Start by marking “Philadelphia Experiment” as Want to Read:
Philadelphia Experiment

Philadelphia Experiment

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  30 reviews
One day in 1943, at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, something happened . . .

Suddenly the U.S.S. Eldridge, a fully manned destroyer escort, vanished into a green fog, within seconds appeared in Norfolk, Virginia, and then reappeared in Philadelphia!

For over thirty-six years officials have denied this, have denied any experimentation to render matter invisible have denied the

Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published April 12th 1981 by Fawcett Books (first published September 28th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Philadelphia Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philadelphia Experiment

Shawn
As I get older and look back on so many of these "mysteries" that enthralled me as a kid, and my experience of the world grows larger, there seem to be two words that apply more and more frequently to these "events".

The two words are "hack" and "schizophrenia".
Paul
...and there are fairies at the bottom of my garden.
David
Aug 20, 2007 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open minds
there is at least 8....books form various writers on this subject but the best review comes from the like below..

Philadelphia Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... circles, and elements of the Philadelphia Experiment are featured in many other ... into a motion picture, The Philadelphia Experiment directed by Stewart Rafill. ...
Quick Links: Synopsis of the experiment - Origins of the story - Morris Jessup and Carlos Miguel Allende

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Ex... - 67k - Cach
Brandon
Like reading the diary of a madman.

You’ve heard of the Philadelphia Experiment, right? Of course you have. It’s one of the original techno myths. An absolute stone cold classic. The story goes, in 1943 the US Navy made the destroyer escort USS Eldridge disappear into a dense green fog. A few minutes later, it reappeared. The men on board – because, of course, it would only make sense to do this with a ship that was fully staffed at the time – didn’t fare too well, either physically or psychologi
Michael DeRosa
Very convincing. Although it does not prove that the Experiment actually took place, it leaves proof positive that there was a considerable coverup of the incident.
Bob Jr.
As with my 'review' of The Bermuda Triangle - my enjoyment of this is colored by nostalgia. It's ridiculous, but fun - even in all it's attempted seriousness.
Donald
Oct 30, 2007 Donald rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mostly Forteans
Despite official denials, many people still believe that in 1943 a U.S. naval ship was involved in a brief bit of teleportation that came to be referred to as "The Philadelphia Experiment." The legend began with some cryptic comments from one Carlos Allende to noted UFO researcher Morris K. Jessup in 1955, in reaction to his book "The Case For The UFO." Subsequently, even stranger comments were found marked within a copy of Jessup's book, attributed to Allende. Allende told Jessup about witnessi ...more
Robert
This book is an excellent tool for teaching people the difference between real journalism and garbage. How this "mystery" ever caught on is the real mystery, because the author makes such idiotic (or intentional) errors as discussing what has taken place at the Newark/Camden naval yards: Newark and Camden are on opposite ends and opposite sides of New Jersey. Newark is on the Atlantic Ocean near the mouth of the Hudson River, in the New York metropolitan area; Camden is on the Delaware River, in ...more
Walt
Even though the author (NOT Charles Berlitz, even though his name is on the cover) It was very short on supporting facts.
Erik
Very intriguing story. I'm not sure that the casual reader will be hooked by it, but a lot of time and effort were put forth into the details that provide the case for this mystery. As for the truth, I won't say that the book 100% convinced me, but if the aim is to leave the reader motivated to find out more info on this topic/genre, then they did a good job. There is great factual evidence, as best as can be put forth, but I do wish they would have given more pages to the actual experiment itse ...more
Der_m
Nov 24, 2007 Der_m rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal freaks
I was very disappointed in reading this book, but only because I thought it was well-researched and honestly reported. I first heard of the Philadelphia Experiment from my father, who undoubtedly heard one of the many permutations of the legend; and I was looking forward to the "Sightings"-style overview of the case. Sadly, the author did an amazing job of getting to the very bottom of the matter, including all the evidence that it's likely a hoax.

This is a good read for fans of Art Bell, milita
Valleri
I saw this featured in a quick piece on a documentary once and thought "what a bunch of BS". But after reading, I'm not so sure it didn't happen. There's seems to be a lot more missing information & documents than there should be and enough people involved have died to make you raise an eyebrow. The scary thing is, if they did this back in the 40's what in the hell are we doing now.
Mark Woodland
The author tries, but fails to make a very convincing case that this actually happened. From other pieces I've read about it, I think the whole "invisibility" thing is an urban legend, at least in literal terms. Is it an exaggeration of some actual experiment? Maybe, but you'd have to read it & decide for yourself. Better books await you.
JSou
I loved this movie when I was a little girl (yes, I've ALWAYS been a sci-fi/time travel nerd). My mom & I watched it constantly even before we knew it was based on actual events.

Fascinating conspiracy-like read about experiments conducted by the Navy with the help of Albert Einstein during World War II.
Richard
It's hard to get into, the conspiracy theories are just mad and seeing as now it's largely regarded as a hoax anyway then it's a pretty pointless read. Stick with the film, at least that knew it was science fiction. The book would have made a good sci-fi fiction book but presented as fact, it's just crazy.
Josh Ellis
Fun read. Goofy, of questionable veracity, and sensationalistic, but fun none the less.

I'd classify this little gem of a conspiracy theory book in the same category as romance novels and other "beach reads".

Recommended for less serious reading only. :-)
dead letter office
a purportedly nonfictional account of a naval experiment in teleportation gone awry, written by two of the worlds leading experts on bermuda triangology in all its forms.
Brian Wilson
Not very convincing - but the perfect book for a young reader who is highly succeptible to such urban legends and conspiracies. Made for a great cheesy movie, however...
D
A very brief and crisp documentary on the controversial invisibility experiment.Good interesting read. However the book could have been more expansive.
Gloria
Creepiness personified -- did this really happen? Great summer beach reading. Google "Philadelphia Experiment" and see if you want to read the book...LOL
Corbett
I read this book and was very interested in the ideas and information it presented. At the time there were a lot of people claiming to have been on that ship.
Nik
Not too bad. Contained some info that I had not been through before reading this. A must read though for PX followers.
Relax
the governments of various countries keep many things a secret from their citizens. this is one such experiment.
Melissa
I was really interested in the subject but this book left me with more questions than answers.
Marilyn
I read this in hard cover, I'm sure...borrowed from the library.
Rickina
Spoiler alert: it didn't happen.
Madhavi
Always re-reading, can't stop!
Vivek
good sci-fi. not great, but very good.
Dee
  • The Peopling of British North America: An Introduction
  • Goldwyn
  • The Day Kennedy Was Shot
  • UFOs, JFK & Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe
  • A Brief History of Secret Societies: The Hidden Powers of Clandestine Organizations and Elites from the Ancient World to the Present Day
  • Hidden History: Exploring Our Secret Past
  • Gods of Eden
  • A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the  Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy (and How to End It)
  • The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture
  • None Dare Call It Conspiracy
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
  • Redemolished
  • Telling the Truth About History
  • When Presidents Lie: A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences
  • The Story of American Freedom
Born in NYC, Berlitz was the grandson of Maximilien Berlitz, who founded the Berlitz Language Schools. As a child, Charles was raised in a household in which (by father's orders) every relative & servant spoke to Charles in a different language. He reached adolescence speaking eight languages fluently. In adulthood, he recalled having had the delusion that every human spoke a different languag ...more
More about Charles Frambach Berlitz...
Bermuda Triangle Atlantis:  The Eighth Continent Native Tongues World of Strange Phenomena The Roswell Incident