Start by marking “A Dog's Life” as Want to Read:
A Dog's Life
Peter Mayle

A Dog's Life

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,280 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
The bestsellling author of A Year in Provence and Hotel Pastis now surveys his territory from a differnt vantage point: the all-fours perspective of his dog, Boy--"a dog whose personality is made up of equal parts Boswell and Dr. Johnson, Mencken and A. A. Milne" (Chicago Sun-Times). Enhanced by 59 splendidly whimsical drawings by Edward Koren.
Published July 3rd 2013 by Vintage (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog's Life

Sep 05, 2010 Lize rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, 2005
This book was a delight. It's a memoir by author Peter Mayle's dog, Garcon, written in the style of Proust:

“Over the years, I have developed a soft spot for Proust. He tends to go on a bit for my taste, but we do have several characteristics in common. Both French, of course. Both with a reflective nature. Both keen admirers of the biscuit—madeleines for him, and the calcium enriched, bone-shaped, extra crunchy model for me. And so, I thought to myself, if he can share his opinions about life, l
V.R. Barkowski
Aug 13, 2010 V.R. Barkowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a busy week, and I needed a pick-me-up, so I decided to reread a book that always makes me smile: A Dog’s Life by Peter Mayle. It worked. I’m still laughing. And for that reason alone, it deserves praise, If you love dogs and/or France, this is a must read. My favorite chapter? “Mano a Mano with the Cat in the Garage.” As a dog AND cat owner, the title alone makes me giggle.

What’s it about?
Peter Mayle is best known for his books detailing life in Provence. Consider A Dog’s Life a varia
May 08, 2012 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I don't know how to shelve this book...Thinking back on how I started reading Peter Mayle, it was all because of mom. When I ran out of things to read I would go through the book that my mom had gotten from the library or her personal collection, as any book-hungry child would do. I even went through some of those how-to-raise-your-child nurture books. I read voraciously and always wanted more. Anyway, back to Peter Mayle. It was different from the books I was reading, and because of that I w ...more
Mayleen Cadiz
Jun 27, 2010 Mayleen Cadiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a dog or dogs, this book is a must read. Though the author used his own words in expressing his dog's opinions, his take on a canine's view of the human life is simply hilarious.

The dog named Boy is slightly mean, funny and above all smart. His comments on other dogs, cats, his human family, and other human beings can offend the sensitive type but honestly, most of them are true.

If all dogs can talk or write, they would definitely agree with what Boy wrote in his "memoir".
Feb 16, 2015 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute and amusing book! This is a quick read and great pick-me-up when you are feeling low or have just finished a depressing or text heavy book. I would recommend this book to anyone, just don't take it seriously or analyze it, it was meant for fun.
Ilana Waters
May 10, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that Peter Mayle could write equally well from the point of view of man AND dog? Well, those who are fans (ahem, moi ;-) already had an inkling. But it's still fun to see the master in action for yourself, so pick up a copy and get ready to enjoy!
Roxi Kirstein
Dec 10, 2010 Roxi Kirstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of my gndmother reading this book to me when i was just eight years old whilst on a visit to see her in Cape Town. The tone and expression which she used only made it all the more entertaining and sarcastic. I will NEVER forget this book, i swear it.
I have been a fan of Peter Mayle for a while. A Dog’s Life is different from his usual writing style but I thoroughly enjoyed it. This story is told from the dog’s point of view. It seems like a very accurate accounting of what I think dog’s reactions may be. But then I tend to give my dogs more credit regarding their thought processes and adding human emotion.

“Boy” was a pup with an unhappy childhood. He was chained outside with barely any shelter and had a cruel owner. When he was taken huntin
Boy is the key character in this humorous little book written by Peter Mayle. This dog is based on a dog Mayle once adopted whose "uncertain origins and dubious hunting skills" made him a dog only the author and his wife could love. Boy tells his own story from amorous approaches to a female far too little to really love to cats which he abhors and chases out of his territory to chickens which are a form of "sport and nourishment."

It's a light read that can be best enjoyed by dog lovers/owners.
Erma Odrach
Oct 20, 2011 Erma Odrach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really entertaining and funny memoir written from the point of view of a canine of "mysterious lineage" named Boy. It recounts Boy's everyday life from shopping at a butcher shop, to getting a bath, to even quoting Voltaire.

Here's a small passage, "A brace of a pig's trotters had caught my eye, and I was deliberating between them and a handsome cut of veal when ...Enter the butcher, eyes popping with fury..."

