Start by marking “Baby Farm Animals” as Want to Read:
Baby Farm Animals

Baby Farm Animals (Little Golden Books)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,489 ratings  ·  40 reviews
No one has illustrated animals with as much warmth, humor, and realism as Garth Williams. This classic–full of piglets, kittens, calves, and bunnies–is one of his best. Simple, humorous text identifies each fuzzy, furry, or feathery farm animal capering about the farm. This longtime favorite has been reissued for a new generation of kids, who will “pet” the animals on each ...more
Published August 31st 2011 by Golden Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Farm Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Farm Animals

Jennifer Bollinger
Rate: 3

Review: the book baby animals is a book that is suitable for young children. This book teaches the children how baby animals survive in the wild by themselves. This book also tells how animals survive on their own, how they get food, and survive with other animals. The illustrations in this book help get the children focused in on the book because they are just great illustrations that represent the animals.

content Statements:
1. Animals eat grass.
2. Where farm animals live.
3. There are m
Laura Metts

This book can be used to teach names and sounds of farm animals. This book has great illustrations. This book is easy for children to read and understand. Great way to introduce young children to farm animals.

1. Baby sheep are called a lamb.
2.Baby cats are call kittens.
3. Baby ducks are call ducklings.

I would place this book in my science area and in dramatic play area.

Megan
When Sara reads books to Hazel, she likes to just say her stream of consciousness instead of the words on the pages. No need with this book -- the author seems to have dictated his stream of consciousness already.
Dominick
Pretty much exactly as advertised: each page features a baby animal, or in some instances, several baby animals (e.g. a litter of kittens), that one might find on a farm (okay, the guinea pigs may be a bit of a stretch). No narrative, just images and a few simple statements about each animal in very basic prose. It's a book designed for very young readers, written and illustrated by the inimitable Garth Williams--just the image on th ecover was enough to make it clear he was the artist, never mi ...more
Elizabeth K.
Dec 21, 2011 Elizabeth K. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: NYPL
Shelves: 2011-lucy
I love the classic illustrations in this book (we have the board book version), I remember them from when I was a kid. Lu at 10 months likes the pictures of the animals, although she isn't particularly engaged in listening to me read about them.

It does make me ponder the fascination we, as a culture, have with farm animals and babies. It's an idea of farms that is from the 1940s at best -- a modern working farm isn't going to be anything like this. But there are still so many farm-themed baby to
Abby
A nonfiction book that teaches farm animal facts and baby names (piglet, foal, kitten, etc). The illustrations are adorable.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
Nice bedtime story with educational information as well.
H.L. Stephens
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
heltones
This is a very mindnumbing read, even for a child's book. However, my kid loves it (at 14 months). He'll dig through a pile of books to grab it and open it to the page with the donkey and carrot and point to the donkey over and over and over. He loves the picture and probably what the words 'donkey' and 'carrot' sound like. The illustrations are nice, and I've found the book is much more palatable to me if I make up a song for each page and sing that to my son instead of the text that came with ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "Generations of children have loved the realistic yet whimsical lambs, ponies, and kittens in the Little Golden Books edition of Baby Farm Animals. This Golden classic, celebrating springtime on the farm, is now a board book . . . a perfect first book for baby."

My Review: Another great classic! I love the illustrations. It will be great to teach Munchkin about farm animals, especially since we live in a more urban area and he won't have access to the things I did while growing up.
Beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams who illustrated the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.
Brittany Bean
This book is about many different animals. It tells what the baby of that animal is called, for example a baby cow is called a calf. It tells about what the animals do, what they eat and where they live. This is a great way for children to learn about animals. There any many activities that could be done after this book. You could have the children make a scene and place what animals would be seen there. This book would be great in the classroom when learning about animals.
Finley Neal I
Jul 14, 2011 Finley Neal I rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
A lovely little book filled with delightful illustrations of baby farm animals explaining their names and activities. I found it to be an enjoyable read for a child and a quick educational lesson as well. Adapted from a larger version of the book, I still enjoyed it and felt it was of quality, not rushed and short-changed as some adaptations are. Recommended for young children.
Katherine
I actaully don't remember reading this one, but I know I have at least once in a fog of putting the boys to bed. Joey likes it pretty well. He likes the idea of baby animals and the fact that it is his very own Little Golden book. But it has no plot (not that a two-year-old requires a plot) and cannot compare to the magic of Sailor Dog or the appeal of Curious George.
Robert
I wasn't wild about the text of this book. It is inconsistent. It begins by telling us baby cats are kittens. Then it talks about rabbits, but doesn't name baby rabbits or donkeys. Then it is back to naming the babies (puppies, etc.). Eh.

The illustrations are by Garth Williams, who I believe is the first illustrator I ever took note of.
Samantha Penrose
May 07, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2-4 year olds
Shelves: kids-books
Adorable illustrations.
Learn the names and habits of baby animals.
Includes a lamb, kittens, a baby donkey, ducklings, chicks, piglets, puppies, goat kids, cygnets (swans if you didnt know), goslings, a foal, a baby shetland pony, and a calf.
laurenpie
Delightful and sweet nursery book with adorable illustrations.

Do I love this Little Golden Book to this extent due to some shallow-buried toddler-memory of my own? Maybe, but it sure is sweet!
Rosanna
Perhaps too many words per page for the attention span of a 23 monther, but I am sure we'll be reading this many times. It's a great way to explain baby animals and the sounds some of them make.
Peacegal
Adorable little illustrations. It would be nice if most baby farm animals still lived in bucolic surroundings like this, and actually got to do the things the book talks about them liking to do.
Valerie
This is my 7-1/2-month-old daughter's favorite book. We have to read it to her daily. She loves the illustrations and gets excited when she sees it. We especially love baby donkey.
Dolly
Oct 16, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens
Cute book that introduces the babies of various farm animals. The narrative is short and the illustrations have an old fashioned charm. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Kami
Really cute illustrations with fun facts about several animals. My little girl loved it! Great book for animal lovers.
I am NOT an animal person but even I couldn't help but be charmed by Garth Williams sweet depictions of baby animals.
Deana Pittman
Abbi thought this one was ok, but she said it wasn't a REAL story. Apparently the plot was lacking.
Sheila Read
this book shows kids what kind of farm animals there is (cows, bunnies, chickens & many other things).
Lindsey Rogers
Good for introducing a farm unit.
K-2
Vocabulary for baby animals example lamb for baby sheep :)
Rida
Very interesting I never knew what a baby swan was called until this book
Dara
I love all the animals. I really like the puppies.
  • Home for a Bunny
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book)
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • My First Counting Book (Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Bunny Book
  • Tootle
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • Santa's Toy Shop (Little Golden Book)
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • Pinocchio
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • I Am a Bunny
Generations of children picture their favorite fictional characters as drawn by Garth Williams. Thus the unforgettable dapper mouse, Stuart Little, or the kindhearted spider, Charlotte and her pig friend, Wilbur. And many other animals (bears, dogs, kittens, crickets) fantastic creatures (elves, fairies) and children and grown-ups in books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, George Selden, Charlotte Zolotow, ...more
More about Garth Williams...
Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book) The Rabbits' Wedding Baby's First Book Three Bedtime Stories The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies