Start by marking “Scalped, Vol. 10: Trail's End” as Want to Read:
Scalped, Vol. 10: Trail's End

Scalped, Vol. 10: Trail's End (Scalped #10)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Fifteen years ago, Dashiell "Dash" Bad Horse ran away from a life of poverty and hopelessness on the Prairie Rose Indian Reservationin search of something better.

Now he's come back home armed with nothing but a set of nunchucks, a hell-bent-for leather attitude and one dark secret, to find nothing much has changed on "The Rez" — short of a glimmering new casino run by a co
Published November 20th 2012 by Vertigo (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Scalped, Vol. 10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scalped, Vol. 10

Mike
Of course, in an Aaron tale the law wouldn't be the end of the story. Here especially. I was initially fooled into thinking, "there's no way there's any more story to tell after the big arrest". Boy is there. Plenty of confrontations, bad decisions, people seeking redemption and little of that to be found.

At the end of this amazing saga, I find myself not entirely satisfied. I can see why Aaron ended this the way he did, and there's a certain poetic justice in how everyone ended up. I don't thin
Daryl
The five-star rating is not only for this volume, but for the series as a whole. I read the final three volumes in the last week. I tried to read them slowly to savor them, but found I couldn't. The writing throughout the series has been amazing, and by the end, everything pays off. Vertigo has published some great series - 100 Bullets, Y: The Last Man - and this ranks right up there with the best of them. R.M. Guera's art meshes with Jason Aaron's story perfectly, and even when there were fill- ...more
Bevans
Goddamn, this is brilliant. A perfectly executed story, dozens of great characters, and wonderful art. I really hope they collect the series into some nice hardcovers, because I want to read it again and pass it along to my friends.
Heath Lowrance
The end of this epic, violent, emotional, intense crime drama doesn't disappoint. But it does give us a lot of unexpected moments. Yeah, there's the obligatory bloody three-way stand-off (we'd have felt ripped off without that) but there's so much more besides. There's excellent character moments and sudden insights and bittersweet endings and even a little hope. There's open-endedness and world-weary resignation. There's self-discovery and finally-realized Truth, with a capital T.

Jason Aaron co
Cyndi
Great finish to one of the best series I have traveled through. Superlative!!! Writing! Characters! The tale!

I am reminded of Michael Corleone's passionate revelation from Godfather III...just when I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!! The lives of all involved are irreparably changed in the final betrayals. The resolution may leave you tweaked . Absolutely loved it!
Josh
SERIES: 10/10

An excellent take on crime fiction. Jason Aaron says it best in his afterword: 60 issues, 10 trade paperbacks, over 1200 pages. This is an epic work that can read like a whole novel if the entire series is taken in (which is now possible being that the whole series is available in paperback).

At first, the story centers on Dashiell Bad Horse, a disillusioned tough guy with a self-hatred for his own people, returning to his degenerating hometown, the Prairie Rose Indian Reservation, i
Sonic
An absolutely perfect conclusion to one of the very best (epic) series that I have read in comics.
It is a hard-boiled thrilling thrill ride
that felt like it was threatening to boil over from the very beginning
and I know many of us were like
"Come On! When are things gonna come to a head!!!???"

And yet it always seemed just on the very fu<(in edge of boiling over!

Great characters
great plot
great pacing
amazing (Seriously Amazing!) art, especially from the principle co-creator Guera
and with all
Eric England
A truly amazing conclusion to one of the best comic book series of all time. This volume has it all. Great character moments are augmented by truly riveting and intense action sequences. The atmosphere and feeling of dread makes the reader quicken their pulse and turn the page like there is no tomorrow. Every member of the Scalped cast is changed at the end of their journey. While some of the characters' are surprising at first glance, all of their destinies make sense when viewed through the co ...more
Iain Macleod
5 stars not only for this volume but the series as a whole. Scalped is the best crime comic that I have ever read, taking over my previous favourite; 100 Bullets. The conclusion here easily manages to be exciting, tense and surprising. Not only surprising in how some of the characters stories end, mostly in a perfect storm of fire, blood and bullets, but also in the level of emotion that seeps through in the final pages. Jason Aaron's hard boiled writing and Rio Guera's dusty, bloody artwork man ...more
Richard Guion
The final volume of Scalped is a fitting end to the entire series. Dash's journey comes full circle and is bitter sweet. One of the best mature comics series that I've ever read, ranks up there with Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned and Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days. I hope Jason Aaron returns to this type of creator owned material in the future.
Nikki
It should come as no surprise that Scalped had a bittersweet ending. I've written in earlier reviews about my discomfort with a white guy telling a Native American story, so I won't belabor that here. I want to talk about the characters, because they are what kept bringing me back. I'm a sucker for nuanced characters, characters who live in the gray, and Scalped may have the strongest set of characters I've ever come to know. They live in the dark end of gray, to be sure. They are despicable, ug ...more
Aaron
An emotional, gut-wrenching, climactic, and incredibly fitting end to one of the best comic series I've ever read. This series is just as enthralling as Breaking Bad, as intense as the Sopranos, as alive as Deadwood. I cannot recommend this series highly enough, especially after the payoff this final volume gives. This is a series I am going to read over and over again, and one we'll be talking about for decades.
Jeff Lanter
Well it is finally the end of my favorite comic series. I will say this volume is quite a change of pace from the previous ones. It was jarring in both good and bad ways. Ultimately, it is all about the ending which satisfies and makes sense, but didn't blow me away as much as I expected. The ending is no tarnish on what is an absolutely fantastic series though. Scalped gets my highest recommendation.
Bill Williams
Jason Aaron's sprawling reservation noir thriller comes to a sudden stop with this collection. The gun fight that had been brewing for sixty issues, does not disappoint as Dash Bad Horse, Lincoln Red Crow and an army of thugs shoot it out in the heart of a raging inferno.

