Start by marking “The Angst-Ridden Executive” as Want to Read:
The Angst-Ridden Executive

The Angst-Ridden Executive (Pepe Carvalho #3)

Introducing one of crime fiction’s most legendary detectives, and greatest writers, to America

When Antonio Jauma, a director of the multinational conglomerate Petnay, is murdered, his widow seeks out private investigator Pepe Carvalho, who had met and forgotten the playboy executive after their single chance encounter—back when Carvalho still worked for the CIA.

Jauma was a
Published February 14th 2012 by Melville International Crime (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Angst-Ridden Executive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angst-Ridden Executive

Katie rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Turbios asuntos de una multinacional norteamericana que derriba y erige Gobiernos a golpe de talonario, por el bien común, siempre por el bien común.
Ciudades: San Francisco, Las Vegas
Libros quemados: La crítica de la razón dialéctica, de Lefevbre; Así se templó el acero, de Ostrovski; Ensayos sobre Heine, de Sacristán; Anatomía del realismo, de Sastre.
Bello! Montalban non si smentisce, anche se questa volta mi ha un po' spiazzato, con un finale enigmatico!
Dave Johnson
Aug 27, 2011 Dave Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable thriller, with interesting insights into post-Franco Catalonia/Spain. Pepe the Private Investigator is an engagingly flawed human being with a healthy interest in good food...
Lorena Sanchis
Lorena Sanchis rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Histoire en fait assez vide, descriptions inutiles qui servent à exprimer surtout une position politique. L'impression que l'ensemble manque de cohérence.
Apr 30, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zach Gillan
Manuel Vázquez Montalbán was a prolific Spanish writer. Among his many works was the Pepe Carvalho series, which features a rumpled private detective. Set mostly in Barcelona, the series is interesting because Pepe, like his creator, shares an affinity for Post-Franco left-wing politics. The book is populated with survivors of the opposition to the dictator Francisco Franco. Pepe also loves food and this novel features many interesting meals. The city of Barcelona is also featured in all it's g ...more
Anna rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Costanza rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Some distinctly quotable lines--mainly about food--but the story itself was a combination of thin, and confusing. (The latter complaint is partially a fault of the book's design; it's not terribly clear, typographically, when characters or even scenes change.)

That said, though, the plot still seemed almost beside the point, in some ways; the main character's meals are by far the most memorable part of the book. Then again, I don't know that much about post-Franco Spain; maybe if I did the politi
Mar 06, 2013 Patty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Well, I read this in English, obviously, but the meal descriptions and references to Spanish history and philosophy outnumber the aspects of the mystery- which was thin enough.
Angel Serrano
Clelia rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Emperador Spock
—¿Le gusta hacer deporte?
—Deportes imaginativos. Comer. Joder.

Y es exactamente lo que hace. Claro, los excesos alimentarios y las miradas largas bajo los escotes profundos son las marcas de destinción de PP Carvalho, no obstante, en "La soledad" el autor no acertó a mezclar estos elementos en la masa del texto de una manera uniforme y balanceada. La harina sale por todas partes, por lugares inapropiados, en situaciones ridículas.

Los capítulos que relatan una parte del pasado de Carvalho no aport
Kobayashi rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Marco Croella
Marco Croella rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Sam Feldman
Sam Feldman rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2014
Loaded2013 rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Daveg_c rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Joyce Kinkead
Dated mystery but insightful on time period and Barcelona

The Guardian included this title on Top Ten set in Barcelona. It's in the hard boiled detective genre. His Watson is Biscuiter, and both men enjoy cooking. One of my favorite sections describes cooking duck at 1 am. Lots of sex, and some not very pretty. Language may be an issue as it's not PG rated. Graphic descriptions in some cases, but not bad for 35 years on.
Klarkash-Ton rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
review of
Manuel Vazquez Montalban's The Angst-Ridden Executive
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - August 31, 2015

To read the full review, please go here:

"Franco is dead! THANK GOODNESS!":

Ever since I read Montalban's The Buenos Aires Quintet (my review's here: ) I've been hoping I'd find something else by him in used bk stores &, Lo & Behold!, I finally did in my favorite PGH bookshop last wk. What a treat!
Anthony Ferner
Anthony Ferner rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Elizabeth Millard Whitman
Private detective Pepe Carvahlo is a man of large appetites, especially for food and for women. The author's descriptions of food make your mouth water (well, sometimes they make you say yuk); the descriptions of women are coarse. There are fun glimpses of post-Franco Barcelona throughout.
jogarque rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Tim rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Jun 01, 2016 LLNYC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading detective novels from around the globe (this means you, Mwa Ramotswe and Kurt Wallendar). Since they're all more or less engaged in the same work, the detective's mindset and idiosyncrasies can help you gain great insights to the national psyche - and especially to the places they work. I often use them as informal travel guides. I read this novel on the plane to in Barcelona, where detective Pepe Carvalho resides. It made for a better visit and I left wishing he'd invited me over ...more
Nicola Laganà
Nicola Laganà rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Sn rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dog Day (Petra Delicado Mysteries, #2)
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Return to the Same City: A Hector Belascoaran Shayne Detective Novel
  • More Beer
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • The Black Angel
  • Solea
  • Blackout
  • The Blue Room
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos (Kostas Charitos, #4)
  • Nestor Burma: Brouillard au pont de Tolbiac
  • I Was Dora Suarez
Manuel Vázquez Montalbán was a prolific Spanish writer: journalist, novelist, poet, essayist, anthologue, prologist, humourist, critic, as well as a gastronome and a FC Barcelona supporter.

He studied Philosophy at Universidad Autònoma de Barcelona and was also a member of the Unified Socialist Party of Catalonia. For many years, he contributed columns and articles to the Madrid-based daily newspa
More about Manuel Vázquez Montalbán...

Pepe Carvalho (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Ho ammazzato J.F. Kennedy  (Pepe Carvalho #1)
  • Tatuaggio (Pepe Carvalho #2)
  • Southern Seas
  • Murder in the Central Committee
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok
  • La Rosa Di Alessandria
  • Le Terme
  • Storie di fantasmi
  • Storie di padri e figli
  • Storie di politica sospetta

“To begin cooking duck at one in the morning is one of the finest acts of madness that can be undertaken by a human being who is not mad.” 8 likes
“As one who appreciated the tragic side of eating, it seemed to him that anything other than fruit for dessert implied a reprehensible frivolity, and cakes in particular ended up annihilating the flavour of quiet sadness that must be allowed to linger at the end of a great culinary performance.” 8 likes