Start by marking “Working With Emotional Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Working With Emotional Intelligence

Working With Emotional Intelligence

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,681 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
Do you have what it takes to succeed in your career?

The secret of success is not what they taught you in school. What matters most is not IQ, not a business school degree, not even technical know-how or years of expertise. The single most important factor in job performance and advancement is emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is actually a set of skills that a
ebook
Published December 7th 2011 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Working With Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working With Emotional Intelligence

Deann
Dec 12, 2013 Deann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was forced to read this book for class and it was extremely underwhelming. It is as if the writer is trying to sell you on his idea by bashing you over the head with endless examples that prove his point. Save yourself a whole lot of time and monotony and read this one sentence, which sums up the whole book: Business professionals are most effective when they employ empathy, social skills, and a positive attitude, all of which are more important than IQ or expertise. There. You read the book. ...more
John
Aug 14, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because I was working in a testosterone filled hierarchy at the time I read this, it was like being handed a big, secret, club.

My coworkers generally didn't know what hit them - using Goleman's analytic framework allowed me to maneuver project teams into win-win outcomes.

Teaches you how to recognize impediments, how to understand what drives the other party's position (or at least how to figure out what that is), and best of all, how to use that knowledge.

GREAT read for anyone who regularly ne
Chad Warner
Jun 09, 2010 Chad Warner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Lee Eilers
Interpersonal skills are especially important in Information Technology, because purely technical skills are easily outsourced. I've become increasingly aware of this since I launched my technology services company, OptimWise, because although many aspects of IT are based online, real business is still mostly done "IRL" (in real life); where face-to-face conversations and other social skills are much more important.

A local entrepreneur recommended this book for its insights into the "soft" perso
Ron
Feb 12, 2013 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
No real rocket science here... Getting ahead may actually count more on your emotional IQ (see items below) than it does on your intellectual IQ. I'd only suggest reading one Goleman book. I suspect they all rehash the same thoughts.

Part 2 – Personal Competence (12 specific job capabilities)

Chapter 4 – Self-awareness
May 03, 2008 Brian Rast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dmitry
Apr 27, 2012 Dmitry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book discusses a rather important issue, but it is really, really badly written. I was especially underimpressed by it against the backdrop of the recently read "Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahneman.

The book is EXTREMELY long-winded. Long after it made its (perfectly convincing) point, it goes on and on piling one example on top of another in the style of chain letters, for further persuasion value adding a bunch of meaningless numbers: such and such billions of dollars of financial
Patricia
Sep 24, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
notes recently found on a book read a while back!

I have been reading non-fiction, Working with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Coleman. It seems that everyone I mention this to says he same thing.....There is a lot of emotional in the work place, but not very much intelligence! This is not a self help book, but one that explains what emotional intelligence is and how companies are beginning to realize that their bussiness can be effected by the emotions of their workers. My favorite quote is "T
Muhammad Magdi youssif
A very BORING book, I couldn't even complete it
In this book Daniel Goleman is explaining how Emotion Quotient (EQ) matters more than Intelligence Quotient (IQ) , then he started to explain the Emotional Competence Model that is composed of 1- Self Awareness 2- Self regulation 3- Motivation 4- Empathy 5- Social Skills besides demonstrating examples from real life on how each of these capacities matters. sometimes you will feel lost reading this book due to the HUGE amount of useless anecdotes and
Justin
Aug 26, 2008 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone on a rung of he "corporate Ladder"
Recommended to Justin by: My good eye
Working with Emotional Intelligence is a must read for anyone who wants to move up the corporate ladder. Today's business atmosphere is changing rapidly, and anyone without emotional intelligence will likely find moving upward in their company very difficult.
Sergei_kalinin
Aug 05, 2013 Sergei_kalinin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hrm, psychology
Пока - лучшая книга Гоулмана, из известных мне :)

Мега-рецензия на неё и всякие дополнительные вкусности - в моем блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/07/...
Yasser Hassan
A review of the audio book edition: In this book, Daniel Goleman takes the theoretical foundation and concepts laid in the previous book "Emotional Intelligence" and puts them into application. While "Emotional Intelligence" is about how to understand emotional intelligence, this book is about how to practice it. Although Daniel Goleman mainly addresses the workplace and professional life in this book, still the knowledge provided can be effectively applied on the personal level and in dealing w ...more
Dayla
Feb 25, 2013 Dayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, leadership
Great suggestions. If you are on the spectrum, ADHD, or OCD, this book should be your Bible, especially if you have ever been uncomfortable at work and you really didn't know why. This book has great insight.

However, between this book and John Gray's "men are from mars....at work" I would prefer Gray's book for more gender-tailored advice.

Ev
Mar 08, 2015 Ev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, which can be summed up on pg. 106:

"Motive and emotion share the same Latin root, motere, meaning 'to move'. Emotions are, literally, what move us to pursue our goals; they fuel our motivations, and our motives in turn drive our perceptions and shape our actions. Great work starts with great feeling."
ABC
Aug 30, 2010 ABC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens-and-adults
I read the original book "Emotional Intelligence" way back a million years ago when it first came out. I barely remember it, but I think it was pretty good.

This book, however, feels like Goleman put a book together to make more money on Emotional Intelligence. It is business oriented and most of it was either not very interesting or it was common sense.
Alexander
Jun 01, 2009 Alexander rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Not as good as the first (so far). The organization of the book is a bit frustrating, with no clear direction of where Goleman is headed.

The first book definitely had a greater impact on me. The last 75 pages or so seemed to drone on about the same topics, with little new insights.

I think the typical reader could do without reading this book if they've already read the first.
Joseph
May 21, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a great book that helped me understand symptoms and manifestations of officepolitik.

not only that but i appreciate the insight that goleman gives re: office bullies. it provides a model for which one can understand one's motivation and actions. the book provides a great framework that shows tried and true methods that help improve one's social intelligence.

Peep Laja
Jun 03, 2007 Peep Laja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
This is a follow-up to Emotional Intelligence, so read that first.

I found this book to be highly practical, way more pragmatic than the previous book. If you read the E.I., I strongly recommend to read this too to get the most out of this topic.
Kc
Jul 09, 2009 Kc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learnings:

Emotional competence involves two things (1) empathy in reading the feelings of others, (2) social skills to handle those feeling artfully

Integrity - acting openly, honestly and consistently - sets outstanding performers apart

The first step in influence is building rapport
Sara
Feb 09, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book totally justifies why we shouldn't push pressure on perfect grades. More important to have experience running events, leading organizations etc.
Shravani Ganti
Great detail on how mind actually deals with emotions. I found the science part of the book amazing.
Rest will be good if you are into reading philosophy. Not something am fond of.
Zhiyar Qadri
Nov 12, 2014 Zhiyar Qadri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
theory applied and explained with brilliant simplicity.
Dmitry Kuriakov
Dec 05, 2015 Dmitry Kuriakov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книга «Эмоциональный интеллект в бизнесе» является переизданием знаменитой книги «Эмоциональный интеллект на работе». Трудно сказать, чем руководствовалось издательство МИФ, которое собственно и переиздало эту книгу, поменяв название. Однако стоит отдать издательству должное, т.к. переиздание получилось просто великолепное. Хорошая, качественная бумага, красивая обложка и крупный шрифт. Книгу приятно держать в руках.
По поводу самой книги: одна из легендарных книг по бизнес-психологии, входит в
Rehmat
Mar 18, 2016 Rehmat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leadership and emotional intelligence

A review by Remat Chinggisi

While exchanging views on books with my boss, he suggested me to go through Siimon Reynold’s Why People Fail. It was winter-2013, in January. Later that year, I found hard copy of the book, Why People Fail, and read it. The book devotes one entire chapter on emotional intelligence, famously known today as EQ, which causes failure if a person fails to diagnose what cause to stir up his emotions and how to regulate his emotions. Thi
Sherine
Dec 05, 2016 Sherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most interesting topics ,lots of example and study cases in this book .
Emma Master
We can control our impulsive emotions with reason, practicing self-discipline and turn this into a habit.
Mika Auramo
Daniel Golemanin teos on suomennettu Tunneäly työelämässä, ja se jatkaa siitä, mihin kirja Tunneäly päättyi. Tunneälyssä keskityttiin pitkälti neurobiologiaan, korteksin, otsalohkojen ja mantelitumakkeen yhteistoimintaan ja kehittymiseen ihmislapsen varhaisimmista kuukausista lähtien.

Nimensä mukaisesti tässä kirjassa pääpaino on työelämässä pärjäämisessä, amerikkalaiseen tapaan yritysten voittomäärän maksimointi tuntuu olevan se päätekijä, unohtamatta inhimillistä tekijää. Se on sopivien yksittä
Amy Proctor
Sep 27, 2016 Amy Proctor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking for any aspect of your life!
Victor Kryvenko
May 13, 2014 Victor Kryvenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Классика. Что еще можно сказать про книгу? Маст рид для всех-всех менеджеров. Единственный ее минус – это размер. Читается хоть и легко, но очень долго. Зато полезно…

То, что эту книгу нужно перечитывать несколько раз каждому руководителю даже не обсуждается. Это даже уже не прилично – не знать что такое эмоциональный интеллект и не пользоваться этими знаниями.

Я для себя в процессе работы и практики делаю разделение на руководителей “нашего” типа. Я имею ввиду немного совкового типа. Это самодур
Charmin
Jul 23, 2016 Charmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. *It is those with the greatest self-confidence who will be most willing to take the risk of speaking up and pointing out problems or injustices that others only grumble about –or quit over.
2. The head of an organization is essentially a teacher…people these days need to have a sense they are getting increasingly competent as they go on---or else they wouldn’t stay.
3. The more motivated people are to learn, the greater the effectiveness of the training for them.
4. Empathy: being abl
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • de Bono's Thinking Course
  • Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance
  • How Can I Get Through to You? Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women
  • Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life
  • Megatrends 2000
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Daily Drucker: 366 Days of Insight and Motivation for Getting the Right Things Done
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • Say It Right the First Time
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • How to Argue & Win Every Time: At Home, At Work, In Court, Everywhere, Everyday
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine
More about Daniel Goleman...

“out-of-control emotions can make smart people stupid.” 4 likes
“We do not compete in our careers with people who lack the requisite intelligence to enter and stay in our field—but rather against the much smaller group of those who have managed to jump the hurdles of schooling, entry exams, and other cognitive challenges to get into the field in the first place.” 2 likes