This final piece of the puzzle completes the portrait of life and crime on the reservation. It's top notch work.
Jacob
Scalped, through and through, one of the best sequential art stories I've ever read. Native American crime on the rez. I'll miss this series and already look forward to starting over and consuming it all at a rate much faster than 5 years time. For those interested on the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalped
Sam Quixote
A breathtaking end to an amazing series.

Full review here
Ije the Devourer of Books
I have come to the end of the most brilliant graphic novel series that I have ever read.

And I just feel bereft and at a loss. I wanted this crazy roller coaster ride to continue.

I wanted more, much more.

And so I am very very pleased that this series is going to be adapted for TV. The sooner the better.

Move over Walking Dead because Scalped is here!!

There are no heroes in this series. There are only men and women with ancient pasts that haunt them and recent pasts that cannot be overcome. The
Corto Maltese
I won't get into the details. Everybody who made it till here don't need any convincing to read the book.
Let me just say that Aaron manages to bring his amazing book to a throughly satisfying end. Of course there is all the violence and twists I grew fond of though the other nine volumes, but Scalped was always a more character-driven (as opposed to plotdriven) book and Aaron writes the greatest endings for all of them. (view spoiler)
Cale
The end wasn't as climactic as I was expecting, but it still gave good closure, often in surprising ways. There were many twists and turns I didn't expect, and character role switches that were surprising. There is a major moment in the burning remnants of the casino that is powerful, but Aaron takes the time to show where the characters go after that, giving us a more realistic end and not going for a happily ever after moment. I don't know that anyone got that, but after everything that has ha ...more
Neil Thomason
Finally finished Scalped after reading it on and off for a few years. Took a while to get into, first few volumes are really rough around the edges, but about a third of the way in you can tell Jason Aaron, RM Guerra and everyone else on the creative team clicked. Bittersweet ending and a classy payoff and a great story about finding your place in the world
Koen Claeys
Perfection, perfection, perfection...
By coincidence, I read these 10 trades during an emotionally difficult time but somehow this turned out to be the perfect reading material for this period in my life.
The bitter ending (what other ending could you expect ?) almost left me crying.
Alex Sarll
If you like crime stories, and haven't read much in the way of crime comics, then Scalped is the comic I'd recommend (though not this volume, which, as the title suggests, is the conclusion). Brubaker and Philips get all the love in this field, but for me their work, while great fun, tends to feel like pastiche, and (Sleeper and Last of the Innocent) aside, I never really invest in the characters. Whereas in this epic of dirty deeds on the reservation, and bad decisions never being forgiven, eve ...more
Michael
I am still digesting the ending and although I am a smidge disappointed I believe it's mostly because I did not want it to end. Certainly more satisfying then Preacher, Y, etc.

For a summation of my thoughts read the brief review in the notes of TPB book one.
Joel
I think it had a slow start, but a lot of the best stories do. Cannot recommend it enough, if you like your crime human, your tragedies all too common, and your nunchuks used sparingly.
Luc Varela
Tan recomendado, quizás Aaron es el Garth Ennis americano, quizás no, pero Scalped tiene de todo en 10 volúmenes con un arte impecable de R.M. Guera. Read it!
Donnie
Perfect cap to a brilliant story. I love this series so much and if I ever write anything half this good , I'd count myself lucky.
Dave Glorioso
I was slightly disappointed with the flow of this final book. It was exciting but I found the relationship Dash chose as odd. Yes, I get the 'new start' decision but...
Also, Lincoln too decisive to be as wishy washy as he was.
Although, I did like the final several pages and was happy with the outcome of my favorite people in the story.
The final books art was fair.

Overall, I would still say Scalped was one of my favorite reads.
There were many characters that I found captivating and the story was
Erica
Wow that was intense! I was thinking that there was nothing left to reveal of this sad tale. Boy was I wrong. Excellent ending that did not disappoint.
Kelly Paxino
Some great moments and the series wraps up the only way it can, but still seems quite disappointing.
Seamus O'Keeffe
Fully merits 5 stars, top notch story weaving and great character growth throughout. LOVED IT
  • DMZ, Vol. 12: The Five Nations of New York
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 13: Wilt
  • Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more
More about Jason Aaron...

Scalped (10 books)
  • Scalped, Vol. 6: The Gnawing
  • Scalped, Vol. 7: Rez Blues
  • Scalped, Vol. 8: You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • Scalped, Vol. 9: Knuckle Up
Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country Thor: God of Thunder, Vol. 1: The God Butcher Scalped, Vol. 3: Dead Mothers Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 1