Start by marking “Blue Willow” as Want to Read:
Blue Willow

Blue Willow

Back in the small town of her childhood, Lily MacKenzie rekindles old flames with Artemas Colebrook, a boyhood friend and a family enemy. ...more
Published November 16th 2011 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Willow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Willow

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This is my very first book I read of Ms. Smith. It was a free book I received from the Northwest Club when I was traveling full time and had a membership to the club. I picked it up because it was nice and thick and I ran out of reading material. Since I was just starting in my career, I had little money and books were a luxury I couldn't afford too often.

I loved this book. This is one of the first books which demonstrated angst so well. Up until this book, most of my books were happy cheesy ro
Lyuda
Closer to 2.5 stars
If I had to describe this book using all the qualitative words that came to mind, it would be this: fascinatingly absorbing, compulsively readable, melodramatic, soap opera-ish, angsty, contemporary but didn’t feel like it, strangely claustrophobic despite many characters in it, competently written.
The story spans thirty years and features two main protagonists Artemas Colebrook and Lily MacKenzie and numerous members of their respective families. The powerful and one-time wea
Katie
I started out loving this book, for those who love The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred Blue Willow is similar. Artemas (yes Artemas was the hero's name) is a young boy visiting his grandmother's estate when Mrs. Mackenzie, the home's pregnant housekeeper goes into labor. No one else including the woman's husband is around so young Artemas helps Mrs. Mackenzie deliver her baby. When the baby is born Artemas is enamored by her and asks the infant's mother if they could name her Lily.

Artemas an
Emily
Nov 10, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blue Willow could be categorized as a romance novel, but it’s so much more than that. Artemas Colebrook and Lily MacKenzie meet when 7-year-old Artemas is the only available person to assist Mrs. MacKenzie with Lily’s birth. He gives her a name and a promise: that they will always be meant for each other. Unfortunately, life gets in the way as Artemas is tasked with restoring his family’s reputation and fortune, which his cruel and useless parents have squandered away.
The first chapter of the b
Lizzy
Jul 04, 2016 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O livro é basicamente dividido em três partes e devo dizer que amei 2/3 da história. A escrita é magistral, os personagens marcantes e intensos, o romance principal recai sobre o leitor como um vendaval, forte, invencível, a cada obstáculo nasce a certeza do final feliz, mesmo que o tortuoso caminho seja incerto. No entanto, se eu tivesse o poder de entrar em um livro e modificá-lo, certamente excluiria sem piedade o último terço que me pareceu desnecessário e excessivo. Eu concluiria com o epíl ...more
Laura James
Feb 28, 2011 Laura James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but I found my opinion of it declining with each passing page. Ultimately I didn't find the relationship between the main characters to be very interesting or compelling, and neither one of them was very likable. By the end I was bored...
Melissa
Feb 29, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book isone of my all time favs. I have read it some many times that I have lost count. I have lent it to all my friends. My book was lent out so much it fell apart and I had to get an other one. It was one of the first books I downlaoded on to my new ereader. I think of this book as a comfy pair of sneakers. You just feel like you are home when you slip into this book. It is a sadand happy story all at the same time. I have picturedx this book made into a movie.
Nova
Jul 13, 2014 Nova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very long story about two people from two family who already connected with history since their great great great grandfather/mother time through tragedy.

Little Artemas Colebrook only feel happy when he spent his summer at his grandmother mansion The Blue Willow, because there he always feel love from The Mackenzies. Mama Mackenzie always tell fascinating story about The Mackenzies and Colebrooks. And when little Artemas accidentally help Mama Mackenzie delivering and named her daughter,
Elizabeth Crook
Apr 23, 2014 Elizabeth Crook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this is a child and again to my daughter last year when she was eleven. It's not one of those books that just grabs you--instead it takes hold very gently. But it doesn't let go. This book as a nice way of reminding kids that children of other generations, who sometimes lived more difficult lives, were nevertheless a whole lot like them.
Chanpreet
Mar 13, 2016 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book stands the test of time. I re-read this yesterday and oh the feelings! I fell in love with Artemas and Lily all over again. This saga is timeless! If you haven't read it yet, you really must!

Full review to come!
Carol
May 01, 2016 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lua
Sep 01, 2013 Lua rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
sorry, I couldn't even finish the book, it was too boring for me.
Shari Stertz
Sep 16, 2016 Shari Stertz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-southern
I love Deborah Smith. This is one of my favorites from the 90's...just re-read it. Lots of drama. Some of the plot action is a bit clichéd...Lily's life, at times, gets on my nerves just because of the clichéd action.

SPOILER
ALERT

An example would be how her parents are killed in a car accident because of a drunk driver. So, at times, the plot is a bit clichéd and over-dramatic.

Smith has definitely fine-tuned her writing skills in the past twenty years, so you may enjoy some of her newer works mor
Nath
Apr 01, 2012 Nath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone in a mood for a tear jerker
5/5 (A)

Review: All right, another not-so-great synopsis, but forget about it, the book was GREAT!! (As if you didn't figure it out by the grade :P anyway, I cried sooo much while reading this book, my eyes hurt!

