3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It’s fast becoming a geek world out there, and all moms need to show off their tech smarts and superhero-like skills in order to keep their savvy kids entertained and engaged. Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families explores the many fun and interesting ways that digital-age parents and kids can get their geek on together. Imaginat...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2012)

Samuel
I'm a dude, and previously have enjoyed the Geek Dad project books very much. The Geek Mom book is another animal, with a different approach and contents, but one that ultimately I think even more highly of. The Geek Dad books are almost entirely project-focused: a few pages of a project, followed by another project, on and on. There are some good projects and recipes in the Geek Mom book, but the book also adds more than this, it helps inspire both in its adult reader (of either gender, I must...more
Thien-Kim
Never have I been so proud to be a geek mom. In my school days, the term geek was not used an a compliment (along with nerd), but I think I need a badge that reads, "Proud Geek Mom." With my professed love for Dr. Horrible and Buffy the Vampire's musical episode, it's safe to say that I"m a card carrying member of the club.

Thanks to the new book Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families, I can share my geeky passions with my kids. The book is co-written by...more
Michelle Cristiani
I like the Geek Mom blog pretty well, but like many blogs-turned-books, this one seems like a lot of filler and not enough substance. The book is mostly targeted to the larger audience - geeks have something to offer everyone! And in doing so, it falls short for someone like me. It preaches to the choir. And then every once in a while, there will be a monologue about how to talk to non-geek moms. The book has to make up its mind who it's talking to. I also don't get why parents need books to rem...more
Janelle
You don't have to give up RPG, video gaming, cosplay, comics, gardening, space camp, etc. just because you have kids. Bring them along! I have a past as a comic book geek and am married to a Geek Dad. When hunting up activities and projects I might try with my four year old, I find it easy to come up with cut & paste type projects, and harder to find things that are STEM oriented. All manner of geekery is celebrated here, though I think it's a little heavier on the tech/gaming geekery than f...more
Bunny
This book is great in theory, not so much in delivery. Garden like a geek! Rocks like a geek! Music! Cosplay! Blank cards! Home schooling! It's like they tried to cram everything in as quickly as possible, to show hey, Geeks can be cool, too!

The problem is that this book is most likely going to be picked up by those same Geeks who actually kind of know about that already. And there's not much here for us.

::shrug:: My kid thinks wearing glasses makes her a "geek", so what do I know.
Meril
Book is if mom is a geek and wants to make her kids the same way. I am an SF and anime fan who doesn't do the con scene, and the Resident Kid isn't a geek supergenius, just a regular kid who likes science and nature. My first reaction to the book was that it was as if Donna Erickson watched too much bad skiffy. I'll just pick up some books of simple science experiments to complement the Erickson books I already have, as well as the young birder resources and various kid cookbooks.
Angie
This book would have been incredibly helpful if Christopher was a couple years younger. There were clever ideas for indoor games and science experiments. The information was still cool as something for me to use at a library program or with my nieces. I recommend it for parents who are geeky and embrace it!
C
This book would make a great gift for a geek-mom-to-be or one with little ones. Some of the stuff in there is downright off the charts wacky (don't blow up your microwave with the grape trick), but it'd make a fun conversation piece with some fun projects, ideas and things to talk about/try with the kiddos.
Rachel Cutler
I got it looking for ideas of things to do with my daughter. More than half of what is in the book I had already done with her. They all seemed pretty obvious for a mom who is also a geek. It seemed to be targeted to non-geek people married to geeks who need help with the kids who also turn out geeky.
Eirajel
Perfect for what I was looking for at the time. I knew I was a bit geeky but didn't really know how to transmits bits and pieces of my geekiness to my little girl. So there are tons of get great tips, crafts, experiments and recipes. Really helpful new hobbies to explore too.
Monique
Blog is better...book seemed more fluff then tips and/or projects.
Melanie Rose Meadors
This is just a fun book :). Lots of great project ideas to do with the kids. I homeschool, and thought it provided lots of good starting points for larger research and learning experiences.
Kristie (fabk)
Wow! What a fantastic book! I can hardly wait until babe is old enough to start teaching him my geeky ways! Lots of great ideas in this book!
Angie
I wish I still had little kids. It would have been a blast to do some of the activities in this book.
Karen
Will be my go to book for the summer with my 3 boys
Erin
Jan 20, 2013 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
lots of original ideas and interesting information here.
Emilyn
Ideas and projects for sharing with young geeks.
Autumn
Lots of great ideas!
Claudia
Claudia is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Maja Greguric
Maja Greguric marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Kitten
Kitten added it
Apr 06, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kathy Ceceri is the author of activity books for kids and families including "Robotics" and "Geek Mom." She is also the Guide for Homeschooling.About.com.
More about Kathy Ceceri...
Robotics: Discover the Science and Technology of the Future with 25 Projects The Silk Road: Explore the World's Most Famous Trade Route with 20 Projects World Myths and Legends: 25 Projects You Can Build Yourself Discover the Desert: The Driest Place on Earth Making Simple Robots: Exploring Cutting-Edge Robotics with Everyday Stuff