Maya Makes a Mess

Maya Makes a Mess (Toon Books Level 2)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Are Maya’s manners fit for a queen?

In the midst of a family dinner with her scolding parents, Maya receives a very unexpected invitation to dine with the queen. Suddenly, her messy manners are put to the ultimate test and she begins to improvise her very own set of rules, with uproarious results. Filled with humor and exquisitely imagined detail, this book by Eisner Award–...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Toon Books (first published 2012)

Fredrik Strömberg
This is an absolutely gorgeous children's book using the comics format, made by an artist more known for her much lauded graphic novels for adult readers. Herein lies part of the brilliance of Francoise Mouly's Toon Books, getting the best of the best in contemporary comics art, and making them create comics for kids which is an area strangely lacking in the world of comics. That and applying rigorous systems for what can be done in wording, the usage of characters etc. due to the assumed readin...more
Young Mensans
Maya Makes a Mess is a hilarious book about a girl named Maya whose parents are always on her about her manners. They say things like "What if you were having dinner with the queen?" One night during dinner, she is whisked away to have dinner with the queen. The queen then adopts Maya's manners and loves it!

I think other kids would enjoy it because it is really funny and is written like a comic book.

My favorite part was when everyone at the queen's dinner started using bad manners and they reali...more
Nick
The basic premise was extremely cute. Maya has terrible table manners, and her parents try to teach her to behave at the table. When she questions why she should have better table manners, her father replies with one of those goofy old sayings, "What if you were eating dinner with the Queen?"
So of course, Maya immediately gets invited to dine with the Queen, and things do not go as her parents would have thought.
I had a bit of difficulty with the story at that point, because the wild royal dinne...more
Ian
This totally unassuming story is one of the most perfect picture books I've ever read. I'm in awe of this book. The author's ability to resist the temptation to be didactic and have the child internalize the rules of the adult world is pitch perfect for kids and provides a great ending. Love this.
Rebecca
This wacky book will appeal to any kid who's ever been told to use their fork.

It's not surprising that the author's bio suggests the idea for this book came out of Modan's own child's mouth--it perfectly captures a slice of life for children, then exaggerates it to goofy effect. The artwork is adorable, the humor good-natured. Easily read by my 7 year old, who loved it, with plenty of interest even for older kids in the same boat. I love that it offers empathy for a common childhood problem, wi...more
Matthew
Charming children's book about messy Maya and her terrible table manners. Beautifully illustrated, well paced, and with a "moral" that (I can only imagine) is the perfect compromise for parents and children reading together.
Jen
This is really an easy comic book, not a graphic novel, but I've already tagged so many other easy comics as graphic novels so the tag is staying. I read this because I really enjoyed Exit Wounds (which is written for an adult audience). This was a comic book for beginning readers about table manners. I enjoyed the hypothetical situation. I almost wish it would have been longer, but next time I have a teacher collection about nutrition/eating, I'm totally putting it in. (It doesn't really cover...more
Barbara
Young readers will chortle at the hilarity of Maya, a girl with abysmal manners, showing the queen and other prestigious folks how to enjoy their food by not worrying so much about their table manners. It's all silly good fun, although highly unlikely, with Maya being wisked aboard a plane and flown to dinner with the queen. The illustrations even include corgis wandering about the rooms. Even I laughed at the sight of Maya consuming spaghetti covered with ketchup in her own inimitable but slopp...more
Marika
Rutu Modan brings her Eisner Award-winning talents to emerging readers in the Toon graphic novel Maya Makes a Mess. Maya's parents don't like her messy table manners, so what will the queen think? Well, it turns out the queen is willing to allowances for a guest, and declares the evening one of messy manners. The result is ridiculous and hysterical, perfect for messy eaters or those who are forbidden to have their own fun at the table.
Nathan Herald
Book 85 of 1000

Maya is constantly getting in trouble at the dinner table, so when she is summoned to dinner with the Queen, she knows she's got to be on her best behavior. However, once dinner is served, Maya falls back into old habits. When the Queen catches her, all sorts of mayhem ensues! Yet another fun book from Toon publishing, this is a great story, especially for elementary school kids.
Nicola Mansfield
Not exactly the book to teach a kid manners but a fun story for messy eaters nonetheless Maya introduces a little fun into the prim and proper royal court with her particular style of eating and the illustrations are crazily detailed. should keep the reader lingering on each page studying the pictures.
Jaina Bee
I gave a copy of this book to every little girl I know. I hope their parents forgive me. Meanwhile, the kids are loving it. My niece persuaded me to read this to her about 7 times in a row and we both laughed and laughed until we collapsed on the floor. Then she made my sweetie read it to her 7 more times.
Georgina
this book is funny! because she thinks that eating with no manners makes the food taste better. but i don't think that is really true. and i find that she is kind of lucky to eat with the queen. and i really like this book. if there was more, i would like to read it, IF there was more.
Lauren
I'm BIG on good manners especially at the dinner table, so yeah...this wasn't totally up my alley. I do have major appreciation for Toon Books in general though. They have some fabulous offerings and I love the adult graphic novelists pinch hitting for this branch of Candlewick Press.
Emilia P
This was just fine. The color and the imagery was lovely, and a fair point was made about table manners. I guess the ... well. You know what. It was beautiful. It worked. The food was DELICIOUS looking. So. 4 stars it is. Again, better/cooler/funner than Modan's grownup stuff.
Shawn
This is a graphic novel in the format of an easy reader. Maya's mother's comment on her bad table manners transport Maya to the Queen's table where she is quite messy. This is not a guide to good manners, but is humorous for grades K-3.
Christiane
I love Toon Books for introducing young readers to the joy of comics. This one is particularly funny and should appeal to any child who has ever been told to have better manners!
Megann
Very cute. I think kids will love this silly story. [and I personally liked it because my parents too told to me act as though I were eating before the queen when at the table.]
Karen
Nov 12, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read
A cute book about not changing who you are ( even if you at with your hand). graphics are sharp, clean and very pleasing color choice.
Nick Douglas
A children's book by the author/illustrator of "Exit Wounds." Bought it for the beautiful illustrations. Cute story too.
Sandy Brehl
Humor is the theme here. Not much of a story otherwise. COuld be used to snare reluctant/struggling readers.
katsok
3 1/2 stars. Fun story about Maya and her lack of table manners - and a look at what's important.
Nancy
Maya is real. Love her slouch, sweatshirt and socks. Wish I was learning to read with this.
Dawn Rutherford
Very cute early graphic novel, with bright illustrations and a fun premise.
Laura Z
it's that bad manners thing...I never think it's cute.
Elisabeth
Maybe Toon Books aren't my thing?
emily
What a weird, weird book.
PWRL
Jun 12, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rutu Modan was born in Tel-Aviv in 1966. In 1992 she graduated cum laude from the illustration program at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem. Shortly after graduating, she began regularly writing and illustrating comic strips and stories for Israel's leading daily newspapers, as well as editing the Israeli edition of MAD magazine with Yirmi Pinkus. Together, they founded Actus Trag...more
More about Rutu Modan...