Start by marking “The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle, #1)

The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle #1)

From the author of Neverness comes a powerful new epic fantasy series. The Ea Cycle is as rich as Tolkien and as magical as the Arthurian myths. The world of Ea is an ancient world settled in eons past by the Star People. However, their ancestors floundered, in their purpose to create a great stellar civilisation on the new planet: they fell into moral decay. Now a champio ...more
Published September 16th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightstone

Jonathan
Aug 01, 2007 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed Zindell's previous books and waited a long time for this to come out in paperback, only to be very disappointed.

The first 100 pages were painfully boring as the book sets up very slowly, but it does get easier to read. Unfortunately it doesn't get better.

The book is a blatent mix of other fantasy books: the main character has a lightning bolt scar and an empathic link to the villain; the heroes quest for a magical cup (or grail) and get a magic sword from the "Lady of the Lake";
An Odd1
Sep 24, 2013 An Odd1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seventh son Valashu Elahad, narrator, recites poems and too well-proven adages from his father and grandfather "the enemy of my enemy may not be my friend". Val senses emotions, feels the pain of others dying - too much too often too boring - so sets off on a quest with two companions to bring peace to the land of Ea, threatened by immortal conqueror Morjin aka Red Dragon, Lord of Lies. A mythical golden cup of gold gelstei "Lightstone" will bring "the sacred light". Maram is fat, lusty, lazy, s ...more
Dennis Liggio
May 19, 2010 Dennis Liggio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mixture of Lord of the Rings + the Grail Quest with a smattering of Harry Potter and the light buddhism the author threw into his Neverness books. While this may sound an unfair way to start a review, there is a strong sense of "I've seen this all before" throughout the whole book, in some cases to the extent that you can predict what's next. Whether this is due to common myth archetypes and situations or due to this being extremely derivative is up to the reader. But there is som ...more
Claire
Feb 04, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sammy
Mar 28, 2016 Sammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads, fantasy, 2016
Many years ago, when my husband and I had only just met, he told me of a book series he'd just read, which had impressed him more than any other. This series was the Requiem for Homo Sapiens series by David Zindell.
He gave me them to read, and I understood why he'd been so impressed. The writing was beautiful. The story rich and detailed. A fantastic read all round.
So, when Zindell released a fantasy series, I pounced! While I love sci-fi, I prefer fantasy, and this really did not disappoint. T
Lindsay Stares
Jan 03, 2008 Lindsay Stares rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popcorn-fantasy
Wow. This book was intensely boring.
Because the world needed another bad Grail quest rip-off. It can't even wrap up the story in its 500-odd pages. I was only still reading at that point to see if the end would be worth it, and then it was "to be continued!" It felt like the first part of an RPG. First we collect the party members, then we collect each person's special power, then we get the Master Sword.

Oh, and if the description of the main character makes me burst out laughing on the subway
Alyssa
May 03, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I love it! :) And its just sad that many people do not have the patience to read the book. Its a brilliant novel; really dreamy and soulful, and if you took time to appreciate it, you"ll agree with me. That it IS fantastic!
Dominique
Dec 13, 2010 Dominique rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would not recommend this book to myself much less anyone else.
Shelves: fantasy
I found this book to be a lot of borrowed themes and ideas from other books. It sucked. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Ever. This book is just another one of those Let's go on a quest book. So unoriginal.
Sofia  Raftopoulou
Sep 23, 2013 Sofia Raftopoulou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was just getting more interesting and it just ended!
The "Lightstone" introduced me to another world with great history and magnificent places. Our protagonist was a kind, brave man it kinda reminded me of Aragorn!
Terri Rochenski
Aug 03, 2011 Terri Rochenski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I gave up after chapter 5. Yawn
Cam
Sep 29, 2011 Cam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Slow to start, but gets more interesting as progresses. Some characterizations too thin and alot of plot elements very common in the fantasy questing traditions, but I'll give the sequel a try.
Jessica
Oct 30, 2010 Jessica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mentioned in Writing the Breakout Novel.
Diane
Mar 27, 2009 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know... this one kind of bored me... and, seriously, the main character had a lightning bolt scar on his forehead--can we say Harry Potter?!!!!
Lily
May 14, 2012 Lily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really in the mood for this book, so I pushed through it. It really was very Lotr-esque.But not. I was in the mood for the quest template so I had moment of pleasure, but really ehh.
Sib
Sib rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Adrian Gill
Adrian Gill rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Spiros Kalimeris
Spiros Kalimeris rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Linda G
Linda G rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Amic Deep
Amic Deep rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2009
Iris
Iris rated it liked it
May 22, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Nathan Browning
Nathan Browning rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
M
M rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2014
Ана Хелс
Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Kynes
Kynes rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2009
Barbora
Barbora rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2011
  • Perseus Spur (Rampart Worlds #1)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • Northern Storm (The Aldabreshin Compass, #2)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • The Jonah Kit
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0 (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
  • Tunnel Through Time
  • The Mage-born Child
  • The Way Beneath (The Book of The Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Clockwork Traitor (Family d'Alembert, #3)
  • Zimiamvia: A Trilogy
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • A Blackbird in Silver (Blackbird, #1)
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • The Outcast (Time Master, #2)
  • The Face of the Waters

The Ea Cycle (5 books)
  • The Silver Sword (The Ea Cycle, #2)
  • Lord of Lies (The Ea Cycle, #3)
  • Black Jade (The Ea Cycle, #4)
  • The Diamond Warriors (The Ea Cycle, #5)