Start by marking “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.1)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium: The Graphic Novels #1.1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,166 ratings  ·  206 reviews

DC Comics/Vertigo will publish the official graphic novel adaptation of Stieg Larsson's "Millennium Trilogy," starting in Fall 2012 with THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, the international publishing phenomenon. Each book in the "Millennium Trilogy" will be adapted in two hardcover graphic novel volumes.
Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families disappea

Hardcover, 1st edition, 146 pages
Published November 13th 2012 by Vertigo (first published November 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFrostbite by Richelle MeadNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
My Favorite Graphic Novels
57th out of 171 books — 221 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanBatwoman by Greg RuckaFray by Joss WhedonRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanCaptain Marvel, Vol. 1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick
Kickass women in superhero comics
110th out of 270 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Gally
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Vol. 1 Review by Gally Lines (2/5 stars)

LestISmiteThee.wordpress.com

For the record, I own the entire Millennium book trilogy and the Swedish movie trilogy. It's one of my favorite series and Lisbeth is hands down an all-time favorite character. My review treats this graphic novel as an adaptation of an original work, not an original or stand-alone work because that's not what it is.

That being said, while I do enjoy quite a few graphic novels, I don't usually
Avery
I am a very big fan of Stieg Larsson's original series, as well as the films. I was very excited to read the graphic novel adaptation, even though it seemed a bit pointless. To me, releasing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in such a form threatened to deter people from reading the actual novel and simply picking up the comic version. Indeed, skimming through the reviews thus far, many have either only seen the films, or are completely new and this is their introduction to the series.
What a sham
Jillyn
Jul 14, 2014 Jillyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Lisbeth
Recommended to Jillyn by: DC Comics
I won this book through Goodreads Firstreads.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Vol. 1 is a graphic novel adaptation of Stieg Larsson's bestselling book by the same title. It follows a murder mystery from decades past with the socially inept computer genuis Lisbeth at center stage. This volume covers half of that novel, with a second volume to be released in the future.

---

+I have to say, this book is beautiful, from cover to cover. The character that sticks out as consistently awesome looking is t
Paul Nelson
Ok I've read the millennium trilogy, seen the Swedish versions of all three films including the extended cuts and the Hollywood version, so I was interested to see how the graphic novel adaptation was handled.
Lisbeth Salander is probably one of the most intriguing heroines ever put down on paper, socially inept, a moody genius, hard as nails and prone to the odd spot of violence when threatened.

The graphic novel relies heavily on the fact that the reader is intimately familiar with the storylin
Ana Mardoll
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Graphic Novel) / B009DNVXX8

I'm a big fan of the Millennium Trilogy, having read the novels several times, listened to the audiobook narrated by Simon Vance, and own the original movies with Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace. (I have not, for the record, seen the American remakes.) I selected this graphic novel at NetGalley with a great deal of excitement, fully expecting to enjoy it, but... well, I won't say I'm disappointed exactly, but I'm not enthralled.

This in
Pat
Dec 01, 2012 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I thought Denise Mina did a very good job of adapting the novel 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' into a graphic novel. The artistry is fantastic and the story is very readable. I don't know when Vol 2 will be released to finish the story but hopefully it will be soon.
Licha
Graphic format of the novel. I'm not sure this would be easy to follow if you don't already have the background of the story and the characters. I feel like I would have been lost. Bad way to also get to know Lisbeth Salander, one of the best characters to have ever been born to the literary world.

The graphics for the rape scene were very hard to get past. It made me mad, sad, protective all over again. It is truly one of the most powerful and haunting scenes I've ever had to read. Seeing it in
Jen
I liked this book, but I didn't love it; it was really just okay. It was somewhat hard for me to follow and understand due to a lack of captions on some of the illustrations. And then others of the illustrations were either too "close in" or too busy for me to fully make sense of them. I was disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more, since the novel form of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was excellent. So far I'm two for two as far as not enjoying graphic novels goes. Perhaps I just am not the s ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I really really enjoyed this book.

While it was a little hard for me to follow (the names are all foreign and the movie was really over my head) I really really enjoyed all the artwork. I mean WOW!!! It reminded me of James O'Barr. Super loved!!!

I don't recommend this for the kiddies (of course). And the older teens? Well, that's up to you. There is the rape scene, 2 bits where Mikael is in bed with a chicky poo, and one where Lisbeth's woman is showing off her chest. (my husband was not impresse
Mersini
So it seems I have a huge, huge weakness of Lisbeth Salander. But do you blame me? The graphic novel adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo brings her to life, and I found myself looking forward to the parts with her in it more than Mikael's story. However, that could be because I know what happens and Lisbeth is much more visually appealing than Mikael.

The only downside of this is that it's split into two volumes. The ending of volume 1 seems very abrupt and a little jarring. The rest of
Emily
I own a copy given as a Christmas present from my girlfriend, Jillyn.

I love The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books, the movie, and now the graphic novel. As one with ADHD it's sometimes very hard to follow just text or just moving pictures, there's so much to concentrate on and it doesn't always go at a slow enough pace. But, with the graphic novel, I was able to spend as much time on each page or cell as I needed to grasp the concept of the story. The art was beautiful, I loved it, but I wasn't
Yzobelle
A beautiful representation of one of my favorite series! I think the drawings give justice to Lisbeth, Mikael (he does look Swedish!) and even to Mr. Bjurman (that pig!).

