Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers

Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Celebrity chef, restaurateur, and meat lover Michael Symon—of Food Network’s Iron Chef America and ABC’s The Chew—shares his wealth of knowledge and more than 100 killer recipes for steaks, chops, wings, and lesser-known cuts.

Fans across the country adore Michael Symon for his big, charismatic personality and his seriously delicious food. But there's one thing Michael is k...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2012)

David Williams
Michael Simon talking about meat, what's not to like? The layout is excellent, the tone is enjoyable conversational and the veggie recipes are awesome.

Book received for free through Goodreads First Reads program.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Let me preface this by saying, I cook. A lot. I call it a hobby, others call it an obsession, Sur La Table & Whole Foods call it a windfall. I've made many, many recipes by a whole host of chefs & I can honestly say I usually tinker with most recipes. There are 2 chefs I never alter their recipes-Micheal Symon & Thomas Keller. Why mess with perfection? And before I go any further there is a recipe that he's made on his show for spicy potatoes that's the shit, the bee's knees, the cat...more
Bunny
I'm pretty much a fraud for even picking this up at the library, for two reasons.

1) John Besh should've won Next Iron Chef. I've never forgiven that show for picking Symon over him.

2) I'm only 1/4 carnivore. I don't eat lamb, or bunnies (OB-viously). I eat steak maybe once ever four months, and it's the cheapest kind every time because, you know. Poor. My go-to protein is chicken, and even then, it's simple chicken breasts, browned down, breaded, or baked.

However. This was on the new book shelf...more
Joan
If you enjoy meat then this is the book for you. If you've ever wanted to try your hand at making your own hot dogs, bacon, pastarimi, sausage, or corned beef, then this is the book for you. If you want some new recipes for cooking beef, pork, lamb, goat, poultry or game then this is the book for you. There is even a chapter on sides to go with your meat dishes.

Michael Symon gives you tips on the best ways to cook the cuts of meat you choose for your family as well as suggestions for sides to ro...more
Joanne
I got this from the library to see if I wanted to add it to my ever-expanding cookbook collection. Although I really enjoyed reading it and it had some great recipes, it won't be going on my shelves, however. I like to cook, but an Iron Chef I am not, and a lot of the recipes were geared toward serious cooks! There are recipes for making your own sausages and even hot dogs, not to mention a whole chapter devoted to game. Symon also has some great recipes for offal that look great if you have a m...more
Gail
I won this book in a first reads free giveaway but I still have not received my copy..I received my copy yesterday in the mail. There are some pretty interesting recipes in the book. I don't eat any wild game and some of the recipes seem pretty intense. I will be using this book as part of my gift swap gift for Christmas. Thanks for the free copy.
I just had to tell you that my son-in-law just loves the book. I had used the book with an Outback Gift Card as my swap gift and my son-in-law kept try...more
Dorothy
There are some really great and easy recipes in this book. I haven't book an actual hardcover book in a few years, but Michael Symon was doing a book signing at the local Barnes & Noble so I wanted to get it signed. He is such a sincere person and if you had any questions about any of the recipes in the book you could write him and he would definitely respond. They are so simple and clear though there shouldn't be any problems making these. If you love meat, any kind, even chicken you will l...more
Tammy
I received this as a giveaway from good reads. It has a lot of useful tips but the recipes consist of ingredients most people do not have. Also there are techniques that many people will never use. The pictures are enticing I just can't see myself ever smoking my own bacon. For those reasons it did not receive a five star.
Bonnie
Some great recipes in here, and its hard not to love a book that loves Cleveland so very, very much. However, if you've never seen the man cook or are otherwise unfamiliar with his work, there are times when you will be absolutely lost. Less a cookbook and more a 'recipes from our show/restaurant' book.
Heather
He wasn't kidding about this book being almost all meat...what I especially appreciate is that is is all meats from headcheese to tripe to calf liver, done in a way that isn't intimidating. For an Iron Chef this book is easy peasy with not too much ingredients and simple processes.
Nicole
These are not recipes for the everyday home cook. Who has the time to grind their own sausage? Not my kind of food, nut I love Michael Symon as both a chef and a tv personality, and the directions for the recipes were clear and easy to understand.
Kristen
Great cookbook for meat lovers!!! There are a ton of great tips.... starting with purchasing to the best way to prepare each cut of meat to side dishes to accompany them. Michael Symon is the bomb!
Jesselyn
I actually rented this from the library and loved it so much I bought it!
Great recipes for my carnivore hubby who cannot understand the world's obsession with quinoa and gluten free...
Jeff
Gathered a couple good ideas. I will definitely be attempting to home cure/smoke my own bacon and pastrami.
Wendy
I don't eat a lot of meat, and I hardly ever cook it at home, but I adore Michael Symon!!
Patti
Beautiful pictures and great reading. But the recipes are not for the average home cook.
Janet
I liked it enough and found some things I want to try making
Darryl Attwell
Bacon!!!! I lived this book!
Jennifer Collins
Jennifer Collins marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Dawn Shadow Hunter
Dawn Shadow Hunter marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Gnee
Gnee added it
Mar 30, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Mar 07, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
  • Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
  • The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner
  • Waffles: Fun Recipes for Every Meal
  • Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You: More than 100 Delicious One-Pot Meals for Your 1.5-Quart/Litre Slow Cooker
  • Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites: More Than 100 Year-Round Recipes to Enjoy with Family and Friends
  • The Secret Lives of Baked Goods: Sweet Stories & Recipes for America's Favorite Desserts
  • One Pot of the Day (Williams-Sonoma): 365 recipes for every day of the year
  • Handwritten Recipes: A Bookseller's Collection of Curious and Wonderful Recipes Forgotten Between the Pages
  • Bouchon Bakery
Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen Michael Symon's 5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners Vitamix Create Recipes The Chew: What's for Dinner?: Over 100 Mouthwatering Recipes to Make Your Weeknights Easy and Your Weekends Sensational Cleveland's West Side Market: 100 Years and Still Cooking