Raising Girls: Why Girls Are Different--and How to Help Them Grow up Happy and Strong

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Daughters face unique developmental challenges that parents must understand to help their girls mature and thrive in today's world. RAISING GIRLS provides parents with concrete guidelines, delivered in a distilled and easy-to-read style, for approaching their daughters' upbringing. Author, psychologist, and family therapist Gisela Preuschoff contributes her own trials and...more
Published November 23rd 2011 by Celestial Arts

To ask other readers questions about Raising Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Girls

S.K. Munt
Everyone with young daughters should read this-even baby daughters!
Maria
Не е някаква забележителна книга с невиждани до сега откровения. Няма написани лесни стъпки, като за Dummies: прави едно, прави две, после три и резултатът е гарантиран. В крайна сметка децата не са перална машина. Дори да не казва нищо ново, все пак е полезна с напомнянето на основните неща, на които родителите трябва да обръщат внимание. А има и няколко неща, които ми допадат и ме развълнуваха.

Първото е да помогнем на децата си да открият "искрата" си. Това е онова нещо, което ги кара да се чу...more
Cass
I am surprised it has taken me so long to read this book, given that I have enjoyed the education that has come with being a parent. This author fits wholly within my own personal parenting style and philosophies.
Gary Marshall
Maybe it's just me, but I felt that this was a few nuggets of sensible advice padded out to book length. The basic points are smart enough, though.
Jo Bennie
If you are a parent to a girl of any age this is one of the best books I have ever read. My daughter is 9 nearly 10 and beginning to face the power of peer pressure to be whatever society means by being a girl which to my insinct has always been too much too young. Biddulph sees exactly the same trend and he renewed my hope in this book that I can raise a strong young woman who knows her own mind and does not believe what the media say she should be.

The book is divided into three parts

The first...more
Silvia Iskandar
I borrowed this from the library, but it’s the kind of book you want to have for all time reference. So I might buy it, or, borrow it again and again.

I’m actually writing this review so I can have a look later when I need guidance.

One thing that annoyed me was that the book sometimes mentioned researches and didn’t give a footnote about the research. But at the back, in Author’s notes, all were listed, so I felt safe to trust the book. In fact, I think the writer/editor wanted to make this book...more
Amanda Foxon-hill
I just didn't feel it with this book. It's nice enough but this comment at the end of chapter 12 along the lines of 'how great would it be for your daughter to turn around and say I am what a am because of my mother' turned my stomach. It's not that I don't love my mum or hope that my daughters continue to love and respect me but I want them to become their own natural selves and value their own efforts at achieving that. I felt the book was a bit shallow really especially when compared to what...more
Rebecca
As soon as I knew Steve Biddulph had published this book, I was keen to get a copy, as I've enjoyed some of his other writings on parenting. As a mother of an almost 3 year old girl, I really enjoyed it. I've asked my husband to read it - and I"m sure we'll be re-reading parts of it over the many years of parenting we have ahead. I wish ALL parents of girls would read it and really think about some of the messages it contains.l
Heath Henwood
Raising Girls
How to Help Your Daughter Grow Up Happy, Healthy, and Strong
Steve Biddulph
Published by:Ten Speed Press

I have always been a fan of Steve Biddulph’s very practical books for parents. This one is no different.

The book examines the five stages of girlhood, from birth to preparing for adulthood. It goes on to discuss how to navigate through risk areas for girls. From bodies, weight and food, alcohol and drugs, bullying, appearance and dealing with the cyber networks.

The third part of t...more
Sheri
I received this book as a giveaway from a Goodreads author. I entered to help my daughter with my two granddaughters and didn't realize how hard girls have it in this decade and into their future. Most of the chapters in this non-fiction book have summaries at the end with "tips in a nutshell." This is a book full of advice especially for raising girls. Written by a family psychologist from down under. I was unaware that there were 5 stages to girlhood and would have liked this information when...more
Jeana Marie
Not happy. Maybe I expected too much? Felt like I was just reading my science and health book back in primary.
Francesca Suters
It's a rare occasion that I find myself roaming around the non-fiction section of my local library - I'm definitely more of a fiction reader. But a few weeks back, I was looking for something a bit different to read - something which would expand my knowledge of ... something.

When I saw this book on the shelf, it jumped out at me (well not literally - books don't just jump off shelves, you know that, right?). As you know, it's called Raising Girls and seeing as I have three of them, I thought it...more
Emma
I find it quite hard to review non-fiction books. Particularly those offering advice, since its extremely hard to say how good the advice is until you've put it into practice. For me to give this a totally accurate rating I'd have to get back to you in 18-20 years once my daughter has grown up and I've either used or disregarded the contents of this book.

