Start by marking “Control the Crazy: My Plan to Stop Stressing, Avoid Drama, and Maintain Inner Cool” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  25 reviews
We all have the power to make our lives better in an instant. You have absolute power to control your crazy. In his new book, Vinny from Jersey Shore shares the step-by-step program that has helped him get a handle on his anxious mind and filled him with a sense of personal power and control that has rocked every facet of his life.
Published April 17th 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Control the Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control the Crazy

Julia Di Piazza
Did I seriously just read a book about controlling your anxiety that was written by one of the cast of The Jersey Shore? And did I actually kind of enjoy it??? What is wrong with me?!?!

Not a stranger to anxious feelings and panic attacks, I've read a good amount of literature on the subject. This book is definitely...um, different than a lot of the other self-help books I've come across. However, I can see how a book like this would be helpful for young people with these mental health problems....more
Debbie
May 15, 2012 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: troubled teens, young people,
Recommended to Debbie by: Marci Shimoff via e-mail
Who would have thought that Vinny on MTV's Jersey Shore could write a great self help book?
I have read a lot of self help books and Vinny's is a refreshing update on the classic ideas.
Here is a quote from the book, "Generosity and gratitude act like the cleaning agent Formula 409 on your mind".
Vinny really tells it like it is with his co-author Samantha Rose.
If you have a young person in your family, get them this book.
If you have a troubled teen, get them this book.
If you want to know what youn...more
Christina
Read Control the Crazy:

It's the emotional logic of spiritual teachers jazzed up in an easy-to-comprehend guido's real-life narrative.

The book distills pages and pages of self-help information contained in other books into the simple, few proven techniques. Vinny from Jersey Shore cuts through the clutter of touchy-feely principles and gives the reader useful, practical advice.

Vinny Guadagnino from Jersey Shore, Reality TV's Hottest Celeb, has General Anxiety Disorder (GAD).

Yep-no kidding.

As does...more
Holly Hood
Recently I have had my fair share of anxiety creeping up. Not afraid to admit it. It makes you feel crazy for sure. I really didn't even think about picking this up, but last night when I was rather emotional I read the sample and totally found myself relating to the words I was reading.
I will say it made me feel better in many ways. Vinny offers a lot of helpful tips on battling anxiety. Those who don't have it don't understand how hard it is. It can hit out of nowhere, it makes you go places i...more
Lori

So yeah, I read a book written by Vinny from Jersey Shore.

To be honest, I picked it up because with a title like Control the Crazy I thought it would be chock full of the crazy antics of the Jersey Shore cast as seen from the most level-headed member.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a self-help book on dealing with and controlling General Anxiety Disorder, a disorder from which Vinny suffers.

Imagine my further surprise when the book delivered on its premise...

Using mind, body and sou...more
Taneika (Flipping Through The Pages...)
My name is Taneika, and I am a self-confessed Jersey Shore addict.
I know I probably lose a few brain cells each time I watch an episode but it's just so funny and so ridiculous.

When Snooki, JWOWW and even freaking Mike released books, I just thought, "Wow, these guys are clearly trying to milk the money cow" and there was (and still is) no way in hell I'm going to read any of their books.

So WHY am I going to read this? Well for one, Vinny is easily the best person in the house and is easily th...more
Tatiana
I appreciated how accessible it was. It really shows that Vinny know who might be picking up this book. I also really liked that he was very clear that these were his thoughts, ideas and coping mechanisms and that he in know way was a professional and that if you feel your issues are serious that you should seek out a professional.

I did find it a little beneath me in some places but again he's writing for people would see that someone from the jersey shore wrote a book rather than those who migh...more
Elizabeth
Okay, so I love Vinny. He has always been one of my favorite characters on Jersey Shore and I was amped to hear he wrote a book. It made me really eager to want to buy it, especially because it was about dealing with anxiety and I do that on a daily basis. I'll be the first to say he is an all around awesome person..but as for his writing? Parts of it really annoyed me. A lot of his advice I really valued and could relate to. But, his writing was SO repetitive. I also wasn't a fan of how he stop...more
Stacie
Like Vinny, I also have generalized anxiety disorder, so I can relate and understand completely. This book helped me immensely, I swear I thought to myself "you too?!" a hundred times while I was reading. It made me realize how my negative thoughts are impacting my life and how I can control them. The author also wrote this in a very realistic manner, after introducing every new technique, he explains that you may not be able to achieve it right away and how you can practice to get better at it....more
Jake
This book was very good. One of my favorites. I liked it so much because I could relate to it, I felt like i understood every point that the author made. When I read the book I read for hours at home because i could not put it down and it seemed like it was very easy to read and well put together.

I would recommend it to anyone that is struggling with anxiety. It is very informational and it shows struggles from someone else point of view. Also it helps you get a better understanding of how sever...more
Brisbride13
I didn't read this book cover to cover; I really wanted to see if this was a valid guide to controlling anxiety and found that it contains much of what I have learned as far as the breathing exercises, changing thought processes and it's written for a younger audience, which I think is wonderful. If I was a young adult I would be more inclined to read this, with Vinny on the cover than something called Anxiety Disorders: A Scientific...blah, blah, blah!
Amanda
This book really made me appreciate Vinny in a new way. I too struggle with anxiety and he really taught me new ways to deal with it. This book is for anyone, not just for people who struggle with depression and anxiety. I find myself using a lot of the tips and pointers that he shares and it does make me feel like a better person. He shows you how to have a good outlook on life instead of always being so negative, which I also used to struggle with as we'll. I defiantly recommend it.
Wico Velante
Not bad for a Jersey Shore!
Caitlin Chciuk
Not sure what will come of this, but hey, it's a quick easy read to get me through finals!

This book had me laughing so much... it was really, really well done. Vinny doesn't try to be someone who believes he can fix everything -- he keeps asserting that this is what worked for him and maybe it'll work for someone else. I gained a lot from this book. :)
Liz
Vinny deals with anxiety, and genuinely wants to help others by sharing his knowledge. He makes Chopra, Tolle, and all those other self-help gurus that normally bore a person to tears accessible. He doesn't talk down, uses a little humor, and avoids excessive buzzwords like "enlightenment."
Melanie
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.
Heather

This book truly opened my eyes and helped me learn to live a better life. There are many helpful tools that can be used to get your anxiety under control; it really works! Thanks Vinny!
Jordan
Amazing book!! It gives amazing information on how to fight the crazy ego thoughts in your head!It also taught me what an egomaniac is and now I can sense an egomaniac right away!
Susan Vacher
Good all around advice on dealing with stress and anxiety based on a mind, body and soul approach. Not particularly new information but delivered Jersey Shore style!
Kate Mac
Ridiculously repetitive, abused the word "mad" as an adjective. Full review here: http://katieboe.wordpress.com/2013/06...
Deuce Bigelow
It had some useful tips that I'll certainly try to implement at work but otherwise I didn't really find its message useful.
Kayla Marie
So far it's a pretty good book, I like how it relates to my generation and he breaks it down so young adults can grasp it better!
Colleen
I am surprised how much I like this book - not what I expected at all…
Chelsea Gouin
A nice guide on how to calm your anxiety. Really helpful!
Becky
it was good advice
Zyzzbrah
Zyzzbrah marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Cynara
Cynara is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Vinny Guadagnino was born and raised in Staten Island, New York, and comes from a traditional Italian-American family. He graduated from CUNY College of Staten Island with honors, took the LSAT, and was a political aide for a State Assemblyman before joining Jersey Shore in 2009. When he’s not appearing on reality and scripted television, Vinny focuses on prosocial issues.
More about Vinny Guadagnino...