Start by marking “Make Magic! Do Good!” as Want to Read:
Make Magic! Do Good!

Make Magic! Do Good!

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  25 reviews
From self-publishing wunderkind Dallas Clayton comes a book of illustrated poems full of wisdom,
wonder, and whimsy.

A boy with a beard tries to stay six forever. A frightful monster lives a million miles away, but is equally scared of you. A magic rope hangs from the sky, next to a sign saying "Give me a try." In this brightly illustrated selection of playful, often provoc
Published November 13th 2012 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Make Magic! Do Good!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Magic! Do Good!

Cheryl Dickemper
I love this motivational book of poetry for kids! The poems are clever and funny, asking readers to look at life a little differently and approach experiences with a positive outlook. This will be good addition to character education programs, and the light humor makes this fun to read. Several of the short poems would make great inspiration posters for classroom walls...
Paul  Hankins
A six-year-old with a beard and no worries. . .

A narrator who contemplates the repercussions of eating a blue apple. . .

And wonderful verse to make us all think of how we choose to treat our day:

The effort is the same,
you know,
thinking good
as thinking bad,
saying nice
instead of mean,
making happy,
making sad. . .

From the author/illustrator of AN AWESOME BOOK comes this November 2012 release from Candlewick. I got to see the ARC on NetGalley, but I cannot wait to see this in full-color when it rele
Doug Cornelius
Dallas Clayton launched his writing/illustrating career with An Awesome Book! Now he is back with a bigger and more awesome book: Make Magic! Do Good! His new book is a collection of poems and illustrations.

An Awesome Book was a single poem joyfully illustrated by Clayton. Make Magic! Do Good! is full of dozens of his children’s poems with a single illustration. This turns out to be a great way for my kids to pick which poems they want to hear. As a I flip through the book they get drawn to the
Caitlin Hoffer
I would be lying if I said this book didn't make me tear up. As I'm sitting here outlining a presentation about advocacy and children's programming that basically boils down to 'children deserve better' I'm very much hit by the exuberance and honesty in this. I would also be lying if I said I didn't plan to email Dallas Clayton just to tell him so.
Barbara
Filled with 49 poems and illustrations that are "two part positive vives and three parts watercolor rainbow sprinkles," this book can't help but make young readers smile as they ponder the possibilities of positive attitudes and trying something new. Many of the verses remind readers that how you approach a task can make all the difference in the world. My favorite poem is "Box Cat" in which someone addresses a cat in a box and makes fun of it for hiding in the box. The cat reminds the person th ...more
Kate Newton
I have three children under the age of 5, so when I won this book in a contest I was so excited. Even more so after reading the reviews.

We have had the book for about a week now and it is by far my kids' favorite. My favorite is "The Artist".

I would definitely recommend this book to parents of children of any age, really, and for adults as well. It is a fun book with good lessons. Perfect for bedtime reading!

Thanks for a wonderful book. Please keep 'em coming!

Kim
I appreciate the fact that some of this was lost with a colorless A.R.C. but the poems for the most part, are so so. There are a few exceptions but if you are going to do poetry for kids and you are not Silverstein or a Prelusky, then you really need to step up your game. I think that there may be a reason that the author is often self published.....
Kellee
Reviewed at:

After reading Dallas Clayton's An Awesome Book, I knew that I wanted to read more of his work. He had a way of preaching goodness in a way that wasn't overly bearing but still definitely got the point across. So, when I saw that Candlewick had published an anthology of his poems with his illustrations I was very excited and I was not disappointed. Make Magic is filled with fun yet thought provoking poems (some rhyme, some free verse) accompani
Laura DeLuca
Make Magic! Do Good! is an adorable book filled with fun poems and artwork. Each page is a new story. There are poems about a boy with a beard, caterpillars getting ready to become butterflies, and a shark with no teeth to name just a few. There are ninety five pages of poems and each one has its own unique illustration to go along with it. Each poem is its own stand alone tale, so you can read them one at a time or back to back. You could even open to one random page for a quick, funny poem. Th ...more
Margaret
Oct 10, 2014 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Candlewick Press
I have truly enjoyed Dallas Clayton's picture books about Love and there is a truly inspirational poetry book too in Make Magic! Do Good!. The illustrations are uniquely Dallas Clayton, but the absolute treasure in his books is the message. Positive inspiration for children everywhere. The poems are silly and fun, full of rhyme just the way I enjoy and provide plenty of smiles.

