The Legend of Huma: Heroes, Book 1

The Legend of Huma: Heroes, Book 1 (Dragonlance: Heroes #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  10,577 ratings  ·  99 reviews
¿Quién no recuerda las aventuras de los compañeros de la Crónicas de la Dragonlance en el Muro de Hielo cuando descubren la escultura que representa un Caballero Solámnico con un trozo de lanza en su mano?

Pues bien, ahora el lector de la mano de Astinus de Palanthas, se remonta en el tiempo muchos, muchísimos años atrás para conocer la vida de Huma, el caballero de Solamn...more
ebook
Published April 17th 2012 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Huma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Huma

Tony
Apr 30, 2014 Tony rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dragonlance fans only
A very bland heroic fantasy, lacking intrigue or excitement.

Perhaps I didn't enjoy this simply because I have very limited knowledge of the Dragonlance world. Or perhaps I didn't enjoy it because the plot just plodded along from one scene to the next, with nothing outstanding grasping me. I disliked how the minotaur and dragons were both very chatty; it really destroys the mystery of those creatures - but I understand Knaak was attempting to humanize the minotaur.

I found Huma's "honor" to be bo...more
Rey Mysterioso
This was a great exploration of the fabled legend of Huma of the Lance.

The lowly Knight who saved the world in the ancient times, so that by the time Sturm Brightblade takes up his own sword, Huma is that world's Lancelot.

But Huma isn't Lancelot. He is human and frail and weak and terrified. He shows that he really IS a legend, because he is unsure and scared and does whatever is needed, no matter the cost.

He shows that heroism isn't pretty, but its real.
Evan Leach
A hidden gem, and one of my absolute favorites growing up. A ton of books were cranked out under the Dragonlance label in the 90's, and many of them were barely worth the paper they were printed on. But a few were very good, and The Legend of Huma was the best of them. Knaak delivers an epic, thrilling fantasy story that's simply an enormous amount of fun. 4.5 stars, highly recommended!
Jasmyn
8.The Legend of Huma by Rihard A. Knaak
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 379
Acquired: Prior to 1999
Book of Your Shelf? Yes
Why I have/read it: Part of DragonLance world (rereading all)
Series: DragonLance, Heroies (1)

Huma is a knight of legend among all the races of Krynn. He came from humble beginnings, fought through great challenges, and finally faced the dark goddess herself and prevailed...in a way. This is finally the telling of his story, the true story, without all the gloss and shine the ages have pla...more
Marco
I read this book translated in Italian when I was a young teenager, and I remember liking it. More recently I read other books from Knaak, and I liked them all. Because of it, I decided to read the book again, this time in English. I did not remember the plot at all, and I really enjoyed the book as if I had never read it before.
This is the story of Huma, the legendary hero often mentioned in the Dragonlance Chronicle trilogy. The story is relatively simple, but it is never boring, and the chara...more
Daniel Gómez
Even though the book is incredibly traditional in its characterisation of the main character, it is an amazing read that fills the reader with joy and a sense of amazement for this man and his world. I feel, however, that it is not a book for everyone and that it needs to be read with a degree of innocence that perhaps I had as a boy. But this innocence is perhaps what made it so special for me.
David
A very well-written and gripping tale of one of the greatest knight of Solamnia there ever existed in the Dragonlance setting. The book depicts a great man aspiring to knighthood in a world that's falling to the forces of darkness. The epic plot is nothing new, but the other characters in the book all serve to highlight to strength of the main character's convictions and honour. The main character is the very symbol of the shining knight in armor, and the way he's portrayed still makes him a fla...more
Dave
1st Dragonlance book I read . . .and the best!

edit: I can't believe that the author liked my short little review! That totally made my day! I distinctly remember when I went to the bookstore (B. Dalton in the old Marquette Mall) and purchased this book when I was in 6th or 7th grade. It was one of the first real novels I'd ever bought for myself, & I absolutely loved the story! Quite honestly, it is a complete travesty that this book, and to a certain extent the Dragonlance books themselves...more
Cristen
I've always scoffed at fantasy books like this, but I read it on Hoop's recommendation. Hoop rarely reads, so for him to suggest a book is a BIG deal. I loved it instantly. Not only is it well written, but it has the makings of a fantasy classic. The battle starts from the first chapter, which is a good sign that the story won't drag. It didn't either, it kept strong through the end, a book worth reading for any fantasy lover.
Ryan Hodros
While I'm usually not a fan of the Dragonlance series, I picked up the Legend of Huma before I even knew what that series was, and it's what got me hooked on fantasy reading in the first place. It's got loads of action, the characters are easy to relate to, the "mysterious" characters are mysterious enough to still be interesting, though they sometimes fall into that "obvious mystery" pit. But still, this book holds a special place in my heart, and my own gripe is that it's hard to find copies o...more
Matt Ashbrock
This was the first fantasy book that I ever read. I picked it up while my family was on vacation in Florida, I was in the 5th grade or so at the time. To a 5th grader, prose and plot and character development meant a lot less to me than now. I'm sure by adult standards Dragonlance seems cliche and shallow but in the 5th grade and through high school it led me into a fantastic world of dragons, war, and magic. For nostalgia and for the significant role it played in leading me to the world of fant...more
Paul Jarvis
An amazing story for a dragon lance novel. I read a lot of dragon lance and there was always references to Huma and what he did. That's the part that made it good for me. It filled in the blanks from parts that read in other stories. The only part that lacked for me was that there was a supposed to be a big love story between Huma and his dragon (who could take human form), but that was more of an after thought in this story. I retread this book after reading it the first time. Just a good read....more
Alessio
Un fantasy di quelli classici. È scritto in modo molto approssimato, sembra quasi un riassunto della storia che narra, ma se la gioca molto bene. È molto interessante come si evolve il credo del personaggio ed è veramente bello capire come, il protagonista, non cambiando mai la sua visione, cambia comunque i suoi ideali del bene. Per un appassionato di fantasy è una lettura quasi obbligata.

Qui ne parlo sul mio blog:
Caleb Mickel
A couple years ago a friend introduced me into the Dragonlance universe. He told me where to start, with the "holy six," and I was on my way. I enjoyed all of those books. Then, I took a Dragonlance break. I recently decided to get back into some Dragonlance so I talked to the same friend who initially showed me this world and asked him for a couple recommendations. Before I could hardly finish my question this is the book he said. And I can see why. This book captivated me for the second chapte...more
M. Pierce
This was the first Dragonlance book I read -- I was about 12 and hated reading. Though I've since moved away from reading fantasy/sci-fi, I still remember this book (and the whole series) as the books that taught me how to love reading. The stories are great, fast paced and full of adventure, and for me as a young person they were the lesson I needed -- that fiction can be fun. I cut my teeth on the Dragonlance series.
Nich Traverse
Ok, so I was one of THOSE kids...for a few years there, you wouldn't see me without one of the dragonlance books in my hand. This one though, stood out. Not sure why, but over all the rest, this book was my favorite. Maybe it addressed a legend I had been longing to hear, maybe the battle scenes were a little more intense, and maybe the characters were a little more larger-than-life...not sure. It was good though.
Louis Vigo
This was the first Dragonlance book I read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The themes of heroism and honor really spoke to me as a young man, and probably helped me to define who I was going to be in life.

Beyond that, I haven't read it in years but I'm pretty certain it's not tough reading, but more about storytelling, fun, and conveying a sense of the Dragonlance history come to life via the imagination
Peter Deal
Thrilling and romantic. Read this book when I was a teenager and loved it.
Mike
This is a book that I have read numerous times. It has the rise and fall of a legend. How Huma saved the world from the Evil Takhisis. This story has action, adventure, it explains how selfless Huma was. How he did what he did for the Greater Good, not wanting anything in return. Even though I know how the story ends I still read it, bc the magic that is weaved in the book is compelling to me
Patrick Degnan
Feb 18, 2008 Patrick Degnan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is one of the bests books i have ever read. The author takes a fairly simple plot and subject and expands on it and just makes it great. Basically it's about a knight in the fantasy world called Kryn, he goes up in rank goes on marvelouse adventures, fights dragons, finds magic swords etc. He made the plot so detailed and absorbing that i cant even begin to explain the actual plot.
Kevin
This is an incredibly good book. It details the the role of the young Knight of Solamnia, Huma, in the First War of the Lance. While the tale proves to be central to the history of Krynn and the Dragonlance setting, it is an excellent fantasy novel of war, romance, honor, disgrace and redemption. It is worth reading even without any other Dragonlance novel.
Peter Wolfenberger
The Legend of Huma is the most perfect everyman story I've ever read. The relationships are awesome, the action and plot twists as unique as any. The challenges he faces are so refreshing from an originality standpoint. Not your typical 'slay the beast' story, this book features very dark, very real psychological challenges. It's... perfect to me.
Tyler
I forget that the Dragonlance novels are actually very entertaining if a little shallow and predictable. The characters are for the most part, straight forward, the only development that surprised me was Rennard's true allegiance. It is interesting to finally hear the back story of the most famous hero in the DragonLance universe.
Jeff
Even though this was my third time reading it, I still enjoyed it a lot. I think it is probably the best single book in the Dragonlance series, and even those who dont like Dragonlance would enjoy this book. Full review here: http://fantasybookreviewer.blogspot.c...
Darian
This is the first book I can ever remember reading and getting emotional about. Richard Knaak created some very iconic, sympathetic characters, which is hard to find in fantasy. The adventure is entertaining and the people of the world are memorable. One of my favorite books, and not just for nostalgia.
C.P. Sennett
This book had me close to tears at high school. It was such an epic read and I really identified with the character in it.

A great read indeed, - go Huma go and Kaz rocked as well.

It was indulgent and really something at that time I could get to grips with, a fun fantasy read.
PJ
This was the first ever Dragonlance book I purchased (of the series I now own over 100 from) in 8th grade, and it started me on a long path of Fantasy novels that continues to this day. I recall this book with fond memories, and compare most of what I read to this book to this day.
Kristine
Personally I'm not into a lot of fantasy novels, but this is one of the few exceptions to the rule. From beginning to end, it draws you in and you can see the story play out in your mind as you read with the exceptionally wonderful detail and intriguing story plot.
Brian Taylor
A solid and satisfying read which wraps the tale of Huma up by the end of the book in a nice little emotional bow. Although it gets a little silly toward the end, Mr. Knaak reigns the plot back in for a proper showdown with the Huma and the dreaded Dragonqueen, Takhisis. Fueled by a splendid supporting cast with people like Kaz the Minotaur, and full of rich lore and vivid scenery, Mr. Knaak supports his story with a rich, diverse, and fully realized world. He gives the right amount of expositio...more
Joseph Nichols
Oct 15, 2010 Joseph Nichols rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like magic, dragons, knights, comedy, virtue, & romance; then this is the book for you!
Another of my favorite Dragonlance books! I've read the entire trilogy many times. This book is the embodiment of virtue, love, and sacrifice. If you like magic, dragons, knights, valor, comedy, virtue, and romance; then this is the book for you!
From the Author 15 46 Dec 25, 2013 12:02AM
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • The Qualinesti (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #3)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
  • Night of the Eye (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #1)
  • The Magic of Krynn (DragonLance: Tales I, #1)
  • Vinas Solamnus (Dragonlance: Lost Legends, #1)
  • Kindred Spirits (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #1)
  • The Companions (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #6)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...
Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1) The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1) Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1) The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2) The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)

“I am a knight of Solamnia. I am the hand of Paladine, of Kiri-Jolith and of Habbakuk on this world. You are on Krynn. You are mine, Queen of Darkness.” 7 likes