What I can say however, is this has a lot of interesting and thought-provoking information specific to raising girls in current, Western socie...more
Devious Lover
This book has just ruined my life! I hate it. My mom has the habit to read it and make instantaneous relations with my real life. This guy just has to drone about how girls are absorbed in twitter, what decisions they make in their lives and blah blah blah. I mean, come on, just because he doesn't live our lives and is grown, doesn't make him an expert in all the field and the minds of a girl. Its all bullshit!
Ginger
This is great. I feel enlightened and feel like I've gained a lot of useful information. I enjoyed reading about the different stages that girls go through and especially liked the chapters on "girls and their moms" and "girls and their dads". I feel like this will help me with both of my girls and the Young Women that I work with at church.
Wilhemina
I find this book to be very informative with current information about how to be a better parent. It is an absolutely must read for parents who would like to improve their relationships with their children (sons and daughters). A lot of the basic principles like how to communicate well with your children will work with sons and daughters. It also helps me understand what had gone wrong with my relationship with my own parents. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more...more
Abbey
An informative read, most parts common sense, but also some thought-provoking ideas. A good parenting manual to help Mums and Dads of daughters, to feel like they are on the right track.
Ivaylo
Да, писана е от мъж;
Да, става дума за отглеждането на момичета;
Да, едва ли който и да е мъж знае тайните на "да бъдеш жена"

... ама е страхотно подредена и отговаря на моите въпроси и тревоги!

Бих препоръчал книгата не само на татковци и майки - тя е подходяща и за чичовци, големи сестри, лели, баби.... Ха! Няма да спирам тук, защото книгата не е само за отглеждане на малки момиченца - бих я препоръчал на млади жени, които искат да научат повече за себе си. И освен това е подходяща за мъже, които...more
Cassie
Very quick read that hits on the big themes (albeit briefly) that you will find in much of the literature. Great someone needing a starting point...
Catherine
A good book but I was hoping for a bit more from it. Not much new in it that I hadn't heard before.
Alison Murray
With four daughters this was an invaluable read! (If somewhat aspirational)
Nomad
An enjoyable easy read which i found reaffirming and reassuring. There are no big revelations and it doesn't cover anything that I haven't come across in other parenting books, however I liked the style of writing and it is a book you can dip into at the different stages of your daughter's life.
Pam
Absolutely love this book! Recommend it to everyone raising girls of any age. Some scary stuff in there but it's inspirational, thought-provoking reading. This is one that I definitely won't be selling on but plan to reread every couple of years.
Zeta Koutsandrea
Easy to read, reinforces things we already know and gives insight into what's to come!
Emily Roberts
Very interesting, particularly on the teenage years (which concerns me most right now). Good ideas on how to manage the technology that we just didn't have at that age, without being too reactionary and forbidding...
Jasmine Berry
Such a great book, very informative. It did freak me out slightly as I have a five year old daughter, but great to be prepared for what she might face as she gets older, and more importantly how to deal with it.
"Your daughter is going to turn into you. . .If you can be your best self as a mother, then she will get the best start."

Terrifying. Wonderful. Helpful.
Richard Slater
this book has given me plenty to think about, I hope and pray that I can take the lessons to heart and be the father that my daughter deserves.
Bridget
Steve Biddulph is well known for his raising boys book, but thought this was worth a read - it had a couple of interesting points.
Melissa Gillespie
I really enjoyed this book. Steve Biddulph had a good take on what ir's like to have a daufhter, and I loved his writing style.
  • How Are We to Live?: Ethics in an Age of Self-Interest
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • The Thomas Sowell Reader
  • The People Smuggler: The True Story Of Ali Al Jenabi, The 'Oskar Schindler Of Asia'
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts are Bad for Business
  • What You're Really Meant to Do
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • The Honest Toddler: A Child's Guide to Parenting
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article �Leadership That Gets Results,� by Daniel Goleman)
  • The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests Are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves
  • The Solution Revolution: How Business, Government, and Social Enterprises Are Teaming Up to Solve Society's Toughest Problems
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • The Undefeated Mind: On the Science of Constructing an Indestructible Self
  • Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success
  • The School Revolution: A New Answer for Our Broken Education System
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Serious Creativity: Using The Power Of Lateral Thinking To Create New Ideas
Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men The Secret of Happy Children: Why Children Behave the Way They Do--and What You Can Do to Help Them to Be Optimistic, Loving, Capable, and H Manhood More Secrets of Happy Children: Embrace Your Power as a Parent--and Help Your Children be Confident, Positive, Well-Adjusted and Happy Raising Babies: Should Under 3s Go To Nursery?

“Гневът също е един от защитните ни механизми. Ако се използва правилно, гневът не се изразява във викове, удряне на хора или обиждане, а в силата да не допускате да се разпореждат с вас. Ако дъщеря ви различава сигналите на тялото си - повишаване на температурата, напрягане на мускулите, стискане на челюстта или намръщено изражение, - значи знае: "Карат ме да върша нещо, което не искам" или "Тези хора се държат злобно, няма да допусна да постъпват така с мен".
Най-бързият и най-добър начин да използвате гнева е да го вербализирате. Научете дъщеря си да казва: "Това не ми харесва" силно, с изразителен поглед и високо вдигната брадичка; "Остави ме на мира" или просто да си тръгне, като не сваля поглед от човека, който я е обидил или наранил.
Упражнете това с нея, научете я да изглежда и да звучи категорично. Ако приятел я е ядосал, може да каже: "Няма да го направя" или "Не, няма" по-любезно, но уверено и ако се наложи да повтори: "Казах какво изпитвам". Вие, разбира се, също може да покажете модел на подобно поведение и тя ще го имитира, ако се наложи.”
0 likes
“Светът Е тъжно мястои децата могат да приемат това, стига да ги оставим да изживеят чуствата си, докато стоим до тях и им изпращаме сигнала "Да, но не е нужно да се справяш сам".” 0 likes