Start by marking “The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)

The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  10,923 ratings  ·  1,489 reviews
Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together.

To break the spell, Ananna and the assassin must complete
Paperback, 1st Edition, 298 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 by Strange Chemistry (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin's Curse, please sign up.

Olympia The first book is heavy on the action adventure, so there is a fair bit of cursing and blood, so I would say mid- to late teens. While the second book…moreThe first book is heavy on the action adventure, so there is a fair bit of cursing and blood, so I would say mid- to late teens. While the second book is a slower pace and more about relationships (still a fair bit of cursing and gore though, [mentions of cannibalism]) So I think probably older teens would be able enjoy the second book more.(less)
Graceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
22nd out of 640 books — 2,759 voters
The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose ClarkeThe Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose ClarkeThe Holders by Julianna ScottStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenPantomime by Laura Lam
Strange Chemistry Titles
1st out of 37 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Noelle
This is an accurate portrayal of me after reading The Assassin's Curse:

In fact. You know, what? Hit it:

Ananna is a pirate, born and raised
and on the high seas is where she spends her days.
Sword fightin', riggin', stealing your loot.
Handy with a lie and a knife in her boot.
All she wants is to travel to distant lands,
but her mom and pop are plotting marriage plans.
She'll take adventure over a relationship,
so on the big day gives her fiance the slip.
She has no idea just what trouble she's in,
Zuleeza
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

Easily, the BEST BOOK of 2012 I've read so far.

First, I would like to offer a shitload of virtual Nutella for mah girls,
Ebony
and Lisbeth as a sign of gratitute. Without their gushing reviews, I wouldn't go about requesting this from Netgalley.

I think I may have found my favourite book of 2012 so far.

No, I'm not kitten you.

My favourite shelf had been so loneleyh! SO LONELEYH! No books, and I mean no books had ever made it into that list after Dau
oceana
I don't think there are words to describe my severe disappointment after finishing THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE.

I began the book with high expectations after individually going through the glowing reviews my co-blogger friends wrote. I was ridiculously excited for THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE - but not only did it let me down... I disliked it heartily in general.

I, along with a majority of the readers, found the idea of the plot to be interesting and original - a strong, independent pirate-chick on a quest to c
Maureen
3.5/5 stars
I really really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one!
Jillian -always aspiring-
When I first read the synopsis for Cassandra Rose Clarke's The Assassin's Curse, I was very intrigued. Pirates? Assassins? Magic? Curses? Yes, please! Who wouldn't want to read a novel that seems like what might have happened if someone like Tamora Pierce had written Pirates of the Caribbean? As often as I've been burned by false promises in novel synopses, I need not have worried with this novel: The Assassin's Curse fulfilled its promises and managed to soar above and beyond my expectations.

In
Rachel E. Carter
Ladies and Gentleman, this is how you do fantasy.

description

If you enjoy spunky, defiant protagonists a la Alanna (Song of the Lioness) or Saba (Blood Red Road), or, hell, even Arya Stark, then meet Ananna: the headstrong pirate’s daughter who wants to own her own ship to pillage the coast one day. Umm, who doesn’t?
description

If you enjoy awesome world building (and we are talking the desert, sea, and a magicked island –how many times do you get all three settings in one book?) then you need to Buy. This. Now.

But w
Catie
Do you love Grave Mercy, Blood Red Road, or The Bloody Jack series? Then you need to read this book.

Do you like Grave Mercy, but wish it had more actual murder and a less prim heroine?
Do you like Blood Red Road but wish it had a plot that actually made sense?
Do you like Jacky Faber, but wish she would just grow up already?

Then you definitely need to read this book.

This book is an absolutely entertaining, fun ride that swept me up onto the back of a stolen camel and never let me go. I finished it
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Give this at least 3 chapters...

...okay, maybe 4 chapters...

...come to think of it, go with 5, just to be safe...

3.5 stars. I can't remember where I got hooked, but it took a short amount of time. But when it happened, I was all in. It was sort of like when I read Graceling and felt like the story didn't really start until Katsa and Po hit the road. That's what happened to me with Assassin's Curse. Things start to pick up when Annabanana (uh...or something like that, her name was similar) ge
Katie Stout
This book has been making the rounds much more than I would have thought, considering it's published by a new indie publisher. But honestly, The Assassin's Curse is one of the best debuts I've read all year.

I've been saying for quite a while that what YA needs more of is pirates. There just really aren't that many. And I mean, come on. Who doesn't love a good pirate?

