The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle, #1)

The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From the author of Neverness comes a powerful new epic fantasy series. The Ea Cycle is as rich as Tolkien and as magical as the Arthurian myths. The world of Ea is an ancient world settled in eons past by the Star People. However, their ancestors floundered, in their purpose to create a great stellar civilisation on the new planet: they fell into moral decay. Now a champio...more
Published September 16th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightstone

Jonathan
I really enjoyed Zindell's previous books and waited a long time for this to come out in paperback, only to be very disappointed.

The first 100 pages were painfully boring as the book sets up very slowly, but it does get easier to read. Unfortunately it doesn't get better.

The book is a blatent mix of other fantasy books: the main character has a lightning bolt scar and an empathic link to the villain; the heroes quest for a magical cup (or grail) and get a magic sword from the "Lady of the Lake";...more
Leanne Ellis
I like the way David Zindell writes. His characters are strong and three dimensional. His telling of the land and it's history moving.
What concerns me is a strong feeling of deja vu that I couldn't shake the whole time I read every 880 of it's pages. Maybe I have read too many other fantasy books? I will read the rest of The Ea Cycle books because I enjoy the old fashioned quest to save the world plot. And I want to find out how the author deals with a few things introduced in this first book.
Dennis Liggio
This book is a mixture of Lord of the Rings + the Grail Quest with a smattering of Harry Potter and the light buddhism the author threw into his Neverness books. While this may sound an unfair way to start a review, there is a strong sense of "I've seen this all before" throughout the whole book, in some cases to the extent that you can predict what's next. Whether this is due to common myth archetypes and situations or due to this being extremely derivative is up to the reader. But there is som...more
Claire
An Odd1
Seventh son Valashu Elahad, narrator, recites poems and too well-proven adages from his father and grandfather "the enemy of my enemy may not be my friend". Val senses emotions, feels the pain of others dying - too much too often too boring - so sets off on a quest with two companions to bring peace to the land of Ea, threatened by immortal conqueror Morjin aka Red Dragon, Lord of Lies. A mythical golden cup of gold gelstei "Lightstone" will bring "the sacred light". Maram is fat, lusty, lazy, s...more
Lindsay Stares
Wow. This book was intensely boring.
Because the world needed another bad Grail quest rip-off. It can't even wrap up the story in its 500-odd pages. I was only still reading at that point to see if the end would be worth it, and then it was "to be continued!" It felt like the first part of an RPG. First we collect the party members, then we collect each person's special power, then we get the Master Sword.

Oh, and if the description of the main character makes me burst out laughing on the subway...more
Alyssa
Well I love it! :) And its just sad that many people do not have the patience to read the book. Its a brilliant novel; really dreamy and soulful, and if you took time to appreciate it, you"ll agree with me. That it IS fantastic!
Dominique
Dec 14, 2010 Dominique rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would not recommend this book to myself much less anyone else.
Shelves: fantasy
I found this book to be a lot of borrowed themes and ideas from other books. It sucked. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Ever. This book is just another one of those Let's go on a quest book. So unoriginal.
Sofia  Βιβλιοφάγος
It was just getting more interesting and it just ended!
The "Lightstone" introduced me to another world with great history and magnificent places. Our protagonist was a kind, brave man it kinda reminded me of Aragorn!
Cam
Slow to start, but gets more interesting as progresses. Some characterizations too thin and alot of plot elements very common in the fantasy questing traditions, but I'll give the sequel a try.
Lily
I was really in the mood for this book, so I pushed through it. It really was very Lotr-esque.But not. I was in the mood for the quest template so I had moment of pleasure, but really ehh.
Diane
I don't know... this one kind of bored me... and, seriously, the main character had a lightning bolt scar on his forehead--can we say Harry Potter?!!!!
Jessica (j*&p*)
Mentioned in Writing the Breakout Novel.
Jon
Sep 26, 2007 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every sci-fic. fan
8.8 out of 10 : historical sci-fic. story
Terri Rochenski
I gave up after chapter 5. Yawn
Kristen
A little predictable.
Kalyn
Kalyn is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Ray Kohler
Ray Kohler marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Fampohl
Fampohl marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Choko
Choko marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Stefan Zoepfgen
Stefan Zoepfgen marked it as to-read
Sam Graham
Sam Graham marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Perseus Spur: An Adventure of The Rampart Worlds
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • Into the Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • The Ruins of Myth Drannor (Pools #4)
  • The Imperial Stars (Family d'Alembert, #1)
  • The Face of the Waters
  • The Outcast (Time Master, #2)
  • Dissension (Magic: The Gathering: Ravnica Cycle, #3)
  • The Crimson Sword (The Legend of Asahiel, #1)
  • The Book of the Dead (Secret Books of Paradys, #3)
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
Neverness (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #0) The Broken God (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #1) The Wild (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #2) War in Heaven (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #3) The Silver Sword (The Ea Cycle, #2)