Sweet Tooth, Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats

Sweet Tooth, Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats (Sweet Tooth #26-32)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,611 ratings  ·  83 reviews
As the mysterious Captain James Thacker and his crew man a deadly expedition, they will uncover secrets centuries old, but what does any of this have to do with Gus and Jepperd? Plus, while Jeppard, Singh and Gus make plans to head to Alaska, things start to deteriorate for the rest of the group back at the sanctuary!
Published November 6th 2012 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tooth, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Tooth, Vol. 5

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Sandman, Vol. 2 by Neil GaimanThe Sandman, Vol. 3 by Neil GaimanThe Sandman, Vol. 4 by Neil GaimanThe Sandman, Vol. 5 by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels for Non-Geeks
24th out of 34 books — 6 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreY by Brian K. VaughanHawkeye, Vol. 1 by Matt FractionThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman
Graphic Novels that are Quality
181st out of 343 books — 175 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
The first half of the book takes the story back to 1911 where a wealthy young Englishman goes in search of his brother-in-law who has disappeared after going to Alaska to spread the word of god to the native Eskimos. But what he finds in the snowy wasteland is the beginning of the end for humanity... Meanwhile back in the main storyline, Gus and Jepperd find out the real story behind the Evergreen Project.

The biggest problem I had with the book is in the first half of the book where it’s reveal...more
Peter Derk
You know what every apocalypse has? One big huge asshole who seems dead set on doing whatever the polar opposite of the protagonist is doing. Why? There's always got to be some asshole ruining the fun for everyone.

Apocalypse books are kind of all the rage right now, or maybe that's just starting to die down, but part of me wonders whether those kind of people would really show up? More to the point, who are all these crazy assholes they always get to hang out with them?

"Hey Pete, it's the apocal...more
Andy
Well, it hasn't really got much better - the first story, set in 'olden times' works well but aside from displaying the terrible British and their colonial attitude, the revelation is rather weak.

And then we skip back to present time and the story started in the previous volume is resolved in an entirely predictable manner. It should have been resolved last time round.

Given where we currently are I can't see how this is going to be tied up in one more volume without disappointing further. I may...more
MissAnnThrope
19 February 2013

Rating: * * * * 1/2

Sweet Tooth Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitats hits the ground running with the thrilling but tragic backstory of how the plague began over a century ago in Alaska. This gut-wrenching tale weighed heavy on me. It's unfortunate how human nature allows people to perform such terrible, evil acts. Initially, I wasn't too fond of the artwork in this story but soon grew to appreciate how this simplistic style accentuated the somber tone.

In a post-apocalyptic world, if it see...more
Josh
Jan 28, 2013 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Man, I just love this book! Still one collected volume coming out in June (the final 8 issues), but it'll be tough to not just try to get the single issues between now and then. I already want to reread the whole series, and if you haven't started, I'd recommend just waiting til June and devouring this all at once.

Volume 5 brings some great new insights, but if there was one flaw, it's that it happens too fast. But then again, Y the Last Man felt so repetitive at points, as they attempted to dr...more
Andy
Wow.... Lemire takes a break both from the current story and art style for the first third of this collection, bringing in one of my favorite new artists Matt Kindt (currently working on the incredible Mind Mgmt) to show us a bit about how this story started 100 years ago. I could not turn the pages fast enough. When Lemire brings us back to the present, the series' sense of urgency (that you previously thought was painfully urgent) gets ramped up to unimaginable levels. Good, messed up stuff.
Sara
We open this volume with some history behind the plague that wiped out much of the population. It was interesting to see where the author took it and brought in angry gods. After this, we jump right back into the previous storyline. Walter has shown his true colors and there is a rush to save everyone.