As expected though, this volume will leave you suspended and you cannot not but buy the second volume! Although I was expecting that it would be unfinished, I didn't realize that the suspension was taken literally by the creators of this book. When I reached the last page, the last dialogue box, the sentence was literally left
Christine
I wasn't sure this would be adaptable into graphic novel form, but Denise Mina did a great job, I thought. I even learned something about the beginning of the book that I missed from previously reading the actual book because it wasn't bogged down in 60 pages of court proceedings.

I liked that it wasn't as graphic as I was expecting it to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty graphic, but it's not as bad as the movies.

I liked how they characterized Mikael and Lisbeth and how they didn't make
Ian Wood

Madara
Because I love The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo I was a bit disappointed. Novel was slower and kept me on the edge, graphic novel moved way too fast and was all over the place. The art was great tho.
Melissa Railey
Wow, I'm impressed. This graphic novel did a wonderful job of bringing the first book to life and, in truth, it read better than the actual book. It moved faster, was grittier, more compelling. I loved it. My only hesitation in recommending it is that a person who hasn't read the book might not understand what is going on in the story as well as a person who has read the book. It's quite brief. But it is a wonderful adaptation.
Joel Neff
I'm always a little leery of overly adapted stories. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has, counting this one, been adapted three times over the past few years, so I was even more cautious than usual before picking up this graphic adaptation.

The art and production values are gorgeous and the story choices (what to use from the novel, what to cut) are well made thoughtfully made. However, the book suffers from the reader already being too familiar with the book. What should be shocking or interesti
Shawn Birss
Liannis
I've wanted to get into this series for quite some time. I tried once and found it a bit slow in the beginning, so I lost interest. When I saw that there was a graphic novel out, I picked it up from the library. The story's a lot better than I thought it would be. It was very easy to read, beautifully illustrated, and makes me eager to pickup the book to learn more in depth about what's been outlined so far.

That being said, there is some rather graphic abuse, so if you're sensitive to that, be w
Trisha
This my third time reading about a movie/book turned into a graphic novel. I love experiencing the evolution of the stories. In this particular novel, the story is dark. There is big corporations, crime, and abuse. The full page spreads of Lisbeth are badass. I'd like to hang them on my wall. You really get a feel for what's going on in the story. And for people who haven't read the books, that's a good thing since the book can be complicated with all the information. The scenery landscapes are ...more
Elia
Damn this was good. It cuts out all the slow bits from the original book without losing any of the key points in the story, and adds excellent visuals as well.
Lisa
I'm not sure how well it would translate if you didn't read the book, but I got to the end and was a little sad for it to be over...
Kate
Great artwork! A few changes from the book, but Lisbeth is still kick ass and Blomkvist is still racking up the honeys!
Jon
Good but I definitely prefer the book!
Kelly
Not nearly as engrossing as the books...

(Trigger warning for discussions of rape.)

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy gets the graphic novel treatment in this adaptation penned by Denise Mina. The first of two volumes (each book is to span two graphic novel collections) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1 covers the first book in the series. A murder mystery slash rape revenge story, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not for the faint of heart: there's quite a bit of violence (including viol
Jason (RawBlurb)
I want to say I was “disappointed” but I wasn’t really, I do not know that I had any real reaction to this. The thing is that there was nothing here that really stood out as either above par or under par, it just existed.

With an international bestseller, the posthumous glory of the author has to top out someplace. This graphic novel was not that pinnacle, in fact, it might be a sign of the end. After world wide book translation, successful foreign films, unneeded US films, a lackluster graphic n
Frances
I really liked the imagery in this first volume. the rows and rows of pressed flowers, the house sitting alone against the stark white landscape, Lisbeth's tattooed, pierced, and surly visage were all spot-on and did just as well visually as words could have done. My only complaint is my preview copy was so short ;-) The sad simple truth is that it isn't going to be the exact same as the Swedish movies, or even the books. I doubt the English translations are adequate enough to be considered exac ...more
Tien
I absolutely adored the novel (despite the one truly violent despicable act which had me flinching). There was so much in the book that you wonder how you can really condense that in a graphic novel. Indeed, this graphic novel is only the first one and contained only half of the novel.

Lisbeth is absolutely scary looking yet also vulnerable. She’s definitely one you would champion for despite her looks. Bjurman is just a disgusting pig and was depicted in such revolting exactness. Mikael is not a
Ashley
Ugh. Bad characterizations for most of the characters, all of the characters with the exception of maybe Lisbeth look they've stepped out of a 90's era coloring book, and the dialogue (excepting the parts taken verbatim from the book) is AWFUL. But worst of all, Denise Mina has tamed this story to mediocrity. I'm all in favor of changing the story to fit the medium where it's necessary, but Mina seems to have made changes just to make things easier for herself. For example:
• Holger Palmgren does
  • Sharaz-De
  • Superman: Grounded, Vol. 1
  • Oz: Road to Oz
  • The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus
  • Emma
  • Le Requiem des abysses
  • Alex + Ada #6
  • Corpse Party: Blood Covered Vol. 1
Denise Mina was born in Glasgow in 1966. Because of her father's job as an Engineer, the family followed the north sea oil boom of the seventies around Europe
She left school at sixteen and did a number of poorly paid jobs, including working in a meat factory, as a bar maid, kitchen porter and cook.
Eventually she settled in auxiliary nursing for geriatric and terminal care patients.
At twenty one sh
More about Denise Mina...

Millennium: The Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.2)
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #2)
Garnethill (Garnethill #1) The End of the Wasp Season (Alex Morrow, #2) Still Midnight (Alex Morrow #1) Field of Blood (Paddy Meehan, #1) Hellblazer: Empathy is the Enemy