The Life Of Margaret Laurence

The Life Of Margaret Laurence

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The magnificent and long-awaited biography of the beloved writer who gave us the Manawaka novels, including The Diviners and The Stone Angel.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published February 21st 2012 by Vintage Canada (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Life Of Margaret Laurence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life Of Margaret Laurence

Neil Mudde
Now I am rampant with memory....Each day, so worthless really has a rarity for me lately. I could put it in a vase and admire it,like the first dandelions, and we would forget their weediness and marvel that they were there at all." "The Stone Angel"
James King has allowed us a rare insight into the person of Margaret Laurence. warts and all. What an interesting human being, her gift as she frequently mentions this to her writers who are her aquaintances, she writes bout the content she writes as...more
Alana
Though I remain convinced that the writing is mediocre, the research is thoroughly done, and the subject is certainly fascinating enough. 5 stars for Laurence's fabulous oddity, 4 stars for the thoroughness of the study, and 2 stars for the awkward, bumbling prose.
Maggie
I liked this book very much and thought that it was an excellent look into the life of Margaret Laurence. Having read her novels previously, I was surprised to see how her works of fiction mirrored her actual life. After reading about her final years, I would have been interested to see what her next work would have been.
Newgirl
Had to read, and in some cases re-read all he novels after this, and enjoyed them much, much more.
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Lauren Lancaster
Lauren Lancaster marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Viktorija
Viktorija marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Christina Glendenning
Christina Glendenning marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Nicole Zdanowski
Nicole Zdanowski marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Codk
Codk marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Marjolaine Hébert
Marjolaine Hébert is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James King is the author of four previous novels: Faking (1999), Blue Moon (2000), Transformations (2003), and Pure Inventions (2006). He is also the author of eight works of biography, the subjects of which include William Blake, Margaret Laurence, Jack McClelland, and Farley Mowat. His biography of Herbert Read, The Last Modern, was nominated for the Governor General's Literary Award. James King...more
More about James King...
Virginia Woolf Farley: The Life of Farley Mowat Etienne's Alphabet Inward Journey: The Life of Lawren Harris Blue Moon