Start by marking “The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook: The Best Sweet and Savory Recipes for Every Occasion” as Want to Read:

Warm pecan-studded sticky buns; banana streusel muffins; passionfruit mousse served atop a thin layer of sponge cake and garnished with fresh raspberries; decadent chocolate cake layered and iced with smooth, elegant chocolate ganache; red velvet cupcakes; and foccaccia flavored with fresh herbs and topped with tomato, mozzarella, and pesto—these are some of the mouth-wate ...more
Published March 14th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook

DixieJo
May 24, 2010 DixieJo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
one of my favorite cooknooks that I have read this year. Baking is my prefernce in the kitchen and this books covers not only the sweets such as cookie, cakes, custards and danish (etc); it also covers savory baking such as Tomato Cobbler, Pulled Pork Empanadas and Three Pepper Quiche (etc). It also has a great reference guide and glossery of ingredients if you are a not-to-familiar cook.
Patty Hopkins
Oct 21, 2012 Patty Hopkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first glance through this cookbook, and all it’s wonderful pictures and recipes, and I instantly gained five pounds! Apple Handpies, Raspberry Linzer Bars, SoNo Chocolate Ganache Cake, and Chocolate-filled Almond Macaroons are just the start of the wonderful, decadent recipes within the pages of this book. There are also recipes for Focaccias, Quiches, and breads!

The range of recipes not only gives wonderful choices on what to pick from, but ensures that within these pages, there is something
Linda
Sep 09, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-own
A third generation baker and owner of Sono Bakery in Connecticut, John Barricelli is also a familiar face on the Martha Stewart food shows.

The book is divided into chapters: 1) Muffins, Scones, Pastries, Breakfast Cake 2) Cookies, Brownies, Bars 3) Pies and Tarts 4) Cobblers and Crisps 5) Trifles, Mousses and Puddings 6) Cakes 7) Breads and Focaccias 8) Savories: Tarts, Quiches

An Italian heritage is reflected in the choice of recipes. Included are standards – muffins, chocolate chip cookies, che
Blarneygirl
May 29, 2010 Blarneygirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
I haven't tried anything from the book yet-but I just have to say that after comparing many recipes before, and being an avid baker myself, I can tell the recipes are top notch. The full color photos of almost every item are gorgeous, and this book includes recipes that you can find many (if any!!) other places, such as cheese danishes, molten chocolate cakes, miniature boston cream pie. They cover cookies, pies, cakes, breads, rolls, scones-the list goes on and on. They must have hundreds of re ...more
Melissa
May 21, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't drop a bunch of cash to actually buy this book, but it's definitely worth getting at the library. The photographs are fantastic, and there are a number of recipes that sound incredibly yummy, like the Tart Tropezienne or the French Blueberry Tartlets. Overall, this book contains a lot of fairly standard recipes that can be found in the Joy of Cooking or other baking standbys, but it's a really great source of eye candy.
KC
Apr 13, 2016 KC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, baking
This is the original daddy of baking cookbooks from John Barricelli who owns The SoNo Baking Company in South Norwalk, Ct. I have checked this book out multiple times from our library but recently have been more fascinated in making my own bread just like SoNo! After my daughter worked for John this past summer, our family will never go back to store bought bread! It's a shame that he does not have his rye recipe in this book, but the multigrain is to die for!
Azira Zainuddin
Feb 09, 2015 Azira Zainuddin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
It's a good baking book in terms of explanation and choices of variation of a recipe. I have yet to try any of the recipe, but definitely will do soon.

I would be better if each of the recipe were included with picture of a finished product. Sometimes it's hard to imagine how would it turn out to.
Just - The romance reader
I didn't get a chance to try any of the recipes, but I would love to try the following: Italian Rustic Bread, Uncle Bobby's Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Apple Handpies, and SoNo Chocolate Ganache Cake.

The breads look heavenly and the photos are great. Makes me want to visit the SoNo Bakery!
Ginny
Mar 14, 2010 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had the time and the expertise to bake everything in this book! Great recipes and pictures.
Douglas Hitzel
A few good recipes, but John leaves much to be desired in his articulating the baking process. Not a great resource for baking.
Nov 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I LOVE this cookbook. The pictures are beautiful, the recipes deeeeee-licious. Can't get enough of the blueberry muffins. Yum!!
Holly
Dec 08, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful pictures and the recipes look fantastic. this would be a nice gift for the baker in your life.
Mrs.
May 24, 2010 Mrs. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Great photos and tons of recipes that I want to try. I was not expecting much when I picked this book up, and I have been pleasantly surprised.
Jason
Jan 21, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The glossary at the back is really helpful. He was a good teacher on PBS and I was glad this book came out after the show quit production. His teaching style comes out in his book as well.
Jennifer Schmidt
Jennifer Schmidt rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
~elizabeth~
~elizabeth~ rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2012
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Ann Mayberry
Ann Mayberry rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Yasuko
Yasuko rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2010
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Marianthi
Marianthi rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Ambur Taft
Ambur Taft rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2010
Tania Craan
Tania Craan rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Ursula Gaines
Ursula Gaines rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Laureen
Feb 02, 2011 Laureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, favorites
i want this book!!!
Nezka
Nezka rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2010