Start by marking “The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion” as Want to Read:
The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion

The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion

There is arguably no more critical and pressing topic than the relation of science and religion in the modern world. Science has given us the methods for discovering truth, while religion remains the single greatest force for generating meaning. Yet the two are seen as mutually exclusive, with wrenching consequences for humanity. In The Marriage of Sense and Soul, one of t ...more
Published August 3rd 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage of Sense and Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage of Sense and Soul

Clif Hostetler
Jan 30, 2008 Clif Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This book explores the common foundations of scientific and religious world views. People of a philosophic bent will appreciate the book's attempt find harmony where there appears to be none. The book also encourages both sides to lighten up a little and be open to new ways of spiritual knowledge and validation.

Corrie Campbell
Mar 13, 2013 Corrie Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysticism
Wilber's book is inspirational and graceful (albeit in a rather academic prose) in it's ability to point out the integration of science and religion. The "truce" between the two is a hard sell for doubters and with good reason - the majority of the population (of religious and scientific believers) will reject their respective duties to acknowledge each other -- and their own beliefs -- as true, but partial. Traditional religious believers will have to drop the strict dogma that contradicts prov ...more
Mardel Fehrenbach
Fascinating book that has really helped me pull together many threads of thought and understanding that were mulling about in my brain. I can see how Wilber may be controversial, and I can see how some of his points will offend some as well. But reading this book changes everything. Working through this book helps me bring coherence and consistency to ideas that were just beginning to coalesce.
Jrobertus
stimulated a lot of discussion in our uu book group. wilber is smart and well read. his attempt to unite religion and science is doomed though, because he wants each to back off on its core believes. a lit of irritating new age language was annoying.
Vera
Dec 01, 2012 Vera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Excellent discussion of changing views of life. How can science and religion get together? The historical background he gives was very enlightening.
Susan
Aug 16, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now one of my favorite books. Going to look to see what others of his I can try now.
John
Aug 03, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Ken Wilber wants to bridge the rift between science and spirituality, and uses an ingenious two-pronged strategy.

First, he establishes that both science and spirituality rely on a model of nested hierarchies--The Great Chain of Being--to describe their respective realities. This shared hierarchical model, Wilber argues, gives the two apparently dissociated realms a common theoretical ground.

Second, and more problematic, Wilber tries to reestablish the validity of interior modes of knowing withi
Gerardo
May 24, 2016 Gerardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(In Spanish below)

So I'm giving 5 stars to this book for three reasons:

1) for the mind-bending arguments presenting here for integrating science and religion (which made me highlight lines and lines and lines of text, along with scribbling summaries, contradictions and "omg" on quite a number of pages),

2) because of its readability, for the book unfolds almost as a novel: you get the problem, then the presentation of the plausible solutions and then, finally, grandly, the solution and,

3) becaus
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Wilbur has got to be one of the smartest authors that I've come across. While a good portion of this book was a bit over my head, I did come away with a good understanding of his major point. It is important for modern society and science to accept the reality of spirituality and this will not happen if science continues to categorize anything without hard evidence to support it as nonsence.
PRINCESS
Dec 12, 2016 PRINCESS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book starts the following phrase:
There is nothing that will cure the senses but the soul, and nothing that will cure the soul but the senses.
#Oscar_Wilde
Mr. Wilber said it very nicely: “There is arguably no more important and pressing topic than the relation of science and religion in the modern world.” He explains that science has given methods for discovering the truth, while the religion is the force that generates meaning.
“The aim of this book is to suggest how we might begin to think a
Dean C. Moore
May 20, 2013 Dean C. Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Integrating science and mysticism into an integral world view is no small undertaking. Intellectual lightweights need not apply. In fact, this is perhaps the first attempt to reconcile the two venues I've read that really works. I would say that is in no small part due to the author's phenomenal grasp of history, science, numerous branches of mysticism, and much more. Wilber is perhaps the greatest living proponent to date of his own methods in fact, and remains one of the most sublime integral ...more
John Holliday
Jul 20, 2008 John Holliday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book can help scientific people understand religious people and vice–versa. Wilber shows where we have common ground. Both sides can benefit.
Science can gain a better grasp of things it lacks: groundings for the Good and the Beautiful based on the “Great nest of being.” Religion can gain more confidence in its own values by using the “three strands of all valid knowing.”
I appreciate Wilber’s clear thinking on these difficult issues.
Avrel Seale
Mar 18, 2008 Avrel Seale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ken Wilber is an "integral philosopher" who does an amazing job of synthesizing and reconciling the seen and unseen worlds in a conversational style. He has been a huge influence on both my thinking and my writing. This book is devastating to materialists, and opened up huge vistas of new thought to me. Though Wilber is a Zen Buddhist, in fact, I believe this book helped pave the way for my eventual embrace of the Baha'i Faith. Deep integration is the common denominator.
Bianca
Aug 14, 2008 Bianca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very clear explanation, in my opinion, of why we can believe in God, why science doesn't negate it. I would imagine that a scientist could read this book and be swayed or at least consider Wilber's perspective, he's such a rigorous scientist himself. Anyway, I'm a big fan of his and, I have to admit, I'm the kind of person who periodically has to reprove God to myself.
Justin
Sep 26, 2007 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way Ken Wilber just breaks it all down for the reader.

You cannot pick up this book and read it in installements, it must be taken in large doses, which is really hard to do because it's pretty complex.

I have tried three times to finish it, and still haven't. But I beleive him.
Daniel Miles
Jan 02, 2014 Daniel Miles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Strawman after ridiculous, unrealistic strawman fall before Wilbur's dull, self-referential blabbering. Science says there's no such thing as love (Kindle location 1024)? I suspect that no scientist has ever said that.
Michael
May 09, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-finished
A good review of Wilber if its been a while. I'd say a little droll for an introduction, though. A good introduction to post-modernism, scientism, and the great chain of being. Its also short for KW, which is another plus.
Gudjon Bergmann
Mar 20, 2015 Gudjon Bergmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilber offers the only viable solution to heal the divide between science and religion. This book is a must read!
Katherine
Sep 18, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not even close to smart enough for this stuff. Let me get back to you after I read it five more times or possibly find the right drugs.
Chad
Mar 06, 2007 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes a pretty broad definition on what religion is. Most westerners won't agree with the religion aspects of this book. Very good historical philosophy.
Jake
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.
Susan
Apr 25, 2010 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing but Wilber's mental masturbation. There is nothing I hate more than a self-righteous writer that never has a point, or an end, and just floats around in their own juices.
Steven Monrad
Jan 24, 2012 Steven Monrad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, religion
Concise history of philosophy as regards his topic, very detailed in organization and loves new terminology to explain his reasoning. Reasonably persuasive and not too difficult.
Kifflie
Apr 20, 2010 Kifflie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is a great introduction to Ken Wilber's work. He is a great "marriage counselor" for science and religion. If you're struggling to reconcile the two, start here.
Brainwise
Nov 05, 2012 Brainwise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book, one that will require a re-read for clarity. However, I must point out that the audible format has a number of problems which I will detail later.
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Chris Fisher
Chris Fisher rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
David
David rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2014
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2009
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • Sri Aurobindo, Or The Adventure Of Consciousness
  • Beyond the Post-Modern Mind: The Place of Meaning in a Global Civilization
  • The Equinox: Volume III, Number 10
  • Brainchildren
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • Thought as a System
  • The Future of the Body: Explorations into the Further Evolution of Human Nature
  • Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind
  • Christianity and Evolution
  • The Key to the True Kabbalah
  • The Great Chain of Being: A Study of the History of an Idea
  • Zen Action/Zen Person
  • The Soul of the Night: An Astronomical Pilgrimage
22075
Ken Wilber is the most widely translated academic writer in America, with 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, and is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive. Wilber is an internationally acknowledged leader and the preeminent scholar of the Integral stage of human development, which continues to gather momentum around the world. Hi ...more
More about Ken Wilber...

“where evidence is erased, narcissism flourishes. The demand for evidence—or validity claims—which has always anchored genuine and progressive science, simply means that one’s own ego cannot impose on the universe a view of reality that finds no support from the universe itself. The validity claims and evidence are the ways in which we attune ourselves to the Kosmos. The validity claims force us to confront reality; they curb our egoic fantasies and self-centered ways; they demand evidence from the rest of the Kosmos; they force us outside of ourselves! They are the checks and balances in the Kosmic Constitution.” 0 likes
“The cure for the disaster of modernity is to address the dissociation, not attempt to erase the differentiation!” 0 likes