This series has been dark from the very beginning, but it's taken an even darker turn. There is so much more to learn about the story too, so I can't even imagine where this will end up.
Anchorpete
Jeff Lemire certainly shows his love of his homeland (Canada) in his work. Just look at his current work in Justice League United, and then there was his first graphic novel that he ever wrote, I forget the name of it but it featured a kid and a washed up hockey player in Canada. Do the details of that first trade sound familiar? They should, they are apart of the Sweet Tooth story as well. In this volume, we finally learn what the possible cause of the plague and the births of the hybrid childr...more
jess
I really liked how this dug deeper into both the mythology of the half-animal/half-child creatures and also how much BETRAYAL and DRAMA they fit in the modern day part of the story. I continue to be captivated by the dystopian relationships, characters and setting, and I especially love how an old hockey buddy can appear out of nowhere. I will definitely continue to read this series.
Jacquelyn
This is turning out to be such a compelling, complex, and sweet story. I can't wait to read how it ends.
Vincent
It was two NY Comic Cons (2012) ago when I heard Jeff Lemire speak about the eventual end of Sweet Tooth. It has been one of my favorite series and though it has been a while since I read Volume 4, things slowly started coming back to me as I read about Jeppard, Dr. Singh, Lucy, Sweet Tooth and the others. There's a well placed twist in the story here involving the inhabitant of the dam that they discover in Volume 4. It's difficult to discuss without dropping a spoiler, but I can say I wish the...more
Inês Silveira
Full series review. Individual book ratings at the end.

I'm a big comic book fan. Usually the tights and capes type, but I do read other things. The series I'm going to show you today is one of my favourite graphic novel runs of all time.
Sweet Tooth is Gus, a boy born after a big plague that killed a big portion of the world population. But Gus isn't a normal boy. He, like every other child born since the plague, has animal features.
In Gus's case, he's half a deer:
 photo jeff-lemire-2_zpsa81ef0a4.jpg
All the animal children are immu...more
Andrew
Finishing Sweet Tooth Vol.5, I was left feeling a little empty. In a flashback prologue, the origins of the plague are hinted in the story of a 1911 English expedition to Alaska. The mythology of the plague is deepened in this section, but, because I was eager to revisit characters I knew, I didn't connect with the section as emotionally as I could have. Matt Kindt provided the art for this portion of the book, and his characters lack the expressive emotion of Jeff Lemire's renderings of Gus, Je...more
Aaron
It's unfortunate how quickly I consume volumes of Sweet Tooth. I can't imagine reading it monthly, waiting 30 days between each small segment. Part of the amazing thing about this series is how well Lemire tells the story with art instead of words. There will be large sections where characters barely speak, but they emote as well off the page as an actor on the screen. This style coupled with the infinitely compelling story cause me to fly through these at lightning speed. I think I read this wh...more
Vincent Desjardins
Volume 4 (Endangered Species) of the Sweet Tooth series was amazing and I was disappointed when it came to an end. I couldn't wait to know what was going to happen to Gus, Mr. Jeppard, Becky, Lucy, Wendy and Bobby. So, I must admit I was a little disappointed when I began Volume 5 (Unnatural Habitats) only to discover that the story starts with all new characters in a three-part flashback (collectively titled "The Taxidermist"). The flashback, set one hundred years ago, relates a tragic story th...more
rastronomicals
Carl Walker
This is the perfect series to read by checking out volumes from the library, because the pacing, while effective as a read, would drive me nuts if I was paying hard-earned money for each collection (nevermind each issue!). The flashback story illustrated by Matt Kindt (3 issues) seems a bit overlong but is compelling in retrospect if hardly original. I guess that could apply to the entire story so far, but the plot certainly keeps you reading in a potboiler sense, at least. The panels flow effec...more
Shane Perry
This volume starts out with a three issue story which takes place in 1911 and adds a few more clues about what exactly is going on in this world. Afterwards, we are back to the main conflict. I feel like this volume is a bit repetitive of volume 3. Everyone is separated, some people are trapped, and others go to the rescue. It's a bit disappointing that the twist with Walter was so obvious. Lemire develops the characters well, but the situations surrounding them are a bit too familiar. A first m...more
Eric England
The fifth volume of the Sweet Tooth comic book series invokes some of the tone and storytelling techniques found in the Godfather Part II. I loved the interplay between the past and present narrative arcs. The story of the "Taxidermist" gives the reader new insights into the origins of the plague and the hybrids that define this dark future fantasy world. I really like the idea and reasoning behind the chaos, very chilling and underlaid with tough moral choices. Really looking forward to seeing...more
Todd
This volume started out in a way that made me groan. An old story told as background featuring none of the current characters. THEN I actually started to care about the characters in this small story.

