Start by marking “Baby Farm Animals” as Want to Read:
Baby Farm Animals

Baby Farm Animals

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,455 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
No one has illustrated animals with as much warmth, humor, and realism as Garth Williams. This classic–full of piglets, kittens, calves, and bunnies–is one of his best. Simple, humorous text identifies each fuzzy, furry, or feathery farm animal capering about the farm. This longtime favorite has been reissued for a new generation of kids, who will “pet” the animals on each ...more
Published August 31st 2011 by Golden Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Farm Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Farm Animals

Robert
Dec 27, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 2-0, beetle, own
I wasn't wild about the text of this book. It is inconsistent. It begins by telling us baby cats are kittens. Then it talks about rabbits, but doesn't name baby rabbits or donkeys. Then it is back to naming the babies (puppies, etc.). Eh.

The illustrations are by Garth Williams, who I believe is the first illustrator I ever took note of.
Heather
May 16, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Hussey
Antoinette Evans
This classic book has been embraced by generations of children and young readers alike. Baby Farm Animals is a great book for introducing the names and words associated with animals for young children. The realistic illustrations bring wonderment and imagination for young readers as they turn each page to find a new animal. Garth Williams's Baby Farm Animals is an excellent choice for reading at home to very young children. The board book edition makes it easy for young readers to interact with ...more
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Jennifer Bollinger
Rate: 3

Review: the book baby animals is a book that is suitable for young children. This book teaches the children how baby animals survive in the wild by themselves. This book also tells how animals survive on their own, how they get food, and survive with other animals. The illustrations in this book help get the children focused in on the book because they are just great illustrations that represent the animals.

content Statements:
1. Animals eat grass.
2. Where farm animals live.
3. There are m
Deana Pittman
Abbi thought this one was ok, but she said it wasn't a REAL story. Apparently the plot was lacking.
Laura Metts
Mar 29, 2014 Laura Metts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, nonfiction

This book can be used to teach names and sounds of farm animals. This book has great illustrations. This book is easy for children to read and understand. Great way to introduce young children to farm animals.

1. Baby sheep are called a lamb.
2.Baby cats are call kittens.
3. Baby ducks are call ducklings.

I would place this book in my science area and in dramatic play area.

Becky B
Introduces the baby animals on the farm and gives little facts about each one.

Cataloged a new edition of this today for elementary library and realized this was a childhood staple at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I'd forgotten about it till I saw the cover and flipped through the pages. I remember loving the kittens and puppy pages as a child and always thought the little goats looked so silly.
Megan
Mar 29, 2014 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hazel-s-books
When Sara reads books to Hazel, she likes to just say her stream of consciousness instead of the words on the pages. No need with this book -- the author seems to have dictated his stream of consciousness already.
Dominick
Dec 31, 2013 Dominick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much exactly as advertised: each page features a baby animal, or in some instances, several baby animals (e.g. a litter of kittens), that one might find on a farm (okay, the guinea pigs may be a bit of a stretch). No narrative, just images and a few simple statements about each animal in very basic prose. It's a book designed for very young readers, written and illustrated by the inimitable Garth Williams--just the image on th ecover was enough to make it clear he was the artist, never mi ...more
Jay Marcus
Dec 21, 2014 Jay Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little kid book

My two year old liked it for a bedtime story. He loved the pictures of the animals. I remember Golden books from when I was little.
Elizabeth K.
Dec 21, 2011 Elizabeth K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: NYPL
Shelves: 2011-lucy
I love the classic illustrations in this book (we have the board book version), I remember them from when I was a kid. Lu at 10 months likes the pictures of the animals, although she isn't particularly engaged in listening to me read about them.

