Start by marking “Philadelphia Experiment” as Want to Read:
Philadelphia Experiment

Philadelphia Experiment

One day in 1943, at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, something happened . . .

Suddenly the U.S.S. Eldridge, a fully manned destroyer escort, vanished into a green fog, within seconds appeared in Norfolk, Virginia, and then reappeared in Philadelphia!

For over thirty-six years officials have denied this, have denied any experimentation to render matter invisible have denied the

Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published April 12th 1981 by Fawcett Books (first published September 28th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Philadelphia Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philadelphia Experiment

As I get older and look back on so many of these "mysteries" that enthralled me as a kid, and my experience of the world grows larger, there seem to be two words that apply more and more frequently to these "events".

The two words are "hack" and "schizophrenia".
Oct 18, 2014 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...and there are fairies at the bottom of my garden.
Aug 20, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open minds
there is at least 8....books form various writers on this subject but the best review comes from the like below..

Philadelphia Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... circles, and elements of the Philadelphia Experiment are featured in many other ... into a motion picture, The Philadelphia Experiment directed by Stewart Rafill. ...
Quick Links: Synopsis of the experiment - Origins of the story - Morris Jessup and Carlos Miguel Allende - 67k - Cach
Bob Jr.
Jun 11, 2014 Bob Jr. rated it liked it
As with my 'review' of The Bermuda Triangle - my enjoyment of this is colored by nostalgia. It's ridiculous, but fun - even in all it's attempted seriousness.
Michael DeRosa
Aug 21, 2012 Michael DeRosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very convincing. Although it does not prove that the Experiment actually took place, it leaves proof positive that there was a considerable coverup of the incident.
Aug 20, 2014 Brandon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like reading the diary of a madman.

You’ve heard of the Philadelphia Experiment, right? Of course you have. It’s one of the original techno myths. An absolute stone cold classic. The story goes, in 1943 the US Navy made the destroyer escort USS Eldridge disappear into a dense green fog. A few minutes later, it reappeared. The men on board – because, of course, it would only make sense to do this with a ship that was fully staffed at the time – didn’t fare too well, either physically or psychologi
Oct 30, 2007 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mostly Forteans
Despite official denials, many people still believe that in 1943 a U.S. naval ship was involved in a brief bit of teleportation that came to be referred to as "The Philadelphia Experiment." The legend began with some cryptic comments from one Carlos Allende to noted UFO researcher Morris K. Jessup in 1955, in reaction to his book "The Case For The UFO." Subsequently, even stranger comments were found marked within a copy of Jessup's book, attributed to Allende. Allende told Jessup about witnessi ...more
Jan 14, 2016 Tifnie rated it really liked it
Clearly I'm behind on my reading and updating. I finished this book though I can't be sure of when exactly.

I choose this book because I remember seeing parts of the movie with the same title many years ago and only remembers bits and pieces. Now I wanted to know the truth of the matter. Unfortunately this book read like an episode of Geraldo Rivera when he enters in a some secret lair only to find out it wasn't what he thought thus fouling thousands of viewers. Well, towards the middle I was beg
Mar 19, 2009 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book is an excellent tool for teaching people the difference between real journalism and garbage. How this "mystery" ever caught on is the real mystery, because the author makes such idiotic (or intentional) errors as discussing what has taken place at the Newark/Camden naval yards: Newark and Camden are on opposite ends and opposite sides of New Jersey. Newark is on the Atlantic Ocean near the mouth of the Hudson River, in the New York metropolitan area; Camden is on the Delaware River, in ...more
Nov 24, 2007 Der_m rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal freaks
I was very disappointed in reading this book, but only because I thought it was well-researched and honestly reported. I first heard of the Philadelphia Experiment from my father, who undoubtedly heard one of the many permutations of the legend; and I was looking forward to the "Sightings"-style overview of the case. Sadly, the author did an amazing job of getting to the very bottom of the matter, including all the evidence that it's likely a hoax.

