Start by marking “Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2

Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2 (Mastering the Art of French Cooking #2)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  3,840 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The sequel to the classicMastering the Art of French Cooking
Here, from Julia Child and Simone Beck, is the sequel to the cooking classic that has inspired a whole American generation to new standards of culinary taste and artistry. On the principle that “mastering any art is a continuing process,” they continued, during the years since the publication of the now-celebrated...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Knopf (first published October 12th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2

Angela
This is not a review on the content which is excellent.

To be very brief here are the nitpicks regarding the specific imprint 9780241956472:

1. The book size is that of a novel (20cm x 13cm). To open it properly and follow a recipe, once would need to crack the spine and force it open at 180 degrees. It does not stay open at any one page without mechanical force holding it there.
2. The paper has the same newspaper feel as a mass paperback. The font is minute. The height of the non-caps letters is...more
Aaron
The second volume of MTAOFC is just as charming, extensive, and invaluable as the first. In fact, I would say I use volume 2 even more than volume 1- perhaps because I am a baker and dessert maker, and this volume (2) covers breads and desserts. I will never forget my first successful attempt at homemade baguettes. (After about 10 minutes of the smell of cooling bread filling the kitchen, I was tempted to rip open a loaf and have at it. Julia advises against that- 2-3 hours of cooling so "the br...more
Marjorie Campbell
I am struggling with the format of this book. I reckon there are some gems of information here but the way the layout is set up is near impossible to follow. Love her prefix to each recipe and the descriptions of what might have gone wrong and techniques for how to succeed - it is how the ingredients and tools for each recipe are set out. Not in a format I am used to and thus I am tempted to write them out for myself in a format that I find useable. I will press on undaunted, however, because I...more
Janis Ian
Say what you will - out-dated, dense, whatever criticism you can offer - Mastering the Art... Vol. 1 & 2 are still the seminal books on the art of French cooking a la haute cuisine. I worked my way through Volume 1 years ago, when I thought my ex-husband (being Portuguese and having lived in France many years) would appreciate it. I stopped doing it for him when he poured Tabasco all over my Beef Bourguignon without tasting it first, but I continued cooking "Julia" for myself.
Matriarchy
Volume 1 has been in my life since I was a child, and I have an early edition in hardcover. I don't like to keep that family heirloom in the kitchen. Heat, moisture, and grease are bad for treasured books. But I recently found both volumes in this Knopf paperback re-issue - at the Goodwill for 25 cents each. Yay! Kitchen-safe volumes - and Volume 2 for the first time.
Lisa
This book seemed to be written for those unfamiliar with cooking and using a kitchen. The recipes seemed so long and daunting until you realized that the author wrote out nearly every detail, including listing a lid for your pot in the ingredients list. The recipes were interesting but didn't get my taste buds watering. Sorry, Julia fans.
Jenny
Jan 16, 2008 Jenny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I can't say I've read it or even cooked anything from it yet, but I just picked up a used copy at a library book sale. Julia's writing is so sweet and funny, often unintentionally, and unlike any cookbooks being published today. Plus, her diplomat husband Paul does all the illustrations! Who can argue with that?
Clra
browsed thru it at the library - the section on baking bread is fantastic - detailed and very useful.
also saw the "beef case" in there - the way they described it as an ingenious dish that will even surprise the diners who have eaten everything - i lol'ed. enjoyed the unexpected wit there.
Megan
Not as amazing as the first one, and I don't feel that this one stood on its own as well, but it's a interesting compliment if you enjoyed the first one. If you're only planning to buy one, get the first. If you get the first and become mildly obsessed with it, this is a solid followup.
Christopher
Much like the first book but even less easier to follow. Again the recipes are quite retro. There is a lot of irrelavent information and again wouldnt be recommending it to the novice cook because it is just too much effort to read and follow.
Monika
Only reason this is minus a star is because it often refers to Volume 1, which I don't have. Yet. (Found a pristine 1st edition of Volume 2 for $6, could not pass it up!)
Heidi
Not much in here that we'd eat on a day to day basis; however, I loved reading Julia's words and learning her techniques. I would love to own the set.
Carrie
This cookbook has stood the test of time, especially with the editing that was done when it was reissued. I have cooked several things from it with success.
Tim
I confess I have several copies of this and vol. 1 in various paperback and hardback form, most secondhand and most well used, need I say more?
Karen B.
On page 117 - two chapters down, now onto Eggs! Who knew it was possible to make your one mayonaise with olive oil. Now I want to try..
Ruth
I got this book mainly for the French Bread recipe which proved quite complicated (twenty pages worth), but found it interesting.
Dottie
Nov 09, 2007 Dottie marked it as own-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-food, own
Volume Two finally came to stand by its mate on my shelf – I’m looking forward to learning from it as I did the first.
Jane
Never used it as much as vol. one, but you should have both if you want to cook with Aunt Julia.
John-Bryan Hopkins
Yet another wonderful book essential for the everyday cook. Has aged very well.
Heath Robinson
Next Julia's going to teach me how to master French bread. Can't wait to experiment.
2bnallegory
Have yet to dwell overmuch in this one, still looking over the first volume.
Christie
Can't wait until I actually have time to try some of the recipes...
Hasanuddin
Memasak adalah seni, penikmatnya adalah pengagum seni memasak :)
Amanda
Sep 19, 2009 Amanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dude! I found this at a used bookstore, first edition, for $7!!
Lori
I'll cook my way through this lovely book the rest of my life.
Hed3rd
a must for everyone who enjoys their kitchen
Catherine Woodman
This is a masterpiece of her time
Liz
More from the Frech classic master.
Jude
  • James Beard's American Cookery
  • The Professional Chef
  • Bouchon
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
  • The River Cottage Meat Book
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

More about Julia Child...
My Life in France Mastering the Art of French Cooking The Way to Cook Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor... Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home