Then we got back to the craziness that is Sweet Tooth. It continues to be heartfelt and suspenseful. Sweet Tooth grabs his destiny here. He finally stands up to the people carting him around and says that he's making his own path. It finally happens.
Meaghan
The first part of the story takes place in the Arctic in the early 20th century and reveals some strange and potentially important information about the possible origins of the plague. I will be interested to see how that plays out at the conclusion of the series.

We then rejoin Gus, Jepperd, and the rest of the group as they deal with shady characters and betrayals. There's quite a bit of action in this volume, though not a lot of forward movement in the story as everyone essentially ends up bac...more
Atiya
I have enjoyed this series so far. The art is beautiful, full of despair and desolation and the overall effect is that of The Walking Dead meets Camus's The Plague. However, this one was lacking in terms of plot development. It is far too contrived and it seems like huge coincidences happen out of nowhere. The first four were brilliant but this one, was too heavy on the pseudo-Biblical references.
Shannon Appelcline
The Taxidermist (26-28). It's tricky to tell a side story like this and keep it compelling. Indeed, this story drags for about half its length until you get to that "oh, yeah!" moment when you realize how everything comes together. There's some good storytelling here and a great climax and reveal, but too much setup. Oh, and the art by Matt Kindt is phenomenal [6/10].

Unnatural Habitats (29-32). Our main story's big problem is ... that it feels like a side story, a sort of unnatural hiatus in the...more
Emily
oh jeez, this one was so violent and sad... ruined my lunch hour, i didnt know if i wanted to cry or rage... damn you lemire...

In Unnatural Habitats we find out the origins of the sickness and they are not at all what we thought they were (or at least what we've been shown doesnt match what we were told to expect, but i can see more coming down this pipeline). Gus and Jeppard and Singh are going to leave the group to travel to Alaska but when Jeppard hears that the girls might be in trouble he...more
Pilar Moulaert
This was very very awesome although the messed up bits were on the high end of the disturbing meter. I a glad that some of the characters dead though. I always think it's important to kill some.
Michael Church
And this book is back in stride! This volume includes two story arcs, one in the past which hints at some intense history for the overall story. The second arc continues with the progression from volume 4. The story brings us back to the core characters and examining what makes them tick. It's also got some great action for what's next. Things change a lot, the pacing is great (though a little slow in the Taxidermist), and you end the book knowing the conclusion is going to be epic.

The art cont...more
Elisa
Finally we get some background, and I like that it's open to some interpretation. I literally could not put this down. The ending is such a heart breaker tho
Denele
Not really a fan of the art at the beginning, and there are a few too many cliches. Hoping the last book in the series turns things around.
David Mcangus
The opening three story ark to this volume was some of the best work in the series in my opinion. It captures the same isolation and uncertainty as Dan Simmon's The Terror, and expanded the narrative a lot further than I originally thought the series would go. The sections after this, while missing some of the intrigue from the previous volume. Still keep everything running along smoothly and building the relationship between reader and characters.

As soon as I noticed my myself thinking "I'm go...more
Talk Comix
A solid read but the weakest of the sweet tooth books plotwise and storytelling. Doesn't take away from the fact that jeff is awesome and this is a great series
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Scalped, Vol. 8: You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 2: The Futurist
  • Punk Rock Jesus
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.
More about Jeff Lemire...
Sweet Tooth, Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods Sweet Tooth, Vol. 2: In Captivity Animal Man, Vol. 1: The Hunt The Complete Essex County The Underwater Welder