This is a good read for fans of Art Bell, milita
Mar 18, 2013 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intriguing story. I'm not sure that the casual reader will be hooked by it, but a lot of time and effort were put forth into the details that provide the case for this mystery. As for the truth, I won't say that the book 100% convinced me, but if the aim is to leave the reader motivated to find out more info on this topic/genre, then they did a good job. There is great factual evidence, as best as can be put forth, but I do wish they would have given more pages to the actual experiment itse ...more
Mark Woodland
The author tries, but fails to make a very convincing case that this actually happened. From other pieces I've read about it, I think the whole "invisibility" thing is an urban legend, at least in literal terms. Is it an exaggeration of some actual experiment? Maybe, but you'd have to read it & decide for yourself. Better books await you.
I saw this featured in a quick piece on a documentary once and thought "what a bunch of BS". But after reading, I'm not so sure it didn't happen. There's seems to be a lot more missing information & documents than there should be and enough people involved have died to make you raise an eyebrow. The scary thing is, if they did this back in the 40's what in the hell are we doing now.
Mar 09, 2009 JSou rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this movie when I was a little girl (yes, I've ALWAYS been a sci-fi/time travel nerd). My mom & I watched it constantly even before we knew it was based on actual events.

Fascinating conspiracy-like read about experiments conducted by the Navy with the help of Albert Einstein during World War II.
Aug 04, 2011 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to get into, the conspiracy theories are just mad and seeing as now it's largely regarded as a hoax anyway then it's a pretty pointless read. Stick with the film, at least that knew it was science fiction. The book would have made a good sci-fi fiction book but presented as fact, it's just crazy.
Josh Ellis
Sep 17, 2012 Josh Ellis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy
Fun read. Goofy, of questionable veracity, and sensationalistic, but fun none the less.

I'd classify this little gem of a conspiracy theory book in the same category as romance novels and other "beach reads".

Recommended for less serious reading only. :-)
Jun 27, 2007 Relax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the governments of various countries keep many things a secret from their citizens. this is one such experiment.
Aug 22, 2015 Walt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Even though the author (NOT Charles Berlitz, even though his name is on the cover) It was very short on supporting facts.
dead letter office
a purportedly nonfictional account of a naval experiment in teleportation gone awry, written by two of the worlds leading experts on bermuda triangology in all its forms.
Mar 20, 2008 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepiness personified -- did this really happen? Great summer beach reading. Google "Philadelphia Experiment" and see if you want to read the book...LOL
Dec 28, 2008 Corbett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: explore
I read this book and was very interested in the ideas and information it presented. At the time there were a lot of people claiming to have been on that ship.
Brian Wilson
Not very convincing - but the perfect book for a young reader who is highly succeptible to such urban legends and conspiracies. Made for a great cheesy movie, however...
Feb 06, 2009 D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very brief and crisp documentary on the controversial invisibility experiment.Good interesting read. However the book could have been more expansive.
May 23, 2012 Nik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alternative
Not too bad. Contained some info that I had not been through before reading this. A must read though for PX followers.
Helene Griffin
Helene Griffin rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Roop rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Prasanna Kumar
Prasanna Kumar rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Rene David
Rene David rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Sepideh rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Vicki Anderson
Vicki Anderson rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
  • Mr. Jefferson and the Giant Moose: Natural History in Early America
  • Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • Dead Men's Secrets: Tantalising Hints of a Lost Super Race
  • 60 Greatest Conspiracies Of All Time - History's Biggest Mysteries, Cover-ups, And Cabals
  • Abducted: How People Come to Believe They Were Kidnapped by Aliens
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy: And How to End It
  • Jefferson's War: America's First War on Terror 1801-1805
  • The Day After Roswell
  • The Friar and the Cipher: Roger Bacon and the Unsolved Mystery of the Most Unusual Manuscript in the World
  • The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present
  • The Civil War: A Visual History
  • The Last Man on Earth
Born in NYC, Berlitz was the grandson of Maximilien Berlitz, who founded the Berlitz Language Schools. As a child, Charles was raised in a household in which (by father's orders) every relative & servant spoke to Charles in a different language. He reached adolescence speaking eight languages fluently. In adulthood, he recalled having had the delusion that every human spoke a different languag ...more
More about Charles Frambach Berlitz...