Start by marking “Just Right for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Just Right for Christmas

Just Right for Christmas

In this celebration of the joy of giving, one snowy Christmas eve, a king buys some soft, red cloth to make the perfect Christmas gift for his daughter. Little does he know that the left-over cloth will be used to make presents for many more of the kingdom’s inhabitants, right down to the last teeny bit of cloth which is made into a scarf just right for a mouse.
Published September 11th 2012 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about Just Right for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Right for Christmas

Kathryn
3.5 STARS

A cute story along the lines of "one man's trash is another's treasure" though I think the similar Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree is the superior book. Here we start with a king shopping in the market for fabric for a robe for his daughter (seems a rather unlikely scenario, but I'll go with it). The left over fabric is placed on the back step, and one of the castle maids finds it and decides that it will be "just right" for a coat for her mama. So, she takes it and makes the coat, then
Barbara
As in the case of Joseph Had a Little Overcoat which he kept cutting up to make smaller and smaller objects, making sure that he got some use out of its material, this picture book shows how humans and animals in one kingdom can benefit from a piece of red cloth. After a cloak is fashioned for the princess, the scraps are left outside for anyone who wants them. There's enough leftover material for a jacket, a hat, gloves, and a scarf. The mixed media illustrations are filled with vibrant colors, ...more
Amy
Dec 09, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute with a CAPITAL C! Storyline adorable! Illustrations equally adorable! What I loved about this story was the fact that everyone got a gift that was absolutely perfect for them from the remainder of someone else's gift. And the joy and careful thought of the giver is totally poured out through the illustrations! My kindergartners will love to say the repeated "snipped and sewed, snipped and sewed" along with me as I read. Precious!
Trevor La pay
Feb 19, 2015 Trevor La pay rated it did not like it
Last night I decided to read the children's book "Just Right for Christmas" to my daughter. (I keep reading her the same 4 books, so I had to dip into the Christmas gift stash.)

In the book, a king decides to make a grand cape out of expensive, luxurious red linen. He tells his happy servant (slave? serf?) to create the cape and toss the leftover material away. The leftover material winds up in the hands a local merchant woman, who uses it to make a dress. She tosses the remainder out, which is t
Kamillah
Dec 23, 2013 Kamillah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just Right for Christmas is a cute Christmas story with a subtle message about resourcefulness and giving. I enjoyed the contemporary animal illustrations, and the the prose has a repeated refrain ("snipped and sewed and snipped and sewed") that makes this book great for a Christmas readaloud.

The story begins with a king who purchases a bolt of beautiful red fabric for his daughter's gown; once it is completed the dressmaker leaves the fabric remnants on the back steps where they are promptly s
Christine Ridout
Feb 15, 2013 Christine Ridout rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big-winner
I love this book. It is a beautiful story about giving to people you love. A king finds a bolt of beautiful red cloth in the marketplace and buys it to make a Christmas cloak for the princess. When the cloak is finished, the sewing maid puts the fabric scraps on the back step where Jenny, the kitchen maid, finds them. She takes them homeand makes a lovely Christmas jacket for her mother. She also puts the scraps out on the back steps where Bertie Badger finds them. He uses them to make a Christm ...more
Dolly
Nov 08, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2012
I just loved this story about a piece of fabric that is used, and the scraps left for someone else over and over until every little bit is used. The narrative is repetitive and helps to explain the power of reusing and recycling our scraps and leftovers. The illustrations are colorful and so adorable. We really enjoyed reading this book together and our youngest chose this book to share with her classmates at school on this last school day before Christmas.
Kelli
May 23, 2013 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print-motivation
This is a delightful story about a royal purchase of red cloth for a Christmas present for the princess. The scraps are left at the back door. They are found by a working woman, who carries them home, makes a gift for a beloved family member, then places the scraps at the back door. Where, of course, they are found. . . on Christmas morning many around town open up just the perfect gift, all from the red cloth.
Angie
Oct 06, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Love the illustrations best of all. The story's not a new one ... others benefit from what the first owners think were useless scraps. (I sort of almost wish that the original owners shared ON PURPOSE.) But the frame of the story, with the different animals and such. Cute. And the pictures. Did I mention the pictures?
Emi
Dec 16, 2013 Emi rated it it was amazing
What a perfect Christmas book that shows how even scraps are useful to others, over and over again. Very heart warming… the pictures would have been even better if it were in shades of grey with just the red color standing out.
Bethany
Dec 06, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it
Darling little secular tale about the joy making and giving gifts. Cute illustrations and repetitive text make it prefect for reading with preschoolers.
Edit: Just read Mr Willowby's Christmas Tree and realized this is a blatant ripoff. I like this one better, though, so...
Brindi Michele
Jun 14, 2013 Brindi Michele rated it really liked it
This book is about "one man's trash is another man's treasure," with one piece of red cloth and it's scraps being transformed into clothing from the king's daughter to Billy the mouse. Too cute and Christmassy!
Angela
Jul 02, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended for the many fans of MR. WILLOWBY'S CHRISTMAS TREE. This has the same plot and message, but features a piece of red cloth that is used and the discarded amount enjoyed by smaller and smaller users.

The illustrations make this one remarkable.
Theresa
Jun 27, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Adorable. The story begins with the king having a beautiful cloak made from red, soft, beautiful material. The scraps are discarded, but picked up and used by others to create lovely Christmas presents.

Wonderful story.
Michelle
Sweet Christmas story with woodland animals. Text heavy, but would be ok for an older story time group.
Leslie
Dec 21, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, holiday
This reminded my students of Mr Willoughby's Christmas Tree. I love when they make those connections!
Nikki
Nov 26, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
My 4 year old loves this book. It focuses on giving for Christmas and has the principle of 'one mans trash is another mans treasure'.
Cheryl Annie Doucette
I just LOVE this book!
Carrie Gelson
Dec 12, 2012 Carrie Gelson rated it liked it
Sweet story about giving and using what you need. Reminded me of Something from Nothing by Phoebe Gilman.
The Book Box
Dec 20, 2015 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me this afternoon. It reminded us of Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree.
Tina
Dec 14, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
Super cute illustrations to a very sweet story. Picked it off the shelf when I saw that last name of the author. Curiosity lead us to a good read.
Keshia
Nov 27, 2015 Keshia rated it really liked it
Shelves: andrew-s-read
Worth purchasing.
Mindy
Nov 05, 2012 Mindy rated it liked it
This is a lovely look at the holiday season and sharing what you can't use.

I will be adding this to my non-religious Christmas books list.
Sara Harrison
Dec 09, 2013 Sara Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, christmas
This is a really sweet book about the Christmas spirit and giving. No Santa or consumer excess in sight!
Vicki
Dec 11, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it
A very sweet book on sharing and giving at the holiday season. There is a repetitive phrase that the children picked up on and it makes for wonderful audience participation.
Julie
Jan 11, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
adorable. just like mr. willowby's christmas tree, one of my favs.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: ?

Elementary: E BLA

Find out how far scraps of precious fabric and some heartfelt love can go this Christmas season.
Melissa
Jan 21, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
An enjoyable cross between Mr Willoughby's Christmas Tree and Joseph Had a Little Overcoat. I liked the last spread, with everyone enjoying their new gifts out skating together.
Dana
Sep 27, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Sweet holiday story. Love that everyone finds a use for someone else's trash.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Librarian's Night Before Christmas
  • Night Tree
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Santa Calls
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • A Small Miracle