Start by marking “The Lost Highway” as Want to Read:
The Lost Highway

David Adams Richards

The Lost Highway

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  24 reviews
What had happened, from those days until now? And why had it? And how had his life gone? And who was to blame? Or why did he think he had to blame anyone? Certainly he couldn’t even blame Mr. Roach, caught in the same turmoil as everyone believing half-truths in order to blame other people.

These are the forlorn thoughts of Alex Chapman, the tragic anti-hero of David Adams...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Anchor Canada (first published November 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Highway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Highway

McKenzie
“The Lost Highway,” provides the bleak, rural landscape of New Brunswick Maritime as a backdrop for a philosophical examination of character. Where the primary figure, Alex although he is educated well-enough to be a professor of Ethics is faced time and time again by his inability to learn from his mistakes. Alex faces off against his counter self with Leo who is not as dim as Alex had thought. The two of them duel on a lonely, abandoned stretch of highway, both outsiders, desperate and poor....more
Philip
Feb 10, 2014 Philip marked it as aborted  ·  review of another edition
OK I am, probably and hopefully temporarily, aborting reading this very depressing novel at this time because with the equally depressing weather we are having I need something lighter and more cheerful. I noticed that other reviewers have suggested this is not a good book with which to start reading David Adams Richards' books and so far I agree. I Have acquired "Incidents in the Life Of Marcus Paul" and I'll give that a try and then decide if I want to read anymore of his books. I started this...more
Andrea (Cozy Up With A Good Read)
Review originally posted on Cozy Up With A Good Read

I found this book a little slow in the beginning but I am glad I pushed through the first 20 or so pages. I found the story to be very intriguing. I enjoy that the book opens up describing the characters and then you get the background story on Alex to understand why he is such an unlikeable character. In the beginning I found myself sympathizing with Alex until I got to know him better.

At times I felt that I wanted to yell at the characters i...more
Erin
When I started reading David Adam Richards’ The Lost Highway I hated it. It was Crime and Punishment all over again, but set in the Maritimes and populated by poor Francaphones instead of poor Russians. Instead of murder for money, murder for a lottery ticket. The same obsessive hand wringing, the same excessive meditation on should-I, shouldn’t-I.

Until! Midway through the book Richards’ must have realized (or perhaps his editor) that a novel can only go so long without a plot event, and decided...more
Meredith
Daniel Kukwa
Another bleak, depressing, shocking, soul-shredding David Adams Richards novel...but it's SO BLOODY WELL written! The character of Alex Chapman could be the most incredible sociopath ever created for literature...his journey is, by turns, tragic and horrific...and once again, only one character emerges unscathed (not sure I can qualify it as happy) by the end of the novel.

However, what keeps this from five stars is a disturbing trend for the author's voice to preach AS the author, and not as a c...more
David
I'm a big David Adams Richards fan, but must admit that this book was disappointing. I may have never come across a main character of a novel as unlikeable as the self-pitying, cynical, disillusioned Alex Chapman and I found it a real struggle to get through the first two-thirds of the novel because of this. Things picked up a bit at the end so I bumped my final rating up to 3 stars.

If you're new to Adams Richards don't start with this novel - try Mercy Among the Children or Nights Below Statio...more
Julia
It took me too long to read this book. Maybe because I got involved in watching the first 2 seasons of MAD MEN, and my New Year's resolution of "Read less, watch more T.V." was being fulfilled.

The main character, Alex was such an unlikeable person. He and his uncle were constantly at odds with each other. Alex learns one day that his uncle has been sold a winning lottery ticket worth $13 million and Alex vows that his uncle will never see this money and from then on plots how to turn the ticket...more
Al

Alex spent a stunted childhood watching his gentle mother defiled by rough-handed men including Roach, his biological father. Upon his mother’s death Alex is passed into the care of his hard-nosed great-uncle Jim Chapman, nicknamed “The Tyrant” by their Miramichi community. Alex’s uncle becomes a symbol of all that he loathes.

Alex distinguishes himself from this brutal masculinity that stole his mother from himby becoming a self-imposed ascetic, entering the local seminary and rehearsing his o

Jon Edgar
This was Mr Adams Richards suspense / thriller novel, but it still features his fine writing; sort of like reading a Robert Crais plot written by Joseph Conrad. Well worth the time! JE
Stew
Granted this book got off to a slow start... This seems like a good companion to Crime and Punishment or the Brothers Karamazov. A interesting portrayal of character, as despicable as Alex was. It is a classic tragedy and a classic example of the depths of self-centered, greedy and broken people and the depths to which they carry on their charade of justifications.

An exploration of religion and ethics and man's inability to reconcile meaning.
Sheri
The previous books of his that I read blew me away but this one was just so-so. In fact after awhile I just skimmed through it. The story being about a huge lotto ticket being sold to an uncle that the nephew plots to get for himself. Blah, blah, just wasn't interested after awhile. And his writing was off, as far as I was concerned. I'll give this author a break and come back to him at a later date.
Jon
Started slow but more than made up for that by the end. Simple story but the details gave it a depth and heft. The way the characters rationalize their actions was interesting. I still can't decide whether I found Alex to be pitiable or pitiful. Both, I guess. Often, the dialogue felt a bit unnatural but at the same time appropriate and didn't push me out of the story - and just as often it was excellent.
Ted Dettweiler
I read Richards "God Is" before reading this novel. I loved this novel and "God Is" really set me up to get a deeper understanding of the author's position on a number of subjects.

I liked it so much because it shows the development of sin, speaks God's word and deals intelligently with important issues. Character development is also well done.

Ted Dettweiler.
Sean Kelly
Richards is adept at developing loathsome characters, although unlike Mercy Among The Children, this book has a more palatable ending. The story is entertaining and keeps the reader interested, if only in hopes of a comeuppance for two of the main characters.
Tim Grace
A very disagreeable main character and similarly so secondary character. I enjoyed the book finding it a bit repetitive at points but had the feeling that was conscious by the writer. At least the Amy character was a bright spot amid all the others.
Michelle
Another story from a long time favorite author. The way Richards can take names and turn them into real-life type characters living in a place like one you know is impressive. Maybe not my favorite of his work; another good read.
Carly Svamvour
This book is being discussed at The High Park Library, Toronto on the second Wednesday of June, 2k10.

I'll start reading it soon.
Sharon
A compelling read.. remember that things are not always as they seem, not in this book and not in life.
Khadija
A good book that once started you won't put it down till you finish it.
Sue
desolate setting;made me want to buy a lottery ticket
Shawn
A modern day "Crime and Punishment".
Ibis3
Aug 03, 2010 Ibis3 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-od
Edition irrelevant.2009-02-05
Julie
Suspense, rage and betrayal!
Cwhittaker
Cwhittaker marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Don Mcvicar
Don Mcvicar is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
THE LISTS: Basit Khan's novel Rationale and novel updates 10 18 Oct 30, 2011 07:15PM
David Adams Richards (born 17 October 1950) is a Canadian novelist, essayist, screenwriter and poet.

Born in Newcastle, New Brunswick, Richards left St. Thomas University in Fredericton, New Brunswick, one course shy of completing a B.A. Richards has been a writer-in-residence at various universities and colleges across Canada, including the University of New Brunswick.

Richards has received numerou...more
More about David Adams Richards...
Mercy Among the Children Nights Below Station Street The Friends of Meager Fortune River of the Brokenhearted The Bay of Love and Sorrows