Start by marking “Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It’s fast becoming a geek world out there, and all moms need to show off their tech smarts and superhero-like skills in order to keep their savvy kids entertained and engaged. Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families explores the many fun and interesting ways that digital-age parents and kids can get their geek on together. Imaginat ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Mom

Samuel
Dec 14, 2012 Samuel rated it it was amazing
I'm a dude, and previously have enjoyed the Geek Dad project books very much. The Geek Mom book is another animal, with a different approach and contents, but one that ultimately I think even more highly of. The Geek Dad books are almost entirely project-focused: a few pages of a project, followed by another project, on and on. There are some good projects and recipes in the Geek Mom book, but the book also adds more than this, it helps inspire both in its adult reader (of either gender, I must ...more
Thien-Kim
Oct 26, 2012 Thien-Kim rated it it was amazing
Never have I been so proud to be a geek mom. In my school days, the term geek was not used an a compliment (along with nerd), but I think I need a badge that reads, "Proud Geek Mom." With my professed love for Dr. Horrible and Buffy the Vampire's musical episode, it's safe to say that I"m a card carrying member of the club.

Thanks to the new book Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families, I can share my geeky passions with my kids. The book is co-written by
Michelle Cristiani
Mar 02, 2013 Michelle Cristiani rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft
I like the Geek Mom blog pretty well, but like many blogs-turned-books, this one seems like a lot of filler and not enough substance. The book is mostly targeted to the larger audience - geeks have something to offer everyone! And in doing so, it falls short for someone like me. It preaches to the choir. And then every once in a while, there will be a monologue about how to talk to non-geek moms. The book has to make up its mind who it's talking to. I also don't get why parents need books to rem ...more
Sara
May 30, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Not what I hoped it would be. I thought it was a full book of activity and craft ideas. It was actually about 50% text, little sections by each of the authors explaining about different types of geekery and how that has to do with mom-ing, and then a couple of activity ideas in each section. I wasn't too interested in the activities either, especially because I have 3YO and most are for older kids.
Amanda
May 01, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
I read sections of this and skimmed the rest (was looking for Summer Reading inspiration); nifty ideas! Don't agree with everything therein, but that's what an open mind is for, yes?
Katherine
Oct 02, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
May not be a mom, but I saw the name and decided to check it out. Interesting, funny - not sure how much is applicable for everybody.
Janelle
Mar 30, 2013 Janelle rated it really liked it
You don't have to give up RPG, video gaming, cosplay, comics, gardening, space camp, etc. just because you have kids. Bring them along! I have a past as a comic book geek and am married to a Geek Dad. When hunting up activities and projects I might try with my four year old, I find it easy to come up with cut & paste type projects, and harder to find things that are STEM oriented. All manner of geekery is celebrated here, though I think it's a little heavier on the tech/gaming geekery than f ...more
Beth
Jun 09, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Glad I happened upon this in the library; glad I didn't buy it.
Bunny
Sep 19, 2013 Bunny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-13
This book is great in theory, not so much in delivery. Garden like a geek! Rocks like a geek! Music! Cosplay! Blank cards! Home schooling! It's like they tried to cram everything in as quickly as possible, to show hey, Geeks can be cool, too!

The problem is that this book is most likely going to be picked up by those same Geeks who actually kind of know about that already. And there's not much here for us.

::shrug:: My kid thinks wearing glasses makes her a "geek", so what do I know.
Meril
Sep 01, 2014 Meril rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts, t
Book is if mom is a geek and wants to make her kids the same way. I am an SF and anime fan who doesn't do the con scene, and the Resident Kid isn't a geek supergenius, just a regular kid who likes science and nature. My first reaction to the book was that it was as if Donna Erickson watched too much bad skiffy. I'll just pick up some books of simple science experiments to complement the Erickson books I already have, as well as the young birder resources and various kid cookbooks.
Angie
Jan 30, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
This book would have been incredibly helpful if Christopher was a couple years younger. There were clever ideas for indoor games and science experiments. The information was still cool as something for me to use at a library program or with my nieces. I recommend it for parents who are geeky and embrace it!
C
Mar 13, 2013 C rated it really liked it
This book would make a great gift for a geek-mom-to-be or one with little ones. Some of the stuff in there is downright off the charts wacky (don't blow up your microwave with the grape trick), but it'd make a fun conversation piece with some fun projects, ideas and things to talk about/try with the kiddos.
Rachel Cutler
Aug 02, 2013 Rachel Cutler rated it liked it
I got it looking for ideas of things to do with my daughter. More than half of what is in the book I had already done with her. They all seemed pretty obvious for a mom who is also a geek. It seemed to be targeted to non-geek people married to geeks who need help with the kids who also turn out geeky.
Eirajel
Dec 19, 2013 Eirajel rated it really liked it
Perfect for what I was looking for at the time. I knew I was a bit geeky but didn't really know how to transmits bits and pieces of my geekiness to my little girl. So there are tons of get great tips, crafts, experiments and recipes. Really helpful new hobbies to explore too.
Monique
Jan 24, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Blog is better...book seemed more fluff then tips and/or projects.
Dec 03, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I feel like this is a book I should own, just so I can thumb through it at my leisure. It doesn't seem to do well on the Kindle...

But! I've got two projects marked as interesting and am excited to try them with my little!
Melanie R Meadors
Apr 10, 2013 Melanie R Meadors rated it really liked it
This is just a fun book :). Lots of great project ideas to do with the kids. I homeschool, and thought it provided lots of good starting points for larger research and learning experiences.
Kristie (fabk)
Wow! What a fantastic book! I can hardly wait until babe is old enough to start teaching him my geeky ways! Lots of great ideas in this book!
Angie
I wish I still had little kids. It would have been a blast to do some of the activities in this book.
Karen
Apr 11, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Will be my go to book for the summer with my 3 boys
Erin
Jan 20, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
lots of original ideas and interesting information here.
Emilyn
Feb 28, 2013 Emilyn rated it liked it
Ideas and projects for sharing with young geeks.
Autumn
Dec 10, 2013 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Lots of great ideas!
Katey Thompson
Katey Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Jessica Hutson
Jessica Hutson rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Barbara Holford
Barbara Holford rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Avienda
Avienda marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family
  • Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun
  • Talking Back to Facebook: The Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in the Digital Age
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • The Art of Tinkering
  • Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
  • Homeschooling: Take a Deep Breath-You Can Do This!
  • Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid They'd Ask): The Secrets to Surviving Your Child's Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens
  • Young at Art: Teaching Toddlers Self-Expression, Problem-Solving Skills, and an Appreciation for Art
  • The Joy of Physics
  • Understanding Manga and Anime
  • God's Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
Natania Barron is a writer with a penchant for the speculative; she is also an unrepentant geek. Her work has appeared in Weird Tales, EscapePod, The Gatehouse Gazette, Thaumatrope, Bull Spec, Crossed Genres, Steampunk Tales, Faerie Magazine, and in a number of anthologies. Her work often incorporates Victorian aesthetics with magic and science fiction, treading between genres whenever possible. H ...more
More about Natania Barron...