The Characters - I really liked Lily and Artemas... although Lily seemed a bit too perfect... You know, too understanding, too forgiving, too good... but at the same time, she was a fascinating character. I mean, she's such a strong character and her strength is built on so many tragedies
Edna
Can you say emotionally draining? The angst, twists, turns, betrayals, tragedies (extremely tragic right off the bat in the first chapter)...I could go on and on. I honestly don't know what to rate this because there were so many things going on.

First off, Deb Smith is a great writer and provides many details to illustrate the story. There are a lot of intriguing and dynamic characters. Lily and Artemas are the text book picture of star-crossed lovers. There were so many obstacles to overcome,
Marlene
Aug 09, 2016 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The family is controlled by an older sibling and there are many secrets that cause much distress later in their lives to a point of turning friends into enemies following a tragedy that took lives and where to place the blame. There is a lifelong romance with many ups and downs until things are resolved late in the book.
Cari Virkus
Jul 11, 2015 Cari Virkus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it ...more
Desideria
Jun 28, 2015 Desideria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tania Martins
Mais uma história de amor como a autora já nos habituou mas com a agravante desta história ser uma desgraça só até ao final, são precisos 20 anos para os protagonistas ficarem juntos e mesmo quando ficam tem de lutar contra o mundo inteiro para serem felizes...

Os restantes protagonistas do livro são ou traumatizados com o passado ou passados dos carretos, achei que de todos os livros que já li dela o mais deprimente...
Michele
Jul 10, 2011 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chanced upon this novel at a used book sale and could not put it down until I finished. I read it in bed, on the bus, I was even caught hiding in a corner at work finishing a chapter. I fell in love with Lily and Artemis and their story. This is a warm,deeply emotional story of love and family. Be prepared to laugh out loud and shed a tear or two as well.
Susannah
Sep 28, 2014 Susannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
It did get better, but only just. I got the sense that the author was working through some of her own angers in the writing of this book. It was published in the early 90s; part of the problem is that it didn't really age very well with time. I probably would have liked it better 20 years ago.
Carmen
May 29, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First romance I ever read about 15yrs ago and I still own the book and reread it every so often. Normally I don't care for these "epic" novels that span years and incorporate a lot of soap opera type drama but this one won me over. The two main characters are very likeable and understandable.
Julie Oxendine
Dec 15, 2015 Julie Oxendine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A keeper for sure

I'm not sure I can remember a book that made me cry more than this one. This book is heartbreaking and heartwarming and everything in between. I loved the H and h and how the road to each other was never easy but oh so worth it.
Lauren
One of the first "grown up" books I ever read. It was a romance book that I snuck from my grandmother and read in bits before I found it again when I was older and read the entire way through. Not a really unique romance book, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.
Jodi Langston
Oct 05, 2010 Jodi Langston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was one of my favorite books that I have read over and over. I guess I'm a fan and writer of angst and this book sure has it. It was longer than I normally read but it didn't seem to matter. I enjoyed the characters so much I had to see how it ended!
SBC
Aug 18, 2016 SBC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just adore Deborah Smith's writing. She has such wonderful characters in such vivid settings. Her romance packs a punch and is never soppy, unconvincing, or overdone. Am enjoying re-reading my way through my Smith collection!
Lisa
Dec 14, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love angst and this book is nothing but angst. A beautifully tragic, and sweet love story. The heroine is one of my favorites in any book I've read. She's strong and loyal to a fault and so is the hero. Deserves 4 sighs.
Krishma
Sep 16, 2015 Krishma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krishma-fav
supeb book...Classic book that remains with us for a long time..We'll keep on thinking aboutLily and Artemas..
Ldlimes
Aug 20, 2011 Ldlimes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He loved her from the day she born. Its a hard book to put down,My heart pounded so hard from start to end.
Patricia Caviglia
Soap opera-ish in a good way. The events are unpredictable. The characters are well developed. I loved it.
  • Billy Bob Walker Got Married
  • The Midnight Work
  • My Spy (SEAL and Code Name, #3)
  • The View From Here (Eureka, Colorado, #1)
  • The President's Daughter
  • Mr. Right Goes Wrong
  • Our Secret Love (Love Stories For Young Adults, #26)
  • Forged Of Shadows (Marked Souls #2)
  • Some Girls Do (Love Stories For Young Adults, #11)
  • Princess Charming (Men from Special Branch, #2)
  • Last Will
  • The Prodigal Daughter
  • Freudian Slip
  • Prince of Lost Places
  • Love Changes Everything (Love Stories For Young Adults, #6)
  • Neck & Neck (Kentucky Derby, #3)
  • The Return of Jonah Gray

Bestselling Author
Co-founder, co-publisher
Vice-president, Editor in Chief
BelleBooks, Memphis, TN

Deborah Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of A Place to Call Home, and the No. 1 Kindle Bestseller The Crossroads Cafe, A Gentle Rain and other acclaimed romantic novels portraying life and love in the modern Appalachian South. A native Georg
More about Deborah Smith...