(This actually reminds me of when my dog somehow stole a line of sausages and
Aug 21, 2015 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories, logos
This is the book Marley could have written if he were as educated as "Boy." Boy (Mayle's real life dog) tells it all from his abusive puppyhood to his rescue by "madame," his adapting to the house, learning the rules, and his observations on those weird humans. (The chapters on "The Joy of Balls" and "By Their Smell Shall You Know Them" are particularly funny.) With illustrations by Edward Koren, this book is just delightful.
May 27, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who wouldn't want to read about a dog living a dog's life in Provence, France? If you are familiar with "A Year in Provence" -I listened to it through books on tape-you will, (no doubt) have a fond remberance of the writer's ability to transport you into the humorously charming world of France and all its foibles.
This book is written through the dog's voice and it works out perfect.
Feb 19, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a funny little book on how dogs see humans of course, but also is the story of a French dog, so also pokes fun at the Franco stereotypes in a gentle way. Delightful cartoons illustrate throughout. A quick and sweet little book for observers of dogs.
Jul 06, 2012 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most fabulous and entertaining books I'v ever read in my life. Not your typical Peter Mayle book really. It is written entirely from the dog's point-of-view. So good...a fun, fabulous, easy read. :)
May 26, 2014 Roberta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yes a book from a dog's point of view on human behavior. I know its supposed to be whimsical and witty but it fell flat for me. There is no "story" and wasn't all that enlightening.
Oct 16, 2016 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must be exactly how dogs view the world around them! If you have a dog in your life, you really must read this book to gain a better understanding of why they do the things they do. I smiled the whole time I was reading.
Oct 04, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good light read. A good read if you want a cute and entertaining read that doesnt require too much thought. Great for a pet owner!
Sep 03, 2016 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book more stars if it was an option. I've read this book more than once and I love it each time!
Eileen Garner
Sep 24, 2016 Eileen Garner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique dog's viewpoint on humans. Really funny.
Ned Frederick
Clever. Maybe too clever. Normally I love books written from the canine perspective like The Art of Racing in the Rain. But I had a hard time accepting that any dog could be capable of harboring snarky or self-righteous sentiments, not to mention feigning occasional haughtiness. After all, the book is not titled, A Cat's Life, is it? Other disappointments: I would have expected the first-dog narrator to be even more deeply obsessive about the rich, layered olfactory world that a dog would percei ...more
Deborah Lunceford
Just re-read this book. Loved it all over again!
Aug 16, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little book I read during a rainy weekend camping. Light hearted, pleasant read.
Tyson Heck
Apr 28, 2016 Tyson Heck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book from the perspective of the family dog is not a novel concept. It's been done often enough where one would read the back cover to get an idea of what it's about and their first reaction would not be "well, I've never seen this before". So, distinguishing yourself from the pack is the name of the game, I would assume. Unless, of course, you're ok with no distinction from said pack, in which case, don't worry about it.

Luckily for us, Peter Mayle had a genuine concern for standing out, and s
Aug 11, 2016 Misha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
some chapters are better than others, all in all a lovely quick read for language and pets connoisseurs
Kelly Dang
IN MY OPINION, this book could have been better written. Now I'm not saying that this book was terrible, it's just that every time there was an opening for an emotional scene, the word choice of the author has killed the mood. The concept of this book has so much potential. I don't think I've ever read anything similar. Basically, it's about the many lives of one dog and that dog's point of view. I find this funny because many situations, I knew what was happening as a human. But seeing how a do ...more
Jan 25, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and well-written
author's note: following the current autobio custom adopted by politicians in their memoirs, I have adjusted the truth wherever it might reflect unfavorably on myself. is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short
27..I took that as a hint that my services were no longer required at Chateau Despair.
53..The chicken, you see, is that happy combination of sport and nourishment
57..a life of privilege--luxe et volupte'--stretched befor
Candace Burton
If you have a dog, or have lived with one for any period of time, you will find this book laugh out loud funny--particularly if, as is often the case around here, you tend to anthropomorphize your canine friend because dangit, their facial expressions are just so erudite. It's short, and very much in keeping with Mayle's memoir writings elsewhere. I am personally a much greater fan of his autobio's than his fiction, insofar as I think he's better at recording than creating. Left to his own devic ...more
Aug 08, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With such high praise by reviewers as well as friends I came into this book with high expectations. I should have known better than to trust these expectations as I have been disappointed before when expecting much more than is delivered. Unfortunately when expectations are so high there is no where to go but down. I certainly found the book witty and will always be a fan of dry humor but did not find it "wickedly funny" or "laugh out loud" funny or to be the pick me up as promised. Instead, I s ...more
Jul 17, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Courtney for giving me this book. I just got into it today and am half-way through. For anyone who has ever owned or loved a dog, this is a great read! It's from a dog's perspective with segments such as the following:

From the chapter, "The Art of Communication" - too cute and true...

"Anyway, I may not talk, but I like to think that I am one of the great communicators. I have a manly and distinctive bark, an eloquent sniff, a squeal of horror that serves to discourage any attempts at g
Oct 29, 2010 Pimpawan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember Mayle's A Year in Provence: it was circulated among my class mates when I was 17. And at that time everything related to France made me want to read them all by some obscure reason. Oh I also remember that I didn't like his book.

Anyhow, I bought this book last Monday (15th feb) at half price. It might not be that bad and it's just half price after all. Guess what happened next? It happened that on that particular day Note Udom had his talk at Siam Paragon and the traffic was like stic
who do you think was the best owner for the dog? 1 3 Jun 07, 2013 11:33AM
  • My Dog Skip
  • Good Owners, Great Dogs
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Pack of Two: The Intricate Bond Between People and Dogs
  • Bad Dogs Have More Fun: Selected Writings on Family, Animals, and Life from The Philadelphia Inquirer
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • Prague in Black and Gold: Scenes from the Life of a European City
  • Selfish Pigs
  • Little Bird
  • From Finland With Love / Suomesta, rakkaudella
  • How to Talk to Your Dog
Peter Mayle (born June 14, 1939 in Brighton) is a British author famous for his series of books detailing life in Provence, France. He spent fifteen years in advertising before leaving the business in 1975 to write educational books, including a series on sex education for children and young people. In 1989, A Year in Provence was published and became an international bestseller. His books have be ...more
More about Peter Mayle...