Start by marking “King Arthur's Very Great Grandson” as Want to Read:
King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Henry Alfred Grummorson is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson of King Arthur, one of the bravest knights to ever live. On the day Henry turns six years old, he wakes up early, mounts his trusty donkey, Knuckles, and goes out in search of adventure.

Along the way, he encounters a Dragon, a Cyclops, and a Griffin, but none of them will have "ado" with Hen
Published July 24th 2012 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about King Arthur's Very Great Grandson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

Callie Rose Tyler
Sep 10, 2014 Callie Rose Tyler rated it really liked it
Very cute, introduces children to various beasts from mythology. The art is very strange and unlike anything I've ever seen before. Some of the details in the scales and feathers and grass are amazing but then there are other aspects that look child-drawn, it was very strange but not unappealing.
Jenny
Jul 12, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
We just read Not Your Typical Dragon a few days ago,and my 5 year old quickly pointed out that both books contain dragons that aren't very typical. In fact, this book contains a dragon, Cyclops, griffin, and Leviathan that aren't very typical. And King Arthur's great grandson faces each of them bravely...and learns a valuable lesson along the way. Loved the story. The illustrations were not my favorite...nothing wrong with them, just not a style I found particularly pleasant....otherwise this wo ...more
Melissa
I love how the landscapes are detailed to match the monsters: the pointy blades of grass under the dragon's pointy scales, the oval rocks near the big-eyed cyclops, the feathery bark in the feathery griffin's tree, and the tentacle-y sea surrounding the Leviathan. Nice pacing and page-turns. The cartoony illustrations also keep this from being too scary for the storytime crowd. I also really appreciated that by the end of the book, after journeying through night and day, Arthur is now six years ...more
Andy
Jan 09, 2016 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautifully illustrated adventure story by author and illustrator, Kenneth Kraegel. I've read the book multiple times with my six year old, which he loved, because the main character turns six right at the beginning of the story.

I enjoyed how this book introduced my son to mythical creatures (a fire-breathing dragon, a cyclops, etc.) in a fun and non-frightening way. These beings populate many of the books he'll read as he gets older (The Chronicles of Narnia, The Harry Potter series,
Aylea
Nov 05, 2015 Aylea rated it really liked it
This review also published at The Children's Book and Media Review

Henry Alfred Grummorson was the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson of King Arthur and he wants to live up to that heritage. On the day that he turns six-year-old, he woke up early and went with his trust donkey, Knuckles, to find an adventure. He goes to fight a dragon, but the dragon wants to have a smoke ring competition instead of fighting, so Henry goes to try the Cyclops. The Cyclops just wants to have a stari
Susie Finkbeiner
Jul 27, 2012 Susie Finkbeiner rated it it was amazing
There aren't enough stars for this gorgeous picture book!

My kids are in love with this book. They have asked me to read it about 10 times since we received it in the mail yesterday. And, of course, I was more than happy to spend more time with this book.

The illustrations are vibrant, full of detail, happy-making. The story is heartfelt, fun, full of a great lesson. I love this book. I recommend it very highly.

Just lovely.
Ann
Henry Alfred Grummorson, great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson, aspires to be legendary like his ancestor King Arthur. When he turns six, he rides out with his trusty donkey on a quest against a foe. His journey would lead him to a Dragon, a Cyclops, a Griffin and the Leviathin. Instead of ferocious beasts and epic battles, he finds something he never knew he needed.
Elisabeth
Aug 18, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
I love how this is an adventure book for the younger guys - not too long or involved or complicated. I love the great language used and and a intro to some mythological monsters. It's very funny and just a fun, fun book. My boys loved it!
Sarah Adamson
A fun story book about King Arthur's Very Great Grandson. It begins with him turning 6 years old and starting our on his knightly adventures. He encounters a dragon, a cyclops, a griffin and a Leviathon - all of whom he challenges to battle. They all accept in their own way - smoke rings, a staring contest, chess and a greeting before the young knight explains that he wants a real battle.
A nice book exploring how much better it is to make friends instead of fight, to learn about each other inste
Melanie
Henry, the many great-grandson of King Arthur, on the morning of his sixth birthday, decides to pursue adventure. His first encounter is a dragon who offers smoke rings as a challenge. Henry declares he wants a rough adventure so the dragon sends him in search of the cyclops. The cyclops only offers a staring contest and sends Henry in search of the Griffin. The Griffin offers a chess game and so sends Henry in search of the Leviathan. The Leviathan greets Henry only to find him heading back hom ...more
Rosemary Sullivan
Jan 26, 2013 Rosemary Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Young Henry Alfred Grummorson is the great-great-great- great-great- great- great grandson of King Arthur. Yes, that King Arthur, the medieval hero and knight. Henry wants to be brave like his legendary ancestor. So on his 6th birthday, he rides off with his faithful donkey, Knuckles, in search of a quest. He wants to conquer enemies in battle just as King Arthur did, in this beautifully illustrated book.
But the creatures he encounters - a Dragon, a Cyclops, a Griffin and the feared Leviathan, s
Kim
Dec 06, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Grades K-2

When Henry Alfred Grummorson turns six years old, he knows it is time to follow in the steps of his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather King Arthur. He collects his sword and his horse and ventures out to do battle. Unfortunately, the days of "fights to the uttermost" and "tests of might and courage" seem to be a distant memory: the dragon challenges him to a smoke-ring blowing contest; the Cyclops wants to do a staring contest; and the Griffin pulls out a chess boar
Joella www.cinjoella.com
"Henry Alfred Grummorson was the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson of King Arthur..." That's 7 greats! On Henry's sixth birthday he wakes up, eats breakfast, and heads off for an adventure to fight a dragon. Of course the dragon isn't what Henry expects, so he goes off looking for more adventure. Many monsters later Henry discovers that he has had the best adventure of all without even knowing it.

