Start by marking “Vegetables, Revised: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking, with More than 300 Recipes” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A master class on vegetables with award-winning cookbook author and renowned cooking instructor James Peterson

Have you ever purchased bundles of ingredients at the farmers’ market only to arrive home and wonder what on earth to do with your bag of fiddlehead ferns, zucchini flowers, bamboo shoots, or cactus pads? Treat yourself to an in-depth education withVegetables, accl
Published March 27th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published July 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetables, Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetables, Revised

sara frances
pssssh, no way i am going to take the time to peel asparagus!
Mckinley
Very helpful book about types, how to prepare etc. with recipes. Also gives variations on recipes. Tried marinating mushrooms two ways. Liked one as is, the other I think will be could if I saute them. Will try out tonight. Con - he talks about Ramps but never explains what they are. Pro - as compared to Cranberry beans which he does define. Turns out a ramp is also called a wild leek. Who knew?

FYI -- "The Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink," the word ramp comes from "rams," or "ramson," an
Jenny
The photographs are beautiful and this book is packed with information, but I found it hard to read. Each recipe is printed in two colors and in multiple fonts and font sizes. The directions are so small that they are difficult to read, but at the same time, there is a lot of white space on each page. This is annoying since this is a cookbook and most people who use it to cook are going to want to be able to easily read the instructions. This is not a vegetarian cookbook, many of the recipes inc ...more
Tim
a fine introduction, though i didn't really understand the organization. cooking does a much better job of covering the basics, and here he has a very strange introduction which has lots of recipes, before starting part 2 which goes into individual vegetables, half of which are not vegetables - mushrooms, spices, herbs, obscure plants he wants to reference but then doesn't give a recipe or a photo. didn't love this one.
Monique
Too much general stuff not enough interesting recipes
Gary Turner
Eat more vegetables. Very comprehensive.
Kelly
I love vegetable cookbooks. I love this vegetable cookbook in particular. Peterson gives some truly tasty recipes. Our family favorite is the Winter Squash gratin on page 197. Not low fat by any means, but so worth it! I made this when Jack was just starting to eat solid foods and he pushed away his plain baby-food squash in favor of this dish. Fabulous pictures, too.
Bunny
I want to own this book.

The recipes are lackluster, I only found two worth keeping for myself. But the instructions on how to prepare the vegetables are phenomenal. I learned so much, including what some veggies I'd always heard talked about on Top Chef actually ARE.

Such an incredibly informative, and beautiful book.
Jeanne
Really love this book. Copy I read is coffe-table size though which makes it hard to enjoy reading and you can't take it along for waiting rooms or lunch breaks. Wish I could find it in a different size and really get a chance to spend some time over it.
Cherie
B- Not as good as I hoped; some real basics on veggies. If you cook like him, you have to go to the store almost every day; he barely keeps any veggies more than a few days (including some root veggies!). Some interesting recipes.
Stephen Simpson
Disappointing relative to the many other Peterson books I've read and owned. It's not a bad book, it just doesn't cover much (if any) new ground and there just aren't that many interesting recipes in it.
Christina Cox
I love it when we find some strange looking vegetable in the supermarket and then look it up in this vegetable book! I don't have to worry about trying something new because there are great recipes included too!
Tatjana
Great book of cooking obscure and common vegetables. Delicious, but uses plenty of fat. It's good if you already have a sense of cooking. This is not a beginner's book, though it has some excellent prep tips.
Miss
Great reference book. Colour pictures, always a bonus. Simple recipes/tips for prepping veggies of all kinds.
A good way to expand my food choices as I continue to add for all-veggie meals to my life.
Christa
Love this book. Not for the experienced chef, but basic and simple for the beginner cook like me. I like the simple pictures and descriptions and the recipes are not over-the-top.
Happyreader
A good reference for veggie recipes. Sometimes a bit too much butter or cream and not too adverturous with the spicy but the recipes are good basics.
Catherine Woodman
I have a number of cookbooks devoted to vegetable dishes, and a number of his cookbooks--this is a great one.
Josie
This is a beautiful but ultimately useless cookbook. It's long on description and short on recipes.
Beka
Solid basics, but not enough pictures to make my mouth water.
Barbara
Not a great resource for recipes, but good for reference.
Susie
Farmer's markets are open! Lots of ideas here.
Brent
another GT library member.
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Nhi Yến
Nhi Yến marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Anne Crandall
Anne Crandall marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • Thai Food
  • The Food of Spain
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • The UltraMetabolism Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes that Will Turn on Your Fat-Burning DNA
  • Susan Feniger's Street Food: Irresistibly Crispy, Creamy, Crunchy, Spicy, Sticky, Sweet Recipes
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
James Peterson grew up in northern California and studied chemistry and philosophy at UC Berkeley. After his studies, he traveled around the world, working his way through Asia, by land, to Europe. Eventually he landed in Paris and was amazed by the French attitude toward food and drink. (This was in the mid seventies when food in America was practically non-existent.) It was in France that he fou ...more
More about James Peterson...
Baking Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making Cooking Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups Fish & Shellfish: The Definitive Cook's Companion