Start by marking “Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It’s fast becoming a geek world out there, and all moms need to show off their tech smarts and superhero-like skills in order to keep their savvy kids entertained and engaged. Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families explores the many fun and interesting ways that digital-age parents and kids can get their geek on together. Imaginat ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Mom

Samuel
I'm a dude, and previously have enjoyed the Geek Dad project books very much. The Geek Mom book is another animal, with a different approach and contents, but one that ultimately I think even more highly of. The Geek Dad books are almost entirely project-focused: a few pages of a project, followed by another project, on and on. There are some good projects and recipes in the Geek Mom book, but the book also adds more than this, it helps inspire both in its adult reader (of either gender, I must ...more
Thien-Kim
Never have I been so proud to be a geek mom. In my school days, the term geek was not used an a compliment (along with nerd), but I think I need a badge that reads, "Proud Geek Mom." With my professed love for Dr. Horrible and Buffy the Vampire's musical episode, it's safe to say that I"m a card carrying member of the club.

Thanks to the new book Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families, I can share my geeky passions with my kids. The book is co-written by
Michelle Cristiani
I like the Geek Mom blog pretty well, but like many blogs-turned-books, this one seems like a lot of filler and not enough substance. The book is mostly targeted to the larger audience - geeks have something to offer everyone! And in doing so, it falls short for someone like me. It preaches to the choir. And then every once in a while, there will be a monologue about how to talk to non-geek moms. The book has to make up its mind who it's talking to. I also don't get why parents need books to rem ...more
Sara
Not what I hoped it would be. I thought it was a full book of activity and craft ideas. It was actually about 50% text, little sections by each of the authors explaining about different types of geekery and how that has to do with mom-ing, and then a couple of activity ideas in each section. I wasn't too interested in the activities either, especially because I have 3YO and most are for older kids.
Amanda
I read sections of this and skimmed the rest (was looking for Summer Reading inspiration); nifty ideas! Don't agree with everything therein, but that's what an open mind is for, yes?
Janelle
You don't have to give up RPG, video gaming, cosplay, comics, gardening, space camp, etc. just because you have kids. Bring them along! I have a past as a comic book geek and am married to a Geek Dad. When hunting up activities and projects I might try with my four year old, I find it easy to come up with cut & paste type projects, and harder to find things that are STEM oriented. All manner of geekery is celebrated here, though I think it's a little heavier on the tech/gaming geekery than f ...more
Beth
Glad I happened upon this in the library; glad I didn't buy it.
Bunny
This book is great in theory, not so much in delivery. Garden like a geek! Rocks like a geek! Music! Cosplay! Blank cards! Home schooling! It's like they tried to cram everything in as quickly as possible, to show hey, Geeks can be cool, too!

The problem is that this book is most likely going to be picked up by those same Geeks who actually kind of know about that already. And there's not much here for us.

::shrug:: My kid thinks wearing glasses makes her a "geek", so what do I know.
Meril
Book is if mom is a geek and wants to make her kids the same way. I am an SF and anime fan who doesn't do the con scene, and the Resident Kid isn't a geek supergenius, just a regular kid who likes science and nature. My first reaction to the book was that it was as if Donna Erickson watched too much bad skiffy. I'll just pick up some books of simple science experiments to complement the Erickson books I already have, as well as the young birder resources and various kid cookbooks.
Angie
This book would have been incredibly helpful if Christopher was a couple years younger. There were clever ideas for indoor games and science experiments. The information was still cool as something for me to use at a library program or with my nieces. I recommend it for parents who are geeky and embrace it!
C
This book would make a great gift for a geek-mom-to-be or one with little ones. Some of the stuff in there is downright off the charts wacky (don't blow up your microwave with the grape trick), but it'd make a fun conversation piece with some fun projects, ideas and things to talk about/try with the kiddos.
Rachel Cutler
I got it looking for ideas of things to do with my daughter. More than half of what is in the book I had already done with her. They all seemed pretty obvious for a mom who is also a geek. It seemed to be targeted to non-geek people married to geeks who need help with the kids who also turn out geeky.
Eirajel
Perfect for what I was looking for at the time. I knew I was a bit geeky but didn't really know how to transmits bits and pieces of my geekiness to my little girl. So there are tons of get great tips, crafts, experiments and recipes. Really helpful new hobbies to explore too.
Monique
Blog is better...book seemed more fluff then tips and/or projects.
Dec 03, 2014 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I feel like this is a book I should own, just so I can thumb through it at my leisure. It doesn't seem to do well on the Kindle...

But! I've got two projects marked as interesting and am excited to try them with my little!
Melanie Meadors
This is just a fun book :). Lots of great project ideas to do with the kids. I homeschool, and thought it provided lots of good starting points for larger research and learning experiences.
Kristie (fabk)
Wow! What a fantastic book! I can hardly wait until babe is old enough to start teaching him my geeky ways! Lots of great ideas in this book!
Angie
I wish I still had little kids. It would have been a blast to do some of the activities in this book.
Karen
Will be my go to book for the summer with my 3 boys
Erin
Jan 20, 2013 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
lots of original ideas and interesting information here.
Emilyn
Ideas and projects for sharing with young geeks.
Autumn
Lots of great ideas!
Cathy
Cathy added it
Aug 01, 2015
Lj Grummell
Lj Grummell marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Ashli Roller
Ashli Roller is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Talking Back to Facebook: The Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in the Digital Age
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • The Art of Tinkering
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
  • Introductory Calculus For Infants
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Understanding Manga and Anime
  • Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun
  • Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid They'd Ask): The Secrets to Surviving Your Child's Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens
  • God's Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World
  • Beware Dangerism!
  • White Bread: A Social History of the Store-Bought Loaf
  • Raising Lifelong Learners: A Parent's Guide
Natania Barron is a writer with a penchant for the speculative; she is also an unrepentant geek. Her work has appeared in Weird Tales, EscapePod, The Gatehouse Gazette, Thaumatrope, Bull Spec, Crossed Genres, Steampunk Tales, Faerie Magazine, and in a number of anthologies. Her work often incorporates Victorian aesthetics with magic and science fiction, treading between genres whenever possible. H ...more
More about Natania Barron...
Pilgrim of the Sky Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters Shotguns v. Cthulhu Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales of Challenging the Norm Steampunk Tales: Issue 4