Start by marking “The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.5)

The Kill Order (The Maze Runner 0.5)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  57,827 ratings  ·  4,687 reviews
Read the fourth book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, perfectfor fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent. The first book, The Maze Runner, is now a major motion picture featuring the star of MTV's Teen Wolf, Dylan O’Brien; Kaya Scodelario; Aml Ameen; Will Poulter; and Thomas Brodie-Sangster and the second book, The Scorch Trials, will soon be a movie ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Kill Order, please sign up.

Minke I recommend reading this book after books 1, 2 and 3. It contains spoilers that can ruin the other books for you.
Ava I liked the 3rd book more then the 2nd one, that's for sure. But It still hadn't explained A LOT and the ending is.. not complete for me.
I have just…more
I have just started the 4th book, and I don't know what to think about it yet.
I liked the 1st book the most, then the 3rd, 2nd and will see about the 4th one, but I feel it won't be the best ever.(less)

Stephen
I would just like to say: How on earth can you rate this without even reading it?

---
It seems that I got an unexpected amount of 'likes' for this so-called review but I still don't get why people rate books without reading them. What are they thinking?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be making a real review because I'm terrible at writing (as evidenced by my mistake before this edit: using the word anyways instead of anyway).
Aneeqah
I can describe this book to you in a single word: disappointment. With a big capital D. See, the thing is, The Maze Runner was one of my favorite series ever… until the last book, which I hated. So the only reason I picked this book up was in hope that it would redeem the series for me and answer my bajillion questions. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. The Kill Order just failed to live up to The Maze Runner.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about this book was that it was not about
Arisu
I demand a sequel to the prequel
Blythe
Aug 30, 2012 Blythe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who don't need character development along with their action
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

There are the books that either have too little action and you're bored to tears reading said book, or book that have too much action, and too little of everything else. The Kill Order tends to fall in the latter category of books, and I'll bet that was where Dashner was intending The Kill Order to fall.

The plot for The Kill Order is simple - it's the end of the world, sun flares are destroying the Earth, and a group of teenagers (are they teenagers?) are trying their be
 Imani ♥ ☮
I was only informed that this book was coming out when I was scouring through my Kindle store, looking for free books. And I saw this and I was like, "Hmm...that sure does look like the Maze Runner and the other books in that crappy trilogy". And then I looked at the info and found out that's a prequel.

A prequel.

I don't LIKE prequels. I wanted to know what happened to stupid Brenda and idiotic Thomas. Not Teresa and Thomas (who, by the way, should have been together NOT Brenda and Thomas).

But
Hayden
Well. First let me start off my saying that I am extremely disappointed about the fact that the series is now done.

I started this book yesterday afternoon, and now, at 2 in the morning, I've finished it. And let me just say HOLY CRAP. THIS BOOK. I CAN'T.
I thought all the other three were good, but this book made me so overwhelmingly....I don't even know. So many feelings. Can I just vent? I'm going to vent, OK?

(view spoiler)
Inge
I don't know, I guess The Kill Order just wasn't for me. I had high expectations for this book, because I loved the original trilogy. Each of the three books was given five stars. They were absolutely perfect. I was expecting a prequel that was sort of connected to the trilogy, and it was, but not in the way that I wanted. I wanted to read more about my original characters, the ones that I had grown to love. I wanted to read more about the government, and why they did what they did.

Instead, I go
Dylan
My first ever 1 star review. Well done 'The Kill Order', you deserve it.

Before Reading it
-Oh I hope this is good!

During and After reading it

So here's what I didn't like about this book (basically everything)
-I couldn't get myself to read more than 50 pages per day.
-I thought about giving up constantly.
-The characters were boring, bland and flat
-forced, vague and unnecessary relationships
-stiff and unnatural dialogue
-people dying before I could care, or remember who they were
-inconsisten
Emily
Natalie Monroe
DNF at 47%

"Mark jumped to his feet, pulling Alec's arm. The entire area around them shook as it rose, and it took all of Mark's effort not to fall again. He knew that what was happening had to be impossible, and it made him wonder about his mental state."

I know that scene is supposed to have me at the edge of my seat, but the only thing I can think of right now is the lack of cheese sticks in my house, and that makes me wonder about my mental state.

After the fuckfest of The Death Cure, I wasn'
~Tina~
The Kill Order is the much anticipated prequel to The Maze Runner series by the incredible James Dashner.
I can't even begin to express how badly I wanted this book. Dashner is one of my all time favorite authors. He's the reason I found my love for post-apocalyptic/dystopic books which provoked me to want to read more in this genre.

This installment takes place thirteen years prior to the initial time setting of the series, which was before Thomas and the Glade, and even before WICKED was create
Kassidy
So disappointing. I liked the prologue and the epilogue, I felt the rest of the book was completely pointless except for the character Deedee and the explanation of the origins of The Flare. Which a whole book was not needed for those things. It was a ton of action which got really boring, and I just don't see the point of the story. It was fairly entertaining at times, but compared to the rest of the series it was pretty crappy.
Colby
Mar 02, 2012 Colby marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not to be a freak, but...
holyfreakingcrapi'mexcitedokayididn'treallyevenlikethelastbookverymuchbutohmygodohmygodyesyesyes!

Freakout over.
I'm just really excited to read how this all starts!

EDIT: 3/2/2012
New cover. I really, really like it. Let's just hope that it reflects how good the book is.
Erika
Before reading the book:

Wow, this sounds interesting!
_____________________________________________________________

After reading the book:

Well, that was disappointing...

I'm gonna warn you guys, and you should take it seriously as a fair warning:

Do NOT read this book and/or review if you haven't read the ENTIRE Maze Runner Trilogy.

Just don't if you're planning on reading the trilogy. At least not if you don't want to get spoilers for the whole three books.

Now that it's set i will start off by ment
Meli
RESEÑA COMPLETA

Ufff, no estoy segura de poder decir algo coherente, lo acabo de terminar y son demasiadas cosas que asimilar.

Fue un libro grandioso que me hizo sufrir como loca. No fue lo que esperaba, creí que iba a narrar todo el proceso de armado del laberinto y CRUEL, me sorprendió encontrarme con una historia independiente a Thomas y compañía, con personajes nuevos.
También creí que todos los interrogantes que La cura mortal nos dejó iban a tener su respuesta, pero en el fondo sabía que Das
Abby
Also posted here: http://wintrywords.blogspot.com/2012/...

I feel like curling into a little ball and punching a Crank in the face after reading only half of The Kill Order. There’s not much else I can do anymore, feeling like my life is a lie.

I am a huge fan of The Maze Runner series so when I found out there was going to be a prequel I about had a heart-attack. When I somehow manage to land an ARC, I am pretty sure I did indeed die of a heart-attack. My zombie is typing up this review now. The
Richie Chagas
That was a nice ride. actual rating: 3.5 stars

Mark always loved Trina, even before the world ended. One thing that the sun flares brought together: Mark, Trina. And Mark will do anything to protect her. After their village was attacked and a deadly virus is turning people batshit crazy when it is not killing them is free, the relatively calm life they were living comes to and end and a small group of survivors find themselves on the run again.
Surprisingly, the greatest character by far is Mark's
Jonathan

The Kill Order is an interesting book that I felt little attachment to, which probably explains my feelings regarding the entire Maze Runner series. While the novels are all better written than your typical YA bestsellers the plots and characters often felt flat and distanced from the reader, so as a result the novels remained likeable, entertaining novels with interesting themes. That was until this particular novel.

This novel aims to present the idea (as with some of the previous novels) about
Emily Rose
Jan 17, 2014 Emily Rose marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well since this series just went utterly downhill with every sequal, that better mean that the prequal will be good.

Stepheny
I really wanted so much more from this book. I wanted to know things about the characters that we had been introduced to in the first three books. Instead we are introduced to all new people 13 years prior to the events that take place in books 1-3. All this did was give us a history of what happened, how the world ended, how the virus came to be and how they found out about people being immune.

Through the first three books there are references to Thomas and Theresa's involvement in setting up
Jalyn
Brief summary
Before the Maze, before the Scorch, before WICKED was even formed, came the sun flares that changed the world as we know it. Mark and Trina survived what they thought was the worst thing to ever happen to the world, but are now faced with a devastating disease that is ravaging the United States. They, along with some friends, are determined to find the cure that must be out there somewhere and to do that they need to find the people who started it all.

