Start by marking “Black Code: The Battle for the Future of Cyberspace” as Want to Read:
Black Code: The Battle for the Future of Cyberspace

Black Code: The Battle for the Future of Cyberspace

One of the world's leading internet experts takes readers into the shadowy realm of cyberspace and cybersecurity, revealing how it has transformed our world and the new rules we will need to adopt in order to survive.

In the twenty-first century, most of us experience a highly dynamic and interactive communications ecosystem that only two decades ago would have been the stu
Published April 2nd 2013 by McClelland & Stewart (first published October 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Code

John Weeks
Sep 30, 2013 John Weeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It starts with the Dalai Lama's computers, and hackers who are siphoning off data. It leads to revelations that nation-states are engaged in illegal hacking at an unprecedented scale.An excellent 'paper chase' (code chase) across the internet.

What does the 'Citizen Lab' recommend? That we apply the same civic principles of accountability and democracy to cyberspace. Easy to say, but harder to do. We need to work as a community to rein in the amazing and frightening scope of digital surveillance
James Creechan
This is a very important book, and it is very timely given Edward Snowden's leaking of the details of cyber-surveillance details used by the NSA.
Deibert is the director of the citizen lab at the University of Toronto's Munk Centre and has been writing about the abuse of cyberspace for a number of years. The Citizen lab is probably most widely known for its reporting of the Chinese government monitoring system (Ghostnet) tracking every move of the Dalai Lama (...and others).
This book covers a lot
Saleem Khan
My review appeared in the National Post Books section on June 8, 2013.

Black Code
By Ronald J. Deibert
Signal/McClelland & Stewart
312 pp; $32.99

In the late 1980s to mid-1990s, there was a triumphal spirit among the Internet’s denizens, who widely believed technology would enable free knowledge sharing that would spark an age of enlightenment, empowerment and freedom.

This is not that story.

Black Code is terrifying. It effortlessly chronicles threats ranging from individual privacy to national se
Eric
Nov 01, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author tackles a very large and complex subject here. On-line security means something different depending on who you are addressing. Individuals may not want to use their credit cards on dodgy websites; national leaders may want to protect military secrets; criminals may be looking for ways to exploit vulnerabilities.

Since the world is largely migrating to the internet the subject of security needs to be studied very seriously. We are living in the cave-man days of the internet and it's ver
Chad Kohalyk
May 27, 2013 Chad Kohalyk rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, working
From my full review chadkohalyk.com/blog/2013/11/16/tour-of-duty/:

Professor Deibert has been able to bring some of the deep academic work they have been doing at the Citizen Lab to a wider audience. The book is very accessible, and easy to recommend to your non-cypherpunk friends. Moreover, at least in my case, it should pique interest in reading more Citizen Lab publications for those interested in diving deeper.

. . .

Even though he describes the internet as a “totally immersive environment”, en
Jeff D.
May 28, 2013 Jeff D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An insightful and user-friendly foray into the often inaccessible world of cyberspace, and more precisely, cybercrime. The author, political sciences professor at the University of Toronto, Ronald Deibert has privileged access to the seedy underbelly of the internet through the research conducted by his brainchild, the Citizen Lab, that comes across in this book through the recounts of conversations with typically secretive cyber-security industry insiders. Deibert's passion for the subject matt ...more
Doug Green
Jul 02, 2013 Doug Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're at all concerned about or interested in the Edward Snowden issue with the NSA, this book will give all the background you need to understand the complex issues and problems involved. R.J. Diebert, a Professor at the University of Toronto has been intensively working in this area for over a decade and chronicles the how, what and who of various incursions and issues in our wired world. He also writes in a way the average non-computer person can understand, which is enough by itself to r ...more
Smilingplatypus
If you spend any time on the Internet (and I know you do), you should read this book. Deibert's look into the secretive workings of the Internet are especially relevant given the recent leaks about NSA/CSEC/etc. surveillance, but even without the topic being in the news this is a fascinating read. Covering everything from data mining and changing Internet demographics, to hackers and government censorship, to cyber-espionage and free speech, it's an eye-opening account of what goes on every time ...more
Jeffrey Hart
Feb 25, 2014 Jeffrey Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
First rate book about the darker corners of the Internet. Diebert surveys the territory in a way that combines sound scholarship with the perspective of a participant observer. Along the way, he provides useful information about Chinese hacking of the Dalai Lama's accounts, deep-packet inspection, distributed denial of service attacks, Anonymous, Stuxnet, and a variety of other topics. He concludes with some sensible recommendations about how to prevent the Internet from becoming even darker.
Annabelle
Sep 27, 2013 Annabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved the book.Really could not put it down.The author explained everything taking place in this dark space . I found a great deal quite shocking.If your into getting real details of cyberspace this book should be the book to read. For one who has been deep in this area for more than fourteen years I found the facts very revealing of what is going on. Highly recommend the book to others who want the truth on what is actually taking place.

