Say Hello

Say Hello

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A spare, poignant picture book reminding us that when someone looks lonely and in need of a friend, one little word can help.

A lone dog comes upon a group of kids playing ball and with leaping ease, joins the game. They’re all having so much fun, they don’t see a sad little boy standing off by himself. Who will spy the boy and invite him to play? With arresting images by a...more
Published September 11th 2012 by Candlewick (first published November 5th 2007)

L- Lisa
Say Hello is such a simple story with few words but portrays through its pages the concepts of loneliness and the power of friendships. The drawings start with a little dog and then a sad little boy, watching and wondering if they could join a group of children playing on a playground. The dog breaks the ice in the group of children, encouraging the boy to join in. The question raised is “When someone’s feeling left out, it doesn’t take much to say ….hello!”

This book is wonderfully simple, send...more
Michael Mccaul
Say hello is a story about being left out and friendship. I like that it begins with a little dog, how it is all alone and how it becomes a part of a game. This same plot is then transferred to a little boy, and the message is very clear for young children. The topic about being left out is a very familiar and real issue for children at school especially in a playground environment. This helps them see what being left out looks like from a perspective other than their own.
I liked this book and w...more
Valerie
Summary: This is a spare, poignant picture book reminding us that when someone looks lonely and in need of a friend, one little word can help. A lone dog comes upon a group of kids playing ball and with leaping ease, joins the game. They’re all having so much fun, they don’t see a sad little boy standing off by himself. Who will spy the boy and invite him to play? With arresting images by a master illustrator and a simple, touching text by his son, SAY HELLO evokes the joy and relief of finding...more
Kelly
Say Hello is a nice aide to help young children think about both perspective taking and active empathy/action. For kids experiencing loneliness, the text may help them feel less alone and give them ideas about how to actively pursue engagement with others. For those who have not experienced that feeling of being left out, the text might encourage them to observe those around them and to offer a welcoming greeting and word of encouragement. Lovely, simple text.
Somona
Author: Jack Foreman
Genre: Picture Book
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Summary: Begins with a lonely, wandering dog who meets a group of kids playing basketball. The dog joins the kids and is accepted by everyone. Now a kid is wandering around, feeling lonely. He runs into the dogs and the other kids and the dogs ask him to join them. At the end of the book, the kids remind us that when we see someone all alone, we should simply say hello.
Response: I liked the message of initiating communication with...more
Paula
Very simple, yet effective, illustrations and text. This book could be used to facilitate conversations about how everyone feels lonely sometimes & what to do if you're feeling that way or others are. I'd recommend it for readers/ classrooms Pre-K through 2nd grade.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I really like the stark simplicity of the words and the illustrations that accompany them, although the pictures tell more than half the story in themselves. The restraint in the book is great, although for some reason it feels that the pictures could have been just a little bit better, just a little more stark and had more punch. As it is, the text is a simple poem, well described by the adjective "heartfelt." Its message about loneliness is beautiful in that it doesn't preach or be too descrip...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Wendy
Picture book
Encourages you to say hello and make sure no one is left out and lonely.
Jacqui
Aug 20, 2008 Jacqui rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early childhood and primary grade teachers/librarians
Recommended to Jacqui by: Kathleen
This is a good book to use for friendship and solitude. The expression on the little boys face is clearly one of sadness and longing to be included in the group. I found it interesting that the illustrations were black and white except for the basketball. Some good discussions regarding being lonely, acceptance, awareness and friendship will result from reading this book.

I like the end papers at the end of the books which are single words saying "hello" in multiple languages. Children will enjoy...more
Rachael
I loved this book for so many reasons! First of all, the simple coloration is relaxed, yet inviting; the seemingly simple illustrations speak almost as much as the words! Secondly, the words and sentences are very accommodating for early readers, organized in a rhyming pattern that is easy to follow. Finally, the overall message of this book runs deep, but is made accessible by its simplistic style. Reading this book with children would make for a great conversation starter, and is an easy way t...more
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
An earnest and well meaning but also successful book dealing with the loneliness that children on the outer can feel, and the simple step they can take (say hello) to join in with other kids and be accepted into the game. Michael Foreman is a prolific children's author and illustrator that I mainly know from his association with Micahel Morpurgo. I have the impression that Jack Foreman is his son, but can't find out definitively. Simple but very emotive illustrations help with the impact of the...more
Tricia
The ache of loneliness was palpable in this title by Foreman. Starting with a dog, left out, alone who finds friends and pays it forward. Not really an option for storytime...so depressing and bleak with vast white background and sparse illustrations. I see this as an option for therapists or parents working with children who need help understanding aloneness and inclusion.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
The expansive white space and child-like crayon drawings fit the tone of the "poem" very well. However, nothing here is brilliant, and the simplistic solution of saying hello to someone who is left out adds yet one more "bully dealing" bibliotherapy which pretty much will never solve the complex issue of bullying/friendship/loneliness/left-out-ness of any child.
Kathy Ellen Davis
This is a sweet book.
I can see it being great in a classroom, talking about how it feels to be left out and how easy it is to ask someone to play and join in!

The illustrations are very simple but effective.
Lovely!

Haiku Review:
No one likes to be
on the outside waiting to
join in on the fun.
Jenn
Love Love Love this book! Very simple but displays the power of how one word make a difference to a child. Great book to talk about inclusion, character building, sharing, and inviting.
Anne
The simplistic drawings and sweet, caring message in this book is great for every child to see and hear.
The message is to include others so they don't feel left out.
Melissa Posten
One of the best books ever on inclusion, sharing, and being a good friend that I have ever read, EVER. It's also very simple, so it's great for the littlest ones.
Alamoliz
a great book to read at the beginning of a new school year. Remind children how it feels to be left out and alone, and how easy it is to include someone.
Tina
"loneliness, friendship, pets, dogs, line drawing, very basic text, little accusatory tone"
Jen
sparse drawings that hit with impact. this can teach kids how to reach out to lonely kids.
Candace
Would be a fabulous bibliotherapy book. I fell in love with this.
Mathew
Totally unrealistic ending.
PWRL
May 29, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jack Foreman is studying art history in college. Say Hello, his first book, is based on a heartfelt poem he wrote when he was about ten about his own experience of being bullied in school. He lives in London.
More about Jack Foreman...
Great Tales Of Terror (A Watermill Classic) The Strode Venturer