Start by marking “How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously*: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A simple, proven-effective formula for freeing yourself from debt—and staying that way • Revised and updated, with a new Preface by the author

“A must read for anyone wanting to get their head above water.”—The Wall Street Journal

THE CLASSIC GUIDE, REVISED WITH UP-TO-THE-MINUTE INFORMATION

OUT OF THE RED
• Do this month’s bills pile up before you’ve paid last month’s?
• Do
Published May 8th 2012 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1988)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously*

Aaron
May 13, 2014 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Puts the lessons of DA into a simple formula for success.

The author insists to put yourself and happiness first, and at the beginning, your creditors a distant second. This is repeated many times through the book, ad nauseam. Once you come up for air, put all the stared practices in place, described in a clear step-by-step fashion.

Some of the examples are a bit trite, and lack true clarity. Also, the book is a bit dated, with outdated numbers, and unaware of new vehicles of credit. H
Katie Streeter
Aug 27, 2009 Katie Streeter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hoping to "work the program"...
Novac
Oct 01, 2008 Novac added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who owes $1 or more
Whether you have $100 or $100,000 in debt, this book has many effective strategies for getting out of debt and staying out. I've read a few books about debt, and this one really does stand out above the rest.
The first section of the book helps you deal with various "broken" views regarding money and debt, helping you understand why you might feel the need to debt. The second section helps put everything into perspective and take some stress off the way you think about your financial status. The
Chavonne
I would give this a 4.5.

I really enjoyed this book. I read this not because I'm a compulsive debtor (thank goodness), but because I'm always interested in learning about other 12-step fellowships and have been learning a lot about financial stability lately. I think this is well-written with a lot of quickly-implementable, useful tools. Already I have tried a few and feel worlds more serene. The only thing that takes away from me is the chapter about couples and families. Personally, I don't bel
Lynn
Dec 16, 2009 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mundis is the master of writing self-help books. I like this one especially because A) this book helped many people I know get out of debt and buy a home, B) this book continues to prove a tried and true guide to prosperity, and C) his writing is highly motivational. The motivation comes from clarity: what he writes about is the common sense thinking and behavior that many people with money problems don't want to exercise. For example, "'You don't have to go one more dollar into debt.' 'Sure I d ...more
Colleen Wainwright
Lays out clearly and in detail how to do exactly what the title promises—a rarity in books, I'm afraid. The method described is essentially the 12-Step plan of recovery found in Debtors Anonymous (DA), so there is a spiritual component to this which ain't for everyone. But it's not so very spiritual as to be off-putting, and it's certainly not as woowoo as some New Age titles I've read. Altogether sensible and reasonable, which is *not* to say "easy". And don't be too quick to write it off if, l ...more
Amy
Jan 03, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explains well the mindfulness necessary to stop overspending and start living within one's means, and does so in a down to earth manner. Even with updates since first edition in 1988, a near complete ignorance of electronic spending/billing evident. In trying to point out that it is possible to live without any credit cards, offers lengthy, impractical, outdated steps to do so, making it look so archaic and cumbersome as to be impractical. Underestimates the necessity of some use of credit cards ...more
Amanda
May 31, 2014 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was hoping to learning something new and interesting about money management because I think it is an important part of life. Unfortunately this book is more about the psychological aspects of debt and how to change your person not your money.
Alison
Jan 19, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started me on the road to getting out of debt. It basically started with more psychological ideas like asking yourself why you think you "deserve" to have more than you can afford. It also tells you to do things like make lists of where you want to be in 5/10/etc. years and to make a listing of how much you would have to spend on different areas (e.g., clothes/eating out...) that would make you feel totally prosperous. Those activities were nice to show you that you don't need *that* m ...more
Linda Jenkinson
Jun 23, 2014 Linda Jenkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book showed me how to keep track of my money, helped me learn how to budget, and taught me how to deal with creditors. I have read it several times and recommended to many people who had questions on money management.
Steve
Feb 17, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A standard for financial recovery since the '80's. A sister gave me this upon my graduation from high school (or college?) and I finally sat down to read it in January 2010. The information within, if followed and put into practice, will help someone (or me) get out of debt and develop the life he/she has wanted to have. Personally, I needed a book like this to help me find a direction and begin implementing a plan. I don't have it down perfect yet but the work has begun.
Lynnea Taylor
Principles are sound in general but I thought it skimmed over the actual money management part and focused mainly on how did you get in debt, why you debt, etc. Plus, the references to Debtor's Anonymous and the program including a reliance on faith in a God were not my cup of tea. In all, a decent book but I'm still looking for one that will wow me in the how to be prosperous department.
Ken
Aug 30, 2009 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-finance
I am really inspired by this book, and am looking forward to putting its principles into action. Interestingly, it very much adheres to the SCRUM principles used in software engineering, predating that invention by 6 years or so. This is a very readable book, I like how each chapter is broken up into smaller digestible nuggets.
Tigerlil
Feb 03, 2013 Tigerlil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a helpful book!
It identified my financial issues based on bad habits and emotional elements. It inspired me to clean up my act and stop some really self-defeating financial habits (under-earning, vagueness about finances, etc)