And the pirates in Ms. Clarke's book are epic. Think Pirates of the Caribbean #3, with all the different pirate lords getting toget
Keertana
This, ladies and gentleman, is how you write a spectacular debut novel. Clarke’s first book is a masterful mix of imagination, thrill, suspense, and a subtle, but underlying, romance. Although I do have my own qualms with this book – which I will get to in a little bit – I can’t deny that it kept me entertained, forcing me to devour it all in one sitting. I fell in love with the character interaction and rich world that Clarke had created and I am already eagerly anticipating the sequel of thi ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
3.5
The Assassin’s Curse, Cassandra Rose Clarke’s debut novel, is an exciting and unusual adventure filled with pirates, magic and, of course, assassins. It’s a must read for everyone who’s grown a bit tired of the same ol, formulaic stories. This book could never have a girl in a pretty dress on its cover.

Here’s something I’ve noticed in Clarke’s adult book (The Mad Scientist’s Daughter), and it’s even more pronounced here: she tends to write slow-developing, complicated and subtle romances. So
Janina
I feel like the blurb for this book very much summarises the whole story and is more than a little spoiler-y. I usually don't mind that too much, but if you would like to be surprised, better try to not take a closer look at it. (I just noticed the blurb was changed, so you are now free to read it ;) - and not be spoiled.)

You may not believe it: we have here a book about assassins and pirates that actually includes - hold your breath, hold your breath - real pirates and a real assassin who even
Tamora Pierce
A very unusual fantasy, with a female pirate hero and a brooding assassin male hero. You have to know I loved it because I gave it a quote for the cover!
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
WEEEEEEE I can't wait to continue this!
I love it!
Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Original Review found at: www.awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com

This was a cute, fun, light, adventure with pirates, magic, curses, and of course, assassins.
However the problems I had with this story is it was underdeveloped, I had a hard time getting into the story. I felt that the beginning of the story was fine where the main character Ananna runs away from an arranged marriage and the fact that his family sent assassin's after her to kill her because of it. But after that I was hoping for more, I
Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠

First of all : I've always been a sucker for pirates.

Humm. Nah. Not those ones

Nope.

Hell, yeaaaaah!

*blush* Okay I must confess, I loved the first two too.

Guybrush Threepwood powaaaa!

Oh, well.

Moreover, I have enough emphasized my taste for independent and courageous heroines.

So here's my reaction when I read the summarize : a pirate heroine? A curse? Several tasks to perform? an assassin who wants to kill her?

And as if that were not enough, I read : "The assassins were blood magicians in addi
Ash Wednesday
Mar 30, 2014 Ash Wednesday rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: Buddy Read with Samantha
2.5 STARS
”Well, look who’s on my front porch,” he said, speaking Empire with this odd hissing accent. “A murderer and a cross-dressing pirate.”

I’m still having a hard time figuring out how a book from this author, with this kind of premise, in my go-to genre could have failed me monumentally.

A sassy seventeen year old pirate bride ditches her groom who in turn sends a deadly assassin after her to… well, kill her. By some brilliant turn of events, the pirate bride saves the assassin’s life, bi
Kira
Oct 03, 2014 Kira marked it as to-read
PIIIIIIIRATES!

BRING ME YOUR PIRATES, NOW!
Jasprit
Recently I’ve noticed that the type of books I seem to get the most enjoyment out of as late are fantasy books. Contemporary novels are typically my best friend, I know I can turn to them when I need a quick pick me up and they always deliver through and through. But in the last few weeks’ books such as Throne of Glass, Defiance and Stormdancer, books which at the beginning of the year I never would have considered are ending up as my favourites of 2012. They seem to bring that extra oomph throu ...more
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
This review is Breakdown of a Heroine Style because I just love Ananna that much.

Who is Ananna?
Ananna is the seventeen year old daughter of a pirate captain. She's been raised on a confederation pirate ship, knows her way around the riggings. She's handy with a sword and can find her way out of almost any problem.

Strength of Character
Ananna is kickass in all the best ways. She can defend herself with a sword and knife. She doesn't hesitate to fight off evil. When she decides to learn navigation
B u n n y ♥  | BooksWithBunny
Feb 06, 2015 B u n n y ♥ | BooksWithBunny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan of action & pirates
*3.25 stars*

This book was okay. And okay, sometimes, it's not enough.
It's not that I had high expectations because there isn't that much hype around this duology but still, I was kind of disappointed. I thought I was going to like it more.

The Assassin's Curse is the first book in a duology and it mixes magic with pirates and sea with assassins. I had never read something like this before, so obviously A+ for the original plot.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This book is action-packed from the first page, it was really easy
Regan
A really fun read! The world may not have been explained all that well but the characters were awesome! I love where this story and adventure is going to go!
Mistress Cee
"You’d think they could come up with a curse that didn’t have to drag innocent bystanders into it."