It does make me ponder the fascination we, as a culture, have with farm animals and babies. It's an idea of farms that is from the 1940s at best -- a modern working farm isn't going to be anything like this. But there are still so many farm-themed baby to
Sri
Buku lucu tentang anak-anak binatang yang lucu-lucu. Dilengkapi dengan informasi nama khusus (jika ada) dan sifat masing-masing jenisnya.
Abby
A nonfiction book that teaches farm animal facts and baby names (piglet, foal, kitten, etc). The illustrations are adorable.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
Nice bedtime story with educational information as well.
H.L. Stephens
Sep 04, 2014 H.L. Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
heltones
This is a very mindnumbing read, even for a child's book. However, my kid loves it (at 14 months). He'll dig through a pile of books to grab it and open it to the page with the donkey and carrot and point to the donkey over and over and over. He loves the picture and probably what the words 'donkey' and 'carrot' sound like. The illustrations are nice, and I've found the book is much more palatable to me if I make up a song for each page and sing that to my son instead of the text that came with ...more
Angie
Jan 09, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Generations of children have loved the realistic yet whimsical lambs, ponies, and kittens in the Little Golden Books edition of Baby Farm Animals. This Golden classic, celebrating springtime on the farm, is now a board book . . . a perfect first book for baby."

My Review: Another great classic! I love the illustrations. It will be great to teach Munchkin about farm animals, especially since we live in a more urban area and he won't have access to the things I did while growing up.
Jan 28, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams who illustrated the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.
Brittany Bean
Sep 30, 2009 Brittany Bean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about many different animals. It tells what the baby of that animal is called, for example a baby cow is called a calf. It tells about what the animals do, what they eat and where they live. This is a great way for children to learn about animals. There any many activities that could be done after this book. You could have the children make a scene and place what animals would be seen there. This book would be great in the classroom when learning about animals.
Tara Calaby
Sep 14, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, animals
Yes, I read this when I was way too old for it. But baby animals.
Finley Neal I
Jul 14, 2011 Finley Neal I rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
A lovely little book filled with delightful illustrations of baby farm animals explaining their names and activities. I found it to be an enjoyable read for a child and a quick educational lesson as well. Adapted from a larger version of the book, I still enjoyed it and felt it was of quality, not rushed and short-changed as some adaptations are. Recommended for young children.
Katherine
I actaully don't remember reading this one, but I know I have at least once in a fog of putting the boys to bed. Joey likes it pretty well. He likes the idea of baby animals and the fact that it is his very own Little Golden book. But it has no plot (not that a two-year-old requires a plot) and cannot compare to the magic of Sailor Dog or the appeal of Curious George.
Samantha Penrose
May 07, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2-4 year olds
Shelves: kids-books
Adorable illustrations.
Learn the names and habits of baby animals.
Includes a lamb, kittens, a baby donkey, ducklings, chicks, piglets, puppies, goat kids, cygnets (swans if you didnt know), goslings, a foal, a baby shetland pony, and a calf.
laurenpie
Sep 26, 2013 laurenpie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Delightful and sweet nursery book with adorable illustrations.

Do I love this Little Golden Book to this extent due to some shallow-buried toddler-memory of my own? Maybe, but it sure is sweet!
Rosanna
Apr 01, 2012 Rosanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps too many words per page for the attention span of a 23 monther, but I am sure we'll be reading this many times. It's a great way to explain baby animals and the sounds some of them make.
Peacegal
May 08, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Adorable little illustrations. It would be nice if most baby farm animals still lived in bucolic surroundings like this, and actually got to do the things the book talks about them liking to do.
R.L.
May 12, 2015 R.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter's favorite book for me to read to her when she was little. She has her own daughter now and we take turns reading it to her. The drawing is precious. Love the donkey best!
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • Tootle (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • My First Counting Book
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • Pinocchio
Generations of children picture their favorite fictional characters as drawn by Garth Williams. Thus the unforgettable dapper mouse, Stuart Little, or the kindhearted spider, Charlotte and her pig friend, Wilbur. And many other animals (bears, dogs, kittens, crickets) fantastic creatures (elves, fairies) and children and grown-ups in books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, George Selden, Charlotte Zolotow, ...more
More about Garth Williams...