثالثة عشر لجبران .
--" إنّ جميع كتابات جبران تدعو إلى التفكير العميق ، بل ترغم قارئها على إعمال ذهنه و عقله .
فإن كنتَ تخاف تفكّر فالأجدر بكَ ألّا تقرأ جبران " كلام أديب عندما سُئل عن جبران " .
-- هو بالفعل كتاب مُرهِق خاصة في ظلّ عودتي له بعد ان
Abdullah
Jan 17, 2014 Abdullah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abdullah by: صديق قديم
أول مرة سمعت فيها عن الكتاب كانت منذ مايقارب 7 سنوات من أحد الأصدقاء. فبدأت وقتها في رحلة البحث عن "النبي" وباءت جميع محاولاتي بالفشل. بعدها نسيت الكتاب -أو تناسيته- إلى أن ثارت ثائرتي في فترة من الفترات بحثاً عنه مرة أخرى, لكني للأسف لم أجده. ومن محاسن الصدف -وبعد أن نسيته فعلاً- لمحته في معرض الكتاب 2009, لحظتها وقفت عند الكتاب, أمسكته بيدي, وشعرت بإحساس غريب مصحوب بإبتسامة لاإرادية. كيف لا وقد كنت أبحث عنه منذ 7 سنوات. اشتريته مباشرة حتى بدون تفكير!

يحكي الكتاب قصة النبي (المصطفى) الذي حان موع
michelle
This book is a fantastic read of wisdom literature. Do you question passion, death, love, friends, pain, sorrow, work, and life's many other complexities?
If so, read this because the prophet addresses so many of life's complexities with honest, simple and faithful answers. Praise to Gibran.
أحمد سعيد البراجه
"وسيظل جبران ناقوساً مزعجاً ما بقى جسد الشرق جسداً تنهشه علل البلادة، وأهله يتلذذون ركوعهم من المهد إلى اللحد أمام طواغيتهم وما ألفوا عليه آبائهم دون أن يتأملوا الحياة ويعيدوا معرفة أنفسهم بوعي وفكر طليق"
إبراهيم صقر

في قراءتي الثالثة لجبران خليل جبران - بترجمة أنطونيس بشير - أدركت سر حبي وولعي بكتابات جبران
فجبران لا يكتب إلا ما يعتقده حقاً وصواباً ،، وهذا سر نفاذه إلى روحي مباشرة
وهناك ميزة أخرى لكتابات جبران لخصها في كلمته على لسان (المصطفى): فإنني أنقل إليكم بألفاظي ما تدركونه أنتم بأفكاركم.

فبعد
Becky
I admit that I was curious about this book, though it is not something that I would usually gravitate toward. I don't get down with preachy-type stuff. BUT, still I was curious, so when a friend bought me this book for Christmas, I decided to not let it languish on my shelves until I forgot I had it and just go forth and read it.

And now I can say that I have read it... but I don't think that it really did much for me. I'm not much into spiritual or inspirational stuff for its own sake. I can en
Ahmed

في رسائل إنسانية سامية , رسائل خطّها بشر من نوع خاص , رسائل قد تصل لدرجة ما من القداسة , من حيث سمو مكانتها وعلوها .
فقد ناطحت السحاب من حيث عظمة الإبداع , ولا يمكنك عندما تفرغ من قرائتها إلا الاستسلام لبالغ أثرها من براعة لفظ و روعة وصف و دقة تعبير .
نواجه هنا نص في غاية الجمال , نص لخّص فيها إنسان معاناته و تجربته الإنسانية العظيمة بطريقة أقل ما يوصف بها هي العظمة.
أيها السادة : ببساطة مطلقة , هناك بعض النصوص لابد لك من قرائتها قبل أن تموت , ضع ذلك النص على رأس هذه القائمة.
Ghadasedik
ترجمة , ثروت عكاشة,

ترجمة رائعة حقا, تشعرك أن النص قد كتب بالعربية.

كلمات جبران تذكرني بالتعبير المصري "يطري عالقلب"

يعصر علي قلبك عصارة حلاوة و دفء عواطفه من خلال كلماته.

في هذه الأيام تعلمت معني أن استمتع بالأدب و أحلق معه , حتي لو لم اتفق مع أفكار الكاتب,

فكرة جبران الرئيسية تدور حول الرومانسية المثالية , و تحقيق الفردوس الكامل علي الأرض ,

حيث يعيش الكل بوئام و حب و سلام.

و هو مالن يحدث في هذه الحياة, بل سيتحقق فقط في فردوس الآخرة.

لكن بالرغم من ذلك استفدت علي مستوي الأفكار.

مقدمة ثروت عكاشة مفيدةو ضر
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
There is a wealth of insight and wisdom in this book. I don't remember exactly when I first read it all the way through, but I regularly pull it out and read portions of it.

Here is the quote that has remained strongest in my mind over the years. I frequently recite some of these lines when I'm making a bid for the sweet blessedness of silence:

"You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts;
And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart
you live in your lips,
And sound
Ibrahim Saad
جبران !! ...

إن كان لنا أن نلتقي في غسق الذكرى ثانية ً ، فسوف نتحدث معاً مرةً أخرى ، وسوف تغنّون لي أُغنية أعمق
وإذا قُيض لأيدينا أن تلتقي في حُلُمٍ آخر ، فسوف نُشيّدُ بُرجاً آخرَ في السماء .
أما الآن فقد هجرنا النومُ ، وانتهى حُلمنا ، وما من فجر . الظهيرة جاءت وتحوّلت يقظتنا في انتصافها إلى نهارٍ أكثر اكتمالاً ، وعلينا أن نفترق .

هل كان يقصدني جبران بكلامه هذا ، هل كان يقصد كل من سيقرأ الكتاب .. لا أدري .
كالعادة بعد أن أنتهي من أي كتاب لجبران ، أقف والحيرة تسيطر على كل تفكيري ، ماذا أقول عن هذا
Emily
May 20, 2009 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fiction
Verily I say unto you that
you will find no profundity here
unless, perhaps, you take up that bong
or eat that mushroom.
Nor will you find anything that thousands of others
did not say long, long before, far more magnificently.
And you may very well sob, asking yourself,
"Why did I waste an hour of my time thus?"
Fear not. You may happen upon an opportunity to weave it
into a novel.
Now, return to Plato, Aeschylus, Aristophanes... for your profundity,
and do not forget that life is too short for tripe.
Does anyone else out there read this book daily? 38 223 Dec 23, 2014 12:25PM
  • Be Here Now
  • A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life
  • Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
  • Songs of Kabir
  • Old Path White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha
  • Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
  • Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior
  • Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
  • Autobiography of a Yogi
  • The I Ching or Book of Changes
Khalil Gibran (also spelled Kahlil Gibran; Arabic: جبران خليل جبران) was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer.
Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of Ottoman Mount Lebanon), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. Hi
More about Khalil Gibran...
The Broken Wings The Madman Sand and Foam A Tear and a Smile The Garden of The Prophet

“You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts.” 6886 likes
“Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.” 3145 likes