Start by marking “Vegetables, Revised: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking, with More than 300 Recipes” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A master class on vegetables with award-winning cookbook author and renowned cooking instructor James Peterson

Have you ever purchased bundles of ingredients at the farmers’ market only to arrive home and wonder what on earth to do with your bag of fiddlehead ferns, zucchini flowers, bamboo shoots, or cactus pads? Treat yourself to an in-depth education withVegetables, accl
Published March 27th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published July 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetables, Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetables, Revised

sara frances
pssssh, no way i am going to take the time to peel asparagus!
Mckinley
Very helpful book about types, how to prepare etc. with recipes. Also gives variations on recipes. Tried marinating mushrooms two ways. Liked one as is, the other I think will be could if I saute them. Will try out tonight. Con - he talks about Ramps but never explains what they are. Pro - as compared to Cranberry beans which he does define. Turns out a ramp is also called a wild leek. Who knew?

FYI -- "The Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink," the word ramp comes from "rams," or "ramson," an
Jenny
Jun 22, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The photographs are beautiful and this book is packed with information, but I found it hard to read. Each recipe is printed in two colors and in multiple fonts and font sizes. The directions are so small that they are difficult to read, but at the same time, there is a lot of white space on each page. This is annoying since this is a cookbook and most people who use it to cook are going to want to be able to easily read the instructions. This is not a vegetarian cookbook, many of the recipes inc ...more
Tim
Feb 12, 2014 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-wine
a fine introduction, though i didn't really understand the organization. cooking does a much better job of covering the basics, and here he has a very strange introduction which has lots of recipes, before starting part 2 which goes into individual vegetables, half of which are not vegetables - mushrooms, spices, herbs, obscure plants he wants to reference but then doesn't give a recipe or a photo. didn't love this one.
Jessica May
Feb 03, 2016 Jessica May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good guide to one thing you can do with each kind of veg- going over hundreds of different vegetables. I made the bok choy recipe and found the tip about separating the thick stem from the leaves in the very beginning (then cooking those bits for longer) to make my finished product more enjoyable than the typical mix of over-and-under-cooked slop I normally produce.

On the other hand, many of the recipes are complex for a cook's first introduction to a new vegetable. It's like they didn't decid
Monique
Too much general stuff not enough interesting recipes
Gary Turner
May 05, 2014 Gary Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eat more vegetables. Very comprehensive.
Kelly
Sep 15, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love vegetable cookbooks. I love this vegetable cookbook in particular. Peterson gives some truly tasty recipes. Our family favorite is the Winter Squash gratin on page 197. Not low fat by any means, but so worth it! I made this when Jack was just starting to eat solid foods and he pushed away his plain baby-food squash in favor of this dish. Fabulous pictures, too.
Bunny
Jun 29, 2012 Bunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to own this book.

The recipes are lackluster, I only found two worth keeping for myself. But the instructions on how to prepare the vegetables are phenomenal. I learned so much, including what some veggies I'd always heard talked about on Top Chef actually ARE.

Such an incredibly informative, and beautiful book.
Jeanne
Oct 10, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Really love this book. Copy I read is coffe-table size though which makes it hard to enjoy reading and you can't take it along for waiting rooms or lunch breaks. Wish I could find it in a different size and really get a chance to spend some time over it.
Cherie
B- Not as good as I hoped; some real basics on veggies. If you cook like him, you have to go to the store almost every day; he barely keeps any veggies more than a few days (including some root veggies!). Some interesting recipes.
Stephen Simpson
Feb 16, 2015 Stephen Simpson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Disappointing relative to the many other Peterson books I've read and owned. It's not a bad book, it just doesn't cover much (if any) new ground and there just aren't that many interesting recipes in it.
Christina Cox
May 28, 2012 Christina Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it when we find some strange looking vegetable in the supermarket and then look it up in this vegetable book! I don't have to worry about trying something new because there are great recipes included too!
Alexandra
Jan 05, 2016 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has opened my eyes up to so many new vegetables that I never knew what they were or how to prepare them. It's a great resource for every kitchen and I learned alot--I wish there was one for fruits!
Tatjana
Oct 31, 2011 Tatjana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book of cooking obscure and common vegetables. Delicious, but uses plenty of fat. It's good if you already have a sense of cooking. This is not a beginner's book, though it has some excellent prep tips.
Miss
Aug 24, 2012 Miss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
Great reference book. Colour pictures, always a bonus. Simple recipes/tips for prepping veggies of all kinds.
A good way to expand my food choices as I continue to add for all-veggie meals to my life.
Christa
Love this book. Not for the experienced chef, but basic and simple for the beginner cook like me. I like the simple pictures and descriptions and the recipes are not over-the-top.
Happyreader
Feb 20, 2008 Happyreader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
A good reference for veggie recipes. Sometimes a bit too much butter or cream and not too adverturous with the spicy but the recipes are good basics.
Catherine Woodman
I have a number of cookbooks devoted to vegetable dishes, and a number of his cookbooks--this is a great one.
Josie
Jan 05, 2008 Josie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful but ultimately useless cookbook. It's long on description and short on recipes.
Beka
Jun 21, 2012 Beka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Solid basics, but not enough pictures to make my mouth water.
Barbara
Not a great resource for recipes, but good for reference.
Susie
Jun 21, 2012 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 600s
Farmer's markets are open! Lots of ideas here.
Scott Cardwell
Jul 20, 2011 Scott Cardwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my veggie cooking bible.
Brent
Jul 13, 2007 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another GT library member.
ashley parks
ashley parks marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Khadija Suleiman
Khadija Suleiman marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Asad Hanif
Asad Hanif rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Amanda boone
Amanda boone marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • Thai Food
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Turquoise: A Chef's Travels in Turkey
  • The Old World Kitchen: The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Patricia Wells at Home in Provence: Recipes Inspired By Her Farmhouse In France
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • The Food of Spain
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Oaxaca Al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy
James Peterson grew up in northern California and studied chemistry and philosophy at UC Berkeley. After his studies, he traveled around the world, working his way through Asia, by land, to Europe. Eventually he landed in Paris and was amazed by the French attitude toward food and drink. (This was in the mid seventies when food in America was practically non-existent.) It was in France that he fou ...more
More about James Peterson...