Wrong.

Correction: You’d think they could come up with a curse that didn’t have to drag stupid and boring bystanders into it.

The book itself isn’t boring, but Ananna is such a weak character. Not “tough” weak, but “weak” weak.

She’s completely unlikable and I don’t understand how her brain works. She’s immature, impulsive, careless, insensitive, and short-tempered and she gets upset at the tiniest th
Experiment BL626
The Assassin's Curse (TAC) was a fun read. What a pity that the YA fantasy lacked substance.

Hollow Characters

+++ Ananna

Ananna was feisty, practical, and compassionate but these traits of her were not in good synergy. One example is when she rescued Naji from an asp after his failed attempt to assassinate her. She acted compassionately but how was it practical to save someone who was trying to kill you?

She had no problem, or I should say no hesitancy in stealing, lying, and killing when necessar
Limonessa
3.5 stars.

While her parents are trying to marry her off to another family of the Pirate Confederation, Ananna's got a mind of her own. She won't accept being sold for diplomatic reasons and is ready to forfeit everything for her freedom.
On the run, with no money and only her wedding dress to sell, Ananna becomes the target of one of the most fearsome species to populate this peculiar world; the Jadorr'as, deadly and inescapable assassins, made of shadows and dark magic. They never miss a target.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This is one of those books where I am flip-flopping around my thoughts. On one hand, I LOVE LOVE LOVED the beginning. Ananna totally rocks, and I love the world of pirates. But then, halfway through, my love for this got ruined when Ananna hates this woman almost solely because the woman is attractive. And then I felt the Ananna/Naji thing got forced a bit. And then the book ended.

Still, it's not bad. You got adventure, pirates, fantasy, magic - some really good stuff. And honestly
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Wow - what a beautiful and original cover; I defy anyone to see that and not want to at least peak at the inside novel. I caught sight of this beautiful, evocative cover a few weeks ago on GoodReads and once it had popped up on NetGalley, I knew I had to read it. For once, this is not a case of a beautiful, alluring young adult cover hiding a big ol' mess of plot and characters inside (unlike numerous others I could name that lied to my eyes); this
Nafiza
Can I just say first that I love the cover? Because I really love it. It’s so…lovely. The calligraphy almost seems like Arabic, fitting in with the rest of the elements of the cover. So kudos to whoever designed it.

Okay, moving on to what we are gathered here to talk about. Mainly, the novel. It starts with a runaway bride. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the fact that she leaves it so late in the game to make the run. You know what I mean? She could run away the ni
Denisse
It was a fun and interesting read. Very short with no time to get bored :)

Me gusto mucho la historia porque no trata de ser épica o sumamente inteligente a la fuerza.

Tiene dos buenos personajes principales. Buena interacción entre ellos. Y ademas, la magia se explica de forma sencilla y sutil. También me gusto que fue mas un libro como de aventura. Y que no desperdiciara paginas describiendo mucho.

Tampoco tiene una gran lección ni nada de eso. Es una lectura que no intenta mas que divertir y en
Susana
Sep 26, 2014 Susana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susana by: Isa Lavinia

This was so Much Fun!!
A fast paced romp of an adventure, featuring a fearsome pirate, and a down on his luck assassin, this was pure fun from page one.
When we first meet Ananna, she is a not happy pirate... since she is on the verge of becoming a bride, due to her dearest *parents* idea of forcing her into an arranged marriage!
Parents suck, future in-laws suck, and don't even get her started on the groom...
Luckily for Ananna she is not the type for suffering such fate in silence!
No, s
  • Vessel
  • Blackwood
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Emilie and the Hollow World (Emilie, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Poison
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)
  • Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
5331983
Cassandra Rose Clarke is a speculative fiction writer living amongst the beige stucco and overgrown pecan trees of Houston, Texas. She graduated in 2006 from The University of St. Thomas with a bachelor’s degree in English, and in 2008 she completed her master’s degree in creative writing at The University of Texas at Austin. Both of these degrees have served her surprisingly well.

During the summe
More about Cassandra Rose Clarke...

The Assassin's Curse (2 books)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2) The Mad Scientist's Daughter The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5) The Wizard’s Promise (The Hanna Duology, #1) The Automaton's Treasure (The Assassin's Curse #0.6)

“She moved like water, graceful and soft and lovely. Every part of me wanted to stick out my foot and trip her, just to see her stumble.” 107 likes
“You don't realize how much you miss something till it comes back to you, and then you wonder how you went so long without it.” 75 likes