National Geographic 125 Years: Legendary Photographs, Adventures, and Discoveries That Changed the World

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Featuring show-stopping imagery and thrilling behind-the-scenes tales, National Geographic 125 Years captures the heart of National Geographic's fascinating history, from its earliest days as a scientific club to its growth into one of the world's largest geographic organizations. The book reveals how much we've come to know about our fascinating world through the pages an...more
Published November 6th 2012 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about National Geographic 125 Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic 125 Years

Love National Geographic magazine and this book is filled with stunning pictures I love picking it up every now and then and flipping through it
Natalia
National Geographic es una revista, pero también es un canal de televisión, pero es mucho más una sociedad encargada desde hace 125 años de enseñarnos el mundo en todas sus dimensiones, nos ha permitido conocer cosas que no pensábamos que podrían existir como tribus perdidas en el interior de selvas que apenas han sido influenciadas por el mundo occidental, animales raros, animales no tan raros que nosotros hemos visto en zoos pero que ellos nos han enseñado en estado salvaje.

Pero hay otra cosa...more
Aspasia
This is an amazing "coffee table" book that should be read by lovers of history, archaeology. travel, adventure, geography, journalism, and photography....

National Geographic (or NatGeo) is an American icon but I'm sure many Americans don't know the roots of this classic and elegant magazine: The National Geographic Society had humble beginnings as an academic and exclusive society of Washington, D.C's intellectual elite. The need for funds and an increased subscription base broadened the subscr...more
Amadeus
Oh to live a thousand lifetimes to witness all the history, visit all the places, meet all the people. Like any National Geographic publication, this book will leave you with that sentiment and believing that it is indeed a wonderful world.
Read Ng
Feb 03, 2013 Read Ng added it
Shelves: history
A great "coffee table" book. Small short segments you can pick up and read for ten minutes, put it down for a day or so, and later pick it right back up and go at it again. What is there not to like? Well, it is pretty hefty, so your muscles get a good workout.

A good short history of the National Geographic Society. So many of the photos you will remember from years of reading the magazine. How do you condense 125 years of history into one book? This book is a great answer. I loved the bits and...more
Amy
A phenomenal history, told through the photographs taken by National Geographic staff. I really thought I would just browse this book, but I ended up reading it cover to cover. If you do check it out, and I HIGHLY recommend that you do, don't forget to "read" the index as there are photos here, as well!

P.S. Some of the places that these specialists have had to be in to get these shots is a-ma-zing!
Grace Best-Page
I loved it! The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that I could nick-pick about a couple of things, but I do highly recommend it. The text is very much worth reading, but if you just want to look at the pictures, well, you can't beat 'em!
Susan
The pictures in this book are exquisite.
Kelley Tackett
the one photograph that I wanted to find wasn't in there. Otherwise, a great coffee table book full of amazing pictures.
Jennifer (jenndawnp)
It was a little dense but the pictures were beautiful.
Ian
Jan 27, 2013 Ian added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read the photos ;-). The photos were very good.
Kanish
this a very interesting book i have ever found
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 28, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Merri Su
Merri Su marked it as to-read
Abdulrahman Al qassar
Abdulrahman Al qassar marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Edward Hermanson
Edward Hermanson marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Hannah Appleby-wineberg
Hannah Appleby-wineberg marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
To Timbuktu: A Journey Down the Niger Off the Map: Bicycling Across Siberia A Man's Life: Dispatches from Dangerous Places The Hard Way: Stories of Danger, Survival, and the Soul of Adventure Worlds to Explore: Classic Tales of Travel and Adventure from National Geographic