What I liked
I really wanted to
Luciana
Oh. Por. Dios. Voy a intentar poner todos mis pensamientos juntos para poder hacer esta reseña porque este libro te deja con demasiadas emociones juntas. Fue increíble.

The Kill Order está situado trece años antes de Maze Runner, salvo el prólogo y el epílogo. James Dashner nos cuenta con este libro muchas de las dudas, que por lo menos a mí, me habían quedado de The Death Cure.

Las llamaradas solares y el virus letal. El libro explica cómo es que llegó a la Tierra el calor y la radiación, la ma
Kyle
Read this review and more over at Living Is Reading!

(The gifs actually work on the blog. Have no idea why they didn't work here, but whatever)

Have you ever seen the movie Elephant? I did a few months back. It was just this sort of random indie film that I heard about because I was researching the Columbine massacre, and I heard that the film was based off of that, although it wasn’t about that event exactly. I’d heard very mixed reactions about it, some people saying it was absolute cerebral
kingshearte
Note: review is kind of spoilery, but mostly concerning the original trilogy.

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of extending a completed series, in either direction. However, when I finished The Death Cure, I felt that there was a lot of story meat left in Thomas's pre-Glade story, so in this case, when I heard that there was indeed to be a prequel, I was actually pretty excited. I wasn't even too thrown by the talk about Mark and Trina in the blurb, because, given that Thomas's name wasn't al
Megan
While this book was good and action packed it was, overall, just ok. I think the main problem was that while I was expecting it to be about Thomas and Teresa or really any of the characters you know from the rest of the series, it wasn't. (view spoiler) So that being said how am I really supposed to care about these characters when I know that they have no place in the rest of the series, and knowing how the rest of ...more
Juli
Este libro es demasiado emotivo: te da ganas de llorar, reír y matar a alguien al mismo tiempo... Para explicar lo que se siente al leerlo, es algo así como contagiarse de la llamarada por un rato.
Explica muchas cosas sobre el ataque de las llamaradas solares y sobre el origen del virus de la llamarada. Lo recomiendo a aquellos que hayan leído la trilogía de The Maze Runner, realmente aclara muchas cosas.
Me gustó mucho por los momentos de suspenso porque gracias a ellos nunca pude parar de leer
Alianny
Jan 25, 2015 Alianny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-físico
Tengo este libro desde hace casi un año y aún no tengo ganas de leerlo..
Initial Reaction:

Oooooooooo, so thats's how it all fits!

That ending though!!! (view spoiler)
Courtney
OK. There were a few things I really wanted from this book. Namely, answers that I had left over from the first three books. I knew this was a prequel, but I had no idea where Dashner would pick up the storyline. I had *hoped* that it would involve Tom and Teresa's work with WICKED prior to the maze. But, with the exception of the introduction, Teresa is nowhere to be found and Tom is only mentioned one more time in the entire book. Instead, it focuses on Mark, a teenaged boy who has become sepa ...more
Erin
I am so extremely disappointed in this book. After finishing THE DEATH CURE I was frustrated with all of the unknowns left out there and thought this would be the book to answer them all. If you expect to learn ANYTHING about the creation of the Maze, how it worked, who was behind it, etc...do not bother reading this book. With the exception of the prologue and the epilogue, NONE of the characters from the original series are mentioned at all. This is a completely different story...all different ...more
The ending! 5 16 8 hours, 16 min ago
Anyone else think this? *SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS* 83 1319 10 hours, 11 min ago
The Maze Runner!: Favorite Charcter? 1 2 16 hours, 59 min ago
Words Breathe Life: The Kill Order 1 2 Feb 24, 2015 03:13PM
Opinion 1 5 Feb 20, 2015 07:02AM
Just one question.... 7 19 Feb 11, 2015 06:48PM
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3)
  • Surrender (Possession, #2)
  • Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3)
  • Execution (Escape From Furnace, #5)
  • The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2)
  • UnSouled (Unwind, #3)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • Feedback (Variant, #2)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • The Complex (Linx, # 1)
  • Rebirth: An Eden Prequel (The Eden Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • The Fear (The Enemy #3)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...

The Maze Runner (3 books)
  • The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)
  • The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)
  • The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1)

“Oh, I'm good. Seriously, after all these years, you'd think I would stop amazing myself. But here I am, still doing it.” 52 likes
“Let's get this started, people. It won't be long before we all lose our minds.” 43 likes