This is a fun picture book. I like all the extra details--like learning that Henry
Alexis
Sep 06, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it
A very cute book! Intended for primary audiences with captivating illustrations. How can you describe "six years of manhood"? Arthur our young hero finds more than adventure on his quest to do battle and test his might. He finds a longer lasting adventure, one of friendship.
I enjoyed this book. It was very sweet and full of mystery because with each new creature i felt that Arthur had found his battle. So turning the pages kept me on the edge of my seat. The test was in bold when Arthur was talk
Post Defiance
Originally posted at http://postdefiance.com/seven-swans-a..., written by Timothy Thomas McNeely.

My kids and I read King Arthur’s Very Great Grandson recently, and we were all caught up in adventurous Henry Alfred Grummorson’s quest to challenge and destroy the greatest monsters he can find, only to be frustrated by their very gracious and polite counter-offers to conduct staring contests or play other games instead. They just want to be friends.

Rather than being overly cute, the engaging illust
Aug 22, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Terrific! This book is lots of fun. Henry Alfred Grummorson celebrates his sixth birthday by setting out in search of adventure. He envisions doing battle, looking danger square in the eye, and testing his physical prowess. But what he actually acquires is so much more. Follow along on King Arthur's Very Great Grandson's grand adventure.
Eva Best
Apr 04, 2016 Eva Best rated it it was amazing
Such a good book for early readers!! The pictures and story are great. This is a story about King Arthur's great, great, great.........great, grandson who goes on an adventure to defeat the same monsters his ancestor fought. It will get them to laugh and teach them that not all monsters are bad.
Amy
May 01, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
My five year old picked this one out at the library and I totally fell in love with this darling story. The main character wants to show how brave he is by fighting monsters, but none of them will fight with him because they are surprisingly nice. Seriously, too cute. And great illustrations, too!
Sarah Souther
Mar 13, 2014 Sarah Souther rated it really liked it
Henry Alfred Grummorson is very fierce. He also has a horse named Knuckles, which should be a clue about how this is all going to go. Things don't always go as you plan and friends can be found in all sorts of places. These are great lessons and monsters and armor make them more fun.
Barbara
On his sixth birthday, a descendant of the great King Arthur sallies forth in search of adventure. Seeking to prove himself worthy of his namesake, he challenges a dragon, a cyclops, a griffin, and a leviathan. While all four are monstrous in appearance, their demeanor is mild-mannered, and their challenges aren't what Henry expects. For instance, the cyclops begins a staring contest, and the griffin wants to play a game of chess. Although Henry's quest ends differently than he expected, he find ...more
Nancy
On his sixth birthday, Henry Alfred Grummorson, the great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson of King Arthur, sets off on a personal quest for adventure and he challenges mythological monsters (a dragon, Cyclops, griffin, and leviathan), each time with quite unexpected results. In the end, he earns something more valuable than the prizes that are usually awarded for fighting and chivalry. Beginning with his first challenge to the dragon (“BEHOLD. VILE WORM! I … CHALLENGE YOU TO A FIGHT ...more
Indra
May 27, 2014 Indra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: midieval-ren
This easy reader entertained my 8 and 10 year old and was a good kick off for our medieval unit. Says Amelia, "The main character reminded me of Charles Wallace because he is fearless, is the same age, and has the same hair, but the character in the book is not telepathic."
Sadie
Sep 14, 2013 Sadie rated it did not like it
I chose this book because the title and the cover illustration (a dragon and a knight) seemed very interesting. "King Arthur's Very Great Grandson" is about a six year old knight seeking physical challenges and adventure, but no one will duel with him. Instead, he discovers friendship. I did not like this book because the story was not entertaining in any way shape or form. The font and the colors are bright and exciting, but the story itself is not. The plot does not develop and the story line, ...more
Cat Fithian
Apr 15, 2014 Cat Fithian rated it really liked it
This would be excellent as creative dramatics or puppets. Very fun story with surprises for the kids, monsters that don't scare, etc. I would let the kids choose how the boy responds to Leviathan. Charming story.
Courtney Huskisson
When a six-year-old knight sets off to seek adventure, he finds it.

This is a super cute story about enemies and friends -- assuming to make an enemy when friendship is more fitting. This would be a fun story for story time; large pictures, enough dialogue, fairy-tale-like feel, etc.

So far, everything I've read published by Candlewick have been excellent.
The Brothers
King Arthur's very great (many times great) grandson Henry sets out on his sixth birthday for adventure and battle. He encounters many frightening creatures, but none of them want to to fight, they just want to be friends. Though disappointed by his lack of fisticuffs, Henry realizes that he wasn't just searching for adventure, but friendship as well.

Fun illustrations.
Rachel
May 29, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A 6 year old tries to fight a variety of foes but they are only interested in friendship or playing. Fun language but slightly didactic even though it is a sweet message of peace.
Allie
Dec 13, 2015 Allie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: morals
I would read it out loud because it talks about friendship in a very relatable way. It explains friendship through a imaginative plot. It will be an easy Segway for children to open up and respond. This book highlights the importance of friendship. We all need friends.
Deb
Aug 09, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
Cute. Art made me think book was published much earlier, not sure if because of the style of inking or the palette,
Meredith Henning
  • The Cloud Spinner
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • The Insomniacs
Kenneth Kraegel is a self-taught illustrator and writer. He was a CJ Picture Book Award Finalist and is a recipient of a Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Tomie dePaola Honor Award. Kenneth Kraegel lives with his wife and son in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he enjoys hiking, kayaking, and gardening.
More about Kenneth Kraegel...