Start by marking “Benny and Penny in Lights Out!: TOON Level 2” as Want to Read:
Benny and Penny in Lights Out!: TOON Level 2

Benny and Penny in Lights Out!: TOON Level 2 (Benny and Penny)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
What’s that rustling in the bushes?

It’s nearly time for lights-out but Benny just won’t settle down — and his sister, Penny, is becoming very annoyed. The moon has gone missing, there’s a flashlight to play with, and Benny must go find his favorite Pirate hat . . . inside the dark and spooky playhouse in the backyard. Geoffrey Hayes’s loveable mice are back — and they’re a
Published August 28th 2012 by Toon Books (first published August 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Benny and Penny in Lights Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benny and Penny in Lights Out!

David
Jun 09, 2012 David rated it liked it
Benny and Penny in Lights Out by Geoffrey Hayes is the story of restless Benny, who isn't sleepy, and his adventure to get his pirate hat, with little sister Penny helping her brother.

The illustrations, while somewhat cartoon-like, portray a lot of movement, facial expressions and body language. My favorite images are Penny searches outside for Benny, Penny finds Benny, retrieving piarate hat sequence, and scary bug sequence.

I liked the imagination portrayed in this book regarding making up stor
Barbara
While Penny keeps trying to read, her sibling Benny keeps trying to distract her, wacking at insects, moving around, and changing her gentle story about a princess to one with dinosaurs. As Benny finally settles down, he realizes that he left his pirate hat in the playhouse, and the two venture out to locate it. Although Penny is brave while they are outside, she becomes frightened once they are back in bed, and she hears a scary sound. Young readers will easily relate to the siblings' experienc ...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
Sep 25, 2012 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child, 2012-books
I adore this series of books done by various artist-comic artist. The Benny and Jenny series teaches lessons in a fun way, that my little understands easy. They comics for readers, and the last pages are instructions for parents on how to use the series to teach reading. Comics, as a child helped me learn to read. Tin Tin-I thank my teacher for sharing her collection with me. The illustrations are well done. They are books, that will become classics to pass down for generations.

Kacie Blakley
Sep 28, 2014 Kacie Blakley rated it really liked it
Benny and Penny are the typical brother and sister. They might fight and argue, but ultimately they are there for each other and love to have a fun time together. Although the story is cute and exciting, an adult would notice gender stereotypes and a plot that can be hard to follow. Hayes jumps from one conflict to the next very abruptly and I think that might confuse some children. The cartoon illustrations clearly depict what the words are saying and bring more detail to the story. I do like t ...more
Libby
Aug 27, 2013 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Continuing our search for elementary-friendly graphic novels, we picked up this one a few weeks ago.

I have to say right now that graphic novel format just doesn't speak to me, so I may not be giving these a fair shake.

I liked this one ok, it's just that there wasn't very much of a story to it. Or rather, the story seemed to sneak in between all the other things going on. If I had to synopsize this, I would say that a brother and sister mouse overcome their fear of the dark/boogey-mice to retriev
Lauren Crouse
Jul 19, 2016 Lauren Crouse rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-614
I loved this cute little story. This story is about two little mice and how they don't follow the rules when it is lights out. They end up sneaking off when they should be in bed.

This is a great book because it gives access for young ones to read comic books. I would love to use these series of books in my classroom to help teach my students about comic books and being able to provide access to all my readers.
Rebecca Honeycutt
Nephew seemed pretty into it (though he usually prefers more action), and was able to read it on his own.
Dolly
Aug 27, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: younger children who are just starting to read graphic novels
We've read all four of the stories (all of them written so far) in the Benny and Penny series and our girls really like them. I don't enjoy reading graphic novels aloud very much, but our girls don't seem to mind. We had fun reading this aloud, with different children taking parts and reading the dialogue for their chosen character.

This is a fun story to read with children, especially before bedtime. Young children can relate to a fear of the dark. We enjoyed reading this book together.
midnightfaerie
Oct 31, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We use these books as our daily read out loud selections occasionally. My 5 yr old son absolutely loves Benny and Penny and immediately begged for more as well as more Geoffrey Hayes as soon as he was finished. It reads like a comic book, with fun cartoonish pictures and the dialogue in bubbles above the characters heads. Still worth the vocabulary learning alone, as the kids all seem to love it. Highly recommended.
Samantha
Nov 20, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: mice, kids-comics, night
It's bedtime, but Benny can't sleep without his pirate hat. He makes a quick trip outside where he remembers seeing it last and Penny worries when he's been gone too long. Together the brother and sister mice face the terrors of the night and make it back inside in time to slip under the covers before their mom catches them out of bed.

A funny, realistic look at bedtime. Recommended for grades 1-2.
Selene Vasquez
Dec 06, 2014 Selene Vasquez rated it liked it
This book is about Benny two siblings. Benny keeps distracting his sister and eventually he realizes he left his pirate hat in the play house. THey both go on an adventure to go get his pirate hat. this is a really cute book which can be read to younger children who have siblings.
jacky
Mar 10, 2016 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-aub, early-reader
I thought this would be about a black out from the cover, but it was a story about Benny and Penny at bedtime (or "lights out"). Very realistic capturing of how siblings interact -- the seamless flow from annoying each other to enjoying each other.
Jess
Oct 24, 2013 Jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: easy-to-read, z_13
Girls get pink and princesses and to instruct boys on rules. Boys get dinosaurs and pirates and to leave the house on adventure. Oh.
Mikhaela
I only give it three stars, but my three-year-old daughter gives it five—she has the whole book memorized.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 12, 2013 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
I love Benny and Penny and this lives up to expectations. Not the best one but still great.
Ellie
Not bad, story is a little disjointed, but kids will enjoy it for its simple, silly humor.
Emily
May 16, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: v2012-young
gender stereotypes not to my liking.
EL
Chickenlips422
Chickenlips422 marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Ashli
Ashli added it
Aug 13, 2016
Ella
Ella rated it it was amazing
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Eric Weilnau
Eric Weilnau rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 03, 2016
David Sprague
David Sprague rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Geoffrey Hayes has written and illustrated over forty children’s books, including the extremely popular series of early readers Otto and Uncle Tooth, the classic Bear By Himself, and When the Wind Blew by Caldecott Medal-winning author Margaret Wise Brown.
More about Geoffrey Hayes...

Benny and Penny (6 books)
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Benny and Penny in the Toy Breaker: TOON Level 2