Start by marking “Almost Midnight: An American Story of Murder and Redemption” as Want to Read:
Almost Midnight: An American Story of Murder and Redemption

Almost Midnight: An American Story of Murder and Redemption

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The haunting true story of a triple murder in the Ozarks, two lovers on the lam, and a death-row inmate saved by the pope.
On a spring day more than ten years ago, sixty-nine-year-old Lloyd Lawrence was gunned down in rural Missouri. The shooter also turned his twelve-gauge shotgun on Lawrence’s wife and their paraplegic grandson. The crime took place in a region known mos
Published February 8th 2012 by Broadway Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Midnight

Janice
Feb 25, 2015 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost Midnight, by Michael W. Cuneo, is a well researched investigative documentary centering on a little known local boy turned outlaw whose execution is miraculous commuted by intervention from Pope John Paul II and Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan.

For anyone outside the southwest Missouri Ozarks, or not an advocate for the abolition of capital punishment, this journalistic gem might go unnoticed. Having lived in Greene, Taney and Stone Counties, where much of the saga unfolds, I found it intri
Js Stewart
May 16, 2014 Js Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Cuneo masterfully takes this worldwide news story and humanizes it with indepth profiles of the principle characters. Beyond the "just the facts" stories in the media, Cuneo lays out the twists and turns of Mease's struggle with his own demons that seemed destine to seal his fate. The story is told against the backdrop of the isolated and sometimes dangerous Ozarks and its hardscrabble culture of poverty, crime and straight-laced take no prisoners Pentecostal religion. An amazing story.
Rita
Jan 10, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is great! The book is so well presented. There's no author ego. There is obviously a lot of research of not only the crime but also the local, the culture, the politics, the religiousness, etc. It is framed out so the reader feels the moment, the heat, the paranoia etc. It has to be one of the best true crime books I have read. I would live to have the author rewrite some of the crap written about some really great cases!
Michelle Cleaver
Feb 07, 2016 Michelle Cleaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read this book because it happened in the area around where I grew up. My friends knew Darrell's sons. I found the book interesting.
Nelda
Apr 09, 2009 Nelda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because a friend I usually trust raved about it. It was the dullest book I've encountered in a long time--the true crime story about a murdered in Arkansas whose death sentence is commutued by the Gov at the request of Pope John Paul II. It reads like a journalist wrote it and my final thoughts were "who cares?"
Debbie
May 25, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about murder but it reads like a fiction book not like other true crime books. I found myself wanting to get to the end to see if everything happened the way I wanted it to,
Sue Callaghan
Aug 09, 2012 Sue Callaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written, a hard-to-put-down kind of book. You feel like you are getting to know each character very very well.... made me want to meet Darrell and Mary.......
Dourshan
Dourshan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jamil Jp
Jamil Jp marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Lacey
Lacey rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
JoAnn Eck
JoAnn Eck rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Shirley Trew
Shirley Trew marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Dixie
Dixie rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Mari Pressler
Mari Pressler marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Jwhite
Jwhite rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Diana
Diana added it
Feb 13, 2015
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Anne Blair
Anne Blair rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Amelia Osterud
Amelia Osterud rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2014
Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Nov 04, 2015
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Johnice
Johnice rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014