This is the same size as the new Greenwillow Jack Prelutsky re-releases and looks beautiful on the shelf next to them.
Erin
I received this book for free as a Goodreads First Read. There are a few really good poems in this book, things that are light and silly and I would love for kids to read. Most of them tend to be the shorter poems in this collection, perhaps because they don't have the chance to get complicated or develop an agenda. I understand that the point of some of these poems is to present a lesson for children, but in some cases ("The Boy With the Beard", "The Monster", "Mr. Pennymaker") I feel that the ...more
Joellen Mccarthy
Loving all of Clayton's work. The love affair started with A is for Awesome and am finding all of his work to be "must haves". An amazing mentor author for simple yet powerful picture books.
Rebecca
The title poem is wonderful. Some of these fall flat, but most are sweet and motivational, with colorful, fuzzy illustrations.
Lenore Webb
Make Magic! Do Good! by Dallas Clayton is the best book of poetry for children that I have seen since I was a young girl. I love not only the positive messages from the poems inside. But the imaginative artwork that passes the message on visually is so vivid. The dust jacket is also a poster on the inside. I want to hang it up myself on the wall. I wish I had words to explain the joy this book brings about. One evening I sat and read it aloud to Dear Hubby. It brought so many laughs, ooohhhhs an ...more
Andd Becker
This book of poems for children has delightful messages and charming illustrations.
The book is four steps away from the excellence that classroom teachers and librarians expect to find in a children's book. Improvements needed: change "laid" to "lay" in the throwing stones poem; change "lay" (3 times) to "lie" (3 times) in the cat in box poem; change "sung" (5 times) to "sang" (5 times) in the birthday poem; put a contents page into the book.
I received this book free through the goodreads FIRST
Breanne Kanegawa
I love the drawings in this book. They are so vibrant. The drawing style is different from a lot of illustrators. He is making the art look textured. I also love the message behind this book.It is telling kids to do their best and be who they want to be. Everything they do should be for themselves and what they think is right.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Loved a collection of different poems..

My favorite is

You won't know all the answers
you won't get everything right
but once you learn you don't have to know'em
you'll sleep the best at night p. 21

somewhat comforting me whispering " it is okay not to do well"..
Sandy Brehl
A mixed bag of rhyming poems, all laced with fun and upbeat messages, but some more polished than others. Kids will enjoy the bright illustrations and the rhythmic pace. Messages are quite overt, but constructive. Sometimes kids like straightforward content.
Shanetia
I enjoyed reading this book. There are so many delightful poems, many of which I want to post in my classroom and share with friends. This book will certainly make you smile in a warm and fuzzy kind of way.
A nice book of poetry for kids. Motivational and funny, reminiscent of Shel Silverstein. The illustrations are just as magical as the poems, and add a dream-like quality to every page.
Liz
Liked it! Think kids would like many of the poems. Some I wasn't quite so sure about... Most have a pretty positive message to share!
Donalyn
Inconsistent, but joyful, poetry collection that will inspire kids to accept themselves and use their talents to help the world.
Jennifer Woodford
An uplifting book of pems for children. My daughter loved it.
Tiffany
GOOD NOVEL FOR ALL AGES!!!
Lil Alexander
Lil Alexander marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Nourhan
Nourhan marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Hannah Talecki
Hannah Talecki marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • World Rat Day: Poems About Real Holidays You've Never Heard Of
  • Pug: And Other Animal Poems
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • The Other Side of Town
  • Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • Step Gently Out
  • One Love
  • Cat Talk
  • All Kinds of Families!
  • The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest—and Most Surprising—Animals on Earth
  • Annie and Helen
  • Peanut and Fifi Have A Ball
  • The Chicken Problem
  • Brief Thief
  • Lemonade: and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word
Dallas Clayton is a poet and an artist. An Awesome Book is his first children's book.
More about Dallas Clayton...
An Awesome Book! An Awesome Book of Thanks An Awesome Book of Love! Lily the Unicorn A is for Awesome