Preemie: Lessons in Love, Life, and Motherhood

Preemie: Lessons in Love, Life, and Motherhood

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In her early thirties, Kasey Mathews had it all: a loving husband, a beautiful two-year-old son, and a second baby on the way. But what seemed a perfect life was shattered when she went into labor four months early, delivering her one-pound, eleven-ounce daughter, Andie.

The first time Kasey was wheeled into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), nothing prepared her for...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Hatherleigh Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Kathleen Ferrari
Preemie is unique and therefore the 'have to have" book for any family plunged into the roller coaster world of coping with the early arrival of their child. I have read books on premature babies written from a factual point of view. They are excellent if the reader's need is to learn about the medical and developmental hurdles facing these babies.

Preemie does address these factual concerns but it stands alone in that it exposes the feelings that surround the birth of these tiny babies, who up...more
Lenore Webb
So we start at the beginning. CG (for we do not know her new name) was born 3 months early. Yes, she was a Preemie. There was so much I did not know. What risks she was facing. What health concerns she may have in life. How and if she would grow. And what was all these tubes attached to her were for. It was a very scary time of life. Yes, she did grow....slowly. She did have some health concerns but none were long lasting. Thank God! And she gave me a life time of happiness to say the least. I w...more
Tricia Stream
My review: This is a must read for anyone who’s ever had life throw them a curve ball – not just preemie specific.

And don’t forget to breathe.

Kathryn Baker macdonald

This is amazing account of a woman's journey through fear, hope, and joy. As she watch her daughters way to early start to her life, turn into a rule breaking adventure that is Andy's life. She writes in a way that you feel the Roller Coaster of emotions that she and her family endured and in the end you get to feel the joy that is so hoped for. A great read that you just can't put down.
Dede Cummings
Preemie is a page turner! I read it in two days! Now, I think I may read it all over again. There are so many layers with which to identify with the mom, the dad, the relatives and friends! Though I did not have a premature baby, I had a very scary birth with my daughter, Emma, and Kasey writes eloquently and her own journey as a woman is compelling and transformative! Well done!
Nancy DeMarco
My friends know that I rarely love a book. I have limited time for reading, I'm hypercritical, and I have the attention span of a gnat. I picked this book up a year ago thinking I may never read it, because in general I don't enjoy nonfiction, and the story didn't seem like something I could relate to.

I was wrong. This book reads like fiction with its palpable sense of fear, guilt, and betrayal. The author's candor in relating her own unmotherly feelings holds up a mirror to anyone who's ever l...more
Carla
It was a book choice I made out of desperation the week that my own son was born prematurely and I needed someone else to relate to the experience. This fulfilled that in some ways (such as identifying with the author's thoughts of "what did I do to cause this?" regarding her preterm labor), but the author eventually found her encouragement and support largely from new age and mystic sources, and it made me incredibly more thankful to know Jesus and to have the inner peace and security that he p...more
Lisa
As the mom of a micro preemie, this book really hit home. Kasey Mathews has written a very honest account of the raw emotions that rip through your heart as you helplessly watch your child fight for each breath.
Mmhava
I read this book when twins, who were born at 28 weeks, were one year old. Reading this book both took me back and helped me to move forward. She put into words many of the emotions I was having while caring for my twins and two other young kids, and continue to deal with as I help my preemies develop. I think all parents of preemies would find this book helpful. It is nice to know that you aren't alone!
Lorrie Thomson
In Kasey Mathews’ memoir of her daughter Andie’s premature birth, the author’s emotional growth rivals her daughter’s physical triumphs. With remarkable candor, Kasey recounts moving from horror, disbelief, and the inability to connect with her child to becoming Andie’s staunchest advocate. Her story serves as I’ve-been-there-too comfort for any parent who’s had to face the challenge of a sick child.
Nicole
Kasey Mathews, thank you for writing this book and for sharing your story. My now 4 year old twins are NICU graduates and it still affects me to this day in so many different ways. I will never be the same person I was before they were born, and reading your story gave me so much inspiration to tackle the dark and difficult memories.
Deb Kelly
Very poignant book about the trials and tribulations about having a preemie. Having had a premature baby I cried and also celebrated her triumphs, a roller coaster ride I can totally identify with having lived through it myself. Great story with honest feelings. Highly recommend this book.
Colleen McLaren
Totally relatable and inspiring. Kasey wrote about the feelings I could not find the words to express myself. Also I was glad to have learned a thing or two or ten along the way.
Lisa Dicosimo
An absolutely heartwarming story about a family dealing with a very difficult subject.
Janet
Wonderfully and honestly written. I couldn't put it down.
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Tari
Tari marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kate Cohen
Kate Cohen is currently reading it
May 27, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Tanya Metzler
Tanya Metzler marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Heather Gates
Heather Gates marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Sara Morrison
Sara Morrison marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Kasey Mathews lives in New Hampshire with her husband, two children and English Mastiff, Meg.
More about Kasey Mathews...

“He listened, and then said simply, “So don’t ride the roller coaster. Ride the carousel instead. Some days will be up, some days will be down, but you’ll stay steady.” 0 likes