Start by marking “The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion” as Want to Read:
The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion

The Marriage of Sense and Soul: Integrating Science and Religion

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  21 reviews
There is arguably no more critical and pressing topic than the relation of science and religion in the modern world. Science has given us the methods for discovering truth, while religion remains the single greatest force for generating meaning. Yet the two are seen as mutually exclusive, with wrenching consequences for humanity. In The Marriage of Sense and Soul, one of t ...more
Published August 3rd 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage of Sense and Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage of Sense and Soul

Clif Hostetler
This book explores the common foundations of scientific and religious world views. People of a philosophic bent will appreciate the book's attempt find harmony where there appears to be none. The book also encourages both sides to lighten up a little and be open to new ways of spiritual knowledge and validation.

Corrie Campbell
Wilber's book is inspirational and graceful (albeit in a rather academic prose) in it's ability to point out the integration of science and religion. The "truce" between the two is a hard sell for doubters and with good reason - the majority of the population (of religious and scientific believers) will reject their respective duties to acknowledge each other -- and their own beliefs -- as true, but partial. Traditional religious believers will have to drop the strict dogma that contradicts prov ...more
John
Ken Wilber wants to bridge the rift between science and spirituality, and uses an ingenious two-pronged strategy.

First, he establishes that both science and spirituality rely on a model of nested hierarchies--The Great Chain of Being--to describe their respective realities. This shared hierarchical model, Wilber argues, gives the two apparently dissociated realms a common theoretical ground.

Second, and more problematic, Wilber tries to reestablish the validity of interior modes of knowing withi
Mardel Fehrenbach
Fascinating book that has really helped me pull together many threads of thought and understanding that were mulling about in my brain. I can see how Wilber may be controversial, and I can see how some of his points will offend some as well. But reading this book changes everything. Working through this book helps me bring coherence and consistency to ideas that were just beginning to coalesce.
Jrobertus
stimulated a lot of discussion in our uu book group. wilber is smart and well read. his attempt to unite religion and science is doomed though, because he wants each to back off on its core believes. a lit of irritating new age language was annoying.
Vera
Excellent discussion of changing views of life. How can science and religion get together? The historical background he gives was very enlightening.
Dean C. Moore
Integrating science and mysticism into an integral world view is no small undertaking. Intellectual lightweights need not apply. In fact, this is perhaps the first attempt to reconcile the two venues I've read that really works. I would say that is in no small part due to the author's phenomenal grasp of history, science, numerous branches of mysticism, and much more. Wilber is perhaps the greatest living proponent to date of his own methods in fact, and remains one of the most sublime integral ...more
Avrel Seale
Ken Wilber is an "integral philosopher" who does an amazing job of synthesizing and reconciling the seen and unseen worlds in a conversational style. He has been a huge influence on both my thinking and my writing. This book is devastating to materialists, and opened up huge vistas of new thought to me. Though Wilber is a Zen Buddhist, in fact, I believe this book helped pave the way for my eventual embrace of the Baha'i Faith. Deep integration is the common denominator.
John Holliday
I think this book can help scientific people understand religious people and vice–versa. Wilber shows where we have common ground. Both sides can benefit.
Science can gain a better grasp of things it lacks: groundings for the Good and the Beautiful based on the “Great nest of being.” Religion can gain more confidence in its own values by using the “three strands of all valid knowing.”
I appreciate Wilber’s clear thinking on these difficult issues.
Bianca
A very clear explanation, in my opinion, of why we can believe in God, why science doesn't negate it. I would imagine that a scientist could read this book and be swayed or at least consider Wilber's perspective, he's such a rigorous scientist himself. Anyway, I'm a big fan of his and, I have to admit, I'm the kind of person who periodically has to reprove God to myself.
Justin
I like the way Ken Wilber just breaks it all down for the reader.

You cannot pick up this book and read it in installements, it must be taken in large doses, which is really hard to do because it's pretty complex.

I have tried three times to finish it, and still haven't. But I beleive him.
Michael
A good review of Wilber if its been a while. I'd say a little droll for an introduction, though. A good introduction to post-modernism, scientism, and the great chain of being. Its also short for KW, which is another plus.
Daniel Miles
Strawman after ridiculous, unrealistic strawman fall before Wilbur's dull, self-referential blabbering. Science says there's no such thing as love (Kindle location 1024)? I suspect that no scientist has ever said that.
Susan
This book was nothing but Wilber's mental masturbation. There is nothing I hate more than a self-righteous writer that never has a point, or an end, and just floats around in their own juices.
Brainwise
This is an excellent book, one that will require a re-read for clarity. However, I must point out that the audible format has a number of problems which I will detail later.
Jake
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.
Steven Monrad
Concise history of philosophy as regards his topic, very detailed in organization and loves new terminology to explain his reasoning. Reasonably persuasive and not too difficult.
Kifflie
This is a great introduction to Ken Wilber's work. He is a great "marriage counselor" for science and religion. If you're struggling to reconcile the two, start here.
Chad
This book takes a pretty broad definition on what religion is. Most westerners won't agree with the religion aspects of this book. Very good historical philosophy.
Katherine
I am not even close to smart enough for this stuff. Let me get back to you after I read it five more times or possibly find the right drugs.
Hilary
Fascinatingly good read!
Fetesco
Fetesco marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Kim Tomas
Kim Tomas is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Isabelle Garvey
Isabelle Garvey marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change
  • Brainchildren
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • The Equinox: Volume III, Number 10
  • The Future of the Body
  • Thought as a System
  • Selected Writings
  • The Adventure of Self-Discovery: Dimensions of Consciousness and New Perspectives in Psychotherapy and Inner Exploration (Suny Series in Transpersonal and Humanistic Psychology)
  • Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind
  • The Great Chain of Being: A Study of the History of an Idea
  • Forgotten Truth: The Common Vision of the World's Religions
  • Talks with Ramana Maharshi: On Realizing Abiding Peace and Happiness
  • Darwin and the Beagle
  • The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
22075
Ken Wilber is the most widely translated academic writer in America, with 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, and is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive. Wilber is an internationally acknowledged leader and the preeminent scholar of the Integral stage of human development, which continues to gather momentum around the world. Hi ...more
More about Ken Wilber...
A Brief History of Everything Grace & Grit: Spirituality & Healing in the Life & Death of Treya Killam Wilber No Boundary: Eastern and Western Approaches to Personal Growth Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit, Psychology, Therapy A Theory of Everything: An Integral Vision for Business, Politics, Science & Spirituality