Robert Chapman
Jul 06, 2013 Robert Chapman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This book was a real eye opener for me, which was a surprise as I keep up to date on this sort of thing.

Being able to download and use simple tools to perform DDOS attacks and the like is not news to me, however, the depth and complexity of the latest monitoring software was. The explanation of what these monitoring tools are, how they work, and who is using them was he most interesting aspect of the book and the most disturbing.

I highly recommend this book for everyone, after all, we all use th
Jefferson F
Jan 10, 2014 Jefferson F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read, if you are into tech and the currant state of world wide computer security, this is a book you need to read. I couldn't put it down, Deibert paints such a clear picture of a world rot with with governments and private corporations over stepping their rights and leading the blind masses towards a world where privacy is challenged from every direction. An absolute must read I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a very long time, totally engrossing.
Alan Medcalf
While I agree with others that the content is compelling and important, and the author's credentials are sterling to say the least, the rambling style of the book reduces its readability and impact. As an IT professional, I can see through that to the important story line and messages tucked into the too-many words. Yet, given the long rambling way of conveying his experiences and his messages, I couldn't recommend the book to others.
Just A. Bean
Oct 15, 2013 Just A. Bean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty much told me all I wanted to know about the current state of Internet security, both in relation to corporations and governments. It might be a little basic for someone with a deeper understanding in the first place. Though I felt it gave a clear and detail description of the current state of affairs and how we got here, it's suggestions for future action seemed a little vague.
Ellen
Jun 15, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found out about this book from a review on Boing Boing. This book highlights current research into surveillance. It is interesting to read the examples provided. It encourages one to be alert, cautious, but not totally paranoid (mostly).
Harold
Sep 24, 2013 Harold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting and disturbing book. It opened my eyes to the globalization of the digital revolution and its implications. Wish some oft he points were developed a bit more thoroughly and the book is sometimes a little bit too self-congratulatory.
Ronan O'Driscoll
Very good description of the dirty deeds that go on in cyberspace, not just by criminal organizations but also governments worldwide. The "weaponizing" of the internet is scary and Deibert's book details recent events well.
Todd Dow
Jun 07, 2013 Todd Dow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of the current security challenges online and how they impact global conflict. Well researched and endnotes, with numerous jumping off points for further research. Academically written, yet easily digestible as a casual read. This is one of the better infosec books I've read lately.
Chris Stracey
Jan 09, 2015 Chris Stracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for anyone who internets..
Herman Slatman
Sep 16, 2013 Herman Slatman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book; neatly explains Deibert's view. Great start to dive into laws and technology in cyberspace
Michal Minecki
Jan 13, 2014 Michal Minecki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very impressive look at state of internet freedom and the what the future entails. Made me aware that we need to work very hard to preserve freedom on the web.
زينب
Nov 22, 2013 زينب rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Must read for any internet user
Harmeet
Highlights the danger of connected world.
Social media is liberating but it can also be used as a tool to collect intelligence and suppress dissent esp. by powerful governments.
Oliver
May 25, 2013 Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written book about cyber warfare. Especially the examples from the last 5 years show that this is not a furure threat but its allready happening.
Kim Halavakoski
Feb 18, 2015 Kim Halavakoski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on the landscape of "cyber security" for normal people
Anita Clarke
Apr 22, 2014 Anita Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book. Gives a good overview on the players in Cybersecurity. Easy to read for non tech people but enough tech to keep someone like me interested
Barbara McVeigh
Oct 03, 2013 Barbara McVeigh marked it as paused-or-abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Sped read through it. Not for me at the minute, perhaps. Or maybe because it's written in the style of fear and telling more than it's showing.
Quintis
Quintis rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Rosalind
Rosalind rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Nathalie Maréchal
Nathalie Maréchal rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Desert America: Boom and Bust in the New Old West
  • Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking
  • The People's Platform: Taking Back Power and Culture in the Digital Age
  • Confront and Conceal: Obama's Secret Wars and Surprising Use of American Power
  • Consent of the Networked: The Worldwide Struggle For Internet Freedom
  • This Machine Kills Secrets: How WikiLeakers, Cypherpunks, and Hacktivists Aim to Free the World's Information
  • Amexica: War Along the Borderline
  • The End of Big: How the Internet Makes David the New Goliath
  • From Gutenberg to Zuckerberg: What You Really Need to Know About the Internet
  • Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness, and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier
  • The Deserter's Tale: The Story of an Ordinary Soldier Who Walked Away from the War in Iraq
  • Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age
  • The Future of the Internet and How to Stop It
  • The Black Box Society: The Secret Algorithms That Control Money and Information
  • Cybersecurity and Cyberwar
  • Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
  • The Transparent Society: Will Technology Force Us to Choose Between Privacy and Freedom?
  • A Geography of Blood: Unearthing Memory from a Prairie Landscape

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »