Start by marking “Ten Poems to Say Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Ten Poems to Say Goodbye

Ten Poems to Say Goodbye

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In Ten Poems to Say Goodbye, the newest addition to the celebrated Ten Poems series, Roger Housden continues to highlight the magic of poetry, this time as it relates to personal loss. But while the selected poems in this volume may focus upon loss and grief, they also reflect solace, respite, and joy.

A goodbye is an opportunity for kindness, for forgiveness, for intimacy...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Poems to Say Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Poems to Say Goodbye

Elizabeth
I needed poetry this weekend and rather than looking around my own library, I went to Barnes & Noble. Most of the fiction I read any more is via Kindle or Audible. However, for me, poetry still is best served on paper in a "real" book.

I spent two days on my screened porch reading this. I have liked Housdon's other compilations and this did not diasappoint. I especially liked the inclusion of Leonard Cohen and also listened to the song version of that particular poem.

As I prepare to send my...more
Guy
“Your experience is not yours alone” kim addonizio.

Roger Housden quotes this in one of the book chapters and for me it was the greatest message of the book – both as a writer and as a reader. We are not alone in the universe, in this life. What ever it is we are feeling or going through someone else has experienced or is experiencing too. As a reader I find it a relief and as a writer I find it helping in remembering that I can rely on my own experiences within my writing. Even the most personal...more
Kelly
This is a Good Reads First Reads giveaway book.
I wasn't sure what to expect giving the title "Ten Poems to Say Goodbye". I initially imagined a book filled with poems by the author. I was not familiar with Roger Housden's work which includes other books of theme oriented poems. This book is a compilation of selected poems by several authors. Mr. Housden gives his interpretation of each literary piece providing background on the writer and offering his explanation of how the words can provide sol...more
Melissa
Poetry is something that I want to read but I end up giving up because I don't feel I'm really understanding what the poet is saying. I loved that Roger Housden takes a poem and breaks it down both in context of the language and the poet's life. I'm looking forward to buying more of his Ten Poems series.
This was a nice selection of poems about death, leaving a lover, watching a child leave. They were all very touching and in some cases gut wrenching in their feelings of loss.
Tanya
I liked poem 6, "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden. Some others I read were more obscure. Not in the mood for obscure poetry, nor a lengthy exposition to go along with it. I think I'd like it better if I were in the mood to study poetry rather than needing to be moved. "Waving Goodbye" was good.
Michelle
My heart needed this poetry. I'm so glad that TED talk led me to seek out poetry, and I stumbled upon these poems of goodbyes. It gave my grief wings. It filled my heart with love and hope and acceptance. I look forward to blogging about these poems and all that they taught me.
Ashley
Hard to give a book with incredible poetry less than 4 stars. Housden's readings are fine; we all have our own readings to bring to each of the poems contained herein. Finally found the solace I was seeking in Leonard Cohen's (!) "Alexandra Leaving" .
Lynda Esparza
I've had some personal losses recently and this book really helped with my grieving process.

I recieived this as an uncorrected proof from www.goodreads.com
Harley
Excellent book. Housden explores the world of death, grief and letting go through the lens of ten poems. Power presentation and insight.
Received as a Good Reads Giveaway.

I liked the book, just wish there were more. My favorite poem was Love Sonnet XCIV by Pablo Neruda.
Vicki
Beautiful - thought-provoking - haunting.
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Margo Hendricks
Margo Hendricks marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Deb Lewis
Deb Lewis marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mary Ruth Kamp
Mary Ruth Kamp marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Erik Oliver
Erik Oliver marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Jenna
Jenna added it
Sep 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...
Ten Poems to Change Your Life Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation Ten Poems to Open Your Heart Ten Poems to Set You Free Ten Poems to Last a Lifetime

“The greatest gift and expression of love is the gesture of open arms - let come what comes - not because you don't care, or because you hope to steel yourself against pain, but because you care so much that you are helpless to do anything else.” 0 likes