Start by marking “King Arthur's Very Great Grandson” as Want to Read:
King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Henry Alfred Grummorson is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson of King Arthur, one of the bravest knights to ever live. On the day Henry turns six years old, he wakes up early, mounts his trusty donkey, Knuckles, and goes out in search of adventure.

Along the way, he encounters a Dragon, a Cyclops, and a Griffin, but none of them will have "ado" with Hen
Published July 24th 2012 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about King Arthur's Very Great Grandson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

Callie Rose Tyler
Very cute, introduces children to various beasts from mythology. The art is very strange and unlike anything I've ever seen before. Some of the details in the scales and feathers and grass are amazing but then there are other aspects that look child-drawn, it was very strange but not unappealing.
Jenny
We just read Not Your Typical Dragon a few days ago,and my 5 year old quickly pointed out that both books contain dragons that aren't very typical. In fact, this book contains a dragon, Cyclops, griffin, and Leviathan that aren't very typical. And King Arthur's great grandson faces each of them bravely...and learns a valuable lesson along the way. Loved the story. The illustrations were not my favorite...nothing wrong with them, just not a style I found particularly pleasant....otherwise this wo ...more
Melissa
I love how the landscapes are detailed to match the monsters: the pointy blades of grass under the dragon's pointy scales, the oval rocks near the big-eyed cyclops, the feathery bark in the feathery griffin's tree, and the tentacle-y sea surrounding the Leviathan. Nice pacing and page-turns. The cartoony illustrations also keep this from being too scary for the storytime crowd. I also really appreciated that by the end of the book, after journeying through night and day, Arthur is now six years ...more
Ann
Henry Alfred Grummorson, great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson, aspires to be legendary like his ancestor King Arthur. When he turns six, he rides out with his trusty donkey on a quest against a foe. His journey would lead him to a Dragon, a Cyclops, a Griffin and the Leviathin. Instead of ferocious beasts and epic battles, he finds something he never knew he needed.
Elisabeth
I love how this is an adventure book for the younger guys - not too long or involved or complicated. I love the great language used and and a intro to some mythological monsters. It's very funny and just a fun, fun book. My boys loved it!
Sarah Adamson
A fun story book about King Arthur's Very Great Grandson. It begins with him turning 6 years old and starting our on his knightly adventures. He encounters a dragon, a cyclops, a griffin and a Leviathon - all of whom he challenges to battle. They all accept in their own way - smoke rings, a staring contest, chess and a greeting before the young knight explains that he wants a real battle.
A nice book exploring how much better it is to make friends instead of fight, to learn about each other inste
Melanie
Henry, the many great-grandson of King Arthur, on the morning of his sixth birthday, decides to pursue adventure. His first encounter is a dragon who offers smoke rings as a challenge. Henry declares he wants a rough adventure so the dragon sends him in search of the cyclops. The cyclops only offers a staring contest and sends Henry in search of the Griffin. The Griffin offers a chess game and so sends Henry in search of the Leviathan. The Leviathan greets Henry only to find him heading back hom ...more
Rosemary
Young Henry Alfred Grummorson is the great-great-great- great-great- great- great grandson of King Arthur. Yes, that King Arthur, the medieval hero and knight. Henry wants to be brave like his legendary ancestor. So on his 6th birthday, he rides off with his faithful donkey, Knuckles, in search of a quest. He wants to conquer enemies in battle just as King Arthur did, in this beautifully illustrated book.
But the creatures he encounters - a Dragon, a Cyclops, a Griffin and the feared Leviathan, s
Kim
Grades K-2

When Henry Alfred Grummorson turns six years old, he knows it is time to follow in the steps of his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather King Arthur. He collects his sword and his horse and ventures out to do battle. Unfortunately, the days of "fights to the uttermost" and "tests of might and courage" seem to be a distant memory: the dragon challenges him to a smoke-ring blowing contest; the Cyclops wants to do a staring contest; and the Griffin pulls out a chess boar
Joella www.cinjoella.com
"Henry Alfred Grummorson was the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson of King Arthur..." That's 7 greats! On Henry's sixth birthday he wakes up, eats breakfast, and heads off for an adventure to fight a dragon. Of course the dragon isn't what Henry expects, so he goes off looking for more adventure. Many monsters later Henry discovers that he has had the best adventure of all without even knowing it.

This is a fun picture book. I like all the extra details--like learning that Henry
Alexis
A very cute book! Intended for primary audiences with captivating illustrations. How can you describe "six years of manhood"? Arthur our young hero finds more than adventure on his quest to do battle and test his might. He finds a longer lasting adventure, one of friendship.
I enjoyed this book. It was very sweet and full of mystery because with each new creature i felt that Arthur had found his battle. So turning the pages kept me on the edge of my seat. The test was in bold when Arthur was talk
Post Defiance
Originally posted at http://postdefiance.com/seven-swans-a..., written by Timothy Thomas McNeely.

My kids and I read King Arthur’s Very Great Grandson recently, and we were all caught up in adventurous Henry Alfred Grummorson’s quest to challenge and destroy the greatest monsters he can find, only to be frustrated by their very gracious and polite counter-offers to conduct staring contests or play other games instead. They just want to be friends.

Rather than being overly cute, the engaging illust
Amy
My five year old picked this one out at the library and I totally fell in love with this darling story. The main character wants to show how brave he is by fighting monsters, but none of them will fight with him because they are surprisingly nice. Seriously, too cute. And great illustrations, too!
Sarah Souther
Henry Alfred Grummorson is very fierce. He also has a horse named Knuckles, which should be a clue about how this is all going to go. Things don't always go as you plan and friends can be found in all sorts of places. These are great lessons and monsters and armor make them more fun.
Barbara
On his sixth birthday, a descendant of the great King Arthur sallies forth in search of adventure. Seeking to prove himself worthy of his namesake, he challenges a dragon, a cyclops, a griffin, and a leviathan. While all four are monstrous in appearance, their demeanor is mild-mannered, and their challenges aren't what Henry expects. For instance, the cyclops begins a staring contest, and the griffin wants to play a game of chess. Although Henry's quest ends differently than he expected, he find ...more
Nancy
On his sixth birthday, Henry Alfred Grummorson, the great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson of King Arthur, sets off on a personal quest for adventure and he challenges mythological monsters (a dragon, Cyclops, griffin, and leviathan), each time with quite unexpected results. In the end, he earns something more valuable than the prizes that are usually awarded for fighting and chivalry. Beginning with his first challenge to the dragon (“BEHOLD. VILE WORM! I … CHALLENGE YOU TO A FIGHT ...more
Indra Edmonds
This easy reader entertained my 8 and 10 year old and was a good kick off for our medieval unit. Says Amelia, "The main character reminded me of Charles Wallace because he is fearless, is the same age, and has the same hair, but the character in the book is not telepathic."
Sadie
I chose this book because the title and the cover illustration (a dragon and a knight) seemed very interesting. "King Arthur's Very Great Grandson" is about a six year old knight seeking physical challenges and adventure, but no one will duel with him. Instead, he discovers friendship. I did not like this book because the story was not entertaining in any way shape or form. The font and the colors are bright and exciting, but the story itself is not. The plot does not develop and the story line, ...more
Cat Fithian
This would be excellent as creative dramatics or puppets. Very fun story with surprises for the kids, monsters that don't scare, etc. I would let the kids choose how the boy responds to Leviathan. Charming story.
Rachel
A 6 year old tries to fight a variety of foes but they are only interested in friendship or playing. Fun language but slightly didactic even though it is a sweet message of peace.
Deb
Cute. Art made me think book was published much earlier, not sure if because of the style of inking or the palette,
Meredith Henning
Sean-Paul and I loved this super fun picture book by Kenneth Kraegel
Samantha
A brave 6 year old sets out to battle the land's most fearsome beasts and finds that each refers him on to the next beast for the adventure he seeks. The beasts are more friendly than ferocious whch makes for a humorous story. GREAT read aloud with all of the little boy's dialogue appearing in bold and caps and the beasts all calmly answering that they do not wish to battle. Artwork is colorful and the landscapes have more detail than the little boy or his donkey. Beasts are not scary. I think l ...more
Kacey Marshall
King Arthur's Very Great Grandson, written and illustrated by Kenneth Kraegel, is a humorous tale of Henry Alfred Grummorson, King Arthur's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson. Children can follow six year old Henry and his trusty donkey, Knuckles, as he goes off to battle a dragon, a cyclops, a griffin, and a leviathan. Instead of fighting, he learns about friendship. I really liked the illustrations as well, which were a great compliment to the text. They are very colorful and b ...more
Angela
Must read aloud! Can't wait to try this one out on my nehphews. It's a fun fractured fairy tale that reminds me of DePaola's The Knight and the Dragon. Whereas much of the humor in Depaola's story is found in the illustrations, in this book it's the language that really sets it apart. The illustrations are great and the encounters with mythical creatures are memorable.

Recommended for schools, libraries, as a gift for young boys and for group storytelling everywhere.
Susie Finkbeiner
There aren't enough stars for this gorgeous picture book!

My kids are in love with this book. They have asked me to read it about 10 times since we received it in the mail yesterday. And, of course, I was more than happy to spend more time with this book.

The illustrations are vibrant, full of detail, happy-making. The story is heartfelt, fun, full of a great lesson. I love this book. I recommend it very highly.

Just lovely.
Rebecca Ann
I love this fantasy story about Arthur's grandson (6 yrs old) hunting for a quest, trying to find creatures to fight. the dragon wants to blow smoke rings, the Cyclopes wants to have a staring contest, the griffin wants to play chess and the leviathan wants to hang out lol. Instead of foes, he finds friends. a great storytime selection that little boys will enjoy! Rich, quirky illustrations with lots of detail and color.
Erica - Bonner Springs Library
What a fun book! King Arthur's great-great-great grandson, Henry, wakes up on his 6th birthday ready to defeat a dragon. He goes out with his sword blazing and the dragon isn't ready to fight. Henry goes on to meet a cyclops, a griffin and a leviathan and none of them put up much of a fight.

I can't wait to tell this one to a group of elementary school kids. I think it's a great one to adapt for storytelling.
Adriel
we love this funny book about a 6 year old boy who wants an epic battle but continually finds creatures who want to play games.
Erica

• hello! hello!
  • Vampirina Ballerina
  • The Tooth Mouse
  • Boot & Shoe
Kenneth Kraegel is a self-taught illustrator and writer. He was a CJ Picture Book Award Finalist and is a recipient of a Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Tomie dePaola Honor Award. Kenneth Kraegel lives with his wife and son in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he enjoys hiking, kayaking, and gardening.
More about Kenneth Kraegel...
The Song of Delphine