I highly recommend to anyone who has financial stress
Katherine Clark
Jun 10, 2011 Katherine Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If money is an issue for you, this is the book for you. It is the best book on getting out of debt and putting money into perspective that I have read. I am not exaggerating to say that it changed my life. I have not debted since December 2010, and I give this book the credit.
Anthony Cox
Jan 17, 2010 Anthony Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-finance
I really liked this book. I am really into personal finance and found the author very down to earth and easy to follow. He has lots of helpful and motivational ideas that I have not read previously (and I've read several). I may buy this one to have in my library.
Jen
Feb 17, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly suggest this book to anyone who is in debt, has been in debt and possibly will at one point be in debt. It's a book for everyone. Great way to teach you to take responsibility before it's too late.... Great Read!
David Warner
This book is OK. It has a lot of the same principles as Dave Ramsey--pay off debt, live on less than you make, use a budget. BUT, this author says that secured debt is not actually debt, which I find to be just wrong.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that needs help with finacial debt
Recommended to Marla by: Julia Cameron and Mark Bryan
Shelves: reference
If you need help - this book will help big time! This book helped me at a time I needed to understand the cycle I was in and how to get out of it. It gave me the words I needed to write the letters I needed to write.
Chad Gorshing
There were parts in this book (many) that I completely disagreed with. Which is the reason for my low ranking, but I can't give a book wanting people to get out of debt a one start, so I gave it two :)
Ginny
Aug 06, 2009 Ginny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-have for anyone in debt and wanting to climb out of the madness. He gives solid advice on how to deal with creditors and lists the steps on becoming solvent.
MVV
Oct 18, 2013 MVV rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mandatory reading for every college freshman as they begin their adult financial life. Send it off to your college son or daughter tomorrow. I already did.
A
Oct 01, 2014 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Found it to be incredibly helpful. Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to change their mindset about money management.
Bettina Gies
Nice down-to-earth approach. Liked the references and examples of writer's biography.
Maria
Jul 13, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is WAY more fun to read, now that I'm not actually in debt anymore.
Ivars Svekris
Jun 07, 2016 Ivars Svekris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful.
Libby King
Jul 05, 2015 Libby King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Great ideas!
Ju
Oct 29, 2013 Ju added it
332.02
Matthew Pezzone
Matthew Pezzone rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • Struggle for Intimacy
  • The Random Walk Guide to Investing: Ten Rules for Financial Success
  • Suze Orman's Financial Guidebook: Put the 9 Steps to Work
  • Lifeskills for Adult Children
  • One Year to an Organized Financial Life: From Your Bills to Your Bank Account, Your Home to Your Retirement, the Week-by-Week Guide to Achieving Financial Peace of Mind
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
  • Paths to Recovery: Al-Anon's Steps, Traditions, and Concepts
  • Money Drunk/Money Sober: 90 Days to Financial Freedom
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • America Anonymous: Eight Addicts in Search of a Life
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps
  • Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Soar: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying
  • Living the Simple Life: A Guide to Scaling Down and Enjoying More
Also writes under pseudonyms Robert Calder and Eric Corder.